FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Culinary Achievements (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Culinary Achievements
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I thought about coriander and then though better. I ended up putting on pepper, salt, garlic and oregano, and then putting some sesame seeds on the frying pan (I don't have a grill [Frown] ). Pretty tasty. [Smile] It's a great way to welcome in that spring weather. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I second cumin and coriander. Mmmmm.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
And my culinary achievment: last night I made use-up-what's-in-the-pantry-and-fridge lasagna.

We had no tomatoes of any kind - tinned, fresh, paste whatever.

So I gently cooked a finely diced onion and about 6 cloves of garlic until they were all soft and golden, then added beef mince and a diced red pepper. Turned up the heat, added crushed coriander seeds, ground fennel, ground cumin and firestorm*. Cooked until it was all sizzling and happy.

Then I made a standard bechemal, but added some grated pecorino cheese at the end. It turned out as one of my best bechemals - not to thick, not too liquidy,

Then I layered the bechemal, pasta sheets, mince mixture, diced basil and grated mozarella until we had a lasagna.

It turned out really well - more subtly flavoured than a tomato-based lasgna, and quite enjoyable for the subtlety. The spice flavours came through nicely, and the basil just freshened everything up.

And there's leftovers for lunch. [Smile]

* A spice mixture in a grinder made from black peppercorns, white peppercorns, citrus zest, mace, cloves, poppy seeds and nigella seeds.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, hamburgers, if the meat is excellent, I just want to be hamburger, salt, and pepper. I like cheeseburgers plain. I like to taste the meat.

On steak these days, I like butter. (I have not put it on due to the watching of weight) This is actually quite a culinary trend at the moment, with all kinds of flavored butters. Being raised on country cooking, just plain old butter, with half a shaker-full of salt, is heaven to me.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't gotten a chance to scan the pictures of the cake I made... however, this is the website of the company I do work for (however, the cake I was talking about was not through them)

If you go to "wedding cakes" I did the one labled The Dr. Seuss and The Simply Romance (you have to click on more to get to simply romance) [Smile]

*tries to directly link the cakes*

[ March 30, 2005, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Jaiden ]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

That is awesome!
I used to make creative birthday cakes for the kids. Then I realized that they really preferred the supermarket ones. I am not a lover of baking.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually never made a "professional" cake for family [Blushing]

Closest would be "practice" cakes. My little brother and sister make all the birthday cakes for the parents and my stepmom loves making birthday cakes for everybody else. I would never dream on intruding in on them.

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are awesome, Jaiden! [Hat]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Family Fun has great, easy cakes to make for kids.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Jaiden, those are lovely! As you can see, I am nowhere near your level, but I sure do enjoy it. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Super-cool, Jaiden [Smile]

I finally found a brand of yogurt that is just milk and culture, no additives, so it drains properly to make lebaneh, which means that yesterday and today I breakfasted in proper Arab style: lebaneh (the drained yogurt), zeit (olive oil, in this case the best olive oil I've ever tasted, which came all the way from the West Bank), and za'atar (thyme and some other things), all eaten off a plate with Arabic bread (flatbread).

And now all is right with the world. I am content.

[Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

That soinds really good, Twinky! I have drained yogurt before and added herbs to make a fat free cream cheesy spread. We have Stonyfield Farms yogurt around here, do you?
twinky
Member # 693

No, I don't think we do. The brand I bought, on my mother's advice, was Astro. It works pretty well. [Smile]

Edit: Normal yogurt is "leban" is Arabic, while this drained yogurt is "lebaneh." Also, I bought lentils with an eye toward making mujaddarah (lentils, rice, and onions, served with leban), but turns out I bought the wrong kind of lentils, so now I guess I have to learn how to make lentil soup. I've never made soup before.

[ March 31, 2005, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend once made me the most amazing lebaneh and black pepper icecream.

She served it as a palate cleanser during a dinner party (yeah, she liked doing things like that). But this icecream - *oh*. Creamy and peppery and tart and just so good.

I should really hunt down the recipe. Astro yoghurt, huh?

How did you strain it - muslin?

[ March 31, 2005, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

A coffee filter. [Smile]

And tonight at the grocery store I finally tracked down the tahini, so I can make hummus! Plus I nabbed a few more spices and a bottle of lemon juice (also needed for hummus).

rivka
Member # 4859

Israelis call it leben. It gets imported here (actually, so do a lot of the brands from various Arab countries).

Yum! (especially chocolate leben, which I know is not exactly authentic, but very good)

I'm not a big fan of za'atar, though. [Razz] Not sure why -- someone once told me all the spices in it, and I think I like them all. Just not the combination. [Dont Know]

im, I don't know what twinky used, but I've used coffee filters to drain yogurt in the past. (I have a great cheesecake recipe that uses thoroughly-drained yogurt as a main ingredient.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

jinx! on the coffee filter.

And homemade hummus is goooood. I used to think I didn't like hummus much. Then I had homemade. *drools*

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I love baba ganoush, too, but I love it warm.
twinky
Member # 693

Who buys hummus from stores? [Angst]
Hobbes
Member # 433

I just made a delicious quiche with hot peppers in it. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Twinky, when Trader Joe's is available, I will buy their roasted garlic hummus because I'm lazy and it comes in an easily-transportable pre-sealed package.

I grew up in an area with a huge Armenian-American population, and so store-bought, authentic lebaneh was readily available; not that I like it. *hates yogurt*

*ducks to avoid flying cooking utensils*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
*just made some delicious roasted-garlic hummus

twinky, you've sparked a craving in me for plain yogurt. I love the thick, sour creaminess. We'll be making our own again soon, I can tell -- and when I make my own, I always strain it.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I made mujadarra! [Big Grin]

The onions were slightly burnt, but other than that it worked out very well. I found the right kind of lentils when I was visiting my friends in Burlington this weekend, so I bought a huge bagful and brought them home with me for cooking purposes. Mujadarra is basically lentils, rice, and sautéed onions, with a bit of salt, pepper, cumin, and allspice. Serve with leban (not lebaneh).

I'm pretty proud of myself. I never had the inclination, or time, really, to cook through my university career, so I just ate as efficiently as possible. Now I have a proper kitchen and kitchen supplies, so I can learn to make all of the things I miss from home. [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

That sounds great twinky! [Big Grin]

I just made a very tasty beef vindaloo. One of the toughest parts was the shopping for it! I ended up hanging eggs, milk, a bag of potatoes and various other ingredients all on the front of my bike!

Hobbes [Smile]

twinky
Member # 693

Part of the reason I don't have a car is that not having one makes me feel more like a student. [Big Grin]

Of course, I don't have a bike either...

I need to go grocery shopping pretty badly, though, I've run out of spinach and greens for salads, among other things. But I also need to do laundry (though not desperately, I have a few days of unmentionables left). Decisions, decisions...

One of these days I need to get on that lentil soup thing, too. That other bag of lentils I bought isn't going anywhere.

Hobbes, you're a mighty adventurous cook for someone still in university. What the heck kind of engineering are you studying where you have that kind of time, anyway? [Wink]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I am going to try a green chili tonight or tomorrow. A friend sent me some when I was sick, and it was the best thing ever. it has also inspired me to get back into the gardening world, because good chile peppers are so hard to find, and so very fun to grow.

I will also attempt beer cheese soup tonight.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It's really not hard to arrange your schedule so you have time to cook, if you make it a priority.

And I walk to the store quite often, but I usually end up with all the groceries either in the bottom of the stroller, or hanging on my arm as I push the stroller. [Wink]

twinky
Member # 693

Chili! I need to learn to make (very, VERY mild) chili. *appends it to list*

quote:
It's really not hard to arrange your schedule so you have time to cook, if you make it a priority.
There's the rub. It went something like this:

friends > school > sleep > food

[Razz]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, ingredients for green chili and beer-cheese soup have been purchased. I went to Whole Foods Market for the first time since it was Bread and Circus, and felt like a kid in a candy shop. Holy Whole Foods, Batman!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I did it! I made the berr cheese soup. i have to modify a bunch of things for next time, but I have a good base recipe for trying to make it like Mister Ups'

Problem is, I decided to use Arrogant Bastard Ale, which is very strong. The recipe calls for only 6 oz, but it happens to be one of those really big, like liter, bottles. Which, of course, i had to polish off. So, no more posting for me! I would be PUI. Well, i am PUI. OK, off to eat more.

And there is another bottle...

No!!!!!!!!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Chili Verde was successful. I am exhausted.
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Way to be productive.

Want to hear how much I've atrophied? While Imogen was improvising tomatoless lasagna, I was dipping Peeps in chocolate.

Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I made a simple broccoli-chicken stir-fry for dinner last night and got the ultimate rave-review.

My husband, who NEVER takes his lunch to work, stole my leftovers from the fridge this morning. I had to eat a turkey sammich for lunch!

[Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I must change the chili verde success to a failure. Ahem. I left it on the stove to simmer and burned the tar out of it. I managed to salvage a cup. One cup for hours of labor. Rats.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Wanna share that recipe Boon? [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Just for you.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree with that, though I have more free time than a lot of people so maybe I should shut up. Rather, I have more flexible time than most.

Anyway. My culinary acheivement was messing with yet another potroast recipe that came out absolutely delicious last night. I love my crock pot because it allows me to cook very tasty food with very little actual effort. I put the cream of mushroom soup at the bottom, put a bed of cut up potatoes on top of that, seared the mostly frozen meat (sirloin tip roast) and laid it on top of the potatoes. Then sprinkled lipton dry onion soup over that. Cooked low for 10 hours.

Oh man...the meat was good, but the potatoes were incredible. Next time I'm going to put carrots in too.

Last week's acheivement was crock pot meatloaf that my family ate over half of in the first sitting. It was enormous, so I figured we were good for most of the week. It didn't last past Tuesday.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I treated myself well today, probably because I had a lot of homework I wanted to put off. Fresh, homemade pasta with steamed, sliced peppers. Sitting in my fridge is a marbled, cheesecake supreme. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Homemade pasta, Hobbes? I hope you have a pasta maker, or at the very least, a KitchenAid. I made home-made pasta by hand in foods class, and it's an experience I don't wish to repeat. It was delicious, but I was too exhausted to care.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and jeniwren, I love my Crockpots, too. [Smile]
Hobbes
Member # 433

Yes KitchenAid, no pasta maker. I don't think it's that tough, even to do it by hand isn't that bad. I've got a great glass cutting board, just roll the dough out on it and cut it up with a chef's knife. I've recently gotten it down so that I can make homemade pasta faster than store bought (I make the dough in less time than it takes the water to boil, and homemade pasta doesn't have to cook as long). [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hobbes, it's the hand-kneading and then running though a hand-roller ten gazillion times that kills you.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Is not. [Razz] [Wink]

Seriously though, I like using the dough hook on my Kitchen Aid, but sometimes I even skip that and knead it myself, and I always roll it myself. When you're making enough for one or two it doesn't get that bad.

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

I made lava baby cakes, that's a dark chocolate, cake-like exterior with a creamy, darker chocolate filling. Came out beautifully. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Do you have the pans for it, or what did you use?
Hobbes
Member # 433

Custard Cups.

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've thought of doing that, but never tried it! So, it worked, then? Cool! I'll do it for Jeff's next b-day. If I remember.

Or maybe Fathers' Day.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds fabulous.

I invented a new approach to birthday cakes. Who needs icing when you can use melted chocolate? [Evil]

(actually, I melt the chocolate and then whisk in some boiling water - makes it easy to pour, and then hardens to a soft creamy texture. And tastes darker.)

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Kind of like ganache?
rivka
Member # 4859

I was about to say, "Sounds sort of like ganache." [Big Grin] Great minds . . .
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.