FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note (Page 16)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I find it unlikely that Carter can do anything in command that can't be done by a Caldwell or the like. Also, Atlantis is already on Earth so McKay should not be up to much.

Besides, even if the heavy-hitters are too busy for a few hours here or there, even the second-stringers like Zelenka or Lee should be good enough to at least keep an eye on Rush, if not do a better job.

Remember, Rush is still locked out of the ships systems and does not have access to the on-board databases, something that should be child's play and for all the claims as to his competence, he hasn't actually done all that much.

No, I understand that from a story-telling perspective, they have to bar themselves from the overly competent characters they've created for the other Stargates. But from a practical POV, when there are problems like a medical emergency I will have to wonder why they don't bring in a Keller, or for a translation problem a Daniel, and etc.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Good episode. Next week looks good too. I think it's starting to sink into a groove.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Aaaaah, Atlantis is back in Pegasus, they moved it back.

Also Carter has a life as well as more pressing duties, we have no idea how "locked" out lock out is, it could be locked out to the extant that they know neither McKay or Carter could help with.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Amanda Tapping is now Helen Magnus of Sanctuary. Can't be two places at once. Unless she is cloned. Or replicated. Heh.

Maybe Rush doesn't have the special gene needed to operate Ancient systems. The guy who piloted the shuttle in the previous episode must have the gene. Or maybe the Destiny was built earlier, before the Ancients added the special gene requirement.

What Stargate Command needs to do is round up about a dozen zero point modules, use half of them to power the gate on earth so they can dial up the ship, and transport the remaining zero point modules to the ship, so they will have a power source sufficient to enable their stargate to dial up earth, so they can all go home. I wonder how many would choose to stay on the Destiny?

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Aaaaah, Atlantis is back in Pegasus, they moved it back.

No, it's not.

Where are you getting that?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Amanda Tapping is now Helen Magnus of Sanctuary. Can't be two places at once. Unless she is cloned. Or replicated. Heh.

Maybe Rush doesn't have the special gene needed to operate Ancient systems. The guy who piloted the shuttle in the previous episode must have the gene. Or maybe the Destiny was built earlier, before the Ancients added the special gene requirement.

What Stargate Command needs to do is round up about a dozen zero point modules, use half of them to power the gate on earth so they can dial up the ship, and transport the remaining zero point modules to the ship, so they will have a power source sufficient to enable their stargate to dial up earth, so they can all go home. I wonder how many would choose to stay on the Destiny?

Have you not paid any attention to the show? The properties to dial the 9th Chevron were unique to that planet and gate and took the energy from the planets core to power it, also Zed PMs don't grow on trees, they can't round up half a dozen because there probably is only around 6 in total, and its 90% likely they found them all.

Also Rush said specifically that the Ancient ship PREDATES the ATA gene for activating Lantian devices, so they're locked out not because of the gene but because the ship has them locked out and intend it to stay that way.

The logical and most likely scenario is that Rush had informed them of the locked out systems and the only reason why Carter and McKay havent been swapped over is because they themselves probably agree that they will not be able to unlock the systems any better then Rush could, essentially if they could get C&MC over they would have.

The other issue to consider here is at what level of genius is Rush at, for all we know he could just be as smart as either Carter or McKay.

And it seems Stargate wiki says Atlantis is still on earth, hrmpth, would make more sense if they sent it back they have commitments afterall in pegasus.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Actually I think it makes almost no sense to send it back. Atlantis was the only thing they ever really wanted in the Pegasus Galaxy, and the extreme trouble and expense that went into the project was only to secure technology from the city. Remember in the alternate future, they gave Carter a ship to go out and blow up as many bad guys as they could, then they cut bait and said forget it. The actual city wasn't much of an offensive weapon. If they want to defend Pegasus, they'll send a couple ships and create a base there to work from. Otherwise, sending the city back just endangers the most advanced technology Earth has. Pretty silly.

As far as Rush goes, a future episode will cover Rush's recruitment into the Stargate program, including a guest appearance by Michael Shanks. I wouldn't be surprised if we got an idea as to his intelligence level there. I'm betting he's more like a Dr. Lee than a Dr. Carter. He's brilliant, but not off the charts, will save the day at the drop of a hat, type of intelligent. Much like Eli is extremely smart in his area of expertise, but he can't crack the mainframe in twenty minutes.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I think we may have an unhealthy attachment to previous super geniuses that may be counter productive in this instance, also for example you dont see the Destiny crew wondering why they havent sent carter of mckay over, most likely either they cant do any better or they are working in Atlantis/A51 to do what they can do to help.

"Earth" has them trying to implement some sort of crazy plan we'll see.

Mucus
Member # 9735

I don't think the ZPM thing will work, I've lost count of how many they have right now, but we do know that they need at least one for Earth's defence, three for Atlantis, and one for each Daedalus class ship for full shields and speed. There simply may not be enough and the Destiny may have been built before ZPM tech.

The only in-universe explanation I can think of for McKay, Carter, Lee, or Zelenka to not relieve things on the Destiny is that the Destiny is actually a low priority despite sounding like a high priority to "us" since its the only Stargate we have to watch.

As Lyrhawn pointed out, Atlantis is the most advanced technology Earth has immediate access to. We also know that the entirety of the Ori are gone, leaving behind all their technology for Earth to pick over. There is still the matter of that Aurora-class ship left between Pegasus and the Milky Way. With all that in mind, a truly ancient and obsolete Destiny may be pretty low on the list.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I am betting the sand devil is either an alien life form they will be seeing again (since it doesn't seem to be precisely material, maybe it can planet-hop at will) or some feature of the ship itself. Either way, it will be back.

HAH!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Mucus,

I highly doubt they have a ZPM on each Daedelus class ship. If they had more than the three in Atlantis and the one on Earth I'd be surprised. Also, I don't really think they need the one for the weapons chair anymore. That thing sort of lost importance when Atlantis flew back home, and we built a small fleet of Asgard empowered ships that can take out anything we've yet come across. Besides, if the Hammond had had a ZPM, there's no way three Hataks would have caused nearly that much trouble in the opener.

I do hope that future movies by the way, deal with the leftover Ori. How they dealt with them after Ark of Truth would be interesting. Though I'm still hoping that movie 3 or 4 is revealing the Stargate to the world. They're still talking about it.

rivka -

::bows down in submission::

Thou hast prophesied correctly. [Smile]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Word of God is that technology in the milky way galaxy didn't remain stagnant and improved correspondingly to Human technological growth.
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I highly doubt they have a ZPM on each Daedelus class ship.

Well, yeah. Thats why I said, "they need" rather than "they have." The problem with the Hammond in the opener just highlights that the ZPMs are maybe of more use close to home.

That said, I just looked up the end of Atlantis to refresh my memory and it turns out that the Earth weapons chair was destroyed along with ZPM anyways, so thats one down.

Edit to add: (Of course, the Wraith super-ship does illustrate that Earth can encounter something that can take on even two Daedelus ships with beam weapons in the course of week or two;) )

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
One of these days the unstoppable "Tarree" have to succeed in reverse-engineering a ZPM, and start building their own. Also, I think it is time for the Lucian Alliance to be put in its place. If SGC could take out the Replicators, the Goa'uld, and the Ori (and sort of neutralized the Wraith), then the LA should be no sweat.

That attack on the Stagate forces at the beginning of SGU was an act of war.

Incidentally, if that planet from which they gated to the Destiny is the only location from which that was possible, why do they keep talking about dialing up earth?

And I still do not see why the planet had to blow up. How could "overdrawing" from the power source at the planet's core make it blow up? The energy at the planet's core was heat. You overdraw the heat, and all it does is cool off.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really liking SGU, and that's considering that I've seen very little of the original series and almost none of SG:A.

quote:
Incidentally, if that planet from which they gated to the Destiny is the only location from which that was possible, why do they keep talking about dialing up earth?

Because they want to go home?

They keep saying they *want* to dial Earth, but I'm not sure they know how. I feel that everyone assumes that Rush and the other "upper management" know how to, but are reluctant to do so because of the power situation.

quote:
And I still do not see why the planet had to blow up. How could "overdrawing" from the power source at the planet's core make it blow up? The energy at the planet's core was heat. You overdraw the heat, and all it does is cool off.
I don't remember the specifics, but there was an explosion big enough to punch a hole in the planet's core. Whether that causes an expanding explosion or simply unabated release of magma... well... let's just leave that to movie science. Either way, the planet is either gone or a glowing ball of magma.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
rivka -

Had to happen eventually! [Wink]

I am a bit sad that they turned it into a Monster of the Week, though. It had great promise as a helpful alien.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
One of these days the unstoppable "Tarree" have to succeed in reverse-engineering a ZPM, and start building their own. Also, I think it is time for the Lucian Alliance to be put in its place. If SGC could take out the Replicators, the Goa'uld, and the Ori (and sort of neutralized the Wraith), then the LA should be no sweat.

That attack on the Stagate forces at the beginning of SGU was an act of war.

PAY ATTENTION TO THE SHOW ALL OF THESE QUESTIONS ARE ANSWERED.

1) Its Tauri or Tau'ri not 'tarre'.
2) The Lucian Alliance is a large geopolitical alliance that emerged from the wake of the collapse of the Goald, they were actually in a state of war since season 8 or so of SG1, they can't "put them in their place" because they are very large and control a large amount of territory and Earth only has enough forces and assets to defend Earth and a few basis, notice how nearly every SGC mission plays out more like a commando search and destroy mission then any pitched battles. Its always hit and run.

3) The SGC took out the big threats because of a large and important portion of luck and (justified) deus ex machina, notice the trillion alternate timelines where they DONT succeed. The Lucian Alliance isn't as big as a threat on the galactic scale and are more of a rogue nation-state they're isnt as much impetus to get as much help to stop them.

4) Just because its the only place A can reach B doesn't mean B is limited to just A.

5) No, because in the Stargate Universe you can also get energy from naquada which is an unstable element that if a planet is made up of enough of it if it goes boom the whole planet goes boom.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
quote:
rivka -

Had to happen eventually! [Wink]

I am a bit sad that they turned it into a Monster of the Week, though. It had great promise as a helpful alien.

Agreed, but it also gave them yet another opportunity to show what happens when you slap a hand offered in friendship. When you run around shooting at things, things sometimes shoot back.

Really, I thought this week was in some ways a recreation of the SG1 episode where Carter brings back Cadet Smarty Pants to the planet with the glowing bugs, one of which they capture, then free, but they're pissed and attack the scientists until Jack saves them all. Seems like the same thing, only more intelligent, grittier, fitting with the new show.

rivka
Member # 4859

*nod* Definitely very similar.
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed this episode more than the previous ones. We got to see interaction with an alien and a crisis on a hostile planet. Felt a bit more like Stargate. I'm not crazy about it, but I'm willing to give it more time.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badenov
Member # 12075

- posted      Profile for Badenov           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually had the urge to do something else during the last episode. I'm not real sure how I feel about SGU, yet. I'd like to think they're gearing up for something really awesome, but I'm kind of afraid they aren't.
Posts: 38 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

There are some pretty cool episodes coming up.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Big Sci-Fi sale on Amazon includes a lot of Stargate stuff.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well that was something. The whole "trying a crazy scheme without really understanding the situation" thing wasn't a surprise...but the body snatching thing certainly brings up some interesting morality issues. To what degree is it not cool for them to do certain things with other people's bodies? And how awkward was the Telford/Young switcheroo? And what was up with Telford seeing his wife at the end?

Not cool!

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! What you said.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Telford is probably having an affair with Young's wife. I don't think he could go there trying to impersonate Young in his body (my head hurts); she'd be able to tell pretty fast.

I'm starting to like Rush more and more. He might actually be the voice of reason that the other two series lacked. "Oh, let's try this and see if we don't all die!" is not a good plan. With plans like that they'll run out of luck at one point, and there's literally no one to save them there.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Hrrm.

Yeah Rush gets more awesome when he isn't suffering coffee withdrawl.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I've got to imagine that she'd be able to figure out that he isn't Young...but I wonder if he'll try.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Well that was something. The whole "trying a crazy scheme without really understanding the situation" thing wasn't a surprise...but the body snatching thing certainly brings up some interesting morality issues. To what degree is it not cool for them to do certain things with other people's bodies? And how awkward was the Telford/Young switcheroo? And what was up with Telford seeing his wife at the end?

Not cool!

What he said.
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
This show is so depressing. No one laughs. There is no sense of community. Everyone is angry. It's a relentless downer.
Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Eli is pretty funny at various points, and the community building is yet to come.

It's not supposed to be a show full of laugh lines and joy.

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the Janelle Monae bit. At first I thought it was just a shout-out, but then they actually showed a performance. What's crazy is I was just listening to her CD a couple days ago.

As for the rest - I'm on the fence, except that Telford is not only a jerk, but malicious to boot.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Actually come to think of it, this is an awesome deconstruction of the whole campy Stargate "LETS OVERCLOCK THE ALIEN TECHNOLOGY!" and somehow it works without bad effects, here we have it that they were about to, the scientist KNEW it would go kaboom, and so the effort was actually stopped rather then let to go on and miraculously work.

They even lampshaded it with O'Neill referring to Carter doing similar all the time in SG1.

MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I was pretty disgusted with what all three characters where doing with the bodies they were in, Eli flirting was pretty bad but then Chloe getting drunk was very irresponsible, and Young using Telford's body to have sex was just perverse and unacceptable. I'm surprised that the SGC would allow them to continue using the stones for contacting family after that.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Pfft. Like any of them reported that.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

From what I've read in the blog from the producers of the show, it's pretty well understood that visits home include conjugal visits, however Chloe getting drunk is probably over the line.
rivka
Member # 4859

'Scuse me? Potentially fathering a child with someone else's body (and therefore their DNA and the potential to be sued for 18 years of child support) is ok, but getting drunk is not?
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
That does seem like a strange and curvy line to be drawing.

I still have a hard time believing the folks back home are allowing visits at all. Last I heard, the whole Stargate program was secret, not to be jeopardized so lightly.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I think they are making a exception for people who werent supposed to be at risk.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
'Scuse me? Potentially fathering a child with someone else's body (and therefore their DNA and the potential to be sued for 18 years of child support) is ok, but getting drunk is not?

The thought process is that enough protections exist to make pregnancy a nearly impossible outcome, but being drunk is destructive.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
The thought process is that enough protections exist to make pregnancy a nearly impossible outcome

HAH!
J-Put
Member # 11752

- posted      Profile for J-Put           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...Wow...amazing episode.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

It was indeed.
rivka
Member # 4859

Bah. Maybe it's because I read a ST novel that was also a future-us-thrown-back-in-time-warning-us-to-do-it-differently-this-time story, but I was not a fan.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Its happened a few times in Stargate actually, its kinda continuality nod but otherwise a pretty sweat episode. As it had more of a horror aspect to it then the past versions.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I can think of a half dozen other shows with similar plots as well.
rivka
Member # 4859

There was a time-specific noun missing from my post -- I read the book yesterday (and watched the SGU episode last night).

Of course there are many such plots.

And that's part of the problem. [Razz]

Mucus
Member # 9735

For me, this was just a mix of Stargate time travel, Aliens, and a good presentation.

The story was essentially just one iteration of TNG's Cause and Effect where the Enterprise is repeatedly blown up. But I thought the presentation was pretty good. But I can totally see the issue if someone valued originality of plot more.

(Also, c'mon. Wouldn't this have been a perfect time to bring in a Keller to replace or supplement the medic? Use your stones people! [Wink] )

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
But I thought the presentation was pretty good. But I can totally see the issue if someone valued originality of plot more.
Ignoring the assumptions about my motives, I wasn't that excited by the presentation either.
Mucus
Member # 9735

if
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.