FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Canon in D on electric guitar (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Canon in D on electric guitar
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go for "soft" and "hard" as terminology for lack of a better one.

(and isn't that just what's needed at the top of a page in this thread?)

I believe Biology and Astronomy would qualify as "hard" sciences because, at least according to the US tax code (at the time I went to grad school, at least, the IRS had different rules for taxing stipends depending on whether you were in a hard or soft science), the dividing line between hard and soft is somewhere smack in the middle of the larger field of "Psychology". Experimental and Cognitive Psych are "hard" sciences, "Social" and "Clinical" Psych are "soft" sciences.

So...Mucus, no problem really. I figured I knew what you meant.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Bob_Scopatz & Rivka: Sorry, soft/hard science rather than social/real if you prefer.

Don't apologize. I majored in a real science. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Bob_Scopatz & Rivka: Sorry, soft/hard science rather than social/real if you prefer.

Don't apologize. I majored in a real science.
(and she uses that knowledge only for good!)
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

O:)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

(she made me say that!)

<runs & hides>

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
I could make it better, in a limited way, in about 5 minutes in Logic.
Do it.
I don't own it, so no. Realizing that sounds weak, but no.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
quote:

Don't apologize. I majored in a real science. [Wink]
How DARE you.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*LAUGH*
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
Olive, Radiohead does that to me for some reason.
I am assuming it was not a good crazy?

Really? I kind of like what little Radiohead I've heard. But, yeah, not a good crazy. It makes my heart beat fast and (since I'm usually in a vehicle of some sort)it makes me want to claw at the windows and doors. Alternately, there are some of their songs without lyrics that put violent images in my head, and it feels like it would be fun to be violent. Scared the hell out of me the first time.

The nearest thing I've seen to describe it was probably the "Adam" episode of Torchwood, when Adam gave Ianto memories of killing women and enjoying it, even though he'd never done any such thing.

Pink Floyd resonates on the exact frequency of my crazy bone. O_O I have no idea how that works, but I avoid it.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Oh, Bob! PDQ Bach! The only solo I ever performed with the KC Choir was in The Seasonings. Center stage and everything.

It was a sneeze. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Olive, Radiohead does not give me images of ciolence, more of a strange otherworld that I wouldn;t want to be in, like Coraline's Other Mother lives in.

We went to a Pink Floyd concert once, and it was the most violent and frightening concert experience I have ever had. There was a seething anger in the stadium, a man in front of us punched his girlfriend in the face, it was just awful.

But I love Pink Floyd, just not to listen to often.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I'm also not a huge fan of live rock concerts- they verge too far towards mass hysteria for me. It isn't too appealing.

Radiohead though, especially In Rainbows, is a fantastic band to listen to while you're driving, sitting around, on your ipod. Their earlier music was much more insistent, but recently, and especially with this album, it's much more reflective and calm. I loves it.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Radiohead is not my cup of tea. I heard the lead singer on NPR's 'All Songs Considered,' and I just didn't find it very appealing.

Electronica, in all its forms, just isn't appealing to me.

:shrug:

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard one Radiohead song. It was dreadful.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Radiohead is not my cup of tea. I heard the lead singer on NPR's 'All Songs Considered,' and I just didn't find it very appealing.

You will find their older stuff is so different from their current stuff it's almost a different band...almost.

Think The Beatles' "Happiness is a Warm Gun" Vs "Obla Di Obla Da."

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Was "Creep" Radiohead? That's the only song I've heard that I know to be theirs, and I like it. "I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo..."
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
[You will find their older stuff is so different from their current stuff it's almost a different band...almost.

Think The Beatles' "Happiness is a Warm Gun" Vs "Obla Di Obla Da."

You know that those are on the same album, right? Might be better to go with "Baby's in Black" and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" or something.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
And Elizabeth, I'm not going to watch your son's video, at least in this topic, because I don't think it fits with the discussion to involve someone you know, mixing your understandably personal feelings in- I couldn't be fair to myself or you if I did talk about it. When it's someone who will be affected by what you say, and you have the potential of discouraging them from trying to do well, then you have to be more careful.

Well, first of all, it is my son' guitar video, not mine. He is a very innocent eleven, one of those boys who will mature when they are twenty. I will not share comments with him. In fact, I shield him from positive comments, because he gets overwhelmed. But I save them, for later.

I just think, even though I am the mom, that he is phenomenal. He has skills, he has passion, and he loves what he is doing. So even if you say something negative, about his timing, his this, his that, I won't really care! Don't you see? I just want you to give it a listen!

It doesn't have to be that complicated.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
Was "Creep" Radiohead? That's the only song I've heard that I know to be theirs, and I like it. "I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo..."

Yeah, their most commercial song. Also quite non-representative of their style. It was on their, iirc, second album, and they abhor the idea that it is so often chosen to represent them- but they have that luxury now. It's a very different band 12-15 years later.

Icky: I would suggest listening to maybe 5 more songs. It could be an acquired taste- I know I didn't always enjoy it. Now I think its the best band playing.

If I could suggest 5 songs to listen to as an introduction, though band is rangy, I will do that if you want to listen:

1. Kid A- from the Kid A album

2. Everything in it's Right Place- from Kid A

3. Paranoid Android- from Ok Computer

4. Packed Like Sardines in A Can- from Amnesiac

5. Reckoner from In Rainbows

Alternate: Listen to "Videotape" from In Rainbows, or "Exit Music for Film" from Ok computer for the softer, end of album radiohead feel- all the other songs I mentioned are headers or middlers.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:

Ok but radiohead doesn't fall in with the "electronica" genre that well. I wouldn't use that term to describe it. "Progressive Rock" is a term used a lot for them. They are also minimalist over the last few albums.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now I think its the best band playing.
Whereas "Creep" is quite possibly the one Radiohead song I've ever liked. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like Kid A. (And I think we've had this out before here, between radiohead fans...)

But Tom - Karma Police? Paranoid Android? Great songs. (And it's quite obvious OK Computer is my favourite Radiohead album).

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Creep is from Pablo Honey, which was Radiohead's first album.

Interesting picks, Orincoro. Aside from Reckoner, I wouldn't have picked those songs to introduce Icarus to Radiohead. If he were interested in hearing more, I'd probably suggest:

• Planet Telex, from The Bends
  • Lucky, from OK Computer
  • Reckoner, from In Rainbows
  • How to Disappear Completely, from Kid A
  • Faust Arp, from the Com Lag EP

Of course, my favourite Radiohead album is still -- after all these years -- The Bends. [Big Grin]

(Note: it's actually "Packd Like Sardines In A Crushd Tin Box," IIRC, though I disliked Amnesiac as a whole.)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
quote:
Now I think its the best band playing.
Whereas "Creep" is quite possibly the one Radiohead song I've ever liked. [Smile]
Yeah, weird. Still a good song, but much too much early 90's nirvana for me.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Twinky- your list is one of good songs, but they aren't a: representative of what I think of as the band's range, and b) all that attractive, at least to me.

Also your list doesn't represent much slow music.

also lucky is about the last song I'd recommend for a new listener, I don't even like it that much.

The fact that you dislike amnesiac is going to affect my sleep.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by imogen:
I don't like Kid A. (And I think we've had this out before here, between radiohead fans...)

But Tom - Karma Police? Paranoid Android? Great songs. (And it's quite obvious OK Computer is my favourite Radiohead album).

Seriously though, the idea of not liking Kid A. I mean i guess it's conceivably possible.. but why go through life like that?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But Tom - Karma Police? Paranoid Android? Great songs.
No, they're meh songs.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

You're a meh song.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Your mom's a meh song.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Your face is a meh song.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

At least my face answers phone calls. [Razz]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Thirty years from now, I'm confident that Radiohead will not be one of the bands people mention from this era. Except possibly the same way people talk about Rick Springfield nowadays.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:

OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SNAP!
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thirty years from now, I'm confident that Radiohead will not be one of the bands people mention from this era. Except possibly the same way people talk about Rick Springfield nowadays.

Tom, I've never disagreed with you more.

And in fact, I rarely disagree with you at all!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:

Well I think you're wrong about that- but you have to consider that in 30 years it will be people my age talking about the music that they listened to when they were in their early 20s who will decide what to talk about, and I think you're a few years older- so the discussion you'll be having will be a different one anyway, imo. It's not really on your personal radar, but I assure it is for many people. I also think that considering that Radiohead is significantly more of a recording-oriented band, less image based, less merchandised, and less geared toward live performance, their music will have a lasting appeal to people who are looking at what makes the current artistic climate tick. What worked for the Beatles, in the long run, was their innovations in the studio, and now we pretty much dismiss the fact that they were a pop idol sensation, because they were able to rise past that short term appeal. I think, like them or not, Radiohead has a tremendous influence on the recording community (they certainly do in my music department for example, among teachers as well as students), and they've helped to popularize new creative applications for musicians both in-studio and live. Also they've had a major impact, imo, on the adoption of minimalist arrangement techniques that we're now seeing all over the place in popular music- including as a visible example, Justin Timberlake, who's really transformed his image as a musician by moving into a similar arena.

So, maybe Radiohead won't be Greenday in 30 years, maybe they'll just be The Clash, but they'll be in the discussion.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:

And in fact, I rarely disagree with you at all!

Nor do I, which is why I'm thinking that Tom is right on his own terms, just wrong when it comes to the big picture.

Case and Point: I have no knowledge of the music of Rick Springfield, but I'm 23.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:

OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SNAP!
O_o

Do you even know what that was about?

Orincoro
Member # 8854

No, that was my stupid point. Plus I really wanted to say it. Just being silly.
rivka
Member # 4859

'k.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

psh, your face.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

So, maybe Radiohead won't be Greenday in 30 years, maybe they'll just be The Clash

Are you suggesting that, in terms of fame and influence, Green Day > The Clash?

I like both bands, but I have trouble imagining Green Day being considered more influential.

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, dude--what DO you mean about Radiohead in relation to Green Day/The Clash?

When I think of bands that will be remembered from the 90's, Nirvana and Radiohead are the first two that come to mind. I liken Radiohead to Pink Floyd, Nirvana to Led Zeppelin (in terms of comparing memorability of 70's bands)

And now that I think about it, which bands WILL be remembered from the 90's? Tastes have diversified so far in the digital music age--I don't think any one band will ever be as (synonymous?) as the Beatles, etc.

[ February 29, 2008, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Launchywiggin ]

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Well, Greenday has had something like 15 number one hits, I can't find numbers anywhere for that, but it's just my guess. The Clash had none.

Fame and influence, I'm suggesting, are two different things. Green Day is imminently more famous. It's also pretty easy to say that the Clash had a wider influence in the music community, especially since they were on the vanguard of their movement, whereas Greenday formed in the late 80's when punk was pretty well established- so much so that many other bands resented their fame because they were late comers.

So your original statement was that you didn't think we'd be talking about Radiohead in 30 years. I think we will, but I think it's likely to be a conversation similar to one we might have now about The Clash- one having to do with their influence on the genre rather than their fame.

At the same time, I don't really think you're fully aware of Radiohead's popularity- especially considering that they spend a fractional amount of money in advertising compared to foreign bands of similar stature in the U.S. U2's advertising schemes are diabolical, (are they a US band or not?) and Greenday, as an example, courts the mtv crowd when Radiohead generally eschews traditional marketing, and no longer even belongs to a label.

So the fact that Radiohead was popular enough among fans and the media to make a splash in the news and quite a bit of money and critical attention for an album they produced themselves, distributing through various labels, despite it having been nearly 7 years since their most recent release, is saying alot about them. That album went to number one in the UK and the US, and was the number one album in the world at its peak position, according to Media Traffic.

So, I tend to think you underestimate their popularity.

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh. Yeah--that makes sense. I've found that Radiohead is extremely popular among other musicians, too. One thing I will recognize--is that I don't think they have memorable "hits". Their big "hits" are pretty easily forgotten in the stream of top 40 (Karma Police, Creep, High and Dry). Definitely not like the Beatles in that respect.

The Clash analogy makes a lot of sense now.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
Creep is from Pablo Honey, which was Radiohead's first album.

Interesting picks, Orincoro. Aside from Reckoner, I wouldn't have picked those songs to introduce Icarus to Radiohead. If he were interested in hearing more, I'd probably suggest:

• Planet Telex, from The Bends
  • Lucky, from OK Computer
  • Reckoner, from In Rainbows
  • How to Disappear Completely, from Kid A
  • Faust Arp, from the Com Lag EP

Of course, my favourite Radiohead album is still -- after all these years -- The Bends. [Big Grin]

(Note: it's actually "Packd Like Sardines In A Crushd Tin Box," IIRC, though I disliked Amnesiac as a whole.)

I think Planet Telex is a bad choice from that album. For me, it's a little too inaccessible. I'd recommend something more like The Bends, Street Spirit, or Just.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Twinky- your list is one of good songs, but they aren't a: representative of what I think of as the band's range, and b) all that attractive, at least to me.
Your first point is certainly true, but I know a little bit about what kinds of music Icarus likes, and I suspect he'd find my list at least palatable. I'm thinking about my hypothetical audience, whereas you're thinking about the band. [Smile]

Actually, come to think of it, I think I performed Lucky unplugged at a gathering last year, and he might have been in the room when I did that.

quote:
Thirty years from now, I'm confident that Radiohead will not be one of the bands people mention from this era.

I'm curious as to why you think this? Also, I'm curious as to what it is about Radiohead that you dislike -- or what it is they lack that makes you indifferent. I don't think you're under any obligation to like Radiohead, mind you, I'm just interested.

For that matter, I'm kind of curious to hear about some band you'd just love to share. I'm always looking out for new recommendations and I'm in an exploratory mood these days. [Smile]

quote:
I also think that considering that Radiohead is significantly more of a recording-oriented band, less image based, less merchandised, and less geared toward live performance...

I agree that they put a lot of care, effort, and nuance into their recordings, but that isn't really what endears them to me.

In fact, since seeing Radiohead live, I hardly ever listen to the album versions of Kid A or Amnesiac songs -- I listen to the live recordings of those songs that I have from the show I attended. I think Radiohead are an incredible live band and you've really sold them short in that regard -- presumably due to not having seen them live. [Wink]

Idioteque is a great example. I liked the album version -- I liked Kid A -- but the live version was really remarkable. Very different, and I liked the changes. Admittedly, I don't know that I'd like the live version to be the studio version, but I'd love a well-recorded live EP with Idioteque on it, for example.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that Radiohead actually pulls it off live. It's a pretty amazing show.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
How cool that this is now a thread about Radiohead. I completely agree with those who say they're a great band and will have a lasting impact. It's very telling when all my musician friends rave about a band. It tells me that there's something real there that's good. That's what happened to me with Radiohead, then I listened and heard it for myself.

Since then, some time in the mid-90s, Radiohead has been a huge favorite of mine. They're always different and always good.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
At the same time, I don't really think you're fully aware of Radiohead's popularity...
No, I am. I just think they're popular with people who like pretentious things that suck. There are a lot of those people, mind you. [Smile]

quote:
Also, I'm curious as to what it is about Radiohead that you dislike -- or what it is they lack that makes you indifferent.
Meaningful lyrics, decent hooks, and songs that don't drag on interminably while the lead singer warbles over what may as well be electronica (i.e. crap). Radiohead manages to combine electronica with nasal whining AND jam bands, which are like the three forms of musical kryptonite to me. All we'd need is for Yorke to start doing whiny rap about his many cars and girlfriends and it'd be, like, anti-music.

Oddly, I like the Decemberists quite a bit, despite the above list of dislikes. So clearly there's something they're capable of doing that Radiohead is not. Not sucking, I suppose. [Wink]

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of Radiohead, but, to my knowledge, haven't heard Radiohead.

I am old.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.