FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Newfoundlogic Died Saturday (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Newfoundlogic Died Saturday
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
nfl's dad, if you are confused about some of what is going on on those threads, we would be glad to provide you with more context. For instance, you might be curious about the game "mafia", or wonder about some of the in-jokes being bandied about. Reading through the first few threads on the list, I realized that someone who didn't know the context would miss a lot of what was going on. Most of the threads on which nfl contributed heavily seem to be political threads or sports, which are probably some of the least cryptic, so that's good. [Smile]

But if you're curious about what something means on any of the threads, particularly the fluffy ones which are full of in-jokes and teasing, then just ask. Any of us would be glad to fill you in. [Smile]

I wish we had everything he'd ever posted available for you to read in order. I wish we had a perpetual hatrack archive somewhere. I can only imagine how precious to you now is every word he wrote, in which his personality comes shining through so clearly. He will be greatly missed.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newfoundlogic 's Dad
Member # 9094

- posted      Profile for Newfoundlogic 's Dad   Email Newfoundlogic 's Dad         Edit/Delete Post 
fugu: thanks, the zip file you did worked great in downloading everything. It looks like I now have saved everything still on the site, which is from July 18, 2003.

If at some point if you had the time would a search work for the older stuff? He apparently joined July 31, 2002. I guess some of that's on the wayback site. I tried looking through at some potentially likely topics but its really like looking for a needle in the haystack.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newfoundlogic 's Dad
Member # 9094

- posted      Profile for Newfoundlogic 's Dad   Email Newfoundlogic 's Dad         Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana: You are right in all your thoughts but between the site administrator opening up the search and fugu making the files available for downloading I think I have everything after July 18, 2003 available in date order, which I have been reading and printing.

Yes, its all meaningful, particularly being able to see his personal development, since he started on this early in the middle of high school.

As you correctly assumed, I would like a little primer on the mafia game and any other inside jokes.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll look into how I might be able to mine the info out of the wayback machine, but I'm not sure how much I'll be able to glean.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Here is a good reference for the rules of mafia. I've never played it, so other jatraqueros will have to chime in if we play by a variant of these rules.

As for in-jokes, one that I saw in perusing those threads will be explained if you know this. "eslaine" is an earlier alternate screenname of Erik Slaine, who is a guy. People kept mistaking eslaine for elaine and thinking he was a girl when he posted under that name. Ralphie is kidding him about that, saying such things as "Where has eslaine gone, anyway? I miss her." [Smile] Oh, and by the way, Ralphie is a girl.

There is a whole lot of such teasing and joking going on in most hatrack threads, particularly the fluffy ones (those that don't deal with politics, religion, science, or some other serious subject). Rather than trying to find them all and explain them, I will just welcome you to ask about anything that piques your curiosity, and I know that anyone would be glad to fill you in. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
bumpity because I don't want this thread to get pruned....

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there pruning going on? I thought that there wasn't.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Ah, this thread is sad.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it is a very sad thread.

I wonder how Steven would have responded to my post today in this thread? He had ripostes for any previous points I could come up with.

I miss arguing with him.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.