FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Newfoundlogic Died Saturday (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Newfoundlogic Died Saturday
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I can only echo the thoughts already posted. You have my sympathy and my best wishes for you and your family. Taking the time to notify us while grieving was very kind. Thank You..
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I had been thinking about him lately - wondering how things were going... I remember him as a well spoken, intelligent member of our community. I had no idea he was so young and I am so sorry that he is gone. Thank you so much for thinking enough of us during this difficult time to let us know. I hope you and your family will be comforted and find peace.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry. I add my condolences to the list.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what to say - it's always sad when someone so young dies. I think he would have been a great person to know better.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so very sorry. [Frown]

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
He was a valued member of this community. He will be missed.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In lieu of flowers, a donation may be made to the American Cancer Society or the Friends of Israel Defense Forces, New York, N.Y.
I'm guessing Hatrack would in general find the American Cancer Society more palatable. Should we take a collection?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] [Cry] [Cry]

I'm so sorry for your loss. I was very shocked when I saw this thread. I was also incredibly sad to find out that he was only 19. His writing had more maturity. I remember mostly that he had about the same political views as me. He will be missed.

((Stevens Family))

[ January 25, 2006, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry for your loss. I remember Newfoundlogic's passionate arguments in some of the political threads. He could be forceful, while generally managing not to step on too many toes.

I was amazed at his courage in the post where he told us he had cancer. And he was very upbeat when he posted about his treatment. I was so glad to see the thread a few months ago where he said that he was doing better. I'm sad to see that he's passed away. He'll be missed.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
(((NFL's Family))))

I'm sorry for your loss. When I saw him post that he'd been declared NED I had hoped it meant he would be ok and would soon begin posting with greater frequency again here. I didn't know him that well becuase he bacame very sick shortly after I arrived here, but I remember him as being very articulate. While his views nearly always differed extremely from my own in politics threads they were well written, polite and though provoking. I respected him greatly and will very much miss his input. [Frown] It astounds me to learn that he was actually younger than me, he was far more knowledgeable and articulate about most everything.

Hey Pop... is there some way we could collect his posts in the archive so they don't fall off the map eventually as all threads and posts eventually do?

I'd be willing to spend some time sifting older threads and copying and pasting them in some sort of memorial thread if that's what's required.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot believe that Newfoundlogic has passed away. I'd never thought about loosing a Hatracker...My prayers and sympathies to his family, may Steven rest in peace.

Where can we send letters, flowers and cards to?

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
newfoundlogic on cable companies and Hurricane Katrina:

quote:
Any chance a tornado spawned right in your neighborhood? Otherwise I can't imagine how he would lose his roof. That was the closest thing to a direct hit we've ever gotten and we still suffered no damage. We didn't even lose our DirecTV and supposedly that's supposed to go out when the cat sneezes, or so claims those dirty Comcast commercials.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I'm so sorry to hear this.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Yes, AJ, we should. I have time and Paypal. Does anyone else want to volunteer?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I'd post some links to the charities listed in his obituary. Just for informational purposes.

American Cancer Society

Friends of the Israel Defense Forces

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
There's not a way to save all his posts, Alcon (at least not one I know of), but if you (or others) would like to quote some select ones, perhaps in this thread, I could eventually archive this.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
I wear a cancer wristband every day (not a Lance one) in memory of those who suffer directly and indirectly from cancer.

In addition to Boris' link above, going here will take you to the ACS "Donate Now" page. You can even choose to donate in memory of someone...

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Just... Wow. I hadn't realized that he was my age, or that he was so sick... I guess I took it for granted that Hatrackers would always be around.

Newfoundlogic's Dad - thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your loss.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Steven spoke passionately and argued well. I hope some threads he participated in remain in the forum, bobbing up and down as they are periodically bumped due to renewed interest.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
To Steven's dad:

You have my deepest sympathy. Steven (or NFL) and I ended up discussing things around my own areas of interest a few times. Those interests revolved around our shared respect for life, although we came at our positions from different places. I remember him as thoughtful and inquisitive.

Alcon said:

quote:
I'd be willing to spend some time sifting older threads and copying and pasting them in some sort of memorial thread if that's what's required.
Alcon, if you're willing to devote yourself to that task, I think it would be a wonderful thing. Newfoundlogic wasn't the first to leave us this way and if Hatrack continues as a community, he won't be that last. I'm sure there are stand-alone posts you could collect that are still retrievable that would be nice to save for those of us who knew him to be able to read.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
nfl will be missed, he contributed greatly to this place, to this community.

May you rest peacefully, Steven.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
How sad. I didn't interact much with NFL, but he definitely helped define our community. We are greater for having known him and poorer for the loss of him.

NFL's dad and family, you have my prayers and wishes for peace.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry. I didn't really know him, and I'm sad to say I only read a few of his posts, but he always struck me as wise and strong, in an "older rbother/protector" kind of way.

This really made me aware of my own mortality. I'm only two years behind him, and my sister's older than that. My mom had skin cancer removed recently. It scares me to think that anyone I know could be affected.

Thank you, NFL's dad, for telling us this. Even though I didn't know him, I'm still in tears over the death of someone dear to this community.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, and I offer my condolences. [Frown]
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Boruch dayan haemet. Hamakom yinachem etchem b'toch sh'ar avlei Zion v'Yerushalyim.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Steven was a valued member of our community, and he will be sorely missed.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, out of curiousity, what does that mean?
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
NFL and I disagreed on a lot of political issues. However, I never got the sense that he enjoyed arguing for argument's sake. His opinions were always well-reasoned and substantiated with credible facts.

What I love most about the guy is that we could have a heated argument about terrorism in one thread, and then moments later talk like buddies in a fluffier thread discussing computer games or basketball.

NFL was an important part of this community. He will be missed. [Frown]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry for your loss. [Frown]
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know Newfoundlogic very well, but I know what it means to lose someone you love. My deepest sympathies to you and your family.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's newfoundlogic's hilarious response to this picture posted by dawnmaria:

"The Santa doesn't look like he's going to eat the baby, but the baby definitely look's like she think she's going to get eaten by Santa."

[Smile]

I think that was his last post actually. His last 300 posts can be found here. There are some gems as that list goes all the way back through the 2004 presidential election.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I am so very sorry.

I am also shocked to learn of Steven's age... he was always so mature, intelligent, and confident, I had always assumed he was much older than I (I am 21).

My thoughts are with you and your family. Thank you for taking the time to speak with us, it means a lot. Steven will be missed.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know him well, but its hard to consider losing a Hatracker. I offer my condolences to his family and friends.

[Frown]

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I am very sorry to hear of his passing. I will keep your family in my prayers. I hope it gives you some comfort to see how well liked and thought of you son was here. He will be remembered here always.
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know, during what must be an awful period for you.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, this makes me so sad. I've been around this forum for a long time, in various incantations, and NFL has always been an interesting, articulate contributer to our virtual community.

We had pretty much polar opposite views about anything having to do with politics, and there are times I can remember when in disagreeing with him I allowed my emotions to get the better of me. And he never seemed to. Maybe thats why it was so easy for me to fly off the handle [Smile] . But even when I was getting all hot and bothered in a debate, I still had to like and respect him. His views were never presented in a nasty, or vitriolic way. He put alot of effort into getting his point across coherently, and you could see the passion of his beliefs underlying everything he said about them. He forced me to look at the opposite spectrum of what I believe and acknowledge some of its worth.
I really will miss him.
I'm very sorry for your loss, and I hope you take comfort in our memories of your son.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know him well, but the loss of one so bright so young is always a great tragedy. My sympathies.

[Frown]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew him pretty well, mostly from Ogame of all things. We were near the top of the rankings together, and often chatted on the forums.

I was looking forward to meeting him now that I moved to FL, but I knew he was having a rough time of it so I had not mae any plans. I was hoping he would be well enough to attend this years Hatrack Picnic so I could finally meet him IRL.

I am completely weirded out now.....

We had the same last name. I never knew that, even though we talked every day for months during Ogame.

I am very sorry for your loss. Had I read this earlier I would probably attended his services.

God Bless and keep him.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm deeply sorry for your loss. We will miss him greatly.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry for your loss. Like others, I'm surprised at nfl's youth - he always came across as so mature, intelligent, and reasonable that I thought he had to be at least a decade older. He will always have a place in our hearts.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
I just remember newfoundlogic as a constant. He was one of those guys who's just part of Hatrack, you know? That you always expect to see here.

He was funny, clever, probably the most articulate and intelligent of the under-18 group. He will be deeply missed, and my prayers are with you and your family. I know his memory will live on here for all his participation in our little community.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newfoundlogic 's Dad
Member # 9094

- posted      Profile for Newfoundlogic 's Dad   Email Newfoundlogic 's Dad         Edit/Delete Post 
We have been very moved by the messages as to our son Steven. We've had a lot of visitors at the house tonight so I haven't been able to respond or even carefully read and re-read your words as I'm anxious to.

I did want to explain one thing about the charities cited from the obituary in lieu of flowers. We didn't really pick those- Steven did.

Just before Steven started college he opened a checking account with his savings from a summer job at a convenience store and from refereeing soccer. A few days ago I looked at his checkbook and saw that his first check when he got to college was for $250 (which I assure you was a fortune to him) to the Friends of Israel Defense Forces. He picked that out completely on his own. I know Steven worried about the suffering of soldiers, particularly wounded veterans, in the USA and Israel. That charity is not for bullets but for the well being of soldiers, disabled soldiers, and the families of those killed in battle. Steven's next check was to a US Army charity and there were others.

Ironically, at the time Steven was struck by cancer he was helping organize FSU's "Race for the Cure". Cancer had already struck people close to him, like it was to strike him, although his cancer was not genetic, hence we listed the American Cancer Society as his other choice.

I'm not encouraging anyone to give anything-I think that's personal. Rather, since it came up I wanted to explain why those were his choices not ours.

Again, we deeply appreciate your messages about him.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of anything to say that would do Newfoundlogic justice. All I knew of him were his posts, but I valued those comments a good deal - they were among the most memorable and insightful on this forum for me.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I am so sorry to hear about this. My thoughts and condolences, much as everyone else, go out to your family and friends.

I know that I always enjoyed newfoundlogic's lively debates. To be honest, I thought he was a number of years older for the longest time.

We will always remember him, I just wish there were words to express my sympathy and condolences to everyone who knew him.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for letting us know about the charities. We really don't have money to donate right now. However, I want you to know that I'm pledging right here and now to do 10 hours of volunteer service for the American Cancer Society this year, in his honor.

I think he would have liked that, from the little I knew of him. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry to hear this.

Like everyone else I had no idea newfoundlogic was only 19. His discussion was mature, well thought out and often very funny. [Smile]

My best wishes and thoughts to you and your family.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Goodbye Steven, we will miss you here.

And I add my thoughts and prayers for his family.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.