FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Culinary Achievements (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Culinary Achievements
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Even without a crock pot, you can slow-cook meat in the oven in a casserole dish or even a saucepan as long as it doesn't have any plastic on it. This is far better than starving all day! *cranky glare*

I like to take a ziploc bag full of popcorn on days when I don't have much time to eat. It's not the healthiest thing you could have, but it is high in fiber and fills you up. [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
The other night I added diced apple to my spinach salad. I don't use dressing, I mix balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and sea salt instead. I wasn't sure how the apple would go with the vinegar but it turned out to be most agreeable [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that sounds lovely.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie's right. And Indian curries take very well to slow cooking over low heat. Just add the yogurt at the end, about 1/2 an hour to an hour before you want to eat, and make sure it's covered so the juices don't all evaporate.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
My salad dressing of choice is olive oil and ume plum vinegar. It's incredible on spinach, especially when paired with a little crumbled feta, unsalted sunflower seeds, and maybe a drop or two of sesame seed oil.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"I don't use dressing, I mix balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and sea salt instead."

Um, Twinkster, that is dressing.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer Ceasar salad to all others. Brianna's Asiago Ceasar is without peer.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
My gorgeous, gorgeous husband picked me up from work yesterday and brought me home to a clean house (which it was not when I left it!), fresh oysters with a lime, sesame, ginger, chilli and soy dressing, champagne, char sui pork chops with hoisin noodles and pak choy.

[Big Grin]

It was delicous and he is so in my good books.

(It was coincidentally our 2 month anniversary - neither of us remembered until about halfway through the evening. A happy coincidence.)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

How sweet! My husband cleaned while I was in Atlanta, and had dinner in the crockpot when we got home. [Smile]

I made a very interesting egg-drop chili tonight. Am considering posting the recipe so as not to lose it, but I used canned chili beans, so I feel like it's cheating...

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Please post it, KQ. Pleeeease?
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
My latest achievement isn't what I made, it's how efficient I made it. [Smile] I made my Puffs, and during the waiting periods not only did I clean all of the dishes associated with it, I cleaned all of the dishes associated with preparing an Indian curry, which I made entirely during puff preparation, without any time penalties when it came to finishing the puffs. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
In other words, you're learning how to use time wisely and efficiently when in the kitchen. Good skill to have. [Hail]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sorry to use this thread in such a way, but I have to discuss a culinary anti-acheivement.

Because I am on Weight Watcher's Core plan, and can eat pretty much anything as long as it is fat free milk product, and whole grain, I decided to make one of my most beloved of meals: baked ziti. I made it wiht whole wheat ziti, fat free ricotta, and fat free mozzarella. It was the nastiest thing I have ever made since vegetarian mushroom barley soup.

Please take note: Some things are not meant to be fat free. Cheese is one of those things.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
vegetarian mushroom barley soup.
My father makes a wonderful vegetarian mushroom barley soup. It's not vegan, as he uses a bit of butter to flavor his oil, but it's heavenly, and I'll tell you the secret: home-made veggie stock. [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and okay, I'll post the recipe, I suppose. It's a bit of a cheat, but whatever.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It's added.

[ March 26, 2005, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You linked the edit screen. And incidentally pointed out a security flaw in the recipe system. Can you change the link to this?

http://www.princeclan.org/index.php?option=com_pccookbook&page=viewrecipe&user_id=67&recipe_id=102

Thanks,

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I'd call that a security flaw, all right. [ROFL]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's right there on my to-do list.

I just didn't do it.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Fixed. I've got to get to that security audit at somepoint.
twinky
Member # 693

Elizabeth, I meant I don't use pre-made dressings. [Smile] (But when you have the kind of olive oil I have, I don't think anyone can blame me. Just opening the bottle and smelling it literally gives me shivers.)

The other night I used my oven for the first time: I cooked pork chops. Grilled them with some basil, and served them on a bed of spinach (I like spinach). Worked out fairly well, I was pleased. [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Twinky, I really wish you hadn't given me such a public dressing-down!
twinky
Member # 693

[ROFL]
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm.

Not terribly original, but I've been doing an elbow noodle, spaghetti sauce and ground beef with spices.

Cooked, mixed together and then dropped in a pie pan with a cheese topping, then baked in the oven until the cheese is melted.

Cheap, fast and pretty tasty. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Trevor, my grandmother's secret ingredient for that basic dish is v-8 juice. try a little with the tomato sauce.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Hmm...I use Kroger spaghetti sauce as a means of cheap, pre-mixed flavors and whatnot.

I'll have to try tomato sauce and V-8.

Of course, I use cayenne powder and crushed chili peppers, so taste is usually irrelevant at this point. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, if you look at my grandma's recipe on Dag's site, you can use stewed tomatoes, too. Just try different stuff. heaven knows she does. it turns out a little different every time.
twinky
Member # 693

I am fast becoming a V8 addict.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

It has tons of sodium. I know this because I have tried th sodium free version. Ew!
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Hey Dag:
If you want help in taking care of the site, I'll volunteer. If theres something you want done and don't have time, I'd be more than happy to help.

I may take you up on that, but unless there's another security issue, it will have to wait for the summer. At this point I'm not sure what to do next.

Unless you want to run a security audit - that could be useful now. If you want to, register and let me know the username. I'll give you add/edit rights. Then you can try to enter comments or recipes while your not logged in.

Maybe I need to start asking people what features would be useful. I've been thinking of a "meal" feature, which would basically tag multiple recipes as part of a meal and allow viewing/downloading them all at once.

Another feature I've thought of is a tagging feature, kind of like a shopping cart. People can click to add recipes then get a single printable version at the end.

Anything else people think would be useful?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That would be neat. You could, for instance, print out enough for a whole Indian meal!

I'm still trying to make myself post my secret hot chocolate recipe. I make incredible hot chocolate. Really. At my dad's Christmas party, I made one batch and people who had declined heard the others raving about it, and we had to send Jeff out for more milk so I could make more. But I don't share my recipe and technique. The only person I've given it to is my step-sister, so far. I keep telling myself I should record it for posterity and share it with fellow Jatraqueros, but I can't seem to bring myself to...

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I have never understood the idea that recipes should be kept secret. It baffles me. What are people afraid of, exactly?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Most recipes I love to share. But this one, it's like my baby. I worked on it from the time I was 13 until I was 19 before I finally perfected the proportions and technique. It's something special, that I do intend to pass along to my kids, but everyone who tastes my chocolate says it's the best they've ever had, perfect. Not too sweet, not too bitter, with a special richness and wonderful depth. (Yes, those are quotes.) I guess I want to stay the special maker of the hot cocoa that my friends (and the family friends, and everyone in the family) says is the best in the world. [Smile]
TMedina
Member # 6649

Unlike your children, you don't have to share your recipe with the world.

So share it in your own good time if you feel comfortable doing it - you can't make people feel good if you're not comfortable with the notion to begin with.

As I'm not a hot chocolate drinker, I can say this with complete seriousness. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Edit: For clarity

[ March 27, 2005, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, Ketchupqueen, my feeling is that you can share the recipe all you want, but no one will ever make it the way you do. I guess I understand the baby analogy, but I just love to share things that work out.
Hobbes
Member # 433

For a potluck tonight I made what I've decided to call a "Yellowmint" cake and then frosted it with Hobbes's Creamy, Fudge Frosting. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ March 27, 2005, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Trevor, why don't you drink hot chocolate? I've converted many who say they aren't fans of it. But if it's a diet thing or something, I guess I can respect that.

And Elizabeth, I know, I usually love to share recipes. It's just something about this one, I don't know why I can't share it. [Dont Know]

[ March 27, 2005, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, KQ, there is ritual involved in cooking, and it is often so far deeper than just food. There are probably a lot of other things tht you do and think about when you are making that chocolate that are just too personal to share.

That is why some of my favorite novels ever are ones involving food. Not is a food-obsessed way, but in a ritualistic way. "Like Water for Chocolate," Chocolat," and "Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands." Those are the big three, but there are others as well.

I know that when I try to share my grandmother's recipes, the words on the page are so bland compared to the depth of memories that eating that food, and watching it prepared, I feel.

TMedina
Member # 6649

It's not a diet thing, it's a "never developed a taste for it and certainly not enough to drink it more often" kinda thing.

I'm weird that way. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

twinky
Member # 693

quote:
It has tons of sodium. I know this because I have tried th sodium free version. Ew!
That's fine, sodium ions play an essential role in the transmission of messages between neurons in the brain. I'm willing to file V8 under "brain lubricants." [Big Grin]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

It is also "free" on Weight Watchers.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

So, Trevor, if I ever make hot cocoa while you're there, you'll try it? [Smile]
TMedina
Member # 6649

*grins* I'm sure I could manage a cup or two. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You know, I was thinking of how good a basic pot pie filling would be inside a popover.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You make homemade pot pie with canned soup? [Eek!] Blasphemy! [Wink]

Here's the Easter bunny cake. [Big Grin] (I was rather proud of myself.)

Hobbes
Member # 433

So this isn't an achievement, but I'm going to be making hamburger tonight, and I'm curious, all I ever season mine with is oregano, salt and pepper. What do other people like to use?

Hobbes [Smile]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Garlic, worcestershire sauce, lipton onion soup mix seasoning salt, texas pete or tabasco.

(not all at once)

TMedina
Member # 6649

Depends on my mood - I typically use a mix of garlic, black pepper, cayenne and a splash of seaseme or olive oil to simmer.

-Trevor

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Seasoning salt, fresh garlic and onion, and sometimes other spices.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
A pinch or so each of freshly ground cumin and coriander. Yum. It adds a bit more depth and interest to the beefy meaty flavour.

Fresh parsley and basil if you have any.

Plenty of freshly cracked black pepper.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.