FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » At the Risk of Being a Prude (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: At the Risk of Being a Prude
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't have sex before marriage.

Seriously, it's just stupid.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Millions of people say otherwise every day [Wink]
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
QuinnM
Member # 6835

- posted      Profile for QuinnM           Edit/Delete Post 
Your views are yours, and just because someone else chooses to do otherwise doesnt mean that its stupid, its just a different choice. People in India dont eat cows... but how many americans could live without that? its not stupid, just different
Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread may be the forum equivalent of flypaper. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

The frog will eat well tonight.

And having sex before marriage is stupid. It's been proven.

[ September 07, 2004, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

He was just testing out the troll waters.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody always uses the word prude as an insult.

But I'll admit it right here -- I am a prude, and I don't think I want to change.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder about the definition of a prude.

I think I'm only a prude outside of the home. Or when people that aren't my husband are in mine.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott -- I wan't aware that "stupid" is a provable concept. [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you can't prove to someone they're stupid. Knowing one is stupid is the beginning of wisdom, so once that's known they're not stupid anymore.

Which means they're wrong about being stupid, which probably makes them stupid again.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
What if you can't technically get married though?
I for one hate the notion of having sex with a person you barely know, but when one is desparate... they do the most illogical things.
But still, having sex with a total stranger seems so... icky.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Um. . .

quote:
they do the most illogical things.
The essence of stupidity. . .

[ September 07, 2004, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Calling them illogical is nicer than calling them stupid I guess.... [Dont Know]
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Notice I haven't called anyone stupid.

I have said they've done stupid things.

Like have sex before marriage.

It's stupid.

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI - "people that aren't my husband are in mine."

In your...what?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I meant me...
I said illogical to not call them stupid...

How about making out before marriage?

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Trevor -- I'm pretty sure that PSI is referring to other people in her home.

[ September 07, 2004, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor:

In mine = In my home. The possessive pronoun "mine" obviously doesn't refer to husband or people, so you move to the next closest noun. Hmm, I see that it is "home". Since it's logical that "mine" could refer to "home" it's okay to assume that it does. : P

[ September 07, 2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WraithSword
Member # 6829

- posted      Profile for WraithSword   Email WraithSword         Edit/Delete Post 
Did I cause this?
Posts: 100 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, some people would argue that it's stupid to get married to someone with the intent of spending the rest of your life with them, without first finding out if you're sexually compatible with each other. Your intended may be a cold fish in bed, and now you're stuck with a lifetime of bad sex because you didn't test the waters before you took the plunge.

Not that I'm supporting one course or the other, mind you. Just playing Devil's Advocate here. [Smile]

(Edited to fix the unintentional and obnoxious repetition of 'advocate'.)

[ September 07, 2004, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
That's your fault for not talking with them deeply and comprehensively about sex. [Razz]

Reminds me of people who get married and suddenly realize their spouse doesn't want kids but you do. It's like, Did you *talk* before you got married?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

No. They were too busy having sex.
beverly
Member # 6246

[ROFL]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

But seriously, folks. Intelligent people can find out if they are "sexually compatible" without having sex. Anything you can't find out until after having sex should be unimportant and covered by love and compasion for your spouse.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I'm serious. It's easy to get sucked into the physical aspect of a relationship too early if you aren't committed to avoiding it, and getting physical is one of THE EASIEST ways to sidestep communicating. It's hard to think about politics and stuff when you're focused...well, focused is a bad word because it implies a use of the brain...but when you're too physically attentive.
beverly
Member # 6246

You are *so* right. Been there, done that. [Smile]
dabbler
Member # 6443

quote:
But seriously, folks. Intelligent people can find out if they are "sexually compatible" without having sex. Anything you can't find out until after having sex should be unimportant and covered by love and compasion for your spouse.

Not everyone's sole argument for having sex is for figuring out if they'll be a sexually compatible married couple. Many people do it because they want to.

quote:
and getting physical is one of THE EASIEST ways to sidestep communicating.
I hope you aren't insinuating that people who have sex outside of marriage are always sidestepping communication. Sure, it's possible. It's possible to be in a non-sexual relationship and STILL be sidestepping communication. I have had no problems knowing and understanding my lovers beyond the physical sense.
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Not everyone's sole argument for having sex is for figuring out if they'll be a sexually compatible married couple. Many people do it because they want to.
Psst. I think they use it as a justification because it *is* what they want to do. Alls I'm sayin' is that it is a pretty lame justification. Now, if you're just doing it because you want to, at least you are being honest. [Razz]

[ September 07, 2004, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not to mention that theoretically, anyone who truly was the right spouse in all other ways could, with patience and compassion, be taught how to "behave" in bed.

I can understand (and argue for) both sides. Like I said, Devil's Advocate.
[Evil]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Suneun, I come from a position that, when you are thinking about sex, you aren't thinking about anything else.

Also, I believe that new lovers are generally going to be focused on sex. Now, as time wears on and sex wears out, you'll get back to the talking and learning. And there may even be a few nuggets of learning in the middle here and there. But I will defend the position that there isn't much thinking going on when one is worried about getting lucky.

beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Not to mention that theoretically, anyone who truly was the right spouse in all other ways could, with patience and compassion, be taught how to "behave" in bed.
Mmmmm, mmmmm. The lovely truth.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
Mmmmm, mmmmm. The lovely truth.
Uh, forgive me but . . . was that agreement, or sarcasm? [Confused]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'm pretty sure that was agreement.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
when you are thinking about sex, you aren't thinking about anything else
Baloney. The amount of random and non-related items that pop into my head while making out or having sex (even if it is excellent sex) are truly staggering. (And it didn't matter whether the relationship was young or more mature either.) On the other hand few people have as much difficulty trying to stop thinking as I do, so maybe I'm the exception and not the rule.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
You GO, mph!
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Lets work with a hypothetical here. You're either a guy with a vasectomy, or a girl with your tubes tied (as the latter still has a moderately high rate of failure, focus on the rather reliable former), and you only have sex with someone you're in a long term relationship with, with each of you being tested for STDs before having sex, and at regular intervals throughout. Furthermore, the pill and condoms are in use. So we've reduced the chance of getting pregnant, ever, to rather less than the chance of getting struck by lightning and dying (or any of several other really bad things). Is it still stupid to have sex before marriage? If so, why?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I mostly agree with PSI. If you get too physical too early on in a relationship, then the ability of the two to really get to know each other suffers.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I still feel like sex discourages thinking for the more enjoyable romanticizing. (sp?) Not just during sex, but in general. It's easy to think you're deep in love with the person, to the point where you are less concerned about how you'd fare in a marriage.
dabbler
Member # 6443

quote:
I mostly agree with PSI. If you get too physical too early on in a relationship, then the ability of the two to really get to know each other suffers.
I think this is an insulting generalization. Even if you could set up a study and discover that X percentage of premarital sex couples have Y knowledge/understanding of each other while X+20 percentage of no-premarital couples have Y knowledge/understanding of each other, you will NEVER find that all couples of one are better than all couples of the other.

Does that make sense?

I totally and COMPLETELY disagree with your apparent statement that it is impossible for my relationship to be As Beautious as your relationship because I have premarital sex.

This is, in a nutshell, the same kind of argument seen in other places. That a gay loving relationship can not be As Beautious as a straight loving relationship. Bullocks.

Please realize you are holding a most incredible condescending viewpoint with sweeping generalizations.

dabbler
Member # 6443

Feel free to replace "as beautious" with any other descriptors you'd like. My contention still stands.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I didn't say the things you are apparently hearing.

Let me say again what I believe. If a relationship gets too phyical too soon, then that relationship tends to become mostly about the physical aspect, and the rest of the relationship suffered.

I made no judgement call anybody else's relationship. I never said my relationship is better than anybody else's.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*biting tounge to keep from saying things I'll regret*
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
ya know what's stupid?

buying a car without test-driving it first...

of course, I'm being realistic. I don't have the time or energy it takes to be zealously religious.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

Mkay. I'll believe that you don't believe what I stated above. But there are others (not you) that _do_ believe that. And I'd like them to come forth if they're there.

So lets take the two situations:

a) You marry someone you've known for a year.

b) You have sex with someone you've been dating for three years. You get married after two more years.

How does the relationship in (b) suffer, especially when compared to (a)?

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good Fugu.
The main reasons why sex before marriage is/was taboo is because of STD's and children.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Verily, it was agreement. Just in case there was still any doubt. [Big Grin]
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug*

Sex before marriage is a pretty stupid thing to do. Lots of risks, no benefit other than pleasure. Also on this list are things like eating chocolate, holding it in during a movie, driving a few blocks instead of walking, etc. etc.

I've got no qualms with him thinking it's stupid. Huge qualms with him saying nobody should ever do it as he is in sole possession of the knowledge of the path to happiness. Fortunately he's not saying that.

Sadly he hasn't posted in this thread in a while and the Hatrack Moral Authority (TM) has taken over.

*leaves thread*

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HenryW
Member # 6053

- posted      Profile for HenryW   Email HenryW         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok how bout this -

You (and your partner) are homosexual. Most states (and maybe soon even the federal constitution - geesh, couldn't do ERA but can do this) don't allow you to marry. What to do?

Or - say I am married, can I have sex with anyone I want?

I am so confused....

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

dabbler -- You don't know what I believe as far as the specifics of your points are concerned.

You've never seen me say that I believe or disbelieve those ideas.

beverly
Member # 6246

Fugu, that is an interesting hypothetical. The answer depends on the person and their view of sex. It also has a great deal to do with their faith or lack thereof. Obviously there are plenty of people who don't think extra-marital sex is stupid.

If you want to know my own personal answer to your question, it is that I believe sex is a sacred gift from God, one that He intends for use between husband and wife. I believe it is both for reproduction and to bind husband and wife together in love and unity.

I also think that God knows how unrealistic it is to expect a large percentage of His children to actually live thus--given the powerful nature of the sex drive. But that doesn't change the fact that it is His requirement of those who would truly follow Him and receive His greatest blessings. He is also willing to forgive those who forsake and repent.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.