FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How it all started and how it all ends. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: How it all started and how it all ends.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
(At work, thus no AIM. Checked email, had none, sent you one. [Smile] )
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
I was asked to post about this. I am new, but please respect my ideas. I have seen a lot of people give homage to the idea of diversity. However when people hear an opinion they don't like they get angry. They get offended. This is a magnificent oppurtunity for people of all different walks, opinions etc. to meet and share ideas. There's just one condition, we've got to be able to do it in a non-personal way. Homosexuality is a hot issue. It is very contreversial. Homosexuals often get offended when someone doesn't support what they're doing. People do the same thing about Christianity. People here have called it a crutch, talk about how it promotes bigotry etc. My religion, is of the utmost importance to me. So am I gonna get all angry because someone is defaming something at my core? No. We have to be able to allow people their opinions. We can try to change them, we can pick apart arguments, we just have to remember to remain slightly dettached.

There's my two cents.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"However when people hear an opinion they don't like they get angry. They get offended."

Ryan, you've said previously that you've deliberately said things to tick people off -- that you KNEW the way you put something would get a reaction, and specifically did it to GET a reaction.

Are you saying that people should not respond in the way you expect to provocations you create?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I said in the "descolada theory for treating newbies " thread that I thought a newcomer gets the respect he gives. Tom has a good point about you trying to get a rise out of folks, at least in the following quotes from the FL/Jeb Bush/rape victim thread
quote:
I really have trouble understanding the pro-infanticide point of view.-- Ryan Hart

Ryan, that was more than an insulting post for people who are pro-choice.--mackillian

I know. I'm trying to egg out a response.--RH

To your credit, you backed off some later in the thread.
Labeling people who are pro-choice pro-infanticide is not an argument, just cheap and showy semantics. I'm quite sure there are pro-choice and anti-choice (you prefer pro-life? that's my point) people on this forum. I have only been here a few weeks longer than you, Ryan, but I've heard of bitter abortion threads before my time. I haven't looked them up because I don't plan to argue about abortion here.

If you do, why don't you first glance through some older abortion threads? You could even bring one to the front page if you have something to add to the discussion.

[edit:Also, Godric is my bud, but he had no right to tell you to shut up. This Iraq issue has been beaten to death here, with plenty of folks pro-war with Iraq, and others against it. Search for Iraq or WMD using the forum search engine and you'll probably pull up several Iraq war discussions.]

[ August 25, 2003, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom: Your right in that case I was trying to be offensive. A mistake I will not repeat. That really wasn't what I was talking about. Inflammatory stuff (which is different than blatantly offensive stuff) should merely evoke a response, not an emotion.

[ August 25, 2003, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: Ryan Hart ]

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
An intelligent point should evoke a response. If the only you can get a response is to post something inflammatory you really must not have anything interesting to say.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Inflammatory stuff (which is different than blatantly offensive stuff) should merely evoke a response, not an emotion.
Only if you're Vulcan. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my, I missed this thread until today.
I'm so out of it that I didn't realize that Caleb Varns and John Keats were the same person.
((Caleb))
((Kat))
((Belle))
((Bob))

One of the things that we forget here at Hatrack sometimes (though I guess we are better at remembering it than other forums) is that ALL of us are real people. We can talk about an atrocity academically, we can even be shocked in horror by them. But we forget that all of us in our day to day lives have major difficulties. Maybe this is the place where some come to forget their own difficulties. Sometimes we post about them but more times than not I bet we don't. I know I don't. We ignore them, and try to make everyone else believe that we are perfect, with no aches and pains and hurts like everyone else.

All of the people above have been going through taxing personal times that we already knew about or have since found out about. If Hatrack doesn't lighten the road, but makes the burden heavier, then by all means stay away. We will miss you though. Those of you who are on hiatus have often made the load lighter for the rest of us. We do you a disservice by making it heavier for you.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
Hart:

That's retarded.

In yet another bout of self-contradiction, you point out that homosexuality is a hot topic issue, and yet claim that when you say inflammitory things, people should remain calm.

Should i presume what you mean then, is that you'd like to insult and offend anyone you'd like with impunity?

I hardly think that other people will look favorably towards such a view point.

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.