FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Culinary Achievements (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Culinary Achievements
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the process of making puffs which I will then fill with a mint-chocolate concoction I just whipped up. [Big Grin]

What are you planning?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
To visit you!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have decided to try making bread again. I have never been very successful. I love sourdough bread, and it is so hard to find around here. I have the time now, so I am going to try it.

(Whole wheat bread)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to make bread nearly every day. I never bought any baked goods. I made bread for sandwiches and toast, banana bread for breakfast, rolls to eat with soup or stew, buns for hamburgers and hot dogs. Of course, I ground my own wheat for all of the above. I also made cookies, brownies, cakes and sweet rolls regularly as well.

Now, my girls are lucky if I make rolls every other month or so. Partly because I don't have the time, and partly because we can't eat a whole batch of anything any more (there's only 3 of us now).

At one point, my children were so spoiled, they wouldn't eat room temperature rolls, and they still won't eat rolls that were baked the day before. I always try to send any leftovers home with guests.

I'd really like to make either cream cheese and crab enchiladas, or black bean and tofu enchiladas, but my girls won't eat those. So I'll either make a vegetable quiche or some spaghetti for dinner (which won't be for another 5-6 hours, but it's not a bad idea to be thinking about it now I suppose).

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, I'd like to be able to eat. *drool*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
To visit you!
You're always welcome in my home Rivka. [Smile] This is especially true when it's my home and Annie's home (our home [Smile] ).

Liz and Maui Babe, I love fresh bread! That sounds really great, it's a shame you don't get to do it much any more though MB. [Frown] Ohh, and my recent discovery on quiches is that adding in lots of freshly grated parmesean is a huge bonus for taste and texture (as opposed to most other cheeses). Just my two cents on quiche. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ March 10, 2005, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

By the way, my puffs turned out beautifully. [Big Grin] I had a couple and that constituted my dinner, the rest were thrown on the mercy of my roommates and they ate most of them.

Hobbes [Smile]

JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Today, I did something daring and incredible!

Instead of just heating up the leftovers in the fridge, I...*gasp*...added cheese first!

*bursting with pride*

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very impressed, Hobbes darling, but.... dessert for dinner?!

I hope you don't mind if I hang a giant painting of the food pyramid in our kitchen.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I made Pad Thai last night. It was sooooo freakin easy. It made me feel all proud and stuff.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

. . . and had the added benefit of making your puking wife even more sick. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Nathan, you are close enough to deliver the leftovers here, sirrah.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
A visit from the fire department, most likely.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
I made myself a burrito for dinner tonight. And ate it all.

But I didn't eat lunch today. Or breakfast. And my parents noticed. So I am on Strict Food Surveillence.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished the flowers for the wedding cake I've been working on (for this Saturday). 300 bloody daisies, 600 forget-me-nots and 100 roses. Now I have to bake the cake and put on the fondant and place all those flowers on with royal icing [Grumble]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Eek!] That's ONE THOUSAND flowers!

WOW!

Jaiden
Member # 2099

It's going to be a 5 tiered wedding cake [Smile]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And utterly COVERED in flowers! [Big Grin]

Can we see a picture when you're done?

Jaiden
Member # 2099

Of course I will [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing terribly new here, but I made homemade tomato sauce again, and I have to reiterate how really, really good it is with beef stock in it.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Last thing I baked was a pizza, but I was out of All-purpose flour so I ended up using bread flour. It made the crust super-duper soft even with the whole wheat flour and cornmeal I usually add to it. I made it exactly how I like it, with very little tomato sauce, lots of mozza, as many pepperoni as I can arrange on it, and parmesean on top after it had finished baking. MMmmmm...tasty. [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
We had spaghetti with mushrooms with a caesar salad and garlic bread. It was tasty, but not cream cheese and crab enchiladas.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Last Wednesday I made dinner for my 7 member family. We had a couple of very nice Indian curries, Naan, rice, vegetables. And then for desert I made a non-Indian dish, marble cake (from scratch) topped with a creamy, fudge frosting. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I made mixed a Carnation instant breakfast packet with milk. [Smile] And then had a Lean Budget Gourmet for breakfast.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we had the missionaries over. I made rice, masoor dal, Imogen's Jeera Chicken from the Jatraquero recipe site, Hobbes' naan (the same-- except I topped with garlic before frying), and Navratan Korma. (We just had Girl Scout cookies and milk for dessert, though.)

For Easter dinner next week, I will be baking an Easter bunny cake. You know, a cake that looks like a bunny. I'll post pics if it turns out adorable. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

And when these culinary achievments are confirmed, and the belly well-satisfied, will these be making their way into the recipe site?

Pretty please?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
My latest culinary achievement was paying four dollars and forty-four cents for a salad with grilled chicken and mango. And then I had a piece of a grilled breakstick.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I made Turkish Delight on Saturday. It's just good enough to be good, and just weird enough that the kids don't eat it all in one sitting. [Smile]

I put it on the Jatraquero Recipe site, but I think I may adjust the quantity of rosewater. They turned out very strongly rosy.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I saw that Annie, and I intend to try it at some point. It looks very good.

Like you, my only exposure to it was in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag: haven't made up any new dishes in a while, excepting the famous omlette I made Olivetta eat before she went nuts. (That seems to be my role fairly often in stressful situations; I made everyone eat Snickers on my sister's wedding day because no one had eaten anything and they were all grumpy.) Anyway, if I come up with something good, or find a new favorite recipe, you can be sure I'll post it. I use that site so much, I can barely remember life without it. It's great. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Turkish Delight also figured in Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott. I used to get it at the local middle eastern grocery store as a child.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I remember finding Turkish Delight as a kid, after reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. EW!!!(sorry, Annie)
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
last night I made a spinach - mushroom risotto and grilled lamb chops with a home-made mint sauce.

Two nights ago...I made beef stew with homemade bread (anadama bread - wheat/white bread mix with polenta and molasses in it)

Tonight - asparagus and shrimp chowder.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kamui
Member # 7619

- posted      Profile for Kamui   Email Kamui         Edit/Delete Post 
Today I baked the Banquet T.V. Dinner instead of microwaving it. I'm not inpressed with the difference in quality/time spent cooking ratio...
Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

S'OK, Liz. It all depends which flavor you make it.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, Annie is really becoming a good influence on you! You guys should become our next-door neighbors when you get married and invite us over for dinner a lot. [Wink]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I made and ate quinoa for the first time tonight, and loved it!
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I made chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Mmm... quinoa is great!

And I'm all for living next door to Jon Boy and Ruth [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Yah, fine, but we're not moving to Utah. [Wink]

I made my puffs again for my brunch. Mmm, mmm!

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Yah, fine, but we're not moving to Utah.
That shows good judgement. [Razz]
Hobbes
Member # 433

So today I have to skip lunch do to the nature of my schedual. I'll get back home at about 5 but have to leave again at 6. This will be cutting it close for having a dinner of almost any kind, so I'm thinking, I'll start chicken marinating then in an Indian curry dish, and see if I can make it to 10:00 with no food (which would be about when I could eat it). I'm a little nervous since I have about 10 miles or so of biking in between meals, and about 12 hours. [Angst] Hmmmm, but food is so good when prepared properly!

Hobbes [Smile]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever thought about packing a snack? Maybe a handfull of nuts, or some raisins or something?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hobbes, are you telling me you don't have a Crockpot or other slow cooker? [Eek!]
Hobbes
Member # 433

No KQ, I don't, I don't have room or money for that. [Frown]

Noemon, yah I've thought about it, I always seem to not though ... I like raisins. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

How often does this kind of thing happen? 'Cause we have 2, we usually don't use the small one, and I'll send it to you as a loan until you go on your mission if you want. It's small enough to fit under a bed or something when not in use. [Smile]
Hobbes
Member # 433

My bed is on the floor. [Razz] Seriously though, I really appreciate the offer but I only have a month and a half, I don't think it would really be worth it. But I do really appreciate it!

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wow, you only have a month and a half? *looks at calendar* Time flies! And I know what to get you two for a wedding present! [Wink]
Hobbes
Member # 433

Ha ha! Yah well if Annie and I do write down a list of possible wedding presents (or register or whatever) we'll probably ask for predominatly cooking equipment, though Annie has a lot and I have a decent amount (I tried to get pretty good quality supplies of all the essentials). [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We registered at Target. It's great, you can find almost everything you need or want, you can register either online or by going around with a cool scanner they give you, people who live far can ship things directly to you through the website, and you don't feel guilty about asking people to spend a lot of money, because you can register for things in a good mix of price ranges and let people go in together on the expensive things you need, if they want to, or buy you several little things, or whatever. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.