FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pet peeves (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Pet peeves
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, I'll tie my work boots and dress shoes. As for casual, I never tie them and often wear sandals. [Smile] *peeves Starsnuffer*

AvidReader, there isn't a form of car repair bureau in your state?

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Epictetus:
-Reclining seats in coach, and/or people who don't ask permission before reclining their seats.

Really? I've never had anyone in front of me ask permission before they recline their seat, nor have I asked.

-----

- Sentences that are intended to be questions but end in a period

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
Aluminum vs. Aluminium

I still just use "tin foil".

As a chemist, I feel it necessary to point out that Aluminium exists in many forms that have nothing to do with "foil", many of which are in common everyday use.

I mean, what do you call it when you see a mass spectra with a peak at mass 27 with a slight mass deficit?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
AvidReader, there isn't a form of car repair bureau in your state?
I found a government bulletin about deceptive billing practices back in '96 that references an Auto Repair Bureau, but I can't actually find the Bureau. I'd never heard of it before I went looking for it.

The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services does offer a list of tips for picking a mechanic and an 800 number to check out the number of complaints they've received about them. That's all I see.

Besides, if there was an easy way to keep from getting taken, how would the local news do a big expose piece about area mechnics every few months? Bay News Nine wouldn't know what to do with themselves. [Wink]

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, which reminds me:

- using "spectra" or "phenomena" where they should be "spectrum" or "phenomenon"

[Wink]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't like seeing people wreck their shoes by not tying them. (this is sort of like the people crushing down the heel of their shoes that someone mentioned...somewhere I guess it isn't in this thread though. hm)
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Kind of a car industry thing, but I can't stand it when people say VIN number. VIN stands for "vehicle identification number". It's redundant!
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I mean, what do you call it when you see a mass spectra with a peak at mass 27 with a slight mass deficit?
Mom?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I die a little inside when someone says VIN number, ATM machine, or PIN number. Or "same difference."
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Starsnuffer:
I just don't like seeing people wreck their shoes by not tying them. (this is sort of like the people crushing down the heel of their shoes that someone mentioned...somewhere I guess it isn't in this thread though. hm)

I still don't get it. I keep my shoes in great condition. I rarely tie them.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
  • Bad comedians

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
My Grandmother called it "lead foil."

[Angst]

quote:
I die a little inside when someone says VIN number, ATM machine, or PIN number. Or "same difference."
Very much agreed. Wikipedia has an article about it titled RAS syndrome.

[ August 03, 2008, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Pegasus ]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:

I wonder what recursive acronyms would do to you.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
- Co-workers who do not make a new pot of coffee when they take the last of it. A quarter-inch of coffee on the bottom of the pot is NOT "still some left" which absolves you from making more. If there's not enough for another full cup, you need to make more. (This is similar to the replacing-the-toilet-paper rule. One square remaining does not absolve you.)
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
- teenagers (there are exceptions)
- bad drivers

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:

I wonder what recursive acronyms would do to you.
I'm cool with intentional redundancy for the sake of humor.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm aware that aluminum foil is not tin foil. I just say "tin foil" to avoid having to pronounce "aluminum". As for the mass spectra with a peak at mass 27 with a slight mass deficit ...

I would probably be speechless.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People who call trance music techno.
I use techno as a catch-all term for electronic dance music. Electronic dance music is too unwieldy for common use, even if it is more accurate.

EDIT to add my own: Swiffer Vacs.
If that little special cloth thing is so great, why the vacuum? In fact, this entire line of product just sets me off. They're usually less effective than normal cleaning products, and create more waste.

[ August 04, 2008, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Juxtapose ]

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
As Juxtapose said, they might not be the same, but you can't deny they're both forms of electronic dance music. They're definitely related.

Juxtapose, they don't have to be effective or produce little waste. They don't even have to do anything that they promise at all, they only have to sell. It's just another stupid company that thinks that making people think their product is good rather than producing a good product. In the long run, only the latter is truly successful in a capitalistic economy.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
  • People who say "You only liked The Dark Knight so much because you just like Batman! And it's only making lots of money because Heath Ledger died!"

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
People who only contact you when they want something from you.

"Oh, hello person I haven't talked to in a month since I was so rude last time! How about you come to my house so you can give me your money in exchange for stuff I'm selling!"

Now, I think those are fine if you clearly have a relationship beyond this. However, when it's the first time you heard from someone in two months and they were rude the last time, it's not okay.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
  • Grown-up men who don't lift the seat when they pee.
    Grown-up men who don't wash their hands before leaving the bathroom.
    Smokers who gather outside the door in small groups and stare at you as you enter the building--hoping I'll scowl at them, I guess, and affirm that the world is against them.
    People who prefer to sit in their cars outside their houses.
    Guys who sit on their porch steps (usually with no shirt, punk hair, and a cig) and stare at you as you drive by--same reason as above
    The VP in my office with the loud, annoying laugh that's about as sincere as everything else he says
    Check Engine lights
    One-way streets
    People watching People's Court on the TVs at the gym

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

I don't get that last one.
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
[*]People who give themselves two minutes in the bank to do a seven minute transaction.
[*]People in a terrible hurry who won't get off their cell phone to answer my questions or complete my requests.
[*]Customers who don't get their way, whine to the manager about it, and smirk at me on their way out the door after they get what they want.
[*]That manager.

I think the cell phone thread gave me flashbacks. [Angst]

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Insure vs. Ensure
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
quote:
As Juxtapose said, they might not be the same, but you can't deny they're both forms of electronic dance music. They're definitely related.
Yes, well a car and a truck are both automobiles but they are not interchangeable terms.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

• People who revive an older thread for the sole purpose of making a wildly off-topic post that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread.

Show confidence in one's own topic. [Smile]

(Not directed at anyone in this thread.)

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just thought it was all the same until I did a web search. [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

Pet Peeve of Today: The woman who interrupts Greek class to tell stories about her cat.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Cabinet doors being left open and disorganized closets.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Did she tell them in Greek?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Tragically, no. She shares every thought that comes into her head, and she gets very pouty if other people are better at a given translation than her. She required constant validation for how she is doing.

She is much older (at least 55) and I think she's lonely - that explains why she uses Greek class as her coffee clatch. I sympathize with that, but I still wish she'd knock it off.

No one's stories about their cat is as adorable as the teller thinks they are.

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's generalize that:

No one's stories about their [adorable thing] are as adorable as the teller thinks they are.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I admit I usually like the kid stories. I do not like the cat stories. Especially the cat stories.

"She just looked at me! And then licked my hand! Like she knew!"

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
Insure vs. Ensure

What's up with that?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Pet Peeve of Today: The woman who interrupts Greek class to tell stories about her cat.

and you say she WALKED on your KEYBOARD? how unprecedented no ma'am we have never heard that sort of story before ever not even a million times
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
People who say "You're overthinking it" when the obvious answer to their trick question or riddle happens to be technically more 'complex' than the answer their looking for.

Man, my current teacher drives me nuts.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
For that matter: teachers who like to "engage their students in discussion" by asking questions with one particular obscure answer in mind and refusing to continue the lecture until the students guess right.

Also: teachers who refer to the above teaching style as the "Socratic Method."

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
You and I must have been in the same class Raymond. That's the way teachers BS their way through a semester.

Also the phrase "You don't get it"
No love, I get it, I just don't care.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

• People who gripe about scientific inaccuracies in Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's a world where it's possible to kill the Moon. The laws of our universe don't fully apply. [Smile]

[ August 12, 2008, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

katharina
Member # 827

Here's an example! Of lousy use of acronyms!!!

quote:
To expidite this process submit your DOB to [someone]
What the crap?? I'm guessing they are saying date of birth, but I shouldn't have to guess on that.

If you are going to send an urgent message telling people to submit a certain piece of information immediately, it is helpful to actually what piece of information that is.

And to spell expedite correctly.

scifibum
Member # 7625

DOB possibilities:

Delicious Oat Bun (A little bran could expedite things...)

Derelict Oceangoing Boat (I can think of certain immigration activities that have been expedited with one of these)

Dainty Oval Barograph (uhh...never mind)

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
  • fragile juicy nectarines that are impossible to seperate from the pit without turning them into nectarine pulp. (Why can't they label nectarines according to whether the pit will separate? I just want nice neat nectarine slices.)

I wonder if you can do what I do with avocado: take a heavier knife like a chef's knife, give the pit a hard tap with the blade so that it sticks in the pit, and then use the leverage of the knife to twist it out. It makes for perfectly-pitted avocados every time.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
People who use school volunteer mailing lists to sell Mary Kay, Tupperware or the perfect vacation. We are not your customer database, we are people who volunteered to be reading tutors and teacher's helpers.

Room Moms who refer to themselves in the newsletter as Room Mom's.

Organizations that don't follow their own rules. Most recently the IOC, because if those countries banned some other group from competing, you know they would be barred from the games. Grr.

Being told you are going to be paid X amount of money on June 21st (for work you've already done) only to realize that it is now August 12 and still no money has materialized.

Realizing that all those times you said, "Well, at least it can't get any worse" you were being laughably naive.

The man driving the Saturn Vue in front of me who had the license plate reading "God's Vue." (Though it was fun to imagine following him until he got out of it and the things you could say. "Wow, you're balder than I imagined...")

*This burst of negativity brought to you by the government of South Africa and the letters F and U.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

People who don't know the difference between being sophisticated and being spiteful self-centered douchenozzles.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*completely agrees with Olivet on the IOC*
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
- People who use "myself" when they mean "me". e.g. 'When you've finished with it return it to myself.' (Return it to ME!!!) 'There will be Dave, Mary and myself there.' (Dave, Mary and ME!!!) Drives me nuts!
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cashew:
Drives me nuts!

[Big Grin]
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

I keep catching myself using "may" where I should be using "might". I may be somebody's pet peeve. [Wink]
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
Originally posted by Cashew:
- People who use "myself" when they mean "me". e.g. 'When you've finished with it return it to myself.' (Return it to ME!!!) 'There will be Dave, Mary and myself there.' (Dave, Mary and ME!!!) Drives me nuts!

<nitpick>Dave, Mary and I.</nitpick>
[Big Grin]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.