FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Newfoundlogic Died Saturday (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Newfoundlogic Died Saturday
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so very sorry [Frown]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little rare on hatrack last time and i don't remember have an interaction with him. But I will address you my most sincere condoleance to you and your familly. I already lost three loved member of my familly, and i know the sadness we have in these moments.

Be strong. If you have bad times, go here to explain us : you will always have somebody to help you.

So, you are the Welcome.

Cordiallement,
Choobak.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry for your loss. He'll be missed here [Frown]
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for sharing that with us. I have been thinking a lot about him, and you, the last few days.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newfoundlogic 's Dad
Member # 9094

- posted      Profile for Newfoundlogic 's Dad   Email Newfoundlogic 's Dad         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone: Thank you for your remembrances, they are something we will cherish.

Morbo: I really appreciate your digging out that thread. It shows the strength of your community that you could go at it and still respect each other.

I find Steven's comments very poignant-I probably could pick all his out without knowing his screen name. i'm glad that you at least were not offended by his sometimes overly attacking tone. I think that was due to some excessive youthful exuberance. One of my biggest dissapointments is that being stricken at age 18, he didn't have a chance to develop from making arguments to being a more engaging persuasive advocate.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Courage !
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Ted, I found that he had already moved in that direction. Take a look again at the difference between the first posts he made and his more recent ones. [Big Grin]

He really is missed here as well. [Frown]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Newfoundlogic 's Dad:
... i'm glad that you at least were not offended by his sometimes overly attacking tone. I think that was due to some excessive youthful exuberance. One of my biggest dissapointments is that being stricken at age 18, he didn't have a chance to develop from making arguments to being a more engaging persuasive advocate.

Youthful exuberence, are you kidding?! I'm twice Steven's age, and became much more hostile and aggressive in that thread, to the point where I had to withdraw and cool off, while Steven kept his cool and countered every argument I made with a better counter-arguement.

That was typical of him in heated argument threads, to stay focused on-topic and why I posted that thread here: because Steven had class. [Hail]

Notice how I gave him the last word, (in my own thread!), because I ran out of ammunition to argue with.
He would have made a great attorney. [Frown]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newfoundlogic 's Dad
Member # 9094

- posted      Profile for Newfoundlogic 's Dad   Email Newfoundlogic 's Dad         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you and you hit the nail on the head-he did want to be an attorney.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary Robinette Kowal
Member # 8388

- posted      Profile for Mary Robinette Kowal           Edit/Delete Post 
I usually only lurk, but I wanted to express my condolences for your loss.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry for your loss. I too am one of the younger members of Hatrack -- I'm a 20-year-old college senior -- and as one of Steven's contemporaries, this hit me particularly hard.

[Frown]

While I never interacted with Steven outside of this board, he was a breath of fresh air in what (at that time) otherwise tended to be an older community. In a place where discussion of youth-related issues are both frequent and particularly contentious, it was nice to have an ally that was standing on the same ground [Smile] . He stood up for me in a number of threats when he first joined, and I was always grateful for that.

Morbo's right -- he would have made a great attorney.

I will really miss him.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry for your loss. [Frown]

Count me as another person who has been impressed in the past by nfl's arguments, debating skills and overall attitude. We were lucky to have him here.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a funny exchange between Slash the Berzerker and Newfoundlogic. I've long forgotten the topic, but Slash kept ribbing Steven to trade in his "new found logic" for a pair of socks. [Smile]

I've been thinking about this thread for a few days, off and on. That exchange, from a few years ago, stands out in my mind. I did play Ogame with newfoundlogic over last summer, but quit after a month.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been around much lately, but I was around a lot more when Newfoundlogic posted frequently. I didn't participate much in the debates on hatrack, but I enjoyed his company with the games and playful banter on the "fluff" threads.

Your family has my sympathies.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Even as a lurker, I am very sad to receive this news. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

I am so sorry.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh... [Frown]

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no...
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aunty Eem
Member # 7743

- posted      Profile for Aunty Eem   Email Aunty Eem         Edit/Delete Post 
I rarely have time to check in. I am glad I did today.
My daughter is a regular poster on this site and I have grown to know alot of the "regulars' on the site. My little girl is, Ryuko, in here and she is 20 yrs old. She tells me your son was quit the debator.
I can't imagine your pain, it is too much to imagine.
I can only compare it to losing both my parents and even that doesn't quit do it. I can't tell you the pain will get better only easier to bare with time.
My prayers and hopes that you find a way to cope and ease the unbearable

Posts: 63 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
NFL's dad-

I am so sorry for your loss.

Steven was a poster who, even if I was only skimming a thread, I made sure I stopped and read his whole post on the subject. No matter what else anyone was saying, one couldn't post intelligently on any topic Steven had already posted on, without absorbing his words. He wasn't the last word (on hatrack? Someone having the last word? Not bloody likely!), but he was always an extremely important word.

I will miss his words and his thoughts.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry. As you can tell, he was loved here, and probably everywhere else too.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to let you know your family is still in ym thoughts and prayers.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry for your loss. I will remember your family in my prayers.
Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I am truly sorry to hear this. You have my utmost sympathies.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Baruch Dayan Ha'emet. [Frown]

I wasn't too active and knew nfl only little. But he is one person I never quarreled with or ever felt anything for but courtesy and friendship.

One person I'd have liked to know better.

בגן עדן תהא מנוחתו. לכן, בעל הרחמים יסתירהו בסתר כנפיולעולמים ויצרר בצרור החיים את נשמתו. יי הוא נחלתו, בגן-עדן תהא מנוחתו, וינוח בשלום על משכבו, ונאמר אמן.

(A hybrid of prayers.)

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of any words to say here. I am so very sorry. Although I am not a frequent poster, I always enjoyed reading what nfl had to say. He will be missed.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Has there been any luck on getting nfl's posts, Mr. Logic? If not, is there anyone here who could write a script that would basically open every thread from 000018 to 041000 (or so) and check if nfl posted (maybe look for "member# 3907" rather than his name to avoid posts where people might just be referring to him -- I don't know how to write scripts so I don't know what's involved; I tried to write an Excel macro, but I could only open HTML files and couldn't figure out how to save them so I gave up), and if he did then save the thread as an HTML file or something? If you (general) use the "printer version" then you don't have to check each and every page. It's probably one of those things that should be run at late night/early morning USA time, when the board isn't generally busy.

Also, just so it doesn't hit out of the blue, I plan to unsticky this thread after it's been up for a month.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I am starting a script which should do that now. It will take a long while to run, but I have tested it on a short range I knew contained an nfl-thread, and it worked there.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

speed-wise, sure, but my script only takes fifteen lines, and a lot of that's just readability and such.

code:
#!/usr/bin/env python

from urllib import urlopen, urlretrieve
import sys
first = int(sys.argv[1])
second = int(sys.argv[2])

for threadnum in range(first, second):
threadurl = "http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=2;t=%06d" % threadnum
thread = urlopen(threadurl)
for line in thread:
if "(Member # 3907)" in line:
urlretrieve(threadurl, "%06d.html" % threadnum)
break
thread.close()

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

So far I have the files of 670 threads nfl posted to; the work is approximately three fourths done.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for doing this, fugu.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, thanks, fugu. Glad you got the skillz.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll add my voice to the "thank you" chorus. I was going to bump pooka's thread and speculate about the possibility of doing it via the Wayback Machine.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newfoundlogic 's Dad
Member # 9094

I'm sorry I didn't see this last night but I took the night off from retrieving and printing his posts-its hard to explain but its very draining. I apologize to fugu for not knowing he was undertaking this. The administrator was finally able to open up the search so it could go back further and this showed 713 threads going back to June 18, 2003. I don't know if the search fugu discussed would show any different results.

Apparently, before that is off the system.
I tried to look at the wayback machine for the stuff before that-he joined around August 1, 2002 but randomly searching I didn't find any- I guess you have to know where to look, unless you have your own search mechanism.

I would be grateful if anyone knows a way of looking for that period August 1, 2002-June 18, 2003, or remembering something as one person linked. That youngest period is very meaningful to us as it really brings back memories and shows his growth.

Again, I apologize for not keeping the search responses current and would be appreciative of any help on the earlier period.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be possible to use the Wayback Machine, an online archive of old pages that are no longer available, to find the posts. I used the advanced search to find a preserved copy of this forum from July 18th, 2003 that lists threads going back 45 days before then. It should be possible to get the threads for the preceding year via the Wayback Machine.

The catch is that I don't think there is any way to search through them for posts by a specific member, because the buttons on the Wayback copy don't work. [Frown]

fugu, can your script be adapted to sift through Wayback?

Added: I've perused the Wayback archive a little further. It doesn't look like all threads are archived. [Frown]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Well, mine appears to be more thorough than the search -- so far I'm at 718 threads, and might pick up a few more (I'm not sure what number I'm processing right now, but its near the end of the range).

I'd have to look at wayback, but my script can mainly be kept so simple because of the high regularity of forum thread URLs. If I can manage to take advantage of that regularity when using wayback's capabilities, then I'll be able to delve into it.

fugu13
Member # 2859

718 threads appears to be it.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Guys, it is so cool that you are able to help out this way. I wish I could, but since I can't I will just be a cheerleader for you. [Big Grin]
Newfoundlogic 's Dad
Member # 9094

Thank you again for everything that you are doing for us. Its really incredible that you would do this to preserve the memory of someone you never personally knew. Its something I'll always remember when I look at his posts.

I'm glad a couple of you understand this, because I can't even explain how far beyond me you are.

Kwea
Member # 2199

See...while we may have never knew him IRL, we DID know him here. It is weird...I have never been anywhere on the web that makes me feel as comfortable as being at Hatrack does. I would have laughed before I came here if anyone had ever told me I would get caught up in a message board to the point of meeting the people IRL, but here I am. [Big Grin]

NFL was someone I wish I had met IRL, but even though I never will get the chance now I am glad I interacted with him here. I am sure other people here feel the same way, even though it i hard to express it to someone who hasn't experienced it first hand.

You should see me try to explain it to my parents sometime. [Wink]

fugu13
Member # 2859

010198 appears to be the earliest thread. There's no need to deal with This Thread Does Not Exist pages because those pages don't include the string I'm searching for, so they're discared anyways.

For now, I am uploading all the files to a web server I have:

http://rjduhon.com/home/

(still uploading, they won't all be there for a bit, but its uploading faster than you can browse [Wink] ).

Did he ever post on the other side?

fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, and the last one is this thread, since my script included the text in question.

(edit: its not included in my count)

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I note that one of the threads is the "What does it do?..." conundrum.
http://rjduhon.com/home/014464.html

[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newfoundlogic 's Dad
Member # 9094

fugu: other side?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The "other side" of the river.

A quick search seems to indicate that he did not.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

oh, I'm certain large chunks of data are missing, but there's nothing to be done about it. The only reason a thread as old as that first one is still around is . . . well, take a look at the thread [Wink]

As a bit of an explanation for nfl's dad, the thread is a bit of hatrack history, and has been repeatedly bumped for ages.

I've started the script running on the other side, just in case. It shouldn't take many forum resources, and there are many fewer threads there, so it shouldn't take overly long.

I'd be happy to provide the files all bundled to anyone who wants them, however best delivered.

Newfoundlogic 's Dad
Member # 9094

can you explain a little about the bundling/delivery options that you are referencing?
fugu13
Member # 2859

Most likely I'll just compress them all and stick them up in that same directory; easiest way to do it.

edit: there is now a compressed archive of all the files in the directory. Here is a direct link: http://rjduhon.com/home/nfl.tar.bz2

Newfoundlogic 's Dad
Member # 9094

I downloaded it but my computer says that windows needs to know what program created it.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
WinRar should be able to unzip the archive.

link

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Hmmm, I don't know what's handy on windows to unzip a bzip2 file (which is what that is).

Well, here's something that will do it on windows, but I don't know how easy it would be to use: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/bzip2.htm

I'll just put up a zip file. http://rjduhon.com/home/nfl.zip

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.