FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Starcraft II just launched (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Starcraft II just launched
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
AARRHHH!!!!!!

I am playing the mission where you have to stay ahead of the wave of fire, fighting the protoss (on Hard mode, not sure if there's a particular difference). I keep getting to the very end, forgetting to incrementally save somewhere along the way, and then attacking before I'm ready. This is the first campaign map that really forces you to pay attention to all kinds of places at once (well, others do to some degree, but this one feels harder). So replaying it is keeping in a constant, heightened state of stress.

I've restarted this mission a ridonkulous number of times. Mostly from the midpoint auto-save, but the first several times I was screwing up the early game and not building enough Starports.

The solution to that level is to go ground with a heavy quantity of disposable marines/marauders/medics being backed up with siege tanks. Don't bother with air at all.

Ooze forward in a ball and 'tank push'

it's many many times easier, especially if you have stimpacks.

(as a bonus you can get the Siege Breakers just in time from the opening base's merc building)

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
a really cool avatar in the form of a perfect gif transcription of the Zealot portrait.

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/8545/aprotosszealot.gif

or, as tom calls them, space elves (i still don't get that)

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. Sorry for anyone who saw this post.

Anyway, this game can be frustrating when you're suddenly on a losing streak. I even lost to a cannon rush... I know how to stop them, but I didn't act fast enough and I was completely obliterated.

If there's a definition of cheap in this game, a Protoss cannon rush is it. The game lasted 3 minutes, and I have to admit I was furious by the end. When you're getting furious at a game, it's time to give it a break. But then, it's not the game, it's the players. Losing constantly makes me much angrier than it should... but it's embarrassing. I was finally nearly back to even on wins/loses, now I'm way back again.

[ August 25, 2010, 02:39 AM: Message edited by: 0Megabyte ]

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

See above.
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It's no cheaper than a zerg rush, IMO.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think either one is particularly cheap, nor the terran proxy tricks. I crushed a terran who tried a proxy barracks on me last night. I had to send my queen over to take out the SCV, but I took out the barracks before he was able to produce anything from it.

Contained him, expanded twice, and then rolled him up when I had a large enough pile of roaches.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The solution to that level is to go ground with a heavy quantity of disposable marines/marauders/medics being backed up with siege tanks. Don't bother with air at all.
Really? 'cuz even in the final area a large number of units aren't able to hit air at all.

Every time I've failed, I've understood exactly why I failed (or at least, I can see a way that if I had simply used the strategy I'm using WITHOUT screwing up, I'd have won). It's just that there's a lot of ways to screw up.

Granted, I've always been heavily biased in favor of air, I'm not sure why. Whenever I try the MMM ball that's supposed to be so good it just doesn't work out for me. I think I may simply not be getting enough units. Exactly how big does a MMM ball need to be to be effective?

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
AARRHHH!!!!!!

I am playing the mission where you have to stay ahead of the wave of fire, fighting the protoss (on Hard mode, not sure if there's a particular difference). I keep getting to the very end, forgetting to incrementally save somewhere along the way, and then attacking before I'm ready. This is the first campaign map that really forces you to pay attention to all kinds of places at once (well, others do to some degree, but this one feels harder). So replaying it is keeping in a constant, heightened state of stress.

I've restarted this mission a ridonkulous number of times. Mostly from the midpoint auto-save, but the first several times I was screwing up the early game and not building enough Starports.

A cheap way I found to win, I managed to move a factory and starport to the lower right corner of the map, made a small army, and once the wave of fire had killed almost every protoss unit and before it got to the building, I flew up and sniped the building.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The photon cannon inside your base really isn't too bad on most maps. Just close your gap as fast as possible and generally it's faster than a probe getting inside.

If that fails you should still see the probe enter and not leave, which means you need marines as fast as possible and they need to search out the black sections of your base until they find the probe or pylon.

If *that* fails, then it's time to invest build more marines and try to surgically kill the pylon. If THAT fails, it's time to push hard for a siege tank with the siege ability as fast as possible.

If that fails, you probably need to learn to build faster.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Yeah, to avoid a rush, you really need to scout both your enemy's base and your own base in the very early game. The 9th SCV/probe/drone is a good one to consider sending to scout the enemy base. You should also have something stationed at your ramp so you know if an enemy SCV/probe/drone comes in.

As zerg this isn't as big a problem for me, since I can just rally each successive overlord to a different area of my base, and usually cover most of it with the first two in 1v1. That's generally enough to tell me if they're trying a proxy or cannon rush strategy. I've actually never fallen to one, now that I think of it. I've lost to zergling and zealot rushes, though.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Cannon rush CAN be a big deal for terran but is usually the result of intel failure. SC2 requires an elegant combination of production efficiency, map awareness, and combat direction. Fall short on any of these three pillars, and it sets up a chain of predictable results against good players.

There's a terribly wordy video by a nerd who cannot for the life of himself stop talking but is nevertheless an incredibly useful SC2 101 I should find and post here.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

HERE IT IS.

disclaimer: this guy won't shut up and he keeps talking and talking until I want to break his arms and I hate him and good lord shut up shut up

BUT

If you've been having problems with SCII multiplayer and can't figure out how to get better, I guarantee if you ACTUALLY SIT THROUGH THE VIDEO and resist the urge to hurl your monitor through the window, and you actually watch the whole thing?

You WILL be a lot better at starcraft.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, first of all, where is it?

Second, if one just turned the sound off, would you be missing anything?

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
The trick with Protoss is to make sure you keep an eye on your ramp to see if a Probe sneaks in. If you're not sure, you really ought to send an SCV on a few quick clicks to scout your area-just shift right click around the periphery and then back to minerals-and if you see a probe, sic an SCV on it. Waiting for a marine might be too late.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Um, first of all, where is it?

urg, sorry. my hate of ubb classic continues.

refinding

Samprimary
Member # 8561

Ok here we go.

http://www.sc2-strategy.com/day9-back-to-basics-mental-checklist/

Yes, you do actually have to listen to it. ffffffffffff

twinky
Member # 693

Ahhh, Day9.
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been watching this guy in five barely manageable increments over the past five hours. It's brutal.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Ok... I won a battle by all rights I should have lost.

Incidentally, it was the first time I ever used bunkers. They saved so many of my men it wasn't even funny. Actually, wait, it was.

So, yeah. He was Protoss and attacked my Terran base very early on. I hadn't actually built any marines yet. He destroyed my barracks before I could do anything, and most of my scv's. But I moved my base to an area barricaded by rocks, and quickly used everything I had left to rebuild (I did have some money in my bank, luckily) and was able to get bunkers up and filled fast enough to stop him. He then kept attacking, but I was soon able to rebuild my power base, and he played very, very badly.

I'm certain he was toying with me. "Ha, he can't do anything! Wait... I'm not beating him..."

I finally built enough to get some medivacs full of marines, and attacked his base. He had a fleet of void rays, but I managed to destroy it. Clearly it was in its early stages. He gave up right there... I dunno if he was letting me win or not. Maybe not in the end.

Okay, after looking at the replay... he was definitely toying with me, at least at the beginning. He played one base, and figured, I think, that he had large enough forces to beat me when he attacked again. He was resting on his laurels while I worked desperately. He didn't even build a second base until I managed to myself!

Once again: I should not have won. Now, how do I upload replays?

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
As a terran you should definitely utilize bunkers very often. They are great for securing your expansion, and when you are prepared to push out against your opponent, you can salvage them for 100% of the original cost. In a sense they are free, and you really should abuse them as much as possible because of that.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

True. Very true. That's good advice, and I'll think about it. [Big Grin]

As it is, I tend to play one-base, at least as Terrans. I can usually get enough bio early-ish enough to crush the enemy. Especially since I usually get medivacs quickly so I have mobility.

But there are weaknesses to it. And I used to start with reapers alot, but I kept finding myself beaten back without doing enough damage. I think the map has a lot to do with when you choose that. I saw a guy do much better with reapers on one of those four player maps. I forget which one.

Another new strategy I learned for terrans was to move the base to a new location at the very beginning. That caught me off guard, too. It was a gold level player who did it. Great stuff.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no expert, but I think an early base move is basically a gamble that you'll get lucky against an inexperienced player. You have to cripple your early economy and build wasting all that time doing nothing but moving your base.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

True.

Wow, just finished a 2v2 game... my guy got taken out early, and the enemy tried a cannon rush on me. It failed, and I wiped out one of the enemy players. And then, I battled the other player for nearly an hour. I destroyed his bases so many times, and if I had pushed at his new main base (my dead ally's main base!) from the right angle, I might have won. Heck, at one point he had no bases, period. He just built so MANY cannons.

In the end, what killed me was a mistake. I attacked from south of his second to last base to avoid the cannons, and blew up the command center easily. But... this time instead of escaping I went forward, and my forces ended up being pretty much wiped out. If I'd just pulled out, moved around and did the same to his main base, he prolly would have gg'd. As it was, I made a fatal mistake and he took advantage of it.

I fought 1v2 and it was incredible. Even though I lost.

Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
I'm no expert, but I think an early base move is basically a gamble that you'll get lucky against an inexperienced player. You have to cripple your early economy and build wasting all that time doing nothing but moving your base.

QFT.

It might work, but not often, and not against anyone who gets a head start on you because of it.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

It's not a strategy I'll be using a lot. It's definitely one of those "first time you see it it defeats you. Next time you're prepared, and know what to do" strategies. Like the cannon rush. Or a baneling bust.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I dunno, Soap. I play Terran in a platinum league, and I can't recall the last time I saw bunkers used anything but offensively, such as walling in an enemy's choke point. Yes, you can salvage a bunker meaning its cost is effectively zero, but that begs the question: is 100 minerals now a fair trade for 100 minerals later? Later, I will ought to have a more robust economy meaning that in fact it's not an even trade. Is 100m now on a bunker worth more than a hellion which can scout very effectively, all over the map?

When I'm playing as and against Terran, the only static defenses I use are sensor towers and missile turrets. If you can keep a mobile, mixed army in the area, even as much as a region away, and you keep an eye on your minimap, you'll have time to arrive. That army can respond to threats anywhere, not just in a range of infantry+1. Also when I'm playing against Terrans, if I see bunkers, I just attack elsewhere. Resources spent on a bunker here mean one less missile turret there. A bunker guarding the minerals of an expansion leaves the command center vulnerable, while a bunker guarding the command center leaves the gatherers vulnerable. Also, the truth is, just one bunker really isn't much against anything but small attacks. It will put a dent in a real harassment, and won't even be a hiccup to a serious trying-to-end-game push, and then you'll have lost the bunker and the units in it.

Static defenses, even somewhat free ones, pin you down. I can see some circumstances when they might be valuable, though. If I'm attempting to be sneaky and build a base or perhaps some buildings outside my natural area, a bunker or at most two might be a good idea, but I would still need to have a very mobile likely air force able to retaliate in time to have a chance of saving the place, and to really have a shot at protection I would need a sensor tower-which would rather announce it was there.

quote:

But there are weaknesses to it. And I used to start with reapers alot, but I kept finding myself beaten back without doing enough damage. I think the map has a lot to do with when you choose that. I saw a guy do much better with reapers on one of those four player maps. I forget which one.

There are a few tricks to rushing with reapers. There is one absolute necessity, and that's getting them fast. You'll be sacrificing a mess of marines for base defense for a refinery and three or four reapers. The speed upgrade is also important, since it makes for easier micro and increases the chances you'll arrive before stalkers/queens/marauders. But the big one is an Orbital Command, with a comscan just before you arrive. I'm talking seconds at most, ideally hotkey for orbital command, press for comscan, press for the reaper group, and attack. When you go, make sure you go as close to the edges as possible if there is a decent defense, because the reaper rush only works if you smash or dent his economy. If you see nothing, though, go straight up.

quote:
Another new strategy I learned for terrans was to move the base to a new location at the very beginning. That caught me off guard, too. It was a gold level player who did it. Great stuff.
Yeah, that's an all-in strategy that, if your opponent scouts effectively, will be a guaranteed disaster.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

I will say this: Must they count battle.net's connection issues as losses/wins? I had this protracted battle with a gold rank Protoss player that, while I wasn't winning, I still had the potential to, even an hour into the game.

And it booted me. He gets the win, and I lose points. My internet was fine, nothign else was wrong, just battle.net. It's frustrating enough to end such a good game, but... for it to count as a loss, without any reservations? I may very well have lost in the end, but I wanted to lose fairly. And I was so itching to get him back for the beginning and his cannon rush.

I told him to fight like a man. He said to "cry to your mama." I was itching to attack his base with my (then) stronger force, and tell him something like "who's crying to their mama now?" But I was booted before I could make my move... sigh.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
0Megabyte: if they didn't, people would try to game the system by creating connection issues when games were going against them.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Although it sounds like now, people could rush and put themselves temporarily ahead, then cause connection issues and get a win.

Not saying that is what happened, but it sounds like it's possible.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Although it sounds like now, people could rush and put themselves temporarily ahead, then cause connection issues and get a win.
The thing is, you're supposed to rush, or prepare for a rush. It's a necessity of Starcraft 2: you must rush or prepare to be rushed. If you're not doing one or both of those things, you're just not doing it right.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Yeah, rushing is the name of the game. And I don't complain that he cannon-rushed me. (I've been learning to deal with it. And I know now how to stop it. I have to be fast, though!)

Still... connection issues make it quite unfair sometimes. I dunno how he could cause ME to have connection issues, though! He wasn't losing enough that I'd expect him to resort to it, anyway.

Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:

Not saying that is what happened, but it sounds like it's possible.

Nope...whoever disconnects loses, I believe.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Ah, that makes more sense. Then they at least have to haxor your MineSweeper and force you to quit with sneakyness. Much less likely.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Started playing as Random, heh, and boy do I have no idea what I'm doing! I expect I'll find my way back in gold at this rate.
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 700 points into Diamond league atm, and the Terrans that I play against generally use their bunkers to secure their expansions. Many Terrans like to pull SCVs from gas and use MULEs to quickly get enough minerals to make a fast expansion. The bunkers really just help them defend it easier, because they are sacrificing their army for a huge economic gamble. A terran at this point would probably have 8 marines top, and very little tech to speak of.

It's really very popular on Metalopolis because the natural expansion is the only entrance to the base and so there's no real way around those bunkers early game. Late game it doesn't even matter because by then the expansion has paid for itself.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Got out of a 3v3 game where one of my allies started getting hit with a photon cannon creep. He kept trying to train zealots and hit the cannons, and nearly quit, but the other guy and myself talked him out of it. I got siege tanks there while my other ally walked some zealots into the cannon builder's base and cleaned up.

It went back and forth a lot. I got hit with reapers, chased them off with two thors. My tanks and thors got killed stalling a mass of hydralisks and void rays trying to get at my natural exp. Mutalisks, hit me from the back, but I chased them off with three thors, and some turrets. Got hit with a mixed bio ball/thor raid, while I put up a stiff resistance, it blew through and wiped out my main. Fortunately I had two other command centers, one was a recent expansion, one was my second exp that you have to fly to to pick up, so I flew a CC to that location and it was unmolested the entire match.

I had to rebuild my factories, and armory, but I had a ridiculous surplus of resources, I just didn't have the time to churn out units with how much I got hit. Meantime, my allies pummeled their exp bases every time they hit me, and eventually they just couldn't get enough resources and quit.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I just tried it on a 1v1 map v Protoss, and it worked out nicely doing just that-protect an expansion. I think you may be right, and I'll have to include them more in the future. When I pop Terran that is.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Woo hoo. I just learned, the hard way, that battle cruisers can be taken down by missile turrets.

At least, they could be until the guy realized yamato cannons beat their range!

I still won. But it was a race to see who could blow up all remaining buildings first. And I won that battle easily, as my base was filled with missile turrets, and he had to go through them very, very slowly.

Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
I won a game recently because missile turrets can target the colossus.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:

I still won. But it was a race to see who could blow up all remaining buildings first. And I won that battle easily, as my base was filled with missile turrets, and he had to go through them very, very slowly.

Speaking of close endings, check out this game someone showed me. It's a bit long, but it's one of the funniest endings I've seen. Worth taking a few moments to watch, imo.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
That was linked a couple pages ago. Loved the ending.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Parkour:
I won a game recently because missile turrets can target the colossus.

They didn't research colossus range upgrades? Because that would have put them outside tower range.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
That was linked a couple pages ago. Loved the ending.

And twice at that, apparently. Still, I suppose it's a good enough video to be worth a third post.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Well, thanks for linking it again. I hadn't watched until now. That was fantastic.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.honors.ufl.edu/courses/coursesfall10.html

you get two guesses as to why this has been linked to in this thread.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I just want to clarify: after I go to Char, do I get to do any more research or upgrades, or is that it?
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

SPOILERS

Also, if I never go to Haven and complete the mission one way or another, does Hanson stick around in any meaningful way? (For that matter, if I fight the protoss, does she return at all later?)

MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS

quote:
I just want to clarify: after I go to Char, do I get to do any more research or upgrades, or is that it?
Once you go to Char you can still spend money and research you've already accumulated to get upgrades, but there are no further opportunities to earn income/research.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Yes, I saw. "21st century skills through Starcraft."

Lol.

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'm not sure which is worse. I mean, 21st Century Skills through Starcraft at least sounds like there's some potential to reach people who won't be reached otherwise, but Origami? As a 3000 level class? Seriously?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.