FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Culinary Achievements (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Culinary Achievements
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I've also been making garden beef burgers, that's ground beef mixed with an egg and spices, then cooked like normal burgers. Of course then you need the full bun outfit, cheese, lettuce, the works (though I'm not a huge fan of the tomato, to each their own).

Spice include but are not limited to (for me): chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, salt, pepper, ginger powder...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Ganache is supposed to have milk though...

Since I'm not a big fan of dark chocolate when I make those chocolate icings I basically make fudge and then poor it over the cake while it's still liquidy. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what ganache is. I'm a naive cookist.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Mexico taught me not to pollute chocolate with dairy products
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Not to be contrary, but Mexico taught you wrong.

Hobbes [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
He's right, you know.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Mexico is never wrong.

Could the land of Benito Juarez and Telemundo be wrong?

Annie
Member # 295

You go eat in Oaxaca for a couple weeks and then report back and we'll see who's wrong.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Apparently. If it makes you feel better, it's the French who teach the melding of milk and chocolate to create a virtual... ummm, classy French word for orgy of tastes.

Hobbes [Smile]

Annie
Member # 295

Sorry, but this is where food snob Annie puts her foot down.
Annie
Member # 295

I didn't say the French were never wrong, I said the Mexicans were never wrong.
Hobbes
Member # 433

I'll make you some lava baby cakes when you come visit and then you can tell me I shouldn't have added dairy to chocolate. [Kiss]

One of the two has to be wrong.

Hobbes [Smile]

Annie
Member # 295

When one of the two of us has to be wrong, Hobbes darling, I'm afraid it's usually you.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Well I didn't say us, I was reffering to France and Mexico.

Hobbes [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sorry, but this is where food snob Annie puts her foot down.
Just don't put it in the pailful of ganache.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Oh! That does sound like my stuff!

Only I do'nt sell it in 5 gallon buckets

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
And why not? You could sell combos: a t-shirt, a print of one of your works, and a bucket of ganache, "for the complete Annie experience".

I bet Hobbes would buy it. [Razz]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Hmmmm.... not a bad idea.

I could call it "Instant Annie."

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
ganache should have cream, not milk. sillies.

My mom made my sister's wedding cake with white chocolate ganache poured over the top. She tested it out several times in Arkansas to great succes, but when she did her final one in California (where the wedding was held) she forgot to take into account the difference in humidity. The Arkansas cake was silky smooth, but the California cake was rough and unpleasant looking. My mom, the intrepid woman she was, took a hairdryer and a butterknife and sculpted the cake until it had the look of stucco. It was brilliant.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
I just mixed up a new rub and prepped some ribs for tomorrow. I'll be making a new sauce and am anxious to try it out.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Yum! Good luck with it, new rubs and sauces are always so much fun!

Speaking of which, my Mom and I went out to replace our old, 20 cent girl with a full blown apparatus! 600 square inches of grilling space and 42,000 BTUs. We had some people over and I made hamburgers, which was good (threw on spices, that's when you feel like a cook!) Then tonight, for a after dinner thing (desert really, only it was dinner food) I made a garden burger on the grill. Egg and beef plus an array of spices. I sealed in in foil and cooked it for a solid 12 minutes. The foil kept the juices in and I used the extra heat to toast the buns which I topped with some mayo and a touch of freshly ground, black pepper. That's good eats!

Hobbes [Smile]

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually mix an egg with my mince to make burger patties...

Or do you mean an egg served separately on top?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faire
Member # 8065

- posted      Profile for Faire   Email Faire         Edit/Delete Post 
For my school formal, I had some friends over before for dinner and I made them Goats Cheese and Walnut souffle, Bosc Pear and Pinot Grigio Granita, 5 Mushroom Canneloni with Gruyere and Fennel, and a Chocolate Marquee for desert.

It was delicious, if I do say so myself.

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
The ribs and sauce turned out very well! I'm getting better!
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.