FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm trying to picture you all in your underwear... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I'm trying to picture you all in your underwear...
landybraine
Member # 10807

- posted      Profile for landybraine   Email landybraine         Edit/Delete Post 
...because I've been having a serious case of stage fright for some time now.

I've been reading Hatrack for about six years now, and have never really felt comfortable enough to post. Partly because I'm scared of the Grammar Police, and I also admire a lot of people who post here--which makes me a little nervous posting myself. Funny, I've been to twenty-four schools in my life, made a ton of new friends, and it's ann online community which gives me the most stress.

I'm also not sure how to begin. Do I tell you about myself, or do I just start posting? If there are any Hatrackers out there who would like to hold my hand a bit, it would be greatly appreciated.

Here's some tidbits about myself to start the introduction process:

I was given Ender's Game at age 12 by my sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Lindsay. Best. Teacher. Ever. I have since read most of OSC's work.

I was "raised" Morman until the age of 14, but my mother was semi-active at best, and it never felt totally right for me. I still lovingly remember "I am a Child of God", though.

I am a mother of a beautiful six year old boy, and have always wanted to chat with some of you Hatrack mom's out there.

So, here's to finally doing it!

Hi, Hatrack!

[ September 14, 2007, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: landybraine ]

Posts: 99 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
You misspelled Mormon. [Wink]

Hi!

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you've already gotten past the "how do I start" point! Congrats!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
hi [Smile]

*covers self with towel*

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
landybraine
Member # 10807

- posted      Profile for landybraine   Email landybraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Matt...way to make a girl feel loved. There was also an extra "n" attached to another word...but you only get the points for "Mormon".
Posts: 99 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy.

Besides OSC, what are some of your favorite books/authors?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, landybraine! Welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
landybraine
Member # 10807

Hi, Kama...Goody! Don't worry Kama, I've seen it all before. In my house, I'm lucky if I get a chance to put a towel on before someone comes barging in!
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I think she was obviously referncing the amazing superhero, "Mor-man", spreading LDS through the world!
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh good, I've got my nice underwear on today. Good thing you weren't looking yesterday -- it was laundry day. [Smile]

Welcome! Nice to meet you.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and hi landybraine! [Smile]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by landybraine:
Thanks, Matt...way to make a girl feel loved. There was also an extra "n" attached to another word...but you only get the points for "Mormon".

Hey, no problem. I misspelled "misspelled" initially and had to edit my post to fix it before I was found out for the spelling fraud that I am.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and welcome. I think Matt was just being funny since you said you were nervous about the grammar police.

You sound like just the sort of person to fit in here.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack! There's no one right way to go about becoming a member of the community, but it never hurts to share a bit about yourself as you've done. I'm sure that you'll fit in here quite well.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! Six years is a long time to lurk, but I think you'll find we're mostly nice. My boys are 10 and 7 (the seven year old will be eight in two weeks, as he keeps reminding me). I first came to Hatrack when he was a baby.

Glad to meet you!

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
landybraine
Member # 10807

To be totally honest, I'm suprised I picked NOW to say hi- as it seems like Hatrack has had its fair share of touchiness lately. But it's also given a lot of you a chance to shine with the way you've handled yourselves. Sorry if that sounds bold. Just an observation. I'm very excited, though. This has been on my To-Do list for, well, years.
landybraine
Member # 10807

Olivet, it's nice to meet you too! My little one isn't actually six yet...he just insists that he is, so I think I've picked up on it! He's still got two months to go.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it never hurts to share a bit about yourself
Unless you are a some sort of kitten eating, book defiling, Harry Potter spoiling minion of Satan. In that case, you are probably better off keeping that to yourself.

Incidentally, it's spelled underwear. And I guess we're even, because I'm picturing you in my underwear too.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
It should only get easier from here... [Smile]

And welcome. [Smile]

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
landybraine
Member # 10807

This is why I love Hatrack! Yes, it is spelled underwear...and until two seconds before I posted this thread, I agonized over "ware" or "wear". I even changed it once, changed it back, thought about going to the dictionary, but then said NO. That's what I get for being lazy.
landybraine
Member # 10807

Thanks Katarain...I imagine I'll make many more of these little mistakes...let's see if you all can put up with it!
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Unless you are a some sort of kitten eating, book defiling, Harry Potter spoiling minion of Satan. In that case, you are probably better off keeping that to yourself.

Well, unless she's polite about it.

So landybrane, how did you fist stuble onto Hatrack, way back when?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
"Pardon me sir, would you mind terribly if I subjugated your body and corrupted your soul into the service of my dark master? Yes? Oh well, then I'm sorry for bothering you then and I hope you have a super day!"

She worships Canadian Satan.

---

Incidentally, the fist stuble thing was hilarious.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:

Incidentally, the fist stuble thing was hilarious.

:: laugh :: It is pretty funny, isn't it? I have no idea how that came out of my fingers. You'd think that the "r" and "m" keys were broken on my keyboard, but they don't appear to be.
landybraine
Member # 10807

I was searching out OSC, and found this website. I've lurked and left and lurked some more until I started to feel like I was already a part of this community...without the whole "community" part. [Dont Know]

Over the past couple of years, I've grown up a lot, and I think now I'm ready to talk. Before, I thought I knew everything. Now, I know that's not true, and it's been a very liberating thing for me. Now, I'm really coming into myself, and learning who I am. It's got me wanting good convesation.

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
If you are nervous about the high quality of discourse and intelligentsia here...you've clearly avoided all my posts.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
landybraine
Member # 10807

Just so no one thinks I'm some Harry Potter hating kitty-eater...The seventh book came out on my birthday, and I was one of the first in line with a big dopey grin on my face. And I have two big, fat kitties who have yet to be eaten. (Although, they are plump enough!)

::Eyes kitty::

landybraine
Member # 10807

Phanto, you've kept me laughing for some time now...I've done all but avoid your posts. [Smile]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to hatrack landybraine! Incidentally without actually looking carefully at your name I thought it was initially, "ladybrain." Do you get that alot?

Glad to have you join the community, remember your child is at the appropriate age to be enrolled in Battle School, better get on that. [Big Grin]

[ September 14, 2007, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh shoot. Not wearing underwear today.

So Landybraine who do you admire here? In six years you ought to have lots of favorites.

Please don't answer that question. Welcome

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
It's strange to think that you've been here for longer than I have...
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Welcome to hatrack landybraine! Incidentally without actually looking carefully at your name I thought it was initially, "ladybrain."

Yeah, I misread it for a second too.

quote:
Or have you not read Ender's Game but have read other Card books?
quote:
Originally posted by landybraine:

I was given Ender's Game at age 12 by my sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Lindsay. Best. Teacher. Ever. I have since read most of OSC's work.

I assume that she read it when Mrs. Lindsay gave it to her, but I guess you never know. [Wink]
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to mostly lurk too. I read the boards all the time- but fairly rarely post. I'm on a posting binge if I post like 10 times in just a couple of days.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack is a fun place to just exist and look, and I'm very glad such a community is now a little bigger! A big newbie welcome to longtime lurker Landybraine! Yay!
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon: Sorry I totally spaced there.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome. Get out there and start posting. [Smile]
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and welcome! If you're anxious about your spelling, many of us use ieSpell and/or Google Toolbar (and/or something for Firefox I can't remember), free downloads that can check your spelling for you before you post. [Smile]

As for grammar, yours seems fine to me. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wilkommen! Bienvenue! Welcome!

I also have stage fright about posting here. Every single gosh-darn time. It does get easier, though. [Smile] The best cure: practice!

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
See, your first mistake... you're assuming everyone here wears underwear.

Otherwise... Welcome! [Wink]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! We're a strange bunch, but fun.

Glad you decided to de-lurk and join us. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!
If it helps you any, I favor cami-tanks and black cotton undies.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Landy. Nice first post. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not wearing any underwear.

You're welcome [Big Grin]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Noemon: Sorry I totally spaced there.

I was just playing around, BlackBlade; I figured you had just missed that line of her post.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed the spirit of the thread, because I was trying to be welcoming.

So, let me do this properly, then. I do not match today - white bra, pink cotton undies - really pink, not formerly white but washed with red t-shirt pink.

If you care at all, that is currently covered up by a pair of dark jeans and a purple t-shirt with "Springville Tigers" spelled out in gold. It's homecoming, and we're getting ready to go to the high school football game. Go Tigers!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

You know, I have absolutely no idea what color of underwear I have on.

::checks::

Grey.

Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the exclusive club of members with under 100 posts! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this image will help.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, dang. I had to check as well. [Smile]

I also don't match, but much more egregiously than Belle - red plaid undies, polka-dotted bra. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
Maybe this image will help.

Hobbes [Smile]

You're wearing brilliantly green underpants, Hobbes?
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.