FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Netflix Streaming Recommendations (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Netflix Streaming Recommendations
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the pilot of Freaks and Geeks, especially the whole fight and then Lindsay dancing with that boy at the very end. The Freaks didn't make a ton of sense, though. And I hate it when parents are so two-dimensional.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
The parents started developing more as time when on. One of my problems with the show was that it felt like we were supposed to be on Lindsey's side against her parents in a "They mean well, but they just don't get it" way, but they were so obviously right. Every time they gave her freedom or trust, she abused it. Her friends were losers and she was following them into becoming a loser. Heck, the last scene of the show was her lying to them and ditching a prestigious and very limited opportunity to pursue things she used to like before she started hanging out with the Freaks to go follow the Grateful Dead around.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think we were ever supposed to be on Lindsay's side. Or at least, not against her parents. One of my favorite things about that series is that there weren't any real antagonists among the main or recurring characters. Even the people that started out being jerks end up getting a sympathetic portrayal, and the people who started out as heroes were given human flaws. Most of the conflict throughout the series isn't good-guy-vs-bad-guy. It's situations in which you can sympathize with people on all sides.

In the end that's what I loved about the show. The plots weren't necessarily complex or innovative. But I really grew attached to all the characters. There wasn't anyone on the show that I didn't want to see again. And there was no one that I wanted to see fail. The show managed to put me on everyone's side in a compelling way, which is sort of unique.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone a fan of Kevin Smith's stand-up/Q&A stuff? He has a new one up on netflix. It's very hilarious and also a little inspiring. Definitely worth a watch. Also, I can't repeat the name of it here, but it's called "Burn in #$%&".

Also, it seems that Mission Impossible 1 and 3 were both added recently. That's good news if you, like me, hated the second one, but enjoyed the others.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, there is a totally campy, totally awesome sci fi/horror B movie on Netflix instant, called Galaxy of Terror. A super cheesy but also pretty creative spiritual successor/borderline knockoff. I would say anyone who enjoyed Lifeforce, for example, will probably love this movie.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Mission Impossible 3 and 4 are seriously great.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what you guys were talking about, BSG was just as enjoyable right up to the end as it ever was (strongly decent).
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
I don't know what you guys were talking about, BSG was just as enjoyable right up to the end as it ever was (strongly decent).

There were parts I didn't care for, but I quite liked the show the entire way through. (I only watched it for my first time over the summer.)

Also, as was suggested in the previous page--Sgt. Frog.

I went to my brother's for Thanksgiving and the entire family watches the show. I was laughing very hard throughout it.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Out of curiosity (as there were parts I didn't care for as well) which parts?
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

(Spoilers, naturally)

The relationship of Dee and Apollo came out of nowhere. The storyline of finding and punishing collaborators dragged. Gaius and his cult got old pretty quick. The Pegasus story arc was predictable to a t, making it drag way too long for me. I know how that story is going to end, so why must I sit through three episodes for everyone else to pick up on the fact that the admiral was kinda out of touch?

But I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic fiction so I am willing to look over those parts for the greater whole. I also quite liked the ending, though from what I understand many people didn't.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Can't disagree with anything you said.
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
I've been on a Shakespeare kick lately, and someone recommended that I watch Slings and Arrows. The only people in it that I'd ever heard of are Mark McKinney and Rachel McAdams. I'm only 3 episodes into season 1, but I'm really starting to enjoy it. Has anyone else seen it?

I LOVE Slings and Arrows. Hope you continue to enjoy it!
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
Originally posted by Vadon:
But I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic fiction so I am willing to look over those parts for the greater whole. I also quite liked the ending, though from what I understand many people didn't.

It was a betrayal.

I don't mind that it was supernatural, but the supernatural part didn't hang together the way that good fantasy has to. What were the Lords of Kobol? Why were there 12 of them and 12 Cylon models? What was the Cylon God's relationship to the Lords?

Also, apparently everyone was having this opera house dream so that they would know that they would all be standing in that very same arrangement in the future, and nothing interesting would happen. Awesome precognition!!

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

quote:
Originally posted by Destineer:
quote:

It was a betrayal.

I don't mind that it was supernatural, but the supernatural part didn't hang together the way that good fantasy has to. What were the Lords of Kobol? Why were there 12 of them and 12 Cylon models? What was the Cylon God's relationship to the Lords?

The short of my answer is that I don't really care.

But the longer answer from my perspective (understanding that I didn't really talk about each episode with folks as they came out or went on bulletin boards for speculation).

They have something that I think was called the Pythian Prophecy? It said something to the effect of everything that is happening has happened before and will happen again. When they ended up on Earth showing our modern present-day, I took it to be that there is some higher power influencing the events but that whatever name you give them--be it the cylon God, the lords of Kobol, or our God(s)--the only truth is the cyclical nature of the universe. What form the true God takes is incidental to the fact that there's some big person pulling the strings in ways that we can't comprehend.

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention to those details to be peeved by the ending not really answering those questions well--but it was just something I didn't care about.

I was mostly paying attention to the plight of humanity and hoping for a satisfying resolution. That they ended up finding the Earth we know today in a twist was a good enough ending for me.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Hugo is on Netflix...for those who want to see the actors playing Ender and Mazer together.

ETA: Which is also a very good movie in and of itself.

[ December 04, 2012, 05:17 AM: Message edited by: Stone_Wolf_ ]

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know exactly when Season 7 of How I Met Your Mother showed up on Netflix? My wife and I bought the discs a few days ago and then I checked Netflix, only to see it on there. So I mostly just want to know how much I should kick myself.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I think I saw an email in my junk folder about it yesterday.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
Does anyone know exactly when Season 7 of How I Met Your Mother showed up on Netflix? My wife and I bought the discs a few days ago and then I checked Netflix, only to see it on there. So I mostly just want to know how much I should kick myself.

It was definitely sometime this week. I'd estimate Sunday.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Destineer:
quote:

It was a betrayal.

Also, apparently everyone was having this opera house dream so that they would know that they would all be standing in that very same arrangement in the future, and nothing interesting would happen. Awesome precognition!!

I actually thought the precog moments, like the big reveal in Daybreak of what the Opera House vision meant, and the reveal with Kara at the piano a couple episodes before were really well executed. I was pretty invested in the show from the start, so I was predisposed to like it.

I always wonder with a show like BSG how much the viewing experience matters. Does marathon watching it all at once make it less enjoyable than the tension that's built up over many years of watching?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I always wonder with a show like BSG how much the viewing experience matters. Does marathon watching it all at once make it less enjoyable than the tension that's built up over many years of watching?

I think that may be the exact reason I didn't mind the ending so much. I didn't have years of investment into the show to stew over each episode week to week. Without that delay, I think it was much easier for me to shrug off parts I didn't like.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:

It was definitely sometime this week. I'd estimate Sunday.
Ok, I think I saw it on Sunday too, so that makes me feel better. We bought it sometime last week, so no way of knowing.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember enjoying Man from Earth, though it's been a few years and it could actually be pseudo-intellectual crap. I wouldn't put it past me to enjoy that. Or it could be excellent.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

I Love You Phillip Morris is an excellent film and Jim Carrey gives an excellent performance.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
I remember enjoying Man from Earth, though it's been a few years and it could actually be pseudo-intellectual crap. I wouldn't put it past me to enjoy that. Or it could be excellent.

No, it was pseudo-intellectual crap. But it at least started out with some promise. [Dont Know]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I Love You Phillip Morris is an excellent film and Jim Carrey gives an excellent performance.

I'll second this. One of his finer performances for sure.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Crank 2 is one of the most deranged movies I've ever seen, and I can only hope that the last five minutes are burned into my memory forever.

[ December 17, 2012, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: umberhulk ]

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
quote:

Holy moly, I didn't know -anything- about this movie, just saw your guys recommendation and went for it. Dang shoot howdy that was not what I expected!
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
quote:

Holy moly, I didn't know -anything- about this movie, just saw your guys recommendation and went for it. Dang shoot howdy that was not what I expected!
In a just world, that movie would have earned Jim Carrey an Oscar nomination in my opinion. He gives such a subtle non-performance in it -- he just disappears into the role.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
The Man from Earth.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

A professor admits to his friends that he is a 14,000 year old man.

=o

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

West Wing has been added.
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
American Horror Story is wonderful.

Some plot holes and such, but, overall, I really enjoyed it.

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Which is hilarious. I just bought a blu ray player for the sole reason that it had amazon prime with west wing and my wdtv does not have amazon.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:

What? [Angst] That is wonderful news for me.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm late to the party as far watching in order, but Farscape is on there.

As well as a few new DC animated titles.
Justice League: DOOM
Batman Year One
Superman All Stars
Superman vs. The Elite

All of them are wonderful in their own ways.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how long it has been streaming, but Trek Nation is amazing. It is a documentary done by Gene Roddenberry's son Rod, it is half him looking to connect with his late father and half him finding that connection through everything Star Trek. Interestingly enough he doesn't pull any punches in this documentary, I learned some things about Mr. Roddenberry I didn't want to know.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ael
Member # 12784

- posted      Profile for Ael           Edit/Delete Post 
They have the old Doctor Whos on Netflix now--at least (some of?) the ones that survived without being tossed in the rubbish bin. Do yourself a favor and start at "season 3" -- the doctor here is recognizably the same character. [Wink]

(By the by, "The Master" listed as villain in season 2 is not The Master, but another character by that name.)

Posts: 20 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Not netflix, but I just bought A Better Tomorrow and Hardboiled on Amazon. Can't wait.
Itsame
Member # 9712

Better Off Ted is very good and Riki-Oh is Riki-Oh. Here are some excerpts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbzbyg3olQI (Warning, over the top gore, though obviously fake)
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Farscape is better than I thought it would be.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been watching Felicity. How did I never know about that show when it was airing? Love it. Funny to watch everyone using landlines and payphones, though.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
I've been watching Felicity. How did I never know about that show when it was airing? Love it. Funny to watch everyone using landlines and payphones, though.

JJ Abram's first show I believe.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seeing the roots of LOST's conflicted love triangles in Felicity.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

The Adventures of Mark Twain may now be one of my favorite movies (but I really like Twain's writings).
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Adventures of Mark Twain may now be one of my favorite movies (but I really like Twain's writings).

I remember watching that when I was a kid. It was so surreal.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

For fans of British period films:

The BBC mini-series of Daniel Deronda (with Hugh Dancy, Romola Garai, Hugh Bonneville and Jodhi May) is probably the best screen adaptation of a Victorian novel I've ever seen. (Even better than the Jennifer Ehle/Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice, which was my previous favorite.)

North and South and Middlemarch are also excellent.

John Stephen
Member # 12954

- posted      Profile for John Stephen           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:
Not netflix, but I just bought A Better Tomorrow and Hardboiled on Amazon. Can't wait.

Amazon is not bad but Netflix also a good choice.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Watched Safety Not Guaranteed over the weekend. Surprisingly good film. Has the same sort of feel to it that TiMER did.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Alice is an urban fantasy recreation of Alice in Wonderland. I'm watching it right now and the introduction of Mad March has me sold on the whole thing kit and kaboodle.

Kathy Bates, Tim Curry, Colm Meaney and Alessandro Juliani (Lt. Felix Gaeta from Battlestar Galactica) are familiar faces without hogging more screen time than their roles deserve.

LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
Safety not Guaranteed was genuinely my favorite movie of the year.
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

It was fantastic.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.