FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pet peeves (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Pet peeves
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
People who crush the end of white board markers. We can get a new marker at work one day and by the start of the next day the whole chisel tip will be crushed into the body of the marker.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
* People who walk beside shopping carts in narrow grocery aisles.

* People who let children- especially children barely tall enough to see over the handlebar- push shopping carts.

* The person in front of me at the ATM who appears to be attempting to use it to contact the mothership.

* People who pretend not to see pedestrians waiting to use the crosswalk as they make right turns across it. Especially in bad weather.

* Slow jaywalkers.

* People's whose enjoyment of a game is dependent on preventing other people from enjoying the game.

* People who park minivans, SUVs, and similar large vehicles badly in compact spaces.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate when the parking lot is only half full and I leave an empty space between me and the closest guy so I have room to get out and collect my things and someone wants to pull into the empty space I'm standing in. Being two spaces closer was really that important to you?
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
People who talk about the kind of person they are all the time, in a way that makes them sound like great big pretentious jerks. Like this:

But that's just me, you know, that's just the kind of person I am. I'm an iconoclast. If I see a rule, I just have to break it - I'm always testing the limits, you know, see how far I can go. That's why I didn't do well in the sciences, because the sciences are all about rules, and I was always questioning the teachers about, you know, why do we have to do it THIS way, why can't we do it ANOTHER way? They really don't like to have their worldviews questioned like that.

That is my pet peeve. I always want to smack those people.

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This drives me crazy, as it's usually ME and my kids. They just will not stay in a line and out of the way of other people. I'm constantly grabbing their shirts and moving them over to the side.

*The person at church who takes up two of the only four parking spaces in the shade. Every week. (The first time I thought, okay, maybe it's a mistake, maybe he doesn't realize he's parked across two spaces. But it's been at least five times now ... parked the same way, across two spaces. Grrrrrr.)

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
quote:
This drives me crazy, as it's usually ME and my kids. They just will not stay in a line and out of the way of other people. I'm constantly grabbing their shirts and moving them over to the side.
I make some allowances for children (which is why my second peeve begins "people who let children..." not the children themselves.) It's when grown-ups who really ought to know better do it that really drives me nuts. I've all but stopped shopping at Winco because the modestly lower prices aren't worth the rise in my blood pressure... For some reason, the store seems to be full of oblivious people, and many of the aisles are long and narrow.

[ August 21, 2008, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Sterling ]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
* People who don't keep their fingernails clean and trim.

* People who don't have their house number posted in a place that's visible from the road, but expect delivery drivers to find it with the greatest of ease anyway.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
"Professional" photographers that blame me for their crappy photography and total lack in understanding of lighting, depth of field - and proportions of all things. No, I can't just make everyone fit in an 8x10 when the group spans the entire frame from end to end. Oh, you could do it on your computer at home could you? Well good luck with that. You have fun doing the impossible. I'll be here when you come back. Honestly, people actually paid you to shoot this crap?
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People who talk about the kind of person they are all the time, in a way that makes them sound like great big pretentious jerks. Like this:

But that's just me, you know, that's just the kind of person I am. I'm an iconoclast. If I see a rule, I just have to break it - I'm always testing the limits, you know, see how far I can go. That's why I didn't do well in the sciences, because the sciences are all about rules, and I was always questioning the teachers about, you know, why do we have to do it THIS way, why can't we do it ANOTHER way? They really don't like to have their worldviews questioned like that.

That is my pet peeve. I always want to smack those people.

I completely agree with this pet peeve. Fortunately, these people tend to grow out of it, so if you wait it out, you don't encounter it as often.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Roommates and their boyfriends. Especially at 11:30 at night.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Websites that don't use a unique title for their pages. What you don't want me to bookmark interesting things on your site? On a related note, people with broken syndication feeds.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
L_mustang94
Member # 11693

- posted      Profile for L_mustang94           Edit/Delete Post 
When I have to do work that I shouldn't do.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
People who use the phrase "when hell has frozen over." Hell already froze over when Linus Torvalds got a blog!
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People who talk about the kind of person they are all the time, in a way that makes them sound like great big pretentious jerks.
You are my new best friend. Absolutely cannot stand people describing themselves. "I'm really eccentric, I do just crazy things all the times, people think I'm wierd." No they think you're annoying, because instead of actually being eccentric all you do is talk about being eccentric while trying to pretend to be eccentric. You probably watched a show with a character that had a quirky personality and you thought that would be cool to be like that. So now you spend your time trying to convince people of something that isn't true.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
ppl who chew with their mouth open a lot. i know it happens on occasion, but some ppl just do it naturally ALL the time. this is especially true for ppl who chew their gum like this.

When i was in college, i couldnt stand taking exams with ppl sniffling and coughing right next to me. it was so distracting. nothing you can really do about this, and there is no way i would ever say anything to someone doing it. i've been that guy a couple times. it just sucks for the rest of the class though.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
People who don't corral their shopping carts in the parking lot. Put them away, dagnabbit - I want to park where your lazy butt left that cart!
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
  • People who think they're entitled to special treatment because they succeeded in breeding.
  • People who feel the need to inform me of the negative health effects of smoking.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The Office, the American version. Awkward humor causes me mental and emotional pain. When I see people getting into embarrassing situations I inevitably internalize it. It's why, "Meet The Parents" made me want to kill myself. The Office is like a weekly dose of Meet The Parents. It's awful, I wish my wife had not just discovered the show because she is now blazing through seasons one and two.

Save me from this show, I'd rather endure water boarding.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
If you dislike that form of humor, pray that your wife doesn't move on to the original version once she finishes with the American one.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
The Office, the American version. Awkward humor causes me mental and emotional pain. When I see people getting into embarrassing situations I inevitably internalize it. It's why, "Meet The Parents" made me want to kill myself. The Office is like a weekly dose of Meet The Parents. It's awful, I wish my wife had not just discovered the show because she is now blazing through seasons one and two.

Save me from this show, I'd rather endure water boarding.

I should get your wife into Arrested Development.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon: The only reason I'm currently safe from the British version is that Tiffany does not like accented English when she watches TV. I also have no intention of informing her that a British version existed in the past.

Samp: She had already seen both seasons of Arrested Development before we got married so that loose end is tied up.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Samp: She had already seen both seasons of Arrested Development before we got married so that loose end is tied up.

You know... there are three seasons. It's also worthwhile to point out that they were aware the show would be canceled in the third season and proceeded to make it as zany and awkward as possible.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by dantesparadigm:
quote:

You know... there are three seasons. It's also worthwhile to point out that they were aware the show would be canceled in the third season and proceeded to make it as zany and awkward as possible.
Shhhh!
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't find the humor in Arrested Development at all like that in The Office. The Office bugs me for the same reason it bugs BlackBlade (although I'm not at irritated as he seems to be), but Arrested Development is pretty much the best show ever.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
People who cross-thread fasteners.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mocke
Member # 11963

- posted      Profile for Mocke           Edit/Delete Post 
People who say "ohashi jyozu nee" and "nihongo jyozu nee". Look, I have mastered things you expect of a three year old, it isn't that amazing. When you come to America, we don't watch you eat and tell you how amazing you are with a fork.

People who spit or urinate where people walk.

People who think that they are entitled to their space bubble on a crowded train, OR people who shove for space that obviously isn't there.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.