FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » At the Risk of Being a Prude (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: At the Risk of Being a Prude
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
And I still think you're using anecdotal evidence to insinuate that this happens often/frequently/commonly.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

If I couldn't interpret your words properly, perhaps it's because I read it how it seemed to read:

quote:
Oh, and perhaps the reason that there is a 50% divorce rate is BECAUSE of all the premarital sex--it is at LEAST a contributing factor.

So you say:
Premarital sex is a contributing factor of divorce, possibly the reason we have 50% divorce rate.

And I say:
I don't think that premarital sex can be said to be a cause (factor) of divorce in most cases, because it's impossible to prove such causation. It seems that your argument is that because A happened before B, A is a contributing factor to B. And I disagree.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

An anecdote involves telling a story or recounting an event or an incident.

I never used any anecdotal evidence.

It is my opinion. I never insinuated anything. I think you are misrepresenting my words in your rewrite of what I said.

Do I think premarital sex is the sole contributor to the high divorce rate? No. I don't even think it's on the top of the list as a direct cause.

I DO, however, believe that the "modern" attitudes about sex and marriage are the cause of the high divorce rate. And in a way, premarital sex could be said to be a part of that.

There's no way to PROVE this. There's no way to PROVE what you believe either. However, if someone were to do a study--NOT ME--I'd bet money that a correllation between divorce, STDs, ETC. and the sexual "revolution" could be found.

I'd be more likely to say that since A (Premarital sex) happened before B (Marriage), C (Complications) were caused that affected B, leading to D (Divorce). But it's not a MATH problem and it's not ALWAYS true.

You irk me.

-Katarain

[ September 08, 2004, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Katarain ]

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone irks everyone today.

:pulls automatic pie-flinger from his pocket:

See? Guess I wasn't happy to see you after all.

:blasts TomDavidson into a dripping mound of lemon merengue goo:

[ September 08, 2004, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Did he deserve that?
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Most definitely. Did you expect me to use the GOOD pie on him? No, the pecan pie is for OSC, if ever he'd pop his head out long enough for me to catch him.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
How on earth did so many people take a fairly lame dobie and get so riled up?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

Katarain, you irk me too. I think you presented your initial point with the semblance that it was a strong cause. Now that I question that, you clarify that it's not the top cause or even perhaps in most cases. That's good enough for me and I thank you for that.

Sorry to have irked you.

Scott R
Member # 567

:wince:

Fairly lame?

:pout:

Of course, I can't pie YOU, Dag. You're a Christian. I'm a Christian. . .

Hm. . . well, actually, if I switch my viewpoint to looking at myself the way that some Protestants look at me, I'm not a Christian.

So, EAT CHOCOLATE CHESS, YOU CHRISTIAN DOG!

:flurry of pie-ing ensues:

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*small voice* Now I want some chocolate.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Juliette prefers tart, fruity pies. I prefer sweet, creamy pies. It's kind of sad, really.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll always get people riled up if you say something that can be interpreted as "X is a sin" because invariably someone on the list has X as a part of their way of life.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

According to Jack Chick, we're both in the Hell-express lane.

So how about some KEY LIME!

Dagonee
*knows fairly lame dobies well. [Big Grin]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

quote:
You'll always get people riled up if you say something that can be interpreted as "X is a sin" because invariably someone on the list has X as a part of their way of life
That's because of the very real concern that X will become illegal.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It is in at least one state...
dabbler
Member # 6443

BTW Katarain, because I was thinking that it's possible to imagine me saying the Sorry line in a snide way, I in no way mean it in a snide way. I'm sorry that my text voice is harsh in a way that I don't intend, and I'm sorry that I misunderstand the meaning behind certain people's posts (I tend to misread certain people more than others, due to various differences). I do hope I try my best to clarify and understand the real meaning, as I tried to do earlier with MPH.
Scott R
Member # 567

Sorry, kat, you are definitely Mormon. I cannot critisize, or otherwise malign a fellow Mo. It says so in the Book of Mormon, somewhere.

But if you rile TomD enough, he'll pie you. Maybe. He'll probably get all rational and serious though. He hasn't been doing many pie-ings lately. Pity.

I don't debate the fact that you could probably use a good pie to the face. Everyone could. Except me. I'm on a diet.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*pies Scott*

*repeatedly!* [Big Grin]

Here, kat, have a chocolate cream! *lobs*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee -- which state is it illegal to have pre-marital sex in?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

A Jew-born pie! Alas! I am entranced by its odd combination of tzimmes and zhug!!

:Yields to rivka's superior pie throwing capabilities:

[ September 08, 2004, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Also, I think that it is an completely unfair to respond to "X is wrong" as though they had said "X should be illegal". Many people have said that they feel premarital sex is wrong, but nobody has even hinted that it should be made illegal.
rivka
Member # 4859

Ooops.

Nobody said we couldn't use store-bought. [Blushing]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

I'm not responding as though you specifically want it to be illegal. But the reason people argue this point is many-fold. In the public, a concern that people have is that the fundamentalist viewpoint will become law. I believe TD agreed on this point in his thread.

You stated a generality, I answered with a generality. Was that excessive of me?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

MPH - Virginia see http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62581-2004Sep4.html
Katarain
Member # 6659

Dabbler, it's cool. I didn't respond because I was picking up my husband. (In a car--not literally)

So I'm sorry for being unclear and so thin-skinned.

[Smile]

-Katarain

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Tzimmes and zhug?! Odd combination.

How bout a little za'atar with that? [Wink]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

[Smile] @ Katarain.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Dabbler -- I was also speaking in generalities, and then gave this thread as a specific example. We're cool.

Many times I have said something like "People shouldn't X" and people respond as though I said "People shouldn't be allowed to X".

I just think it sad that if you make a moral judgment about something, people jump up and down that you are trying to remove their rights.

It is for everybody's interest that we don't cry wolf when it comes to the infringing of rights.

Katarain
Member # 6659

Oooh, let's talk about making things legal!!! [Smile]

hehe

-Katarain

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Thanks for the link, Dag.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I cannot critisize, or otherwise malign a fellow Mo.
I once had a roommate named Mo. Well, her name was Maureen, but she went by Mo.

She was a tiny little thing with a Ralphiesque rack, so I'm pretty sure she triggered some inappropriate thoughts amongst unmarried persons.

I don't know what they did about that, though.

(Does this count as maligning Mo? or her admirers? I'm so confused! But since I am not a fellow Mo -- alas -- I shall not be troubled too much. And I can wear linen/wool mixed fabric, although I won't.)

[ September 08, 2004, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Remember to save some key lime for Ol' Scratch,
I hear it's his favorite, so store up a batch.

[Big Grin]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's his favorite because more souls have been sold for a slice of real key lime pie than any other confection.

Soul donuts included.

Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously different people have different points-of-view on sex. It has different meanings for different people. I think that everyone should just find people who have similar attitudes on sex, and date those people. Why concern yourself with other people’s sex lives?
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe people get riled up not because they are afraid of legislation, or because they think stupid = sinful, but because they simply don't like being called stupid.

quote:
I care because I have personally taken care of two children whose mothers did not understand that sex before marriage is stupid.
Hey. I had sex before marriage. I was aware of the ramifications and prepared to deal with the consequences. I also used protection. And the sex came about as a result of our deeper communication, not as an impediment to it. Oh, and I personally take care of two children whose birth-mother and -father were married, so I'm not sure what this anecdotal evidence proves.

*shrug*

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

mmmmm! Toasted meringue! Yum! [Big Grin]
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, going back to your post on page three, I think most of your points, even if completely accurate, suggest not that conceiving out of wedlock is stupid but that delivering out of wedlock is stupid (or at least, somewhat disadvantaged over conceiving in wedlock).

As the topic under discussion is sex, which does not necessarily lead to conception, much less delivery, this is somewhat of an unwarranted step. It assumes the two people having sex, ready to have a child, would not if having a child go through the process of getting married. I know it would be a step I'd almost certainly undertake, were someone I was having sex with conceive.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
*thinks marrying someone just because they're the father/mother of your baby is stupid*
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*thinks marrying someone just because they're the father/mother of your baby is stupid*
Yes. But if you were in a situation like Russell is talking about, there would be ample reasons to get married apart from the appearance of a baby. Otherwise the couple in question wouldn't be having sex in the first place.

However, this is clearly not an ideal way of becoming engaged.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.