FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Canon in D on electric guitar (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Canon in D on electric guitar
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Really? Really? Is there a tool for getting you off my case? Is there? IS THERE?

I don't know. Is there a tool for getting you to stop bitching about the kind of music other people like?
This is a minor snark?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

Now ask yourself, especially considering that you've now brought this to a brand new page, is this "conducive to a good atmosphere here"?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

No, but I mostly blame you for that.

[Smile]

The point being that you'll understand how some people feel about your tenacious attention to people with whom you disagree. Hopefully, understanding that some people find your aggressive snark to be detrimental to the forum, you'll reconsider using it so often.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes you have to look in the most random of threads to find the strangest arguments going on.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Yeah, but you're wrong.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I know, right?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
The point being that you'll understand how some people feel about your tenacious attention to people with whom you disagree. Hopefully, understanding that some people find your aggressive snark to be detrimental to the forum, you'll reconsider using it so often.
I'd be willing to consider that from someone who gave any indication that they actually believed the principle they were espousing. I've seen no indication of that from you. Rather, all I've seen is you exercising a privilege you would like me not to.
Scott R
Member # 567

HA!

That's too nice a posting coincidence to mess with.
quote:
quote:
Yeah, but you're wrong.
Ah, well. Hopefully it will be a couple days before I have to be wrong again.
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
I'd be willing to consider that from someone who gave any indication that they actually believed the principle they were espousing. I've seen no indication of that from you. Rather, all I've seen is you exercising a privilege you would like me not to.

Huh.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, you must be aware that Dagonee, much like an ancient river, will simply run over and over your opinions and positions until they are polished down to nothing but a depression in the Earth. I think he likes do that more than he likes actually contributing what I would call "unique and interesting" input into any given conversation. Instead, he depends on the wrongness of everyone around him to keep him flowing downhill. This is why lawyers are rich, but do not invent things. Though we need lawyers, sometimes, this reminds of why that fact is frustrating.

So, you clearly can't choose the wine in front of yourself.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
A Scott R and Dagonee argument. Hmmm...all you dudes need is a common enemy to get you back on the same page.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Scott, you must be aware that Dagonee, much like an ancient river, will simply run over and over your opinions and positions until they are polished down to nothing but a depression in the Earth. I think he likes do that more than he likes actually contributing what I would call "unique and interesting" input into any given conversation. Instead, he depends on the wrongness of everyone around him to keep him flowing downhill. This is why lawyers are rich, but do not invent things. Though we need lawyers, sometimes, this reminds of why that fact is frustrating.

So, you clearly can't choose the wine in front of yourself.

As much as I think this argument between Scott and Dag is silly, I think it's a mite rude to dismiss Dag's manner of arguing.

Complaining that he breaks down the opposition's arguments and simply outlasts everyone is like complaining that African wild dogs don't hunt fair because they don't run too fast or too slow and simply wait until their prey get tired of running.

It's not as if Dag is invincible at the argument table, I've seen him accept correction before. Don't complain that he won't change his mind when your or anyone else's arguments don't stand his rigorous examinations. If Dag is wrong, and does not see it, life will somehow go on I am sure.

Finally, it's really poor form for people to keep bringing up the fact he is an attorney, as if that ought to provoke some ire from the peanut gallery. I work at Burrells-Luce, but if somebody said, "That's BlackBlade the press clipper," and acted as if that were the embodiment of who I am, it would really start to bug me. Sure being a lawyer to a significant extent says who Dag is, but it's hardly more important than the fact that he is a man or that he is Catholic.

I only say all this Orincoro because I don't think it falls on deaf ears.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I get the feeling that you have no idea how much Americans hate lawyers. That's understandable, since you spent most of your life out of the country.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'm pretty neutral (no preference between Dag and Scott as to whose posts I'd rather read), fresh to the issue (don't post here much, read only a small fraction of threads), and, of course, wholly objective and infallible [Wink] ...

and Dag is right. Scott R snarkily telling Dagonee not to post snark in response to (whoever) is no different and no more defensible than Dag doing it to (whoever).

It's like slapping somebody to get him to stop slapping somebody else (who was just asking for it).

I'm going to move on now; feel free to slap me.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
*slap*
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Let me reiterate:

Huh.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
The difference is that I don't think Scott was being snarky about it-- though I can see how his comments could be taken that way, I honestly think he's been consistently trying to lighten the mood

I say this as, not only someone who gets more worked up than Dagonee does, but as someone who admires Dagonee both as a poster and as an IRL person.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
I get the feeling that you have no idea how much Americans hate lawyers. That's understandable, since you spent most of your life out of the country.

Nope. I definitely know the sentiment, and have heard my fair share of lawyer jokes. I've heard the tired old, "The only ones who made money in that multi-million dollar class action lawsuit was the lawyers."

It's when the humor makes that jump into intended maliciousness that it becomes irksome.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.