FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What in Bob's name are Jatraqueros??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What in Bob's name are Jatraqueros???
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I keep hearing Jatraqueros....but I don't know what that is...I have I missed something? Or am I just too stupid to catch the joke(if it is a joke)??? I would love it if someone could explain....
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Silly noobies.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hang around for long enough and you'll be one.

Patience, grasshopper.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
You shouldn't take Bob's name in vain, SR. [No No]
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
Jatraqueros(and Jatraqueras) are just the beginning
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one. [Eek!]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Is it someone with one thousand or more posts???
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I know there's a hate-on for the term "hatrackers," but honestly, is it really that bad? I feel MUCH more like a hatracker than a jatraquera. There's just not a lot of latina in me.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
A Jatraquero is anyone who builds the Hatrack.com community.

Post count and date of first login are unimportant.

[ February 02, 2005, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly if you say it with the proper Spanish (?) pronunciation, it sounds just like Hatracker -- just a classier way of saying it. However, my foreign language skills are terrible and it never comes out sounding like that when I say it, so I just stick with Hatrackers.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Two compelling, totally irrefutable (yeah right [Smile] ) reasons "Jatraqueros" is better than "Hatrackers."

1. It rolls off the tongue so much better.
2. Since this is OSC's virtual front porch and living room, and he has expressed a great deal of love for the Brazilian people and culture (as evidenced by much of his writing,) a Brazilian name for our comunity is more fitting.
3. Since we just changed the forum name to reflect our more international standing, our group name should reflect that. "Hatrackers" is so American. Just like poor math skills [Smile] .

--Brian "Jatraquero" Hill

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it someone with one thousand or more posts???
Dang, looks like it'll be a few more years. [Grumble]
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Jatraqueros is spanish (sort of) not Portuguese.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, well that sort of changes point two. I was under the impression that the genesis of the name was Brazilian Portugese, since OSC uses a lot of Portugese in his tales. That being said, my other two points are still valid, logical and irrefutable [Smile] .

--Brian "Jatraquero-even-though-I-didn't-know-what-language-it-was-from" Hill

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
There's also the copyright issues - it allows us to use the word to refer this self-selected group of people who now have relationships that extend past this board.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
But, it doesn't "roll off my tongue" very well at all!

My Spanish pronunciation is atrocious.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't it be trademark, Dag? "Hatrack River" doesn't seem to obviously fall under any of the copyrightable categories.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I don't think trademark would provide a lot of protection here. It's more akin to making Calvin and Hobbes T-shirts without permission than to selling a brand of soap under someone else's name.

Edit: That's not to say I wouldn't put several trademark claims in the complaint if I was representing the plaintiffs in such a case, mind you. [Smile]

Dagonee

[ February 02, 2005, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Since this is OSC's virtual front porch and living room, and he has expressed a great deal of love for the Brazilian people and culture (as evidenced by much of his writing,) a Brazilian name for our comunity is more fitting.
This is why I'm a ratraquero, not a jatraquero.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

quote:
WHAT IS NOT PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT?

Several categories of material are generally not eligible for federal copyright protection. These include among others:

Titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols or designs; mere variations of typographic ornamentation, lettering, or coloring; mere listings of ingredients or contents

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wwp
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yes, but I'm sure any use of the word "Hatrack" by someone from this site could easily be traced back to an actual work, and more than just the word "Hatrack" would be similar.

So yes, I can use "Hatrack" all I want as a word. But if I make T-shirts that refer to the site somehow, even indirectly, I bet I could find a work for which a credible infringement case could be made.

Jatraqueros makes this far less likely.

Dagonee

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Kristine posted about this once as I recall, when we were discussing names for Kama Con and appropriate t-shirts etc. I know they preferred, that the term "Hatrack River" only be associated directly with this site, and now I guess the game, rather than having us put it on t-shirts that they had no control over.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Even if the name can be traced back to the original work, its only if the use of the name indicates a use of the creative work that there would be infringement; that's why fanfics (likely) infringe copyright, because the world is a creative work, or the overal personalities of the characters. The names themselves are not the creative work (almost always), its just that their use often indicates the use of a creative work (such as in fanfic).

That is not true in this case.

[ February 02, 2005, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

If someone just uses "Hatrack," there's nothing the Cards could to prevent it. Trademark would not help, copyright would not help. With the kind of things people are likely to do with the word, copyright will come up more often than trademark.

Dagonee

fugu13
Member # 2859

Lets look at the situations people would use it:

"Kiss me, I'm a Hatracker" for starters.

Clearly a trademark infringement. Where is the copyright infringement?

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Two compelling, totally irrefutable (yeah right ) reasons "Jatraqueros" is better than "Hatrackers."

1. It rolls off the tongue so much better.
2. Since this is OSC's virtual front porch and living room, and he has expressed a great deal of love for the Brazilian people and culture (as evidenced by much of his writing,) a Brazilian name for our comunity is more fitting.
3. Since we just changed the forum name to reflect our more international standing, our group name should reflect that. "Hatrackers" is so American. Just like poor math skills .

And it relfects our counting skills. [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Lets look at the situations people would use it:

"Kiss me, I'm a Hatracker" for starters.

Clearly a trademark infringement. Where is the copyright infringement?

Not clearly a trademark infringement. Not at all. It's not a directly competing product, and there's little likelihood of consumer confusion at the point of sale, given the circumstances under which they were distributed. Post-sale confusion is likely not applicable here, given the scope of the trademark.

Edit: There's also no loss of consumer autonomy or unjust enrichment involved, nor loss to the trademark owner.

With nothing else on the shirt, it's not very likely a copyright violation, either. But the possibilities exist more in this doctrine than in trademark.

Dagonee

[ February 02, 2005, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone think the Cards are actually going to take us to court over a t-shirt that says "Kiss me, I'm a Hatracker"? No. But if they have expressed a preference that we use some other term so the word stays directly associated with the site, is it polite to comply? Yes. Hence, "Kiss me, I'm a Jatraquera". [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Exactly, KQ. It's a respect thing. But the respect is for OSC based on what he's created - hence my preference to see it as copyright over trademark.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Dags what about "Hatrack Con"? That was what we were going to call it before "Kama Con". Honestly Kama Con rolls off the tounge better, but Hatrack Con would have been probably more accurate.

I can't remember where the thread is where we discussed nor do I care to wrestle with the search function. Maybe it was a private e-mail to me that Kristine mentioned it. I don't remember what I ate for lunch yesterday, so my memory is hazy on this.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Actually, something interesting: the Cards routinely use Hatrack River as a noun all over the site; plus, its been a while. I'm not sure it would hold up as a trademark in court.

I don't see how you'd show the presence of any creative work just from the word "Hatrackers", though, or any of the ways the shirt would be marketed or used, Do you have any case law to back you up?

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
How many people are there out there who don't know how to pronounce Jatraquero?

In case there's even one, it's Hat-rac-KEH-ro.

[ February 02, 2005, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Brinestone ]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I haven't yet given in to the temptation to report this thread to get an answer from Kathryn or Kristine's perspective.

But I am tempted [Wink]

AJ

[ February 02, 2005, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? I've always pronounced it "Haht-rah-KERR-o". [Wink]

[ February 02, 2005, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I wonder if the upcoming Hatrack video RPG game will change the status of the word.
fugu13
Member # 2859

To elaborate: the use of Hatracker in a way intended to show association with the site Hatrack (edit: as it was) could certainly dilute the efficacy of the Hatrack mark (assuming it is a mark). For instance, if someone wearing such a shirt did something which would be embarassing/misrepresentational of OSC's position.

But I see no connection to a creative work (edit: by OSC) that includes "Hatrack".

edit to restate last line: But I see no use of a creative work by OSC (that presumably uses "Hatrack").

[ February 02, 2005, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If it is indeed meant to be Spanish, then Jatraquero ought to be pronounced hat-rah-KHE-ro, neh?

Any opinion from our native Spanish speakers?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a native speaker, but that's how I pronounce it.

edit: actually, I'm not sure I know exactly what you meant in your pronunciation, so it very well might be different.

[ February 02, 2005, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Without an accent mark the emphasis would be on the second to last sylable (sp?) in spanish, but it's supposed to portuguese so I don't know what it would be. But it's too much work to put in an accent mark every time any way.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

rivka, it took me about 4 tries to write out how I pronounce it, but yes, that's how I pronounce it. Except I roll the "r" a little.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Well is a website a creative work? Cause this is certainly www.hatrack.com

AJ

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
DOH!

Yeah, I meant to say the emphasis is on care. Actually, I agree that KAY-ro is closer than care-o. Above post will be modified accordingly.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I don't see how you'd show the presence of any creative work just from the word "Hatrackers", though, or any of the ways the shirt would be marketed or used, Do you have any case law to back you up?
No, that's why that shirt isn't likely a violation. But I can see changes to the shirt that would make it more likely to be a copyright infringemnt; I can't imagine any changes that make it trademark infringement.

quote:
the use of Hatracker in a way intended to show association with the site Hatrack (edit: as it was) could certainly dilute the efficacy of the Hatrack mark (assuming it is a mark).
The mark on a T-shirt isn't competing w/ a product of OSC. I doubt a merchandising rights case could be made here.

quote:
For instance, if someone wearing such a shirt did something which would be embarassing/misrepresentational of OSC's position.
That's not really a trademark issue. Misconduct while pretending to be a representative of OSC via use of the mark might be, but there's no reasonable suggestion of agency from wearing such a T-shirt - not in today's society.

Dagonee

[ February 02, 2005, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Well is a website a creative work? Cause this is certainly " target="_blank">www.hatrack.com[/quote]

Copying the site would be a clear infringement. Putting a picture or recreation of the site on a t-shirt would very probably be an infringement.

Dagonee

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

So what must you do to be considered a Jatraquero? Is there some sort of test where you walk across lava? [Dont Know]

[ February 02, 2005, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggles*

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Or do you become a Jatraquero after you write your first landmark??? If so I am getting close.....
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, you become one by wanting to be one. By considering yourself an active member of the community. There are no hard and fast rules, and it has nothing to do with postcount.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
That would make sense...
For me the Landmark was a goal, but also just knowing who people are, respecting friendly debate, and knowing the rules of the communtiy are what make you a true Jatraquero.

[or as Eljay said...active member of the community, no set in stone rules]

[ February 02, 2005, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Well if thats true then I suppose the whole time I was asking what a Jatraquero was I was one......thats cool........or are you just tricking me and I really do have to walk across that lava after all? [Dont Know] [Eek!] [Angst]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.