FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Job Hunting Support Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Job Hunting Support Thread
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, interview tomorrow 2:00 pm. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Knock 'em dead!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of fortunes!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I've spent all morning getting paperwork together. In addition to the interview, I also have to deliver some letters of reference to a different board of ed. So, I've been copying and sorting and am about to get ready to leave the house. Wish me luck!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Luck, and lots of it!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Well, that went.....great! [Big Grin]

She has to interview two other people - both of which were coming in this afternoon after me, and so I could possibly know something as early as tomorrow. More likely it will be next week or later, but still.

We talked about various aspects of classroom management, pedagogy and the type of commitments she expects from her teachers.

I'm very excited. I've interviewed enough to know when one goes well, and this one went well, I think. Unless I completely misread her. It would be 9th grade, which is world literature and the curriculum guide includes my favorite book of all time - To Kill a Mockingbird. [Big Grin] Romeo and Juliet, and the Odyssey are also on the curriulum. I would not have to teach any electives, so I would only have one class to prep for.

On an added note, I stopped by a board of ed for another school system to drop off my completed application (I had been waiting for letters of recommendation). I chatted with one of the people there (whom I have an existing relationship with) and told her I had to leave to go to an interview and she said "Don't go interview with them! We're trying to hire you!" This is the system that asked for my references and proof of all my test scores, so they are definitely interested too. So, if this 9th grade position doesn't work out, maybe I will have a shot with this other school system!

rivka
Member # 4859

[Big Grin]
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it looks like it will become necessary for me to frequent this particular thread in the very near future.

I hate budget cuts.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

A new job opened up today at a high school close to home and one of my top five places I'd like to work. I've applied for it officially but have to send a letter of interest - which I will do tomorrow. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

Bando, I'm sorry. That sucks. [Frown]

Belle, good luck!

Belle
Member # 2314

So sorry Bando! That is terrible. I hope you find something quick.
Belle
Member # 2314

Delivered a resume to a county school board and she told me to apply in August to be a long-term sub if I didn't find anything before then. She said there was a great need for certified subs and that it would be a good way to get my foot in the door.

I hope I don't have to resort to that, but it is at least a fall-back. No news from the interview the other day, but then I didn't really expect anything so soon. Waiting is so hard!

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity, other than the obvious and non-trivial fact that it's not permanent, how does long-term subbing differ from a contract position in your neck of the woods? ie. pay? responsibilities? benefits?
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

A long-term sub usually fills in for someone on maternity leave, or medical leave or personal leave. For the first two weeks you make the daily rate of a normal sub. For weeks three until the end of your assignment you make the same daily rate as a teacher under contract. Only certified teachers can work as long-term subs.

So, it usually works out to be two weeks sub pay, and about four weeks at the same pay as if you were working, but you do not have a contract. You can be let go at any time. As for responsibilities, you are the teacher in that class, so all the responsibilities that go along with that. There are no benefits involved, as you are just a temporary employee.

[ May 15, 2009, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Belle ]

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

And the duration for say a mat leave is typically how long?
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Usually six weeks. That is the most common reason districts need long-term subs, is maternity leave. I know of one teacher that is taking nine weeks leave for the birth of her child, though. So, it is possible you could work longer.

I really don't want to long-term sub, as the money is not so good the first two weeks, and the position is temporary, but if you can line up several long term sub positions you can make decent money. Some school systems will employ a "permanent sub" where you do get a contract and get paid as a teacher, but your job is to travel around and fill in for long term openings as needed. If you don't have a long-term position, you will work as a sub day-to-day.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Weeks?! That's what you people get for maternity leave? Teachers usually take a full year here...
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
We've had many, many long-term subs get hired when the teacher of record ended up not coming back for various reasons, or another teacher leaves or loses her position. Good luck, Belle. [Smile]
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Very sorry to hear that Bando. [Frown] Hope you find something better or at least as good as your former job.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Neo-dragon, you are certainly entitled to take more time under the Family Medical Leave act and many schools have policies that allow up to a full year's leave of absence for tenured employees. But, that time is generally unpaid. Most people can't afford to take off a year without receiving a salary.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I should mention that I'm officially job hunting as well. My second consecutive year-long teaching gig comes to an end when the school year finishes in June, so I'm back on the hunt for something permanent starting in September. I really hope I land something...

Edit:
Ah, I see.

Belle
Member # 2314

I have still heard nothing from my interview last week. I'm taking that to mean it is bad news and I didn't get the position.

Today I put in another letter of interest at the same school I did last week because they posted another position - computer teacher. Everywhere I go to apply, they are very impressed by my technology skills and by my background as a corporate trainer teaching people to use computer applications.

So, I'm hoping that I will have a chance to get an interview for at least one of those places. The bad news is they will not even begin interviews until the closing date of the posting - which is next week. So, I am back playing the waiting game.

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Very sorry to hear that Bando. [Frown] Hope you find something better or at least as good as your former job.

I really like my current job, so the best outcome, as far as I'm concerned, would be for the financial outlook for our state and district to improve so that they can reinstate positions.

Our school district jumped the gun compared to other districts in the state, initiating layoff notices before the May state budget forecast came out. My district built the budget and layoff model on a projected state budget of 5.4B for education. Three days later, the state comes out and says that they expect to be able to budget 6.0B on K-12 education throughout the state. That's enough to reinstate 70 of the 101 positions that were layed off last week.

Still, our superintendent is looking at the numbers from the state and saying that just because the state SAYS they will fund 6B for the next biennium, it doesn't mean that it will turn out that way. Particularly since our state's budget relies almost exclusively on income tax and lottery proceeds. Grrrrr.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Oh man, Bando that's terrible. I hope they do reinstate you, though.

Fifty more jobs were posted today, but most of them are too far away for me to drive. I really don't want to drive more than 40 miles one way, not with gas the price it is. So, I'm debating whether or not to even apply for these jobs. An 80 mile round trip is better than no job at all...but I really am hoping one of the places I applied at closer to home will come through. ARGH!!! Frustration.

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
looking at the numbers from the state and saying that just because the state SAYS they will fund 6B for the next biennium, it doesn't mean that it will turn out that way
This is true. Kansas still doesn't know what the exact budget will be for next year.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a job, didn't even have to interview, in fact I got to interview them! Of course it's working for some of the professors here at UT but still... [Cool] Actually that's even better for me in the short run since it will hopefully turn into a research assistantship which will pay for the rest of my schooling on top of a stipend. Yay!

I'm doing testing on the fatigue performance of certain connections for a steel girder bridge. It starts this Tuesday!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That's great, Hobbes. Good luck turning it into the assistantship!
Hobbes
Member # 433

Thanks Rivka! [Smile] The timing is just right, it would probably go through August (of next year) and I'll be done with the necessary course work by May. I wouldn't mind hanging around for one more semester like most RAs would have me do, as there are some pretty interesting classes, but this could work out just perfectly!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Any other good new on the job front? I just found out that our school district isn't going to be hiring it's elementary teachers until August because the (idiotic) superintendent wants to wait until the new elementary principal officially starts in August and let HER hire the new teachers. Grrr!!!

Ok, I get the fact that he wants to let the new principal be in on the hiring decisions, but why not just "contract pay" her for the time she spends interviewing before then. No decent teachers want to be waiting until August to find out if they have a job. I shutter to think what we'll end up with...

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Oh no! All the good candidates will already have jobs by then, most likely. That is terrible!

No news, and nothing will happen until after the holiday. The job I really, really want will not even begin interviews until after Tuesday, so I'm not expecting a call until Wednesday at the earliest. That is if I get a chance to interview...but I'm hopeful.

This principal is looking for an English teacher and a computer teacher and I applied for both. When I turned in my app for the computer education position, mine was the only one...and that was Thursday, leaving only Friday and Tuesday for others to apply. I'm hoping that even if some more people get their apps in, the number will be low enough that I get an interview.

I would take either one if he offered it, the school is in the same district as the ones my kids attend, so it would open the possibility of eventually transferring to be right here close to home. As it is, the city this school is in is also where our church is located so I already have ties to that community.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
You're so amazing, Hobbesy. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks, Bando. Just north of you, over 200 public school teachers were or are in the process of being laid off in the Seattle public school system. In the greater Seattle area, it's at least twice that number. It's terrifying.

In related news, if anyone's looking for very part-time work in the Seattle area, my friend is hiring for 16-20 hours a week, $13/hour + commission, customer service work. If you contact me first, I can tell you how to ace the interview and let them know you're coming, but do it soon, they already have over 200 applicants.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

[Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I should check this place more.
I need a JOB! I worked most of last month and none of this month!

Maybe next month will be luckier.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Oh, the ups and downs of job hunting! I found out that a teacher at the school where I did my internship has been non-renewed. I feel terrible, because she was a mother with a young child and really loved her job there. On the flip side, she's certified in the same area as me, so it means a potential opening for me to pursue. *sigh*

I feel like vulture, swooping down to poach on someone's misfortune.

On a positive note, the job that I really, really want at a local high school is still open and I found out my cooperating teacher knows the principal. I sent him an email, sending regards from her, and hope that he will call me for an interview.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

On what grounds does a teacher get "non-renewed"?

Sorry if my questions are a bit off topic for the thread sometimes, but I'm fascinated by the differences in the teaching profession in the US compared to in Canada.

Belle
Member # 2314

If the teacher is non-tenured, it can be anything from poor job performance to the principal doesn't like the way you wear your hair. Seriously, a non-tenured teacher can be non-renewed at the end of the contract period for any reason. They don't even have to disclose the reason (and often don't.)

People are often non-renewed for budget reasons, especially right now. If there is a reduction in enrollment, they will let teachers go because they no longer need the unit. In short...there are tons of reasons why someone may be let go and often the teacher doesn't even know why.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Yikes. Here's hoping that you not only get a job, but get tenured as soon as possible.
Sala
Member # 8980

Unfortunately, I've known many people who were non-renewed, and for three years I had the "opportunity" to sit in on some discussions by the leadership of the school about whether someone should be renewed or not. Some of the things that would be said included . . . shirt was too tight and neckline too low and skirts too short (despite repeated directions from admins to change wardrobe) . . . too critical and harsh sounding . . . too deadpan (not enough variation in tone and affect) . . . too subversive (lots of natter, natter, natter in the teacher's room) . . . acting too young . . . . Rarely were the abilities to teach and the growth of students stated. I've moved on since then, but I'm sure these attitudes are reflected in more than just the one place I was in.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm unofficially job hunting, too. My contract expires in a couple of months, and, following that, I will be entering the private sector.

If anyone here happens to be a defense contracting executive, I'd like to chat. My resume should be cleared in about two weeks.

Good luck, Teachers!

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been half-heartedly job hunting as I'm finishing my PhD this fall.

My current boss has asked me to apply for a manager position in the department where I'm working. I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that it works out and I don't need to hunt!

If anyone is able/interested in giving an ABD doc student in Family Studies applying for a manager position in Instructional/Technical Support any resume tips, I would certainly appreciate it [Smile]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Resume tips are to always emphasize the qualities you think the person hiring is looking for. I have two resumes right now - one for applications for English teaching positions, and one for computer education teaching positions. The same information is on both, but there are slight differences. For the English one I highlight my education and student teaching experience. For the computer one I highlight my past experience as a database programmer and web design experience.

In both resumes, the first thing you see is that I am certified and highly qualified, because principals need to know that up front - it's the most important piece of information.

Ask yourself what the person interviewing needs to know and in what order does he/she need to know it and lay out your resume accordingly.

As for me, I applied for a new position today - a true, new position. Due to some changes in the state requirements, the county vo/tech center needs to add an academic teaching position for a person certified in English. I applied for it - even if I'm not sure what I'll be teaching. The kids who attend our county vo/tech center take their core courses at their home high schools and only attend the vo/tech center for half a day. So, I'm confused as to why they need an English teacher there. Maybe to teach occupational/business English? The person at the board who accepted my application didn't know.

At any rate, it's an English position in my home county so I applied for it.

KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
In the last two weeks I have applied to eight companies, had four interviews, three second interviews, and today I got my first job offer.

It's only a 30 minute-ish commute, my starting salary would be 20,000 more a year than my base salary at my last job (well, with bonuses around the same as I made last year-- but it's hourly so if I work overtime I will get time and a half), and they are willing to pay for my CE to maintain my EA license. It's a tax resolution firm (negotiating with the IRS and other agencies, something I'm good at and enjoy doing.) I like the atmosphere and the hours-- it's 8-5 so I would get home pretty early, and during tax season still have time for tax preparation on the side (independently or as a contractor for someone else, like one of the small firms that expressed interest in part-time help during tax season.)

And, I wouldn't even have to wear a tie!

Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

That's great, KPC! Congratulations!

[Party]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Hypothetically speaking, what does it mean if a principal calls and leaves you a message on Friday evening, says that he'd like to interview you, mentions Monday as a date (no time) and the number he leaves you to call back is the school's number, where if you leave a message he won't hear it until Monday?
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Through some very unfortunate circumstances, I have to quit my job. This bums me out, because I like it a lot for a part-time gig, and because I'm terribly nervous about getting another job.

So today I submitted an application to a posh private girls' school. I do not have an education degree, but I've got a lot of class and teaching time clocked, so I'm hoping that persuades them to give me an interview. Which, most likely, I won't be able to go to since I am in the wrong country. But it can't hurt to try, right? It's a 1-year contract internship, and it would be so amazing to have a consistent schedule instead of the variable supply-work one that is my other likely option.

Darnit, I did not want this, I wanted to stay where I am with my nice secure employment.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

neo-dragon, it means you either call first thing Monday and confirm the time, or (and this is what I would do) you show up Monday morning and present yourself in person and say "I was told to come for an interview but there was no time mentioned."
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I think It'll be best to go with the former, especially since I have my current job to be at on Monday morning. I did in fact call the school and leave a message saying that I would call back Monday morning.

To clarify, he didn't actually say that he wanted to interview me on Monday. It was more like he wants to interview me, and he wants to start doing interviews on Monday. It's kind of what I inferred from what he said and how he said it. Plus, in my experience they usually like to get these things out of the way in one day and be done with it.

Sala
Member # 8980

If you show up on Monday morning, he'll probably take you right then to interview you, unless a parent or other pressing issue comes up. Unless he uses an interview team and hasn't gotten together with them yet to discuss interview techniques or questions to ask. If you call, early Monday morning, you'll probably get to pick a time more convenient. Good luck with it, either way! I wish you the best.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.