FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pet peeves (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Pet peeves
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
  • Grammar Police.
  • People who get angry when others correct grammar mistakes.
  • Hypocrites.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, I was just poking fun. [Smile] How often do you see me play grammar police?

I'll add one more:
Broken tools that take 6 weeks to get rebuilt. [Mad]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
quote:
Originally posted by Cashew:
- People who use "myself" when they mean "me". e.g. 'When you've finished with it return it to myself.' (Return it to ME!!!) 'There will be Dave, Mary and myself there.' (Dave, Mary and ME!!!) Drives me nuts!

<nitpick>Dave, Mary and I.</nitpick>
[Big Grin]

I'm pretty sure "me" is correct.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless, it's awkwardly structured. "Dave, Mary and I will be there" is much better.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick, you're right, it is meant to be 'I'. Thanks. I guess I got so nut-driven I didn't notice myself make the mistake [Wink]
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yarrgh!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
I mean, what do you call it when you see a mass spectra with a peak at mass 27 with a slight mass deficit?

College flashback?

It's a bit like looking down a long Hall.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
People who sit a the stop sign until every one has come to a complete full stop before they're willing to take their turn. Just go already.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm developing a pet peeve about people in a conference room together, with others on a conference call, who talk amongst themselves instead of addressing the entire group (which requires talking loud in the direction of the speakerphone).
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
smokers who throw their cig butts out the window.
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People who sit a the stop sign until every one has come to a complete full stop before they're willing to take their turn. Just go already.
People who steal my right of way at a stop sign that I beat them to because I came to a full and complete stop and they didn't.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
quote:
People who steal my right of way at a stop sign that I beat them to because I came to a full and complete stop and they didn't.
I agree and those aren't the people I'm talking about. I'm talking about the people that wait for me to finish approaching and come to a full stop before they're willing to go, even though they're just siting there as I approach.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I do that. It's because people don't always stop, and I'd rather way a few more seconds than get t-boned by someone who wasn't paying attention.

That probably wouldn't be you, but I don't know that until I see you actually stop.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for slowing down the whole world Kat.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
She's not alone, I do it too.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
If it prevents a single accident in my lifetime, it is worth every other moment of slowing down. You know what really stops traffic? An accident in the middle of an intersection.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
I keep catching myself using "may" where I should be using "might". I may be somebody's pet peeve. [Wink]

Um, that's wrong? Who knew?

quote:
Originally posted by Cashew:
Nick, you're right, it is meant to be 'I'. Thanks. I guess I got so nut-driven I didn't notice myself make the mistake [Wink]

No, it's "me". Davidson's law win's again. [Wink]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

What's Davidson's law? From context I'd assume it goes like "Grammar police are bound to embarrass themselves by making grammar mistakes when attempting to correct others." Or, to make it more similar to Godwin's law, "Over time the likelihood of successive attempts to correct the grammar of others to themselves demonstrate grammatical errors approaches unity."

And is it our Davidson? [Smile]

Edit: found it.

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:

The irony is, I think everyone who posted about LK's spelling errors had at least one of their own in the post where they commented.

This is what I call "Davidson's Law," in the hopes that it will make me famous across the Net:

"Every post which is made for the express purpose of criticizing the flawed grammar and/or punctuation of a previous poster will itself contain at least one error of a similar type."

(figured I couldn't be the only one unsure about this.)

[ August 14, 2008, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: scifibum ]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
- People who start a game of Spades by going blind-nil and then drop off when they see they have the Ace of Spades.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
When, seeing me with a pregnant belly and lots of kids, people ask me:

1. Are they all yours? (no, some are kidnapped?)
and
2. Don't you know what causes that? (I'm split between a stupid look, "No, what?" or saying, "Yes, and I'm very good at it".

Ditto above, except when my husband's with me too, and complete strangers tell him to "get fixed". (when clearly nothing's broken [Wink] )

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
That is too funny, Sachiko. [Smile] Though I find I kind of like showing up at the neighborhood pool with a bunch of kids (especially my neighbor's daughters, who match our family in coloring and are stair-stepped with my boys, and Wee Boy's friends from down the street who are adorably multi-ethnic). I suppose I have come to enjoy keeping people guessing (after some years of doing it by accident).

The best is probably when I take my kids and their gaggle of cousins somewhere, because they all look like me. Also, my nieces and nephews all think I'm much cooler than my kids think I am. [Big Grin]

I think my kid-related pet peeve is when people talk down to me because they see me with kids. Like I would not possibly have had children if I'd had enough brains to have other options.

Makes me want to knee-cap 'em. Grr.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
That is really funny. We have four and get that a lot. People have asked if we are Catholic. Another asked if we had cable. We said, "yes and we have Cinemax too."
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to keep Peeves as a pet, but that pesky poltergeist would have none of it.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

I tried to pet Peeves once, but... never mind.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a pet, Peeve, but he got into a fight with the neighbor's bête, Noir.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lobo:
smokers who throw their cig butts out the window.

Smokers in general. I know they can't help being addicted but. . . just stop killing yourself slowly! [Wall Bash]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

Quoting Mike:
No, it's "me". Davidson's law win's again.
Unquote

It's actually "I". The rule as I was taught it is that if you are saying, "Dave, Mary and I will be there" the "I" or "me" is decided by leaving out Dave and Mary, so leaving "I will be there". You don't say "Me will be there", therefore you don't say, "Dave, Mary and me will be there."

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
-Forgetting how tall I am, jumping, and hitting my head on a doorframe.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's actually "I". The rule as I was taught it is that if you are saying, "Dave, Mary and I will be there" the "I" or "me" is decided by leaving out Dave and Mary, so leaving "I will be there". You don't say "Me will be there", therefore you don't say, "Dave, Mary and me will be there."
True, but that wasn't the original sentence. The original sentence was,
quote:
'There will be Dave, Mary and myself there.'
In which case, "Dave, Mary and me" would be correct. You don't say "Me will be there," but you would say "There will be me there."

(Or, actually, you wouldn't, because it's an awkward sentence. But if you did, "me" is correct.)

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would "there will be me" be correct?
"It is I" is grammatically correct, for example. Why would changing the tense change the object?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Perhaps because the construction in "It is I" is an exception to the rule? Maybe the "I" in "It is I" is not actually an object at all, but a second subject. Also, tense is not the only difference between the two sentences: one wouldn't say "There is I", but one might say "There is me".
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Why would "there will be me" be correct?
"It is I" is grammatically correct, for example. Why would changing the tense change the object?

Both "I" and "me" are grammatically correct after a copula verb. They've both been standard for hundreds of years now. The difference is one of register, not grammatical correctness.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
-You

-People who think they are more important than whatever book I'm reading

-people who steal other peoples nicknames

-People who dont understand me when I speak in fragmented sentences

-Pills (just give me liquid, or a shot gawsh-dang)

-medicine (we survived as a species so far!)

-people who say L-O-L instead of lawl or O-M-G instead of awmg.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

You say "awmg"? That's awesome.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I say "I just ell-oh-elled out loud".
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
-The saying "Darkest before dawn"

Wouldn't the brightest time of night be directly after sunset and before dawn? If we accept that it really is darkest before dawn, then we could just as easily say that day is brightest before sunset, and that spring follows summer(Both of which are two, but not at the normally assumed timeframe)

(This is not to make light of the ongoing thread called "darkest before dawn" but it reminded me that I dislike that axiom..idiom?)

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

It IS brightest before sunset. You get that wonderful golden glow only right before sunset.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

It is darkest before dawn, just not right before. But, sometime before dawn, you can bet that there was a time when it was darkest.
scifibum
Member # 7625

• Rorschach ink blots. I mean, who do they think they are???

Cashew
Member # 6023

Whatever anybody else wants them to be, I guess...
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
  • People who come out of a department store and walk diagonally across the road.

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

People who come out of a doorway and turn in one direction while looking in the other...
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
  • People who come out of a store or down an escalator and stop where they are while getting their bearings or greeting someone, heedless of the fact that there are people behind them who'd also like to walk out of the store or get off the escalator. The escalator thing isn't just annoying, it's unsafe.
  • People who are oblivious to their surroundings, especially in lines or in traffic. This is sometimes aggravated by cell phones, but not always.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
  • People who come out of a store or down an escalator and stop where they are while getting their bearings or greeting someone, heedless of the fact that there are people behind them who'd also like to walk out of the store or get off the escalator. The escalator thing isn't just annoying, it's unsafe.

I wonder if escalators are equipped with sensors to detect when too many people are standing in the landing area (by weight, for example) and shut down. If not, this could get REALLY dangerous as the escalator forces people into the backs of others who might not be able to move forward for some reason.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
  • Bulleted lists of only one item.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
  • Bulleted lists of only one item.

Wow, looking at that actually causes pain.

My pet peeve is the opposite of what was stated above. I hate it when people have the right of way at a stop sign, and then try to wave me through. Just go already! You only confuse people if you try to alter the rules behind right of way. Just observe the system, it's perfect, don't try to second guess it!

Little dogs with inferiority complexes also must leave.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

My pet peeve is the opposite of what was stated above. I hate it when people have the right of way at a stop sign, and then try to wave me through. Just go already! You only confuse people if you try to alter the rules behind right of way. Just observe the system, it's perfect, don't try to second guess it!

I'm with you on this. I've come to believe that people just don't know the rules of the road, so they think they're supposed to let everyone else go first. Or to let people turn left on a 2 way street. What amazes me are the drivers who try to wave you on when there are 2 other lanes of traffic (all obeying the rules of the road) keeping me from turning left, but they waive their right of way and think that's gonna let me go ahead? They think they're being polite, but they're just making a mess.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeahhh and inciting a crash. as a matter of fact, the only crash I was in was basically this situation...

I was naive, and didn't realize anyone would be driving down the turn-off apron for the place I was trying to turn into... grr people who try to cut the line waiting at a red light by going in a lane otherwise not meant for you do drive in...

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

Also, people who refuse to get in the right lane when they know they need to exit when there's a long line of cars waiting to exit and they just stay in the left lane then try to "cut" in line.
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

People who call you "boss" when you're their customer. Like the pea brain that works at the closest fast food place. "Here you go boss." I frankly don't know why I ever go there. I'm always angry when I leave. (They're also the most incompetently managed place imaginable. I've worked in fast food and other customer service jobs and no one there has the slightest understanding of how to keep things moving or how to handle a crowd. I guess this parenthetical also qualifies as a pet peeve.) (It frankly makes me more annoyed that I allows crap like this to bother me enough that I'm actually angry.) (Queue the post claiming to find long content rich parentheticals annoying!)
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.