FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Long Hair Support Group Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Long Hair Support Group Thread
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I have reddish hair naturally, and red red hair with help of a bottle, which I use to deny all existence of the plethora of white hair that's mounting its own war in my head. Sigh. I'll probably be all white at 45. And mine is wavy, which is odd because that didn't happen until my early twenties. And mine is just below shoulder length at the moment. I try to not do longer because it's too heavy and I can't do anything with it anyway. Buns don't work because of the weight/volume issues and my general lack of anything even resembling knowledge. Luckily, with the wave, I just let it do what it wants and it generally works out okay.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
but lots of babies have sn's and I hope most of them can't type (Though if hatrackers can produce newborns that can, we might be able to take over the world)
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
OH, forgot to add. I have no advice. I'm not a girlie-girl, never have been, and I'm generally hopeless with this kind of stuff. Sorry. [Angst]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivia - A half an inch every month is a good length to trim. I'm going grey, also, and I've taken to dying my hair black. But I actually really like the look of grey-on-dark hair, especially with a youthful face. It's nicely dramatic.

(My hair is so long that I shut it in the car door nearly every time I close it.)

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but lots of babies have sn's and I hope most of them can't type (Though if hatrackers can produce newborns that can, we might be able to take over the world)
Hmmm. Well, maybe if she ever has something to say, she'll register. Right now, unless any of you will give her a cookie, I don't think she wants to talk to you; she's got a little stranger anxiety. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, actually, she does type; she "helps" me all the time. But she doesn't type meaningful words, unless you're a baby or a kitty.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never met a girl that I thought looked better with really short hair than with longer hair.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I have red highlights in my hair (natural) and 3 of my five daughters have red hair.

My daughters and I all used to have long hair... mine was almost to my waist. I braided and twisted and curled and ponytailed all the time back then (about 6 years ago). I made fancy hair doo-dahs to put in our hair and spent a small fortune every month on conditioners and such. It took me years before I was able to braid my own hair, but I finally got it down. I found I could do it better without a mirror FWIW.

My two youngest daughters that still live with me have long hair again, after cutting it short a few years ago. These two don't like to be fussed over though, and only want to have pony tails usually. Kind of a pity really, but I don't have the time to fuss with hair like I used to anyway.

Actually, in some ways, I think that having long hair can be less work than short hair. I never had to "style" my hair when it was long. In the summer, I kept it braided because of the heat, and in the winter, I just pulled it into a barrette usually. No bad hair days then. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises eyebrow*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got red hair and I like long hair. Not mine though, I like mine short, but Annie's looks gorgeous long. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Now would be the time to post photos of my Sinead O'Connor phase.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
maui, I'm with you on long hair being easier. I let mine grow to where it's about middle of the way down my back. I'll probably let it grow to my waist again then trim to keep it that length. My concession to vanity is that I dye parts of it bright blue every 8 weeks or so. And every three months or so I get it trimmed. Otherwise, I do nothing to it except wash and blowdry. I almost always wear it down, as putting it up is too much of a hassle.

At night, I twist it up on the top of my head as I lay down and generally it stays there. I've tried braiding it to sleep, but it feels too weird.

And I too am getting the occasional gray hair. I pluck them when I find them. Go figure I can deal with bright blue, but not gray.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been growing my hair long, but since I have been sick, it is falling out! The doc tested my blood, and it seemed OK. He said sometimes the timing goes off, and hair sheds all at once, rather than a bit at a time. I keep cutting it shorter, though, because it gets really stringy at the end of the day. I do not like it! I want my hair back.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Long hair was hard for me. That's why I cut it when I was about 7 months pregnant, and have been keeping it barely longer than shoulder length since. I have hair that tends to snarl and tangle and knot and rat. It's a pain even at this length. I did like the way it looked long, though.
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Here 's a picture of my uber-short style, a.k.a. the most flattering picture of me ever taken [Big Grin] It's a bit blurry and the darker background hides most of the spiky-bangs, but you get the idea. I don't have any pictures of my longer hair where I can get at them right now, though.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have reddish hair naturally, and red red hair with help of a bottle, which I use to deny all existence of the plethora of white hair that's mounting its own war in my head. Sigh. I'll probably be all white at 45.
Quid, one of the quirks of being a redhead -- our hair doesn't turn white! [Big Grin]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack looks great with short hair. Not everyone can pull itb off, but she looks great.

I used to have a short cut I liked, but long is better for me, I think.

My hair isn't really curly but it isn't straight either. I use that Redken glass stuff to get it to lay flat. That's the stuff for ethnic hair. [Big Grin]

My gray hairs are actually very white, too, though the rest is very dark, especially in winter.

I like using hair sticks - especially the ones that look like chopsticks. Got into them because CT uses them and I would emulate her in almost every way if I could. [Smile]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth- mine fell out after I lost the weight I gained with Robert. Then I had all this baby-curly short hair growing in all over, and had to cut off much of my hair. I donated it, too. Eventually the new hair got long enough to not be stading up all over like a two year olds'.
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
oooh Stray, I love the short look. I think you are like Mack and are one of the few that can pull it off well. You look fine with longer too, but that short look is very distinctive!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
When I sleep, I usually just part the hair down the middle and have it out to the sides of my head (I sleep on my back). I think it would probably be uncomfortable to lie on a braid that goes all the way down my back.

I actually have a lot of problems with my hair when I'm doing Aikido. I definitely can't have it down, but the bunch created where the scrunchie is gets in the way when I roll backwards. Also, when I fall backwards I slide for a good half foot because my hair reduces friction with the mat.

I, too, have begun going grey at one patch on top of my head. I'm 19. Grrr.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, but as I said, I think I'm a little too old for that 'edgy' of a look anymore [Wink] The lip ring looked good with it, but I've long since gotten rid of that. Man, that picture's like 4 years old now *sighs*
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
How's the aikido coming, Shigosei? How long have you been doing it now?
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Quid, one of the quirks of being a redhead -- our hair doesn't turn white
Uh Raia - that is so absolutely not true in my family. All of us who were redheads or are redheads turn white. My grandmother had exactly the same color hair I do now, and she turned all white (except for eyebrows and eyelashes *grin*) on her head fairly early in life. And I've begun to have white.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE the white hair. My dad's hair is starting to go white now (he's a strawberry blonde too, but his hair is much more red than mine).

Stray, your hair was shorter than mine is now! I rarely see that. [Big Grin]

I once asked my sister what color my hair was and she couldn't make up her mind. "It's dirty blonde. No...regular blonde. No...red. No...DAMMIT! I don't know what color it is!"

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe..I finally got my hair long enough that I can headbang when I listen to some good tunes! I always had really short hair, as most men do nowadays.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
raia, my grandma's hair used to be almost the exact color yours is now, but curlier (yeah I know it's hard to imagine, I have some pics somewhere), but now it's almost entirely white, except she dyes it to be a really light strawberry blonde, just so she feels sort of redheaded.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Well, that's not supposed to happen... [Confused]

Maybe it's a specific shade of red that doesn't turn white. I know I'm not making this up.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
School4ever
Member # 5575

- posted      Profile for School4ever   Email School4ever         Edit/Delete Post 
I have long hair, but because it is curly, it looks like it is shoulder length. I sleep with it in a ponytail. I do not blow dry it, that would make it frizzy. Sometimes my hair looks red, depends on the light, but in reality it is blond.
Posts: 188 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I always used to wish I had reddish hair. Now I've come to terms with being a blonde-turned-brunette.

I used to be so cute with bright blonde hair (ages 3-7). What the heck happened to me?

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Are there other redheads in your family, Raia? Elderly ones?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Nope, none... but there's a good friend of my dad's who's hair is sort of a sandy red, now, which is the equivalent of what red hair is supposed to look like when it's turned white.
mackillian
Member # 586

It'll be interesting to see what hair color mine and Nathan's kids will have. He has blonde hair, but his family has blonde and red hair--his older sister's hair is this awesome coppery color. SO cool. My family is blonde and strawberry blonde.

o_O

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've known several redheads who went blonde when they aged. It's not at all uncommon.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivetta, the weird thing is that my hair feels ultra healthy. What there is left of it! (I have a lot of hair) I am waiting for the all-at-once-grow-back. Instead, it is more hair in the drain every day.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I want the T-Shirt that says "It's a redhead thing... you wouldn't understand." LOL
Raia
Member # 4700

Aaah, I want that!
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
The only other people in my family with red hair, my great-grandmother and great-aunt, both had very dark auburn (and very long) hair. Both also ended up with white streaks before they died. As mine is much lighter to start with, it's anyone's guess as to how it's going to end up. Color-wise, at any rate. I can (almost) certainly say that it will stay long - security blanket, of sorts, I suppose.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Long-haired redhead here [Big Grin] .

(Edit to say that that T-shirt is great! We should get a Hatrack ladies redhead Tshirt started!)

I used to have short, pixie-cut hair but I've been growing it out for about a year and half now and it's presently about an inch or so below my shoulder blades. I have very frizzy and curly hair which is straight only when very short or the day after it's been washed. It turns out that it's not so "puffy" when long, though, and my fiance adores it so I figure I'll keep it longat least until after our wedding [Big Grin] . Thank you all for the reminder to get it trimmed, though. I have far too many split ends at the moment and would like to get it restyled so that it's layered again and falls in my face a bit differently. I'd like something that makes me look "spunky" and a bit more my age [Smile] .

[ March 04, 2005, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: Pixie ]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, my hair did this several years ago - one day it started to fall out noticeably more than usual and I ended up losing quite a bit. It went on for about three months and then stopped. While it was happening, the docs were at a loss as to what it could be. All of it did grow back, though. A couple of years later I was diagnosed with low thyroid and the docs seemed to think that the hair loss could've been the onset of the symptoms. Who knows - hindsight, you know??
Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That happened to me when I was in 3rd or 4th grade. They decided it was stress. It stopped eventually.
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, wait, redheads go white? Everyone in my family goes very platinum blond - ie so blond it's almost white but still has that yellowish sheen.
Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

: added Pixie to my page 1 list of redheads :
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
AntiCool, Aikido's going pretty well. I've been doing it since last September, and I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of most of the techniques. When the spring semester started, we had an influx of new students, so I'm now sometimes in the position of being partners with someone who is less experienced. It's great for learning, but a bit uncomfortable at the same time. I feel like I'm not qualified. I've had some problems with falling too hard, too. No serious injuries, but my back hurts a lot. My instructor says that practice will help, and he will try to make sure that the others are more gentle.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Olivetta [Kiss]

Stray, you vixen! Great look.

Long hair is way easier for me than short. Plus, there's the Mrs. Potatohead look I get going. Short hair totally nixes my mojo. On Jamie, it's hot. On me, well, I look like something dug up in Idaho.

I don't blowdry my hair, so it takes forever to dry. That's the only drawback. Pretty much by the time it is fully dry, I'm ready to wash it again. The best way I've found to handle this is to do a French braid down each side and then join them, weaving the long tail back up and through them. A coronet of braids, and it stays up well. dries faster, too, and when I take it down, I have lots of waves for at least a few hours.

Sticks are defintitely the easiest, though, and quite interesting from a physics point of view. I'm often asked if it's really just the sticks that holds the French twist up (yes, it is -- and done carefully, you only need one to do it).

The easiest of all, though, is just rolling it up and knotting it on the top of my head. That will sometimes stay for hours.

[ March 04, 2005, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought those t-shirts for my daughters... they're gonna love them. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
*Joins support group

I have long hair (it's almost 1/2 way down my back, and I'm tall)

It only annoys me when I'm putting down my backpack, and it is caught underneath the strap. And pulls. I have a sensitive scalp.

I am not really sure what colour it its, though... It's all natural, so it gets sun highlights in the summer, and becomes blonde, but in the winter, it kind of goes a reddish-brown. It's also naturally bone-straight, and it is really hard to do anything with. I usually just put it up in a high ponytail.

I have shorter pieces at the front, not because I cut them that way, but because I chew on them. And they break.

See for yourself

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a redhead!

Here's my proof.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid, about 6 or so, I had REALLY long hair. Well past my butt. But it had a horrible tendancy to snarl. My mom would actually pay a friend of hers to come over and brush my hair, cause she couldnt stand to do it herself. Apparently, I would sit in front of the mirror, with silent tears streaming down my face, and make her feel horribly guilty. But I wouldnt let them cut it. I'd freak out every time she tried to talk to me about it. The final straw came when, one day, my moms friend was particularly rough with my hair(she was of the rip and pull school of thought), and I turned around, grabbed the brush, and hit her as hard as I could with it. In my mind, she totally deserved it. But the woman convinced my mom to force me to cut my hair. They put it in a ponytail, chopped it off, and handed it to me. It was the equivilant of killing a pet rabbit and serving it for dinner, with a special present made of the tail, in my mind. I never really forgave that poor woman. She was the mother of my best friend, and everytime I went to her house, I'd eye her warily, looking for a hairbrush or scissors.
Anyways, I've never cut my hair since then, except for the occasional trim. It's now past my butt, and still has that wonderful tendancy to snarl. It takes forever to brush out, and I swear at my hair alot, but it's worth it. 2 of my girlfriends have bright red hair of the same length(mines black), and we have fun with it when we bellydance to Irish music [Wink] .

And Jeniwren, is your hair blond? If not, then what do you use for your blue streaks? I was told I would have to bleach some streaks if I wanted to get a true blue color, which I dont want to do.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had short hair and long hair - right now it's in-between as I'm growing it out.

My daughter, who turns 7 on Monday (!!) has never had a hair cut. She has movie star hair. It's a beautiful mix of light and dark brown. Though it's fine, it's incredibly wavy and often curls up into little tiny ringlets on the ends. I loooove her hair.

And she wants it cut. [Frown]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just flipping through a hair style magazine this morning trying to decide what to do with my hair. I should have known to check Hatrack first!! My hair is long (about to the small of my back), thick, wavy and FRIZZY. I have started using Garnia Fructis shampoo which seems to have helped a bit with the frizzies. When I want that "sleek" look I try all those tips from the magazines...blow drying with a large round brush or a large paddle brush, using straighting balms ect. I can never really get it to look right though.

I have really thought about getting a total "new look" when I reach my weight goal.. new clothes, new hair style ect. Right now my idea of fashion is jeans, t-shirts and pony tails!!

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.