FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Netflix Streaming Recommendations (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Netflix Streaming Recommendations
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
The Red Balloon.

I remember watching this masterpiece of a short film in school

Me too!

*adds to instant queue*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been watching Star Trek: The Next Generation via Netflix and have the other shows in my Instant Queue for eventual streaming.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
The Red Balloon.

I remember watching this masterpiece of a short film in school

Me too!

*adds to instant queue*

Watched it last night. It was as marvelous a fairy tale as I remembered.

I wondered what happened to the boy (Pascal), who was apparently the director's son. As of 5 years ago, he was alive and well.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Season 4 of Breaking Bad is now streaming. Episode one is one of the most shocking things I have ever scene on camera.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
WOOHOO Captain America is streaming. I look forward to rewinding and re-watching Cap punch Hitler in the face a couple of times.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I really want to heartily recommend The Booth at the End. I haven't seen it discussed on Hatrack, and I think several people here would like it.

I know it is only on Hulu Streaming, but it is available without needing to sign up for a free account or a paid account. It is a Hulu exclusive show. I have seen all of Season 1 and all of Season 2 (that is available), and I am hooked.

The premise is different people go to "The Man" in a booth at a diner and ask for a wish. He looks in a book and tells them the cost. The entire show is always just two people talking, and it is gripping. It is creepy, disturbing, engaging, has great dialogue--all dialogue-- and superb acting.

It is the Ultimate Moral Dilemma show.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
Super 8 is now streaming. I rather liked it.
Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by 777:
Super 8 is now streaming. I rather liked it.

I really loved that movie.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a lot of Booth at the End and I quite like it. Intriguing, good acting, it's a good show, but I wouldn't call anything in it a moral dilemma. Maybe crisis of conscious.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Been watching Jericho lately. It's pretty darn good.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

quote:
Originally posted by odouls268:
Been watching Jericho lately. It's pretty darn good.

So good that the peanut army made the second season happen. I haven't looked into them but there are now Jericho comic books.

World's Greatest Dad is written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait, starring Robin Williams. Williams is an english teacher who forges a suicide note for his son who accidentally killed himself.

Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Dinosaurs has been added to Netflix.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
Peep Show once again, everyone. Peep Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t33cMRFqvCw#t=0m37s

[ September 04, 2012, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Sa'eed ]

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Les Miserables miniseries is on Netflix starring Gerard Depardieu and John Malkovich.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Seeing as there was some discussion of the film as it neared theatrical release I thought I would let everyone know that Wolf Puncher starring Liam Neeson is now stream.

So is Super 8, and on Sunday season 2 of The Walking Dead will be streaming (if you are like me and have only seen what Netflix can cheaply and legally show you.)

Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh! Sherlock series 2!
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Wolf Puncher (The Grey) decided to say the F word as many times as possible (and still have a plot). Not a horrible movie, it was...a bit silly. I was rooting for the wolves.

Super 8 was pretty fricken awesome. Like a grown up Goonies.

And the second season of Walking Dead (saw it when it aired) is good, though not as good as the first.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

In defense of the language used in The Grey, the setting is quite clear on the type of men they are from the very beginning. Whether or not is was nice it was honest, in fact that movie was far more about real life problems than fighting wolves. I was a little dissapointed by the lackluster ending.

I have issues with how they ended season one... super AI? really?

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

It isn't that the word offends me (it SO doesn't) it's that it felt like they were trying so hard to get up to 150 effs...reeked of effort.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet 2.0
Member # 12719

- posted      Profile for Olivet 2.0           Edit/Delete Post 
SERIES 2 OF THE BBC SHERLOCK!!!!

*FLAIL*

Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
^That is the appropriate reaction!

I can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on the new season.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
It isn't that the word offends me (it SO doesn't) it's that it felt like they were trying so hard to get up to 150 effs...reeked of effort.

I've spent my entire life around veterans, ex-cons and addicts. If anything they made the men more eloquent.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Sgt Frog is on Netflix. Woohoo!
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

The Phantom of the Opera, perfrormed at the Royal Albert Theater (it is huge and beuatiful) is streaming. And I am happy.
Itsame
Member # 9712

I'll second that. It's really a gorgeous production.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

When I saw the orchestra was housed on a loft above the stage I wished I could pause the show and tour the stage and all its production. I stopped only a little way in and I'm not sure how I feel about the projector all the way up there, I don't like minimalism via technology over traditional theatric productions.
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:
Sgt Frog is on Netflix. Woohoo!

My 4-year-old loved that. Thanks for the tip.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I stated watching the new Battlestar Galactica...having never watched the original show even once. I noticed that the original is also streaming.

I don't really want to go back and watch it, but I was curious what you guys thought. Is it necessary to watch the oldy to enjoy the new?

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Watch the new version till the end (plus movies!) and then attempt to watch the old. The original is campy and ridiculous by comparison and everyone involved in BSG did such a great job of relating the universe.

Would Portlandia lie?

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Heh, thanks!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Do not watch the new version until the end. If you would like to know when you should stop watching and make up a more satisfying ending in your own head, let me know.

In related news, you should not finish King's Dark Tower series, and should stop watching Lost and Heroes fairly early in their runs. I know that all of us geeks are ridiculous completionists, but we do not need to keep watching something after it has turned to crap just so we know what the creators "intended" -- especially since so many creators are really just winging it.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I think LOST stayed consistent much longer than Heroes. I wouldn't recommend watching beyond Heroes's first season.
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed... some of Heroes season 2.

The Hiro bits were still pretty funny.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I think i could add battlestar galactica to that list of 'quit watching x-way in'
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
Like at the point when that Cyclon snapped that baby's neck. That's when I stopped watching.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I'd say stop watching Heroes right before the season 1 finale which sucked so hard it may be the suckiest thing in the history of sucking.

Right now I'm on season 1 ep 10 of BSG and enjoying it majoritativly.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Okay, I'm on season 2 ep 11 (female admiral strife)...how much longer does it stay decent?
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
All of Season 2. First six episodes of season 3. It's a lot better than decent, though.

A lot of Season 3 after than is kind of dull, but the last four episodes were great. Season 4 has cool moments, but it's not necessary, and yeah, ending is stupid.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Beginning in Season 3, the writers sort of forget who the characters are.

I'm not even sort of kidding. They start consciously railroading the plot in a variety of different directions -- and even quite clearly change their mind about those directions two or three times, which are pretty obviously marked -- and stop caring whether the characters as written so far would actually do the things the plot demands of them.

In some cases, this actually produces individual episodes worth watching; in some very rare cases, it produces arcs of episodes worth watching -- but those arcs generally fail to pay off, probably because the writers changed their mind about what the payoff should be halfway through. So it's hard, with BSG, to say where you should stop, because there are some individually very excellent episodes in S3 and S4 that unfortunately would require watching some very, very terrible or tedious episodes to understand. But perhaps that's not a problem; by S4, the plot has become so detached from character motivations that everyone appears to be behaving largely randomly, anyway, so maybe it's okay to just watch those episodes and pretend that something happened between them to make the continuity make sense.

I'd say to stop at the end of S2, but the truth is that you'll miss out on some fine television if you do that. The thing is, the show you're watching by the last half of S3 is no longer the same show you started watching.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
The beginning of Season 3 is great. The middle of season 3 is terrible.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

The biggest lie told on BSG:

quote:
And they have a plan.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Where are you?
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

S3, the passage.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I'm watching a scifi-action movie right now called Lockout. Think Escape from New York in space. It is far better than I make it sound, the set design is particularly impressive.
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey lem, thanks for the tip (months ago) on The Booth at the End. Just watched episode 1, it's weird and freaky and interesting.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I'm on season 4 ep 9 and the show quality hasn't changed much (b- to c+, with some A moments and some d moments).

[ November 17, 2012, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Stone_Wolf_ ]

Speed
Member # 5162

Freaks and Geeks just started streaming. This might be my favorite TV show in the history of the medium. If you haven't seen it yet, watch the whole series immediately. Cancel whatever you'd planned for today. You won't be sorry.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I've been on a Shakespeare kick lately, and someone recommended that I watch Slings and Arrows. The only people in it that I'd ever heard of are Mark McKinney and Rachel McAdams. I'm only 3 episodes into season 1, but I'm really starting to enjoy it. Has anyone else seen it?
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Just noticed the new Jack Black dark comedy Bernie is streaming.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
Freaks and Geeks just started streaming. This might be my favorite TV show in the history of the medium. If you haven't seen it yet, watch the whole series immediately. Cancel whatever you'd planned for today. You won't be sorry.

I'd heard so much about Freak and Geeks, so I was eager to check it out. I was extremely disappointed. I liked (but didn't love) the Geeks storyline, but the Freaks one was so stupid.

It was like watching the Simpsons. Just about every episode, they showed Lindsay that they didn't really care about her and were going to mess up her life, she'd freak out and then next episode go back to hanging out with them with the previous stuff forgotten. I didn't get the attraction in the first place. I mean, she thought Daniel was cute and wanted to hang out around him, but she gave up on that pretty quickly. I don't see why you would chose to continue to hang out with them. The show (I think) tried to present it like there were only two groups to hang out with at the school, which is clearly not true.

I don't know, that storyline seemed like it would only work if you somehow liked the Freaks and Lindsey and found something admirable about them, but, except for Nick (I liked the start of the storyline where the adult Weirs were trying to help Nick out), I just didn't. They were annoying losers and she was a whiny, spoiled girl who didn't deserve the latitude people were giving her.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.