FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What in Bob's name are Jatraqueros??? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What in Bob's name are Jatraqueros???
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
If you really feel the need for a rite of passage, I'd be happy to make one up for you. [Big Grin]

(Warning: You'll want to say no on this one.)

[ February 02, 2005, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Go for it......I'll walk over lava if I have to
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Don't be silly. I'm going to give you a research/writing project. [Smile]

Lemmee think about it and I'll post it later tonight.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Oh don't make it too hard......I have a massive headache......and probably won't be on again until tomorrow.....I have a ton of Algebra homework..... [Hat]

[ February 02, 2005, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I will take that into consideration. But no worries about the workload... there's no due date.

Especially since the whole point of the thing is to declare you a Jatraquero, which I have no authority to do anyway. [Smile] But I'll try to construct the project in such a way that you'll feel like one when you're done.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay, I have some suggestions of things to include, if you want.

[Evil]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Sounds good *runs off to his corner and quivers in fear* [Angst]
ElJay
Member # 6358

rivka, that sounds fabulous. [Smile] I've got a draft list, but I'd love the imput. I'll e-mail you when I get home, or you can just use my hotmail account if you want to send something now. It's eljay at hotmail dot com.

Steve, I did tell you you should say no. [Razz]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I am just not good at saying n.... that word.....but anyway when will I find out what my assignment is??
ElJay
Member # 6358

I'm at work now, Steve, and I just check in in little bursts between doing things. I want to give your project the thought and consideration it deserves, so I'll post it after I get home tonight... and after I consult with rivka. And anyone else who has suggestions, of course. [Smile]

Edit: Oh, and remember that the first time you said "yes" to me you got more than you bargined for. Maybe you should consider me a good person to practice saying "no" too. [Big Grin] It's a skill that will undoubtably benefit you later in life.

[ February 02, 2005, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

And how late will that be? If it is later then 8 o' clock I won't see it until tomorrow....my parents won't let me on the computer past 8(central time in the U.S.) on a weekday

Edit: It wasn't more than I bargained for....I was hoping someone would give some decent advice and explain to me the system....and I thank you for being brave enough to do it.......now I am not such a noob....if at all

[ February 02, 2005, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

You probably won't see it until tomorrow, then. I'm in central as well, and I work 'til 7 and then it takes about 30 minutes to get home. But that's fine... rites of passage should have some build-up. *nodnod*
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I see you forgot to tell me what my assignment is........don't forget again.....I would like to get started on it so it can be in my landmark.........I'm getting kind of close....I mean because I plan to do a 500 landmark....
ElJay
Member # 6358

I didn't forget, actually, I left my notes at work. [Blushing] But rivka e-mailed me some excellent suggestions this morning, and I'll put them together with my stuff when I get home tonight, and you can do it over the weekend. [Big Grin]

Sorry for the delay...

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Shabbatraqueros - those who don't post between Friday sundown and Saturday sundown.
That's me. Although, it's Saturday starsout, not sundown.

Cheers,

JH

P.S. Am I officially a Jatraquero?

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Roll Eyes]

You can do the rite of passage along with SteveRogers when I post it if it will make you feel better. Otherwise, same answer. If you consider yourself a part of the community, you're a jatraquero.

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Jatraquero - Spanish-like.

If the word was derived from Portuguese, it would be like "Ratraqueiro".

"J" sounds like "H" in Spanish, not in Portuguese.

Words ended in "-ero" are much more common in Spanish than in Portuguese. We use the sufix "-eiro". Note, for example, that Porter's nickname is "Porteiro", not "Portero".

Not that I dislike "Jatraquero". I find it rather cool. [Smile]

[ February 03, 2005, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Eduardo_Sauron ]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to have a member number below 1000 to be allowed to offciate at the rite of passage of a newbie to a full time member.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Especially since the whole point of the thing is to declare you a Jatraquero, which I have no authority to do anyway. [Smile]
I acknowledged that, Hobbes [Smile] . You wanna take over, since you're official? [Smile]
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Hobbes, you make up a rule that gives a limited amount of people the absolute unvetoable authority, and this authority's legitimacy is determined not by democratic votes for one to become an authentic entity, but rather your own despotic arrogance?

You're evil. I like that!

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, you missed the meeting where we decided to move from member number to post count as the defining criteria. You've been demoted to peon.

Now get me a cup of coffee!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Thanks, Dagonee!

But now, my post is obsolete. Oh, heck, at least the extra PostCount.

ElJay
Member # 6358

Even going by post count, I don't think Hobbes [Smile] qualifies as a peon. Now, if you went by post frequency, obviously, Dag would be the high king of Hatrack...

Which is why we won't be going to post frequency anytime soon. [Big Grin]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Does this change anything??? Is EJ still the one giving me my assignment or is it Hobbes?
ElJay
Member # 6358

I think Hobbes [Smile] was just kidding, SR. Unless he steps up and volunteers before I get home tonight, I will give you what rivka & I came up with. [Smile]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Ok...*wipes brow and sighs* I was all set to do your impossible task.........I didn't want another to try his hand at it
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] Oh, it won't be impossible. Just... maybe... challenging.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Did you guys decide on the thing with thing? I hope you checked with CT to make sure the rumors about possible scarring aren't true.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Dags, the guy was willing to walk on lava, I don't think you're gonna scare him that way.

How I was supposed to get lava to Missouri I'm not sure. [Dont Know]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That is what planes are for........you dressed as a sensei.........could meet me.......in Hawaii....and then you can witness me walking across lava.........but I'm pretty sure I will like this more than walking across lava [Dont Know]
ElJay
Member # 6358

I walked across lava several times while I was in Hawaii last week.
rivka
Member # 4859

I think he meant more this or this than this.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I think it needs to be liquid hot mag-ma.
ElJay
Member # 6358

But did he specify? No, he did not. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

A point you have.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Right on the top of my head.

Check your e-mail, pretty please.

rivka
Member # 4859

I wasn't going to mention that one.

And go check your own email. [Wink]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.