FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Newfoundlogic Died Saturday (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Newfoundlogic Died Saturday
Newfoundlogic 's Dad
Member # 9094

- posted      Profile for Newfoundlogic 's Dad   Email Newfoundlogic 's Dad         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sad to tell you that Newfoundlogic (my son, Steven) died at age 19. He was a freshman at Florida State University majoring in History. When healthy Steven enjoyed spirited discussions of varied topics.

Steven loved this site and was an avid participant in it, especially before March 2005 when he was diagnosed with a rare nearly always lethal cancer, the complications of which killed him. After that time he still followed the site and wrote, including about his cancer, when he felt relatively well.

I know Steven greatly enjoyed his interchange of ideas through the forum. He also appreciated the thoughts and encouragement of you in his fight against his cancer.

If anyone has any recollections of discussions with Newfoundlogic or perceptions of him we would appreciate your sharing them with us, his family.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry for your loss. Could we send flowers, or donations in his name somewhere?

He was a special voice here. He will be missed.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I too am sorry for your loss. I can't say I knew your son very well, but I'm glad he got some pleasure and joy from this community. I'm sorry you joined it under such circumstances.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for letting us know. That was very kind of you to do that for us.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Thank you for letting us know. On December 10th, he posted that he had been pronounced NED. I hope that means the complications arose suddenly and that he went quickly and didn't suffer for too long.

[Frown]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
My heart goes out to you and your family. I'm very sorry.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Words fail, but I also am sorry for your loss. Ours, too, but yours first.

--Pop

<Stickied thread so that people can share thoughts and thread can be found easily.>

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no [Frown]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry for your loss, which is also a loss to us of a wonderful member of our forum. He will be missed so much around here. Everyone's been wondering how he is; I'm sorry to hear this. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I'm so sorry to hear this; I'd hoped he'd pull through. Your family has my thoughts and sympathies.

I'll likely post more later, but I have to absorb this first.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry. [Frown]

My main interaction with Steven was not in political threads, but in sports threads. I used to live in Miami (and still live in Florida), and I am a fan of the Dolphins and the Heat. I am not a fan of the Marlins, but wish them well when my team, the Yankees, happen not to be on top. So I shared his excitement last year as the Heat made their run, and the year before, when it was totally unexpected. I also shared his excitement as the Marlins were making their last championship run, right up until the World Series [Grumble] .

I also used to enjoy the jabs back and forth between him and the local University of Florida students and alumns. I'm a Miami Hurricane fan, so I would just wait until the smoke cleared and tell them all that they were just arguing for second place. [Wink]

I'm so sad to hear that he is gone, but grateful to you for posting to tell us, and specifically for inviting us to share our recollections of the good virtual times we shared with him.

You have my sympathy.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Thank you for letting us know. I will keep your family in my prayers.

This really hit me. Wow. I remember seeing the "How is newfoundlogic" thread last week and wondering how things were. I'm sorry for his family. So so sorry. [Frown]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I am very sorry.

Thank you for letting us know. I'm touched that he cared enough about this community to tell you about us and (if he asked you to tell us) to be sure that we knew what happened.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
For those who are interested, here is a link to newfoundlogic's most recent posts.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
nfl's dad,

Thank you so much for letting us know. My heart and prayers are with you and your family. I have a son the same age (also named Steven) so it makes me realize how much I should cherish what I have.

Steven's member number here on Hatrack was 3907. You can search by member number using the search feature, and re-read his past posts to us and cherish the interaction. I'm glad Hatrack can give you a little piece of him to hang on to.

Hugs to your whole family from my whole family

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I am very sorry for your (and our) loss.

My prayers are with Steven, you, and your family.

I remember him most from the political discussions; we lined up on the same "side" about half the time. He was fervent and articulate and he will be missed.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you for taking the time and consideration to let us know in your time of grief.

I never had much personal interaction with your son, but I remember his participation in many of the threads about Judaism, as well as the threads about Harry Potter.

He will be greatly missed around here.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry....
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry for your loss. I remember newfoundlogic as an intelligent and articulate contributor to rivka's "Ask the Rebbetzin" thread - he taught me a lot about Judaism and it was always enlightening to hear about his experiences. I also remember his generally positive outlook when he was fighting cancer.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about his death. I will miss him.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
You have my sympathy. I didn't know newfoundlogic well enough to share any perceptions, but this is quite a sad thing to read, nonetheless.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who may wish to send a card or something, I believe that This Link would be newfoundlogic's obit.

Hard to believe he was only 19.. wow...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know your son very well, but I remember him as being passionate and intelligent. My most heartfelt condolences to you and yours.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry for you loss, and we all thank you for letting us know. [Frown]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry for your (and our) loss. [Frown] Thank you for telling us.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry to hear of Steven's passing! He was so young. I appreciated his thoughts in the political threads, he was one of our best conservative thinkers. I was always interested to hear what he had to say.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry for your loss. [Frown]

I never knew your son as Steven, but only as Newfoundlogic. I enjoyed our few exchanges in several threads and Hatrack is the poorer now. He always seemed to be an articulate and thoughtful person. He will be missed.

Thank you for letting us know.

(((Newfoundlogic's family)))

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts are with you and your family in this difficult time. He may be gone, but he won't be forgotten anytime soon.

Let us know if there's anything we can do.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I am very sorry for your loss...Words are to inadequate to express such sorrow...Our thoughts are with you and your family
Thank you for letting us know of his passing

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the link to the obituary, Farmgirl.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My sincere sympathies to you and your family. I wish you strength and comfort in this difficult time. I am sure that your son will be long remembered fondly by Hatrack.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so deeply saddened by your loss, but like so many of us here, I've been so deeply enriched by your son's participation here.

Steven's age came as a bit of a surprise for me the first time I learned of it. I find myself wishing that I had been half as together and well-thought out as he was when I was his age. Honestly, at almost twice his age now, I'm still not sure I've reached his level. He was quite a guy to learn from and look up to.

What a good mind, heart and friend he was and what a wonderful asset he was to each of our lives. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I exchanged views with Steven on politics somewhat often and found him to be tenacious, passionate and informed in his opinions, yet polite in expressing them. It amazes me that he knew so much for one so young.

I will miss him, and I'm so sorry for your loss.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
:-/

I'm sorry for your loss. I didn't know newfoundlogic very well, but he seemed a good chap.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my...(((nfl family))). I didn't know him all that much, but I always enjoyed reading his posts. I am so sad to hear this.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know newfoundlogic well, but I did admire his debating skills. I'm very sorry for your loss, and my thoughts are with you and your family.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so very sorry. Please know that your son will be greatly missed here and that we are all thinking of you and your family. Thank you for letting us know of Steven's death; we were all pulling for him and his spirit will remain with us.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I regret not getting to know newfoundlogic better. He had so much to say, and I enjoyed his point of view. My prayers are with your family.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so very sorry.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I was shocked to find out how young he was, as, like most of the people who have posted here, I found him articulate and persistent, but never rude in making his points.

I remember being hopeful as he would update us about his condition. He will be missed around these parts. Your pain, however, must be beyond my comprehension.

Be proud of who he was.

My heart and prayers go out to you, and I echo the thanks for your consideration in letting us know of his passing so quickly.

-Jim

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for letting us know. One of the problems of being in a virtual community is that we don't always hear about losses in the real world. It is very much appreciated.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

I'm very sorry. I hope your family is doing well.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry for your loss.

[Frown]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry for your loss. I always enjoyed reading newfoundlogic's political views. He was always intelligent, polite, and he seemed to truly try and understand other people's perspectives. He will be missed. [Frown]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for letting us know.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so very sorry. [Frown]
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so very sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I remember the bravery and hope with which Steven faced his cancer treatment. He will always be remembered at hatrack.

Jenna

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had known Newfoundlogic better. I remember him mostly as one of the friendly and thought provoking contributors to this community, and for that I will remember him fondly. We had some similar interests (among them, Harry Potter and baseball).

I am so sorry for your loss. [Frown] He had a short life, but it seems that it was very well-lived.

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. Newfoundlogic was a great guy, and a core member of our community here.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry. This really hit me too, not realizing he was so young. He was very articulate, making him sound so much older than his years.

We'll keep your family in our prayers.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I have not participated in Hatrack as much lately, but I am now getting back into it. I understand Steven's attraction to this place.

Newfoundlogic always stuck in my mind as a cool name, but I am sad to say I didn't really know who he was, what he was going through, or his political/religious views. I missed it.

I just did a search on his posts. I read many of them at my work. I am alone in a large room and I just feel "loss." Teary eyed. I am glad his thoughts are preserved here.

I am glad I am getting to go back and experience what other Hatrackers understood about your son. I am so sorry for your loss.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.