FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Job Hunting Support Thread (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Job Hunting Support Thread
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
My turn, again. Well, hubby didn't get the job. [Frown] We'll keep trying, though.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Sala, I'm sorry. I know how frustrating it is.

I have been looking for a job steady since February. Checking online listings, mailing resumes...I feel so defeated it's hard to keep my head above water most days. However...quitting isn't an option, so you just have to keep going.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I subbed for a year before I got my teaching job. That seemed to be par for the course. Subbing doesn't pay very well, but where I am it's pretty much a guarantee of work any day you're available.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

And hope is not quite dead...got a lead today on a middle school job. Should be posted within days.

Still working on my backup plans. I'm going to take the ESL certification test in September and have applied for a job as a parent and community liaison with a school district. Not as much money as a teaching job, but would be an education-related job.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

The middle school job has not appeared...my lead was not as good as I hoped it would be.

Tomorrow I will head to the local board of ed to fill out paperwork to add me to the sub list. I'll do the same at the school board for the county next door.

If I can average 2.5 days a week the first semester, I estimate I can bank enough money to pay for two classes in grad school. Even better, if I pass the certification test in September for ESL I will be eligible to teach at the local junior college where my husband teaches. So, if there is an opening for an ESL teacher at the junior college I might get a job there. If not, I'll just keep working on my education and try to make more contacts with principals.

I've begun to accept I am not going to find a full-time job this year. I'm actually very excited about pursuing the ESL path, and looking forward to getting back in school. Maybe this will turn out to be a positive development.

rivka
Member # 4859

I'm glad your plan looks like it will work well. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Well things are moving forward. The professor over the ESL program emailed me advising info and invited me to an information session. I'm really happy and excited.

Then...on top of that I got a call this morning for a middle school that needs an English teacher! Even better, the school has a large popoulation of migrant students and one of the questions the principal asked over the phone is "You don't by any chance speak Spanish or have ESL training?" I could honestly tell her I wanted my master's in ESL and had already taken steps to pursue that by contacting the university!

So, I'm back to hoping for a full time job again. But, I'm convinced now that if it doesn't happen, the world won't end. [Smile] I think I needed to get to that place, and I'm glad I worked my way around to it. No matter what happens, I'm going to make this work.

rivka
Member # 4859

[Cool]
Belle
Member # 2314

Once more I went to an interview and thought everything went well. But, I don't think I can trust my read of things.

I should know quickly, which is one saving grace. The Board meets Monday, and they would need to put their recommendation before the board, so they'll decide tomorrow or Friday.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Nothing. I have heard nothing so I am assuming I did not get it. They would have told the person they wanted today, I think.

I did however find out about a job at at local community college I'm qualified for. The deadline to apply is today at 4:30. I faxed over the application and stuff at 4:28. Cutting it a wee bit close!

rivka
Member # 4859

Good luck!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe yours will be on top of the pile then. [Wink] Good luck!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I have a lot going on right now.

First of all, another interview scheduled for Monday with a middle school. This is not a school of high choice for me (pretty long drive) but at this point I am not choosy. There are some good things about it - it is a school involved in an Alabama Reading initiative improvement program for adolescent literacy, which does appeal to me. The students are mostly economically disadvantaged. I have been trained in this program and I really think it is a good one and it has made a difference in many schools and I would love to be part of a progressive school that is actively working to improve literacy for students who need the help.

Secondly, I'm putting together everything I need to apply to the master's program in English as a Second Language. I also applied for several part time jobs at a local junior college. I think I would be content working part time while I complete my master's and move toward a future position with the junior colleges.

Finally, my hubby proved to me once again why I am the luckiest person in the world to be married to him. He told me that whatever I wanted to do with my life he is 100% behind. He wanted me to know that I didn't have any pressure to work full time from him and if I wanted to work part-time teaching a class or two per semester at the junior college and never get a full time job he was fine with it. In fact, he said if I wanted to stay home and write novels he would support that too. He wanted me to know that the pressure to get a job was completely self-imposed and was not coming from him.

I love knowing that the man I love supports me no matter what. It gives me the support and freedom to know that I am not a failure even if I don't get a full time job. That makes me very happy. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

[Smile]
Belle
Member # 2314

Wow, what a positive interview! The principal told me I was her favorite interview, then asked me if I would look up some info on the reading intervention program they use when I got home. I hope that means she is considering hiring me.

I should know quickly - even tonight. Registration is tomorrow so they want someone in place ASAP.

Of course, even if the principal says how much she likes me in person it doesn't mean she will hire me so I don't have my hopes up too high.

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
*crossed fingers*
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Good luck!
Belle
Member # 2314

Didn't call tonight..but still may tomorrow.

Two more jobs were posted today and I applied for both. That brings the grand total of jobs I've applied for the 2009-2010 school year to 51. Out of those 51, I've gotten 6 interviews. One called me back for a 2nd interview but didn't hire me. One wanted to hire me but had to give the job to a tenured special educator whose position was just cut instead.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a good feeling about this one, Belle!
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I do too, Valentine, but nothing yet. It's funny, had anyone asked me even as recently was three months ago that the job I most wished I could get as this one, I'd have been shocked.

It's in a very poor section of town, mostly minority students and test scores are not so good. BUT...the principal totally blew me away. She didn't hide the problems...told me up front there would be challenges in discipline and also with students who would need reading intervention. What impressed me is that she had plans in place to address those problems and shared those plans with me.

But, I don't count on anything. I applied for the other two jobs that were posted yesterday and I'll be looking for more today.

[ July 29, 2009, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Belle ]

Belle
Member # 2314

My search is over!

I have been hired to teach 7th grade English at the last job I interviewed with. I am so excited. Yes, it's a longer drive than I wanted but it will be worth it. I love what this school is about, and how committed the principal is to making this school - a mostly minority school in a poor community - into one of the best in the state. She is excited to have me, I am excited to be working for her this year, and all around I could not be happier with the way things have turned out.

Thank you Hatrack for the encouragement and support you've shown me, even when I was down and convinced that I would never get a position...you guys forced me to snap out of it and keep my spirits up. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

[Party]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! That's wonderful!! Congratulations!!!

I don't have enough exclamation points for this. Well done!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Belle! That's fantastic.

It sounds like your job will be challenging but ultimately very rewarding.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome news Belle, I'm very proud of you. Please do all you can to make the school you work at a better one. The potential good a teacher can achieve is so difficult to overstate.

[Smile]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo! Congratulations!
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoohoo! Congrats for the 8th time! [Smile]

(Well, I can't just reiterate what everyone else said. I have to make this unique.)

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Thanks everyone! I'm beginning to get overwhelmed at the huge amount of work ahead for me.

I don't think I've mentioned, but this job came with another job built in - I am also the cheerleading coach! Yeah, I know - crazy. I have no idea how to coach cheerleaders and I have no time to learn because practice will start immediately.

But, I was always told that new teachers are called upon to coach and sponsor things and to be prepared that it might be a requirement of the job. So, I'm not upset (I'm actually kind of looking forward to it) I just feel bad for the girls that they will be stuck with a coach who knows very little about their sport!

Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Belle!!!
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeehaw! I'm so glad for you Belle. Good luck with getting all of your preparations done. And good luck with the cheerleading. I'm sure you'll be fantastic. [Big Grin]
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I knew it! Congratulations!!
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.