FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why are Americans viewed as arrogant self loving jerks? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Why are Americans viewed as arrogant self loving jerks?
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh yes, because it makes perfect sense to play rugby on concrete, cover yourself in padding, call it gridiron and tell the rest of the world it's far superior to the original form. [Wink]
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Tut tut: presidnet. Get it right. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Oohh... So you're saying that the title of the leader of the US is the result of someone misspelling the name of a system of computers?

Wow. I think my entire world may just have ended.

Does this mean that democracy came from the internet?

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Makes more sense than playing baseball in effeminate white sweaters, with a wide bat held incorrectly with like 17 bases, for twenty, thirty days at a time. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Cheiros you completely took everything I just said out of context. You are no better then mass media. I don't think I have any respect for you anymore. None.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Wow . . . I actually hadn't thought of that, Risuena. That explains what Al Gore must have been thinking when he created the Internet.
Icarus
Member # 3162

I should make a list of the people I have no respect for . . .
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Makes more sense than playing baseball in effeminate white sweaters, with a wide bat held incorrectly with like 17 bases, for twenty, thirty days at a time. [Roll Eyes]

I got served. Though I'm not sure what you mean by 17 bases?
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Really? The rest of that made sense?

[Big Grin]

Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
And if Al Gore was involved, that explains the misspelling, too!

Now that we've established that Al Gore invented democracy, why does the rest of the world think Americans are arrogant, self-loving jerks?

Oh, wait. Al Gore. That'd do it.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

And so we come full circle . . .

I declare this thread victorious, and ended!

Reticulum
Member # 8776

Why?
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Dagnabbit! A perfect thread-killing post, ruined!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Kids these days have got no respect.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Thread Officially Dead.
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

Hatrack Officially Dead?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
No fair! I wanna play! And Hatrack died this morning when I tried to post, and then we went out shopping (and I got some mighty nice expensive (for me) jewellery and stuff, and we just got home, and the thread expanded from, like, 25 posts to 3 pages, and I haven't had my turn to play, so *raspberries anyone who tries to stop me*

quote:
For example, I went to high school in South Florida, which is a popular vacation spot for people from Quebec. If I were to judge all of Canada by their behavior, I would have a very poor opinion of it indeed - they were, without exception, shockingly rude and unpleasant. I
Um, yeah, but that's Quebecers for ya. [Razz]

quote:
I however DO think that America is the greatest nation on Earth.
I don't. But then, I don't think any nation is.

In order for any nation to be the greatest, it would first have to be great. I don't think any nations are.

Every nation has its good points and its bad points. I just don't think that we, as humans, have evolved enough to that point.

Now, if you were to say, "best nation on earth" then we might have some real debate going. I'd still argue that the US isn't, but I don't think any nation really sticks out in the forefront, either. I think there's a bunch who are pretty close together, and one will be in the forefront in one area, another in another area, and so on, but no, I don't think any one of them, including the US, shines far and away above the rest.

quote:
(Also, baseball is far superior to cricket, as is football [real, manly, American football] to both rugby and soccer.)
Nah, that'd be Canadian football. With a playing field 10 extra yards longer, three downs instead of four, and played in much, much, much colder weather where body parts freeze... American football is wussy. [Razz]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reticulum:
We may not have more freedoms then anyone else now, but where do you think most of the European nations got their ideas for such freedoms in the first place?

France, 1789! [Razz]
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Madame Guillotine, she slices, she dices, she even frappes!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering most of the founding fathers used European philosophers in their reasonings for the inherent freedom of man, I'd say Reticulum is actually arguing against himself.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rake
Member # 9195

- posted      Profile for Rake   Email Rake         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, France got the ideas in the revolution from the US, but the US "decleration of independence" is taken almost directly from the english philosopher John Locke..or so I'm told.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rake
Member # 9195

- posted      Profile for Rake   Email Rake         Edit/Delete Post 
And in europe the ideas were spread from france
Posts: 25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
Smoking in public... The fact that your country still allows that is nothing to brag about. [Grumble]

It's not allowed to smoke in public buildings such as schools, universities, and agencies. But it's still a restaurant owner's and a smoker's decision if he wants to smoke in rooms where non- smokers are forced to inhale the poisonoues smoke, too. Most smokers are ashamed to be smokers, to be addicted. But it's hard to quit, I can tell, although I have a bad conscience all the time. Especially because there are still people who think that it's just a bad habit.

I only feel riled about this government hypocrisy. As if one gave his child candies and chocolat all the time because that's cheaper than decent meals and then complains about the child's weight.
In contrast to alcoholic drinks, cigarettes are even available for children. There are cigarette machines on every corner! I would like the government to forbid THOSE first.
But they profit from smokers because of the high taxes on tabac.
Here in Germany smokers joke, that we're the most patriotic part of the population, for the country would break down without our money. [Wink]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xaposert:
Isn't nearly everyone armed in Switzerland?

Ooh! I'm real scared of those little folding knives with the corkscrew and nail file.

Stand back Imperialist Dogs! Or we'll file your nails!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

Speaking of 'reputations':

French people are snobby strike- loving, wine- drinking frogeaters.

Canadians are big, bearded lumberjacks.

English people don't know how to cook, have bad teeth and like to queue.

Australians are either 'Crocodile Dundee's or sheperds.

Italians are spaghetti- eating casanovas or 'Mammas'.

Mexicans are the ones who live in Los Angeles.

Suisse people all have a clock implanted and are so neutral, that even sour rain turns to drinking water when it hits the ground.

Germans are serious, bureaucratic people who drink beer, eat Sauerkraut and sausages and clean up all the time.

Americans are superficial and self- rightuous and are less offended by bloody corpes than by nipples.

Russians live from wodka, prostituition and corruption.

ETC.

[Big Grin]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Sour rain?

Isn't that a Prince song?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Um, you're forgetting that Germans are stubborn, pigheaded, and obstinate. [Razz]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
And they travel in buses.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reticulum:
This is something that has always purplexed me to the umpth degree. I can never understand why we Americans are always viewed as fat, self loving, arrogant jerks who think the rest of the world sucks. We aren't the only ones who love our nation and think it is great.

Here is my point. The rest of the world seems to think that we think they are bad. I am quite sure that any nation thinks theirs is the best. Be there any nation in the world that doesn't think theirs is the best? Doesn't every nation believe that they are 1 par above all of the other? We are represented as the ones who think we are the best.

My Answer: In all seriousness, I would actually have to say that many a nation are jelous of what we have achieved through history, and the freedoms that we have now.

Any thoughts? And please, please, please, do not say that the only reason I have given these explanations is becaise I am an arrogant American, who thinks that the rest of the world is inferior. I have feeling some will say that.

It's exactly jealousy. Or to be more precise, envy. People who haven't achieved what we've achieved can either look at themselves and ask the difficult question of why, or they can just dislike us. There's no question which one is easier to do.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Irami Osei-Frimpong:
quote:
This childish reaction constituted a refusal to engage the terrorists on the terms of their own criticism; this is to say that we failed to recognize the ideological content of their radical politics, and instead, appealed to "universal" moral standards from which we could denounce them for their illegitimate use of force, morally degeneracy, and anti-democratic ideology.

That's right. One does not "engage" monsters on their terms. To call that "childish" is bizarre and twisted.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
I kind of wonder if maybe the pride in Europe is similar to the pride that people from Asia take in being Vietnamese or Chinese. I really don't know because I'm too much of a combination of things to really pick out one part of my ancestry to take pride in, aside from being Protestant.

Most Europeans are pride of their countries. Especially French, Italian, Spanish and Suisse, I think. 95% of the German who say that they are "proud to be German" are either idiotic Neo-Nazis or they are considered to be ignorant. You know, in Europe, 50years are not a long time. It might probably take at least another two or three generations until there is a kind of national pride without the shadow of WWII. [Frown]
By now, we help ourselves with regional pride. I am not proud to be German, but I'm proud of my Hessian origins. [Smile] If someone in the U.S. asked me, where I come from, the first thing I said would probably be: I come from Europe.

[ March 24, 2006, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Pinky ]

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by imogen:
quote:
We may not have more freedoms then anyone else now, but where do you think most of the European nations got their ideas for such freedoms in the first place?
Can you honestly not see how arrogant this is?
If you think it's not true, maybe explain why. I don't see it as arrogant at all. I see it as fairly accurate.

To reiterate: saying that a statement is arrogant is not a disproof of the statement. Not even a little bit.

Pinky
Member # 9161

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Um, you're forgetting that Germans are stubborn, pigheaded, and obstinate. [Razz]

I just didn't want to show off. [Big Grin]

Edit: I forgot to mention "boring", too.

Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
It's exactly jealousy. Or to be more precise, envy. People who haven't achieved what we've achieved can either look at themselves and ask the difficult question of why, or they can just dislike us. There's no question which one is easier to do.

I think this *may* be an example of why some people think the way they do about Americans.

There's this notion that America has achieved a significant amount more than any other free nation in the world. The rest of the free world doesn't really agree with this idea.

Unless we're talking about military size, I suppose.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeoJ
Member # 9272

- posted      Profile for LeoJ   Email LeoJ         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends who you are dealing with, Americans are nice, i lived in NJ for a while and well even thou it was mostly hispanic or african american, (jersey city), most of the white people i delt with were pretty nice, never bragged about that fact. Well my history teacher did but you can see off the bat that he was american like the great president the US currently has.

Who made that country what it is? People who left and that didnt like the way their own country used to run things, so they tought of better ways to govern themselves, had their civil war, and eventually kept expanding and kicked native americans and mexicans out. And now they try to force people to be "united" and "free" as they are.

Well enough with America, a lot of people think their country is the best, like my father, he thinks his country Ecuador is the best, and well if it had an actual goverment, it would be great, but it hasnt evolved yet into a fully democratic civilized country.

Ive lived in 4 different countries and im only 18, and i dont plan to stay where i currently am.

What ive seen that is sad is the asskissing that Italy does to the US.

Most of Europe hate America because of what America has done to the world. But its not every citizen´s fault of what America has done.

People have opinion let them be heard.

My opinion i like every American except Bush.

Posts: 56 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeoJ
Member # 9272

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by imogen:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you honestly not see how arrogant this is?

If you think it's not true, maybe explain why. I don't see it as arrogant at all. I see it as fairly accurate.

To reiterate: saying that a statement is arrogant is not a disproof of the statement. Not even a little bit.

The way its said, is what makes it very arrogant.
Posts: 56 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, LeoJ! Welcome to Hatrack!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeoJ
Member # 9272

thank you
Pinky
Member # 9161

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:

Envy? Why? That would mean, we would judge all our doings in comparison to the U.S.A. (and would decide that we do worse)!
Envy is not the only reason to dislike the U.S.A. Maybe it used to be, but you're President is Mephisto! (His grin gives me the shivers. Bah.)

I would rather say there's a lot of fear and anger underneath. We're almost powerless to stop the U.S. government, even when its 'projects' affect us. The power of the U.S. Army, the will to use it AND the will to "forget" or ignore the parts of history one can't seriously be proud of, can be pretty frightening. Not to mention that your government signed but doesn't ratify the Kyoto- Protocol. That's frightening, too.

Don't you think?

Pinky
Member # 9161

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
And they travel in buses.

Only the old ones... wait... Okay, when I think about it, we ARE nation of seniors, so most of us travel in busses... accepted. [Wink]
LeoJ
Member # 9272

I like Pinky´s comments, from the funny to the serious one.

Way to go Pinky

Read the Straight rights update

Pinky
Member # 9161

@LeoJ: Good speech! [Smile] (and Thank you!)
LeoJ
Member # 9272

Thanks thanks. What makes it good is the boredom of my job.
Pinky
Member # 9161

Now I HAVE to ask what you do!
LeoJ
Member # 9272

Im some sort of secretary for the Institute of Accountants in some city of Spain.
Pinky
Member # 9161

Aha... you don't wanna be found? [Wink]
LeoJ
Member # 9272

If i did, i would tell u my exact location cause there is only 1 institute of accountants in this city, in fact theres less than 10 in this country, i pretty much told u were i was, damn u lol.
Pinky
Member # 9161

quote:
Originally posted by LeoJ:
Thanks thanks. What makes it good is the boredom of my job.

No, wait... do you want to insult me!? [Eek!]
LeoJ
Member # 9272

Hey P we should start our own topic, what do you think will be controvertial and have many replies, and have people arguing?
LeoJ
Member # 9272

insult u how?
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.