FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Election Results, anyone? (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Election Results, anyone?
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Daschle's loss was a major setback for the Democrats, as well as being pretty surprising.

That particular Senate race is the most expensive in US history, as well as (I think) being the longest.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I was more aware, for the first time in my voting history, of the huge Rural/Urban split of this race. I have seen it before - but not as dramatically as now.

If you look at each state, and Bush/Kerry votes by county, overall (there are exceptions, of course) Bush won rural areas, and Kerry won major Metropolitan or heavily populated areas. And so, also, Kerry won the heavily populated California and West Coast, as well as the Beltway and New England states, where there is a great population of urban.

In states like Iowa, the most Kerry supporters were in the east-most populated counties along the river, and Des Moines (although he didn't pull a majority there). Same with Kansas -- the only really pro-Kerry showing was in the metropolitan KC area.

I can see that over time, as urban areas grow (which they are doing at a very rapid rate) and rural population declines, the shift of power could be major.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*wakes up, checks Hatrack first thing to see if there is a result*

*sighs*

Yay. Democrasy works. *waves a tiny little flag sadly*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.