FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is pretty good (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: So, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is pretty good
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
You mean besides the obvious reasons inside the Angel universe? Google search yields results:

Here's what apparently happened.

According to that he was fired from Angel due to his drug/alcohol addiction. He later died of a drug overdose on someone's couch.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any sources that state plainly that he was fired?

Because the way the story progressed, and the outcome and lasting story effects that came from it seemed so masterfuly orchestrated.

A N G E L - S E A S O N - O N E
*S* *P* *O* *I* *L* *E* *R* S*

I'm also reminded of Joss, on the commentary for the pilot of Buffy said they almost put Xander's best friend (who, uh, leaves the show an episode or two later) in the credits just for those episodes so that his "show leaving" would be a shock and come completely by surprise. Because of their miniscule budget in the first season, he didn't have enough money to have two title sequence cuts, so he nixed the idea. (Kind of interesting, seeing how many variations of the main title begin showing up in Season 4!)

Joss did say in the commentary, however, that he was actually able to do the same thing for the first season of Angel, and he actually pissed off a lot of fans.

Still knowing that Joss said that, Quinn's leaving of the show came as a complete shock to me, and still had quite the emotional resonance.

*E*
*N*
*D*

*S*
*P*
*O*
*I*
*L*
*E*
*R*
*S*

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we finished the entire Buffy-verse.

I've got a question about season 5 of Angel:

-----SPOILERS-------

Buffy shows up at least twice in season 5 (one of the times is in Angel's dream, granted), but SMG isn't there. Does anybody know why SMG wasn't in season 5 of Angel?

*E*
*N*
*D*

*S*
*P*
*O*
*I*
*L*
*E*
*R*
*S*

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've heard SMG had conflicts with other projects/refused to play the part of Buffy after the end of Buffy. That's just from various rumor mills, though, I don't know anything definate.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That seems pretty lame to refuse to help out the character that made her a star.

Assuming those rumors are true.

Of couse, if they are true, she's probably wanting to distance herself from the character Buffy as much as possible.

Not that she'll ever be able to, but I guess I can't get too upset at her for trying.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah she said she wanted to play other roles other than Buffy. They had her body double for all the scenes where they needed to show her presence in Angel season 5.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading something in the paper about this. Whedon wanted SMG to show up for the end of Angel. However, since it's cancellation was a suprise he wasn't able to give her much notice. This was exactly around the time that Scooby Doo 2 was coming out and she had previously scheduled plans and responsibilities to them. She told Whedon that if he could change around the filming order (shoot the 22nd episode before the 21st or something like that) that she could come. But he hadn't written the script yet, so it just didn't work out.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
He should have had Willow show up. She was way cooler than Buffy anyway.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Did something similar happen in Buffy season 6/Angel season 3? Between episodes 4 & 5 of each show, Angel and Buffy are said to have met and argued, but the meeting's never shown... anyone know what happened there? (Network legal problems? Actors too busy? Writers not interested in actually showing the scene?)
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that, Amanecer. It was one of the reasons the way it was cancelled annoyed me.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
plaid- I believe that one was network legal problems. I'm pretty sure they had the scene written and everything, but weren't allowed to film it.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Plaid -- at that point, the two shows were on different networks. It's not surprising that they didn't want any cross-pollination.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*shields eyes from all spoilers*

Still on season two. I just saw Surprise/Innocence. Great episodes,and holy crumb. That would seriously suck.

Also, I love Cordelia and Xander. I think they are darling. I know everyone is supposed to be fond of Willow and Oz, and they are really cute together, but Cordy and Xander are much more fun to watch.

I listened to the commentary to the episode where they got together, and the woman who wrote said "No one saw this coming." Is she kidding? Everyone could have seen this coming! I was watching the first disk and asked Taalcon if Xander and Cordelia get together, because it sure looked like foreplay fighting to me. I like that they did, but it wasn't exactly a huge surprise. They had to give Cordelia something to do as she's hanging around once she stopped tormenting the Slayer. Tormenting Xander would be a natural.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
plaid- I believe that one was network legal problems. I'm pretty sure they had the scene written and everything, but weren't allowed to film it.
Yeah, pretty much this:

quote:

joss says:
(Sat May 26 19:22:48 2001 66.31.214.93)

Leaving am I, but let's talk crossovers. No plans for one right now, but they are not ruled out forever. Better to let the shows get started on there own, but someday.... in the meanwhile, I have a thrilling noncrossover planned that should drive you guys insane.

bronze archives

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the off-screen argument.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

quote:
Still on season two. I just saw Surprise/Innocence
Ooo, you're getting to the really good stuff!

When a friend of mine was watching Buffy for the first time several months back, I made her watch them with me via AIM (both of us watched on our computers and commented). Very fun. Alas, I was sleeping while she was watching "Becoming", but she filled up my IM screen with her reactions.

..and that's all I'll say. [Smile]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really addicted to Buffy till they get to the middle of fourth season, but Becoming is one of the episodes from earlier that I watch over and over again.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
"Still on season two. I just saw Surprise/Innocence. Great episodes,and holy crumb. That would seriously suck."

Yeah the rest of that season will blow your mind. I got into BTVS about 2 months ago believe it or not. And one of the reasons I am such a big fan now is because of season 2. You will love it. My favorite season is season 2 with a little season 6 mixed in.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I really have never watched any episodes of BtVS. Probably because I think that if I had were a girl, and had been named Buffy I think suicide would be wholly justified. Ungh.

And that is my two cents.

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I know a woman who is about 60 years old and is named Buffy. She seems happy.
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
She probably spent thirty oof those years in therapy.
Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Half the cast has weird names... Buffy, Willow, Zander (although that comes from Alexander), Cordelia, Oz, Angel, Anya... Much more fun than plain names like Randy or Joan. [Wink]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Actually, I believe it is spelled Xander.
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Right you are!
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Xander's name is Alexander Harris. Not especially strange. Xand could easily have chosen to call himself Xander instead of Alex sometime pre-series, say middle school (Who doesn't want to change thier name at that point?).

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

He went by Alex in the episode where they all lost their memories.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Here's another Buffy question.

*S*P*O*I*L*E*R*S*

The character Darla (Dharla?) dies four times -- as a mortal, as a vampire, as a mortal again, and as a vampire again.

How and when did she die the second time? I assume that it was somewhere in the early seasons of Buffy, but I have no recollection of it.

While I'm at it, how and when did Drusilla die as a vampire? I assume it happened in season 2 of Angel, but again I can't remember it happening.

I assume that she must have died, since they never had her come back even though Juliet Landau kept being on the show in flashbacks up through the last few episodes of Angel.

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS

Darla is in the first episode of Buffy. She's the one in the annoying school girl outfit who kills the boy in the opening scene. She's a darling of the master and tries to get Angel to turn evil. Instead, he kills her. I think they were in a warehouse or something. It was either kill her or let her kill Buffy.... or something like that. Anyway, Angel did it. With either a crossbow or a stake.

Yeah, my memory is great! [Smile] Anyway, she was a really annoying character, and they changed her when they started doing flashbacks and when they brought her back. She was way too lovey and meek around the master. Not very Darla-Like.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Yeah, I remember her character in Buffy, I just didn't remember how she died. That's because when she died in Buffy, she wasn't that important of a character.

But even when they brought her back in flashbacks, etc., Darla was still meek when dealing with The Master.

katharina
Member # 827

Xander is what my brother wants to call my nephew, whose full name is William Alexander. (To continue that trend, my kid will be named Julius Khan.)

My dad and grandparents call the kid Willy. *amused*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

She probably was still meek around the master to make her earlier behavior seem plausible. I still don't buy it. I don't see Darla being scared of anybody.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Just saw Phases last night. Oz is indeed darling. He's so laid back, which is perfect for Willow, who is basically a big ball of sweet anxiety.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I don't see her being scared of The Master, but being worshipful of him.
Katarain
Member # 6659

*grin* Well, I can't say that I thought enough about this to be able to go past a few casual statements. [Smile] I've got no good reason not to think that your interpretation is the better one. [Smile]
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Letsee, I liked season 1... REALLY got into it in season 2... and by the time I got to season 4 I stopped renting anything else until I was done with the whole series. [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
Half the cast has weird names... Buffy, Willow, Zander (although that comes from Alexander), Cordelia, Oz, Angel, Anya... Much more fun than plain names like Randy or Joan. [Wink]

Well, Buffy is Elizabeth, Xander is Alexander, Oz is Daniel, Angel was Liam...
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Here's another Buffy question.

*S*P*O*I*L*E*R*S*

The character Darla (Dharla?) dies four times -- as a mortal, as a vampire, as a mortal again, and as a vampire again.

How and when did she die the second time? I assume that it was somewhere in the early seasons of Buffy, but I have no recollection of it.

While I'm at it, how and when did Drusilla die as a vampire? I assume it happened in season 2 of Angel, but again I can't remember it happening.

I assume that she must have died, since they never had her come back even though Juliet Landau kept being on the show in flashbacks up through the last few episodes of Angel.

Darla got pregnant by Angel. But when he came to term, she couldn't deliver him. In the one act of love she ever did as a vampire, she staked herself, and Connor was born when she dusted.

I think it was season 3, but I could be wrong.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

SPOILERS!!!

That was the second time she died as a vampire.

The first time she died was as a mortal. She was already dying of syphilis when The Master came, killed her, and turned her into a vampire.

The second time she died (the one I was trying to figure out about), Angel staked her early on in the show Buffy.

The third time she died (after being brought back to life by Wolfram and Hart) she was killed by Drusilla (at the request of Wolfram and Hart) and truned into a vampire. Again.

The fourth time she died, she staked herself for the sake of her son. Who ended up being just as evil as she ever was, even though he was human and had a soul and all.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

SPOLIER DISCUSSION

quote:
Who ended up being just as evil as she ever was, even though he was human and had a soul and all.
He did?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

******SPOILERS*******
quote:
Buffy is Elizabeth
Hmmm, I don't remember that one. Do you remember which episode it came up in?
quote:

I don't think Drusilla did ever die as a vampire. But season 2 of Angel/ Season 5 of Buffy is the last time we see her not in flashbacks. She leaves LA after slaughtering people in Angel and then she leaves Sunnydale after Spike locks both Buffy and her up.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
He did?
SPOILER DISCUSSION.

Well, not really. That was, I admit, hyperbole. He was no mass murderer.

He wanted to murder (and torture) less people than that.

Katarain
Member # 6659

Buffy's real name IS Buffy.

Didn't she tell someone her name and they replied with "No, really?" and she gave them a "look."

Dagonee
Member # 5818

OK - I thought I had missed a major story arc somewhere.
xnera
Member # 187

Maybe Elizabeth is her middle name? I'm pretty sure we heard her middle name at least one. But yes, her name really is Buffy.

I wish UBB boards had spoiler font. It'd make it soooo much easier to talk about things like this without worrying about accidentally spoiling someone.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Anne is her middle name. Buffy Anne Summers.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

*thwaps self* I should have known that. I feel stupid now. In my defense, I started work at 6:30 this morning so I'm rather braindead at the moment.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I was really pleased to finally figure out

SPOILERS!!!

who the guardian of the "Deeper Well" was in the last season of Angel. I knew him as Paul Mua'Dib in the SciFi version of Dune.

I did the same thing with the pompous ass in the episode Shindig of Firefly -- it took me forever to figure out that he was Duncan Idaho.

I'm hoping to have somebody else from Dune show up in Serenity. I'd love to see The Baron. Or Jessica (who it took me forever to figure out where I knew her from).

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Anne is her middle name. Buffy Anne Summers.

Wasn't Anne just the false name that she used as a waitress when she ran away from home at the end of the 2nd season?
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
MPH: IMDB is a valuable resource. [Wink]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I get so much more satisfaction when I am able to figure it out without resorting to IMDB.

But if I can't do it on my own, I'll use IMDB.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

MPH: "Anne" was her name in the first episode of season 3 when she was waitressing, yes. However it wasn't a fake name. When asked "Why Anne?" She responded "it's my middle name"

Pix

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.