FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Wyrms

Author Topic: Wyrms
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished Wyrms last week and I loved it. The inclusion philosophy has been central to my beliefs for as long as I can remember, but this is the first book I've read that gives life and breath to these thoughts.
Anyone else have thoughts on Wyrms?

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only read a couple times. I put off getting it from the library bc of the freaky cover, and then once I read it, I put off reading it again bc of the freaky story. I finally reread it a while ago, and liked it better the second time around. That seems to happen to me with a few Card books. The first reading either freaks me out or confuses me, but the second (or third, or fourth) reading clarifies the book.

That said, I don't remember many of the specifics of the book, so I can't really commment on what you said.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abyss
Member # 3086

- posted      Profile for Abyss   Email Abyss         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused.

What is Wyrms? What are Wyrms?

-Abyss

Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abyss
Member # 3086

I'm confused.

-Abyss

Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abyss
Member # 3086

I'm confused.

-Abyss

Abyss
Member # 3086

And why did that happen?
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Wyrms is an OSC book that is currently out of print. The setting is a world where there are many different and intelligent life forms. The story has an interesting spin on evolution and religion.

Abyss, I've never seen a triple post before. Maybe you're starting a new trend, or at least you've found a new glich

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuckles
Member # 2865

- posted      Profile for Chuckles   Email Chuckles         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read Wyrms in years. I read it once, and thought it was terrible. I've been meaning to go back and give it a second chance. It's Geoffrey Card's favourite, and he says it had a huge impact on his development when he was younger....

Take care
-Justin-

Posts: 999 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pwiscombe
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for pwiscombe   Email pwiscombe         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting to read now (knowing that it preceeded Speaker for the Dead but contains some of the same genetic manipulation ideas. Plus of course a brilliant hero who happens to be young.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atticus
Member # 1500

- posted      Profile for Atticus   Email Atticus         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Wyrms a few years ago and enjoyed it. I'll have to look that one up again sooner or later.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ender_girl
Member # 2707

- posted      Profile for ender_girl           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know where I would be able to get this book? (I know it's out of print but could I still get it somehow?)
Posts: 35 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rebekka
Member # 3290

- posted      Profile for Rebekka   Email Rebekka         Edit/Delete Post 
You can try a used book store but I doubt there are very many of them. I would recommend your friendly public library. If they don't have it, ask about inter-library loans; they may be able to get it for you from some library that does have it.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nemesis
Member # 2368

- posted      Profile for nemesis   Email nemesis         Edit/Delete Post 
I ordered mine from one of Amazon.com's online used bookstores. I cost me just a couple of bucks and postage (less than $4 in all) and was still in pretty good condition. It was definately worth the price and arrived in the mail within just a few days. You might look for it there. I've ordered several of OSC's books that way when I haven't been able to find them anywhere else. Of course, that's supposing you want to own them and not just borrow them.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ender_girl
Member # 2707

- posted      Profile for ender_girl           Edit/Delete Post 
Great thanks I'll give Amazon a try first and then if I don't find it I'll try the library. Although I suppose I would like to own it cause I LOVE these books. Even though I may not have room for all of them, they get stacked in lovely places after they're consumed.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pwiscombe
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for pwiscombe   Email pwiscombe         Edit/Delete Post 
You can typically find any of OSC's books on EBay. If it isn't available now, wait a week or so.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bumping up this very old post because I just finished reading Wyrms this week (I have read most of OSC's other works, except I haven't read Lost Boys).

Wyrms was just too much for me to wrap my mind around. I mean, I loved the story, and couldn't put it down --- yet the whole genetic concept of the story just never could make sense to my brain.

And I was frustrated by the way the main character had to constantly feel in limbo "are these my own thoughts, or is He making me feel this way, or is this what he wants me to believe?" it was all so confusing! Whenever she interacted with Angel, too, it was "I can tell he is lying to me -- does he think I believe it, or does he know that I know that he is lying, so he wants me to know that he's lying, so why it that? etc etc." I found that kind of chaos very unsettling.

So how can I say I liked the book (which I did) if it left me feeling so frustrated?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Wyrms, but I have to say that what you found unsettling, I found repetitive and annoying. OSC's writing is full of stuff like that—I guess it's suppsoed to be deep and nuanced characterisation or something—which is a large part of why I've stopped following his work.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
And you (ae)hang out on the forum funded by his books because...? I guess I'm not less guilty, never having actually bought a book.

Though I have to say, farmgirl, that I felt the same about Ender's Shadow. There was so much "Bean said this but even as he said it he was thinking something totally incongruous". I re-read it to see if I wasn't being too hard on it, but that scene where Ender leaves the Battle School is still just torture for me. It's almost Faulkneresque. But I still found the climax very affecting. I don't cry easily, but I did both times I read "Ender's Shadow".

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Edie
Member # 5771

- posted      Profile for Grandma Edie   Email Grandma Edie         Edit/Delete Post 
To those who want to get a copy of WYRMS:

It IS being re-issued, in paper. Hold tight. If your local bookstore, or library, doesn't have a copy, they will soon.
If I had known that it was being re-issued, I would have given it more time in my book.

However, here is what I did say. I reviewed the old "quest" tradition, that is:
Our Hero must take a journey to acheive a certain goal, overcoming obstacles. He is usually rewarded with either a beautiful woman, or a kingdom, or both. Often, he is accompanied on the quest by a friend or a troupe of friends.

WYRMS is in the quest tradition, but with a significant difference: The one who leads the quest is not a young man, but a young woman. She is not the prize, she is the questor. She does not wait to be rescued, she does her share of rescuing. She is not a perfect leader, but she is as good at it as most of Card's male heroes.

A quest LED by a young woman is unique in literature, I think. [Wave]

Grandma Edie, also known as Edith S. Tyson, author of ORSON SCOTT CARD: Writer of the Terrible Choice.

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You can also find Wyrms on half.com. I just bought a harback copy for a buck (plus shipping).
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.