FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Where is our Locke? (Page 12)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Where is our Locke?
Abyss
Member # 3086

- posted      Profile for Abyss   Email Abyss         Edit/Delete Post 
The really unfortunate flaw in democracy is that often those who are best suited to lead are often left behind as those who are best at winning elections are given positions of power.

If only there were a way to find leadership without asking everyone what they think about it? Everyone seems to have an opinion, no one seems to know the truth; the old method was to see who God suggests as King, but we either the Holy Hotline has gone dead or someone has forgotten His number. How can we find the best leader while gauranteeing that monsters do not come to power?

Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steel
Member # 3342

- posted      Profile for Steel   Email Steel         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a flaw in democracy, just one of the little sacrifices we make to protect our rights. Under monarchies, basically everyone suffered, all the time.

So, democracy is the best form of government (that we know of, so far) for protecting individual rights. But I've always thought that maybe not everyone should be able to vote.

Maybe we could limit the democratic franchise, like in Starship Troopers? Only giving war veterans the vote. It is the only way I can think of to acheive what you're talking about.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
siece
Member # 4525

- posted      Profile for siece   Email siece         Edit/Delete Post 
>In all your wisdom Seice, again you forget
>very simple things.
>About politicians: #1). The majority are
>liars, and, more pertinently, hypocrites.

I haven't forgotten. It simply hasn't been a factor. I have not, so far, put any restrictions on what profession a potential hegemon would need to have practiced before taking office. Unless you know of some reason he would have to be a politician, I will continue to not consider his former profession.

I will, however, add the conditions that a potential hegemon must be willing to live by any law he passes, and must be reasonably honest.

>#2). You're assuming our leaders are
>Capable of such efficient actions, when, by
>and large, they are not. They have to read >the poles first

This is why I haven't nominated any of our leaders as hegemon. Somewhere on this board I even specifically stated that a hegemon would have to come from one of the more productive classes of society, although it may not have been on this thread.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, Seice, you missed my point. I was beating the dead horse(About what happens if we run out of oil).
I'm not going to defend monarchy any more than I already have; that's also a dead horse. You CAN have a near perfect monarchy easier, but basically, Democracy's all around better... in the long run.
However, though I think I understand Steel's perspective, if it's to be a democracy, it has to be a government of the people, by the people, for the people, not of the military, by the military, for the people. Because, like monarchy, it's unlikely to stay "for the people" and will soon enough become a government of the military, by the military, for the big boss.
Furthermore, speaking for the survival of the union, U.S. soldiers are not supposed to have 'political views'. Making your military the sole voters is highly questionable, I'm thinkin':
"What they didn't elect my good buddy Bob"??? "Well F*** you, Mother F***ers; 20 nukes, coming your way"! Bye Bye Union, Bye Bye Democracy.

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steel
Member # 3342

No, you see, we already place restrictions on who can run for office and who can vote. Anyone who wants the vote in a veteran-vote only society only has to join the military that's the beauty of it. See, with a veteran-vote society, social mobility is just as easy, and we also ensure that the people who can vote are actually qualified to vote, and we confirm that those who have a say in a community also are willing to defend that community, and have the best intrests of everyone, not just themselves, in mind.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steel
Member # 3342

O, and the people don't vote until they're veterans, i.e, out of the army.

So while they may shout "F*** you, Mother F***ers!" they sure as f*** won't have any nukes to launch.

Reed Richards
Member # 3514

- posted      Profile for Reed Richards   Email Reed Richards         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with a military voting system is that it could lead to instigating wars simply to open up jobs for new voters.
Posts: 135 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abyss
Member # 3086

No, the real problem, Reed, is what to do about disabled people. The disabled (blind, deaf crippled, etc) may be just as willing to serve and protect their community as everynoe else, but its not right to disqualify them from the vote simply because they can't serve in the military.
Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Per an acquaintance:
quote:
"Starship Trooper" is a book of irony. The society that they have it in is BEING MOCKED for its rigid authoritarian values.

[This message has been edited by LadyDove (edited February 09, 2003).]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah..., but Abyss, Steel may indeed have a point, after all there are many ways to serve in an increasingly modern, hi-tech military. If the mind's not fully intact, we don't want them voting, and if it is fully intact, there's guaranteed to be a job.
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vampyr1818
Member # 4592

- posted      Profile for Vampyr1818   Email Vampyr1818         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.
Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Users101
Member # 4546

- posted      Profile for Users101   Email Users101         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone's mind is fully intact..... except for maybe physically disabled people...

Jeez, just cause they're different doesn't mean they're crazy.

They just learned something you didn't learn...

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Users101
Member # 4546

Plus, you guys keep talking about monsters and crazy people and stuff....

I've never met such a thing in my life....

Where do u get your ideas from????
I think the blame rests completely on things you were forced to permanently learn in childhood that have screwed up your thinking completely...

How can we have a democracy when our kids are taught by pro-dictatorship teachers that do anything they feel like doing and try to beat things like math into your head....

Plus, I've noticed that people who don't know me have been treating me very oddly ever since I got a minor cold a couple of days ago. That's the entire thing.... can't you guys ever tell the difference between emotional and physical stuff? It's really silly when people start imitating little physical things.....

That's a thing that's really good about those more environmental-type societies... They're smart enough to tell the difference between emotions and just little physical things....

I've noticed that Irish-Chinese-British type people treat me completely differently than non-those types of people. Other people see certain things and they just think it's "cool".... those more environmental-ish type people actually get the difference between emotional actions and pointless mockery-type little physical things.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Users101
Member # 4546

That's the entire thing about the silly imitations and stuff...

I've never seen a british/irish-ish/whatever type person do any of those silly imitations... cause they understand that's it's just a little physical thing that I have to do even though I don't really think about it and there's no emotional attachment to it...

Whereas other people will mock things over and over again without learning a damn thing... plus, those other people don't understand a single thing I do...

Cause to them, there aren't ever emotional reasons for doing things....

That's wrong though, cause emotional things can be connected to the real world very easily.... That's why britain was such a strong empire for a while.... and that's also why the original protestant Americans came from Britain...

And there's still a lot more to it.........
A lot of stuff that normal people just discard as crazy cause it hasn't been proven yet.......

suntranafs
Member # 3318

Crimany! What are you mouthing off about? I, at least, WAS talking about mentally disabled people! And I'm sure you're right about it being immoral to brand people as crazy because they're different or emotional, though I'm not sure how it pertains to this topic. Unless you mean we should let ALL crazy people vote, in which case I'd have to disagree with you. Reason being that a few of the people they call crazy are actually, well, crazy! Unfortunatly, though a completely insane sociopath could be stopped from getting in to the army, a psychopath might not be stopped. You can't have everything. Personally I really fail to see how crazy people enter into the equation. If they're really crazy, we don't want 'em in the army or voting, but if they're just a bit... different, and they want to serve their county, then let them, by gum!
Steel
Member # 3342

Reading back, I don't even see how crazies got into the picture at all. No one ever said anything about crazies. It just kind of randomly jumped into the thread...

Anyhow, I'm not sure that a blind-deaf person could really participate in any part of the military, unfortunately. Perhaps in recruiting or something...?

Reed Richards
Member # 3514

- posted      Profile for Reed Richards   Email Reed Richards         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you're making ho-hum, do nothing jobs available to cripples, why not to everyone? Why not give out the "democratic franchise" to anyone capable of sitting on their arse in an office job?

You said that the idea was to give the 'franchise' to people who were willing to stand up and fight for what they beleive in, and for their country. Why give cripples a free ride?

Posts: 135 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adyss
Member # 4656

- posted      Profile for Adyss           Edit/Delete Post 
Man this website is harsh!
Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
siece
Member # 4525

Wee! Things went off into left field fast.

Where to begin?

To start, I never said military service was the best way of determining citizenship. If I took the time to think about it, I could probably come up with several better ones, starting with just a test to see if the potential citizen has even the slightest clue.

On the issue of handicapped persons being able to obtain citizenship...I have a physical disability, so I'm speaking from experience when I say that this is not an insurmountable barrier.

Mental disabilities are another matter. My stepbrother's mom had pneumonia while she was pregnant. Given a choice between her dying or her child having severe birth defects, the doctors chose to save her life. As a result, my brother's brain stopped developing near the end of the first trimester. He honestly wouldn't know or care whether he was a citizen or not.

On the other hand, 50% of the population has below average intelligence. Most of these are OK people who are just a bit dim. There certainly has to be a point where you say, "You must be at least this smart to vote", but we could probably agrue all day about where that line should be drawn.

Probably the best course of action would be to administer a test to see if the person understands the issues involved and the candidates' platforms. Those who pass can vote, and the ones who don't can't. Maybe this could even be done on an issue by issue basis.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

That is Exactly the solution I would expect from someone who's part of an organization that thinks you can really measure inteligence with a written test. I assume that's what you're talking about, a written test? And the majority of people elegible to vote would be like you. Highly eduacted, generally intelligent, and, by and large, rather deficient in real life experience. Of course it's true that there are other types of tests, and much more accurate methods of measuring inteligence, but certainly no infallible ones.

The logical [Yes, Siece, I just said LOG(loj)-I(ih)-CAL(cal)] falacy of an inteligence test is that the principle of such tests assumes that the creators have flawless inteligence, which, in the opinion of most, is untrue. These so called "inteligence" tests are acually stupidity tests. They measure how much less that the testee knows than the tester. Being of finite length and finite perfection, they are unable to measure how much more the testee knows. A perfect score on such a test indicates only that the person being tested has been EDUCATED on every question on the test, or in general, the testee has been EDUCATED on the particular subject to the same degree, in the same way, as the creator(s) have.

If education was inteligence, a test would be great for determining who could vote. But it isn't. It can aid the inteligent, it can help inteligence to grow, but without inteligence, it is nothing. The reverse is not true. There are highly inteligent people, who would make fine voters, who have been educated far less than you or I, or at least comletely differently.

[This message has been edited by suntranafs (edited February 17, 2003).]

sergesantgiggles
Member # 4672

- posted      Profile for sergesantgiggles   Email sergesantgiggles         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay. Im new.

About the thing for veterans only voting, I think you are missing its point. Military service would not determine intelligence in any way. It would determine the value the person places on the privilege of voting. A non-citizen, in Heinlein's book, has all the rights under law that a Citizen would have except the right to vote and the right to hold public office. Theoretically, then only one who places the future of his nation higher on his list of priorities than his personal life and liberty would determine the future and leadership of that nation.

What are the problems with this? First, as Reed Richards stated, there is no 'risking life and limb' if there isnt war. Heinlein says that the majority of recruits would not even be soldiers but have some equally dangerous and unenviable duty for their right to vote. That, to me, makes no sense. We really cannot make torture camps(not really, but what else would you call them) just to verify that certain individuals really think that voting is important. Such a government could even go so far as to engineer a "xenomorphic" race so that potential voters have someone to fight...

The other problem, of cripples, is a surmountable problem in our day and I forsee that it will diminish and then vanish as artificial limbs, eyes, ears, etc. are perfected. In Heinleins book, all or most desk jobs are performed by civilians or soldiers whose primary mission is fighting in some form, which makes sense. As for today, who says that a physically disabled person cannot drive a tank, fly a plane, shoot an artillery cannon, or some other non-infantry combat duty? I dont think blindness or deafness can be handled with todays technology, but then again I dont see the state Heinlein described today either.

Siece, how would you determine who is smart enough to vote and who isnt?

Also, how would a person that ignores public opinion be able to get and stay in power, short of military force?

"Next, he'll need an absolute respect for individual rights, but none at all for the law. All of the world's Great Leaders (Caesar, Lincoln, Washington, Churchill, etc.) became great because, when pushed, they were willing to tell the Constitution (or whatever law applied) to go to Hell, but at the same time, they had enough respect for the People that they did not become dictators."

This scares me, just a little. First, what do you define as individual rights? Life, Liberty, and Property, as the (I think) Other Locke defined as the rights government should provide to its citizens and residents? Second, although I agree that the leaders you mentioned were great statesmen, throwing laws and more importantly constitutions out the window does more damage in the long run. Caesar probably would have reinstated the republic in an equal or better form, if he had lived long enough, but he did not, and therefore destroyed what was one of the better systems of government on the earth. Some Southern neo-confederacyists(hmm) would say quite the same of Lincoln. I dont know much about Churchill, other than the fact that he kicks ass.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abyss
Member # 3086

Always nice to see a new face.

You say 'smart' enough to vote. Right now, there is no 'smart' enough to vote. There is no IQ test, no literacy test.

Now, there used to be literacy tests, but those were repealed, and with good reason; they were basically a way to keep blacks from getting the vote, and that wasn't fair.

As I understand it, the veteran vote wasn't to ensure that they were 'smart' enough to vote, but, instead, that they were qualified to vote.

-Abyss

Abyss
Member # 3086

"...Man this website is harsh!..."

What's this, a clone? I'm flattered! Right down to the profile... ha, I never thought anyone looked at those!

Enders Star
Member # 4570

- posted      Profile for Enders Star   Email Enders Star         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just going to jump in here and state what one political philospopher once said. He said that humans cannot rule themselves they must have a strong Absolute Monarchy. People are wicked and cruel naturally they must have a leader!
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sergesantgiggles
Member # 4672

- posted      Profile for sergesantgiggles   Email sergesantgiggles         Edit/Delete Post 
..who happens to buck human nature and NOT be wicked und cruel....

[This message has been edited by sergesantgiggles (edited February 20, 2003).]

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed Richards
Member # 3514

Enders Star, you forget that Hobbes wasn't objectively looking at society, he was justifying monarchy. Later, after witnessing horrible violence at the hands of the King, Hobbes wrote a very different view of the government.
Enders Star
Member # 4570

- posted      Profile for Enders Star   Email Enders Star         Edit/Delete Post 
I was simply making a comment, what he said later on has no affect on what I was stating. I was simply reffering to what he said at this point in time. Don't make me angry. It doesn't change the fact of what I was saying. One persons idea may change but othersmay feel the same way. Who gives a **** if he changed his mind when I know others who feel the same way.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatcher7135
Member # 4680

- posted      Profile for hatcher7135   Email hatcher7135         Edit/Delete Post 
you stupid people! why are you into this crap! this is so stupid to spend your time writing all this bull!
Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sergesantgiggles
Member # 4672

you went to the trouble of registering on this forum just to tell me and everyone else that I am stupid? Apparently you care more about this bs than you let on....

Yawn. I might as well ramble on about something. Ender's star, how are people (who are naturally wicked and cruel) pick a leader who is not? If they see someone who is not, why would they choose him? Absolute Monarchy traditionally is carried on by bloodline, so there is NO guarantee (or even favorable chance) that a King's son will be NOT wicked and cruel. So the only choices left are that the non-wickedcrueltype man will rise to the top naturally or some system of election.

In either system, the potential King must gain the favor, or at least support, of people with normal human nature.

(I have read the topic, so I wish to be smacked if redundancy is evident in my posting.)

So I ask this as a question, and not a tool of sarcasm: How would such a leader be moved to the top?

[This message has been edited by sergesantgiggles (edited February 21, 2003).]

Steel
Member # 3342

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Such discord in such a wonderful thread! Such disaster in such a reputable forum! Oh, the shame of it all...
Enders Star
Member # 4570

Since you seem so bored by your BS then please ramble on some more to only show that you are filling my boots with to much BS to go around. And to answer your question Pariliament or the fact that they needed a ruler. Look at France they needed a strong ruler after Louis 16 am i right and then they got Napoleon. Who I can guarantee did not have full support of the people, till after his victories. Then again look at England, I hope I'm correct if not I appologze for the bs stuff, Charles 1 was strong yet corrupt with his ppl and lead to Civil war then Cromwell came without the support of the ppl and ruled dictatorly. Then you have Charles 2 who actually had the support of the ppl. Think of these ppl not supported by public and ruled for long periods of time, or am I straying from your question, I think I am.
sergesantgiggles
Member # 4672

Im sorry, Steel. Good point, ES.

[This message has been edited by sergesantgiggles (edited February 22, 2003).]

siece
Member # 4525

Suntranafs wrote:
>That is Exactly the solution I would expect
>from someone who's part of an organization
>that thinks you can really measure
>inteligence with a written test. I assume
>that's what you're talking about, a written
>test?

Actually, I was thinking more of an information check than an intelligence check. For example, in the last election here we had Measure G on the ballot. In the system I described, you could vote on Measue G if you knew what it was, as well as how approving it or not would affect the community.

It wouldn't take any particular intelligence. Around here, it wouldn't even take any extra effort, because the county sends out a voter's information pamphlet a few weeks before every election which provides a brief description of everything being voted on, along with essays from parties for and against each measure.

The test wouldn't need to be in any specific format, so accomodations could be made for the illiterate, those who don't speak the local language, and so on.

Any other objections?

sergesantgiggles
Member # 4672

If you take the test and fail, are you screwed over until the next election?
siece
Member # 4525

That depends on what you means by screwed over.

On the one hand, you wouldn't be able to vote on this issue.

On the other hand, if you don't understand the issue, if you did vote, then it would only be a crap shoot. You'd have a ((n-1)/n)% chance of screwing yourself over, where n = the number of possible options you can choose.

In a simple yes or no vote, this would be only a 50% chance. If the vote had three choices, the chances of screwing yourself jump to 66%. It would be a 75% chance of screwing up for four possible decisions, and so on.

Personally, I wouldn't bet on those odds. Would you?

sergesantgiggles
Member # 4672

Love the numbers.

My language sucks. First insulting Jesus and destroying a perfectly good thread that deserved to live, and now this.

What I meant was can(better should you be able to) you come back later and retake the test?

suntranafs
Member # 3318

Could you be a little more explicit on what you mean by this?
For example, "Whether you know what ammendment G is or not".
What defines that? How do you test?

Steel
Member # 3342

Personally, I like your logic, Seice. However...

"In the system I described, you could vote on Measue G if you knew what it was, as well as how approving it or not would affect the community."

These tests, while a good idea, could easily be rigged by the creators to make certain that only people in favor of the bill are allowed to vote on it.

"A Bill to Ban Abortion."

Multiple Choice: A fetus becomes a human when...
a) it is conceived
b) it's heart first beats
c) third trimester
d) birth

Also, your odds do not account for a simple fact of democracy: there is no right answer. Saying that you have a 2/3 chance for self-screwage in a 3-option vote is not accounting for the fact that, in the world we live in, all of the answers may be correct.

Steel
Member # 3342

Forgive my use of the term: self-screwage.
siece
Member # 4525

sergesantgiggles wrote:
>What I meant was can(better should you be
>able to) you come back later and retake the
>test?

Sure. As long as you do it before the polls close.

suntranafs wrote:
>For example, "Whether you know what
>ammendment G is or not".
>What defines that? How do you test?

In the example I've been using, Measure G was a bond measure. If it passed (it did, in case you were wondering), Kern Country would sell $180 million worth of bonds, and use the money to improve and repair the facilities at three community college campuses around the county.

The downside of this is that everyone's taxes will go up by about $5.31 to pay for those bonds when they mature.

To see if someone "understands" what the measure is, they would basically need to be able to say what the money is being spent on, as well as how much of it is coming out of their own personal pocket to pay for it.

Steel wrote:
>Also, your odds do not account for a simple
>fact of democracy: there is no right
>answer. Saying that you have a 2/3 chance
>for self- screwage in a 3-option vote is
>not accounting for the fact that, in the
>world we live in, all of the answers may be
>correct.

In that sense, voting is a lot like taking tests in upper division college classes. All of the answers are correct, but one is more correct than the others. No professor I've ever heard of gives partial credit for a right answer that's not the one that's most right. So, too, in voting.

If you need examples of why the other right answers are wrong, take a close look at any of the laws passed in the U.S. to prevent descrimination. On the surface, they look like a pretty good idea, and they're a definite improvement over the way things were. In the long term, however, every one of those laws ends up having the exact opposite result of what it was intended to accomplish.

If you're really interested, I can tell you dozens of horror stories from personal experience about handicapped accessability laws gone wrong.

Enders Star
Member # 4570

Regarding your multiple choice question Steel, I want you to know that people see it as a new born baby, maybe a preacher maybe a great leaders maybe someone who will save hundreds! "why should we kill these future heros?" some say. What if it turns out to be another Hitler? another Saddam Hussien? Personally I will not stand behind or against ppl who have abortions. They have the right to what they want. So let them do it before the future human can feel it.
suntranafs
Member # 3318

Sorry Seice, I'm afraid Steel's right, tests are to easy to manipulate.
As someone who believes, for a large part, in nature rather than nurture, let me bring something back up that I believe I discussed a while ago. First, make a whole government agency based on fairly reporting the actions of the government. Second, rather than requireing that everybody pass a test, make a law that says people HAVE TO educate themselves about the government actions.
I think this plan has (A): a much better chance of working correctly, and (B): will produce results that are at least as good as if the other plan worked perfectly, probably better. What you'd have instead of 500,000,000 smart voters would be 2,000,000,000 smarter voters.

siece
Member # 4525

Technically, since Hitler has been mentioned, this discussion should have ended then and there. However, since you've already broken that rule, I might as well reply anyway...

suntranafs wrote:
>Sorry Seice, I'm afraid Steel's right,
>tests are to easy to manipulate.

That's why you have watchdog groups.

>First, make a whole government agency based
>on fairly reporting the actions of the
>government.

How? You have the same problem here that you have in making the tests, only worse. With the test, a person can go out and get the information from multiple sources, and form their own opinion. When there's only one official source, the "truth" is whatever that source says it is. Kind of like a real life George Orwell novel.

>Second, rather than requireing that
>everybody pass a test, make a law that says
>people HAVE TO educate themselves about the
>government actions.

*laughs* I'm sorry, but life just doesn't work that way. There are already laws that say people have to get educations, and yet almost two thirds of high school graduates are still functionally illiterate, and even most college graduates aren't as well educated as someone who completed only the eighth grade before those laws were inacted.

To recoin an old phrase, you can lead a student to knowledge, but you can't make him learn.

Steel
Member # 3342

"Technically, since Hitler has been mentioned, this discussion should have ended then and there."

Don't remember that rule... after all, Hitler is still a bad person, even though we already discussed him. For variety sake, I suppose, one might avoid mentioning something twice... but it doesn't invalidate an argument.

"That why you have watchdog groups."

Who would do what, exactly? Try to pass a test to pass a law changing the test requirements to pass another law? Excess red tape. And besides, they're already manipulating the tests; who's to say they won't manipulate the tests for the watchdog group?

"You can lead a student to knowledge, but you can't make him learn."

Bingo.

And, harkening to an earlier post,

"Voting is a lot like taking tests in upper division college classes. All of the answers are correct, but one is more correct than the others. No professor I've ever heard of gives partial credit for a right answer that's not the one that's most right. So, too, in voting."

Problem is: who's the professor? Who ultimately decides right from wrong? Who is empowered to say anyone's opinion is greater than mine, or greater than yours?

If one man or one organization is creating these tests, his veiw is undoubtedly the 100% "correct" veiw; I don't buy it. That man, that organization, eliminates the need for a vote. They have already determined what is "right". Why not cut out the middle man, eliminate the voter?

Because we live in a democracy. We vote because we beleive no one man has any greater say than any other, regardless of intelligence. In Florida, the voters decided it was wrong to separate a pregnant pig from the others. They were missing a key point, that pregnant pigs kill other pigs; regardless, just one sacrifice we make to live in free society. I was in the minority on that vote.

Who am I to say that the anti-pigpenning lobby is wrong? What makes my opinion more valid?

Nothing. A democracy is governed by numbers: by the majority. Who is to decide that one opinion, one group, is right and the others are wrong? I wouldn't give up that freedom, ever.

[This message has been edited by Steel (edited March 11, 2003).]

An-Arche
Member # 4501

- posted      Profile for An-Arche   Email An-Arche         Edit/Delete Post 
ditto
Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

Steel, I realize the point you're tryiing to make, and it's a valid one, but we've already been through this: You and I and a hundred other hatrackers go off to the land of alakazam and start up I a democracy based on majority rule. Some time later, I and 52 other hatrackers decide that we should be able to kill anybody we ant whenever we want. It goes to a vote, and, of course, passes. Democracy, majority rule, worthless government. That's why we really have to clarify what we mean by democracy and add "minority right". Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I didn't feel like that should stand un-qualified.

Siece stated: 'When there's only one official source, the "truth" is whatever that source says it is. Kind of like a real life George Orwell novel.'
I simply don't believe that. George Orwell's book gave me nightmares. Almost nothing gives me nightmares like that. I do not think it was realistic. Why should we even have this discussion if you don't have a little more faith in the human race(Either in its goodness or its extreme individual selfishness) than that? The media would still be there to express all the views of the world.

"How"?[do you make an institution based on fairly reporting the actions of the government]. Easy. You require that they report only the facts. They can bastardize news like "the cow flew off the roof", but let them just try to corrupt 2+2=4 without getting caught. There will be no headlines. No front page. No pictures. No humor. No opinions. Just what the government did that could possibly affect the lives of its citizens would be in one section, and extremely trivial ones in abother section. Nothing's infallable. They can still bastardize "possibly affect", but severe restrictions can be made, penalties can be made for errors/deceptions, and differenials from the facts can be made very small.

"you can lead a student to knowledge, but you can't make him learn."
OK, so I was wrong for once. There's rarely a positive effect of making a law that you're unwilling to enforce. I overlooked that, 'cause, damn, it sure would be nice wouldn't it? If we could just get them to read, they'd eventually understand. Actually the way I came up with that idea was in a government with a whole whole lot less people, where you actually could enforece such a law without abusing human rights..... maybe anything that's possible small scale is possible large scale.... that hasn't been very well demonstrated... YET.

Steel
Member # 3342

I admire your idealism.

1. Your democracy of Alakazam does indeed violate civilian rights. However, the majority (albeit by a slim margin) have determined that random homicide is the correct way to govern. I disagree; therefor, I do not live in Alakazam. However, if you live in and are commited to a democracy, you must accept the 'tyranny of the majority'.

As they say, "Democracy is the worst form of government... except for all the other ones."

Little sacrifices, big flaws. Facts of life. Oh well.

quote:
The media would still be there to express all the views of the world.
Not in Seice's presupposition. His premise is that we trust in only one source, the test-maker or sooth-sayer or govt. reporter or whathave you, and that they could corrupt the truth in any way they wanted. True. Has happened... Pravda, communist Russia. No other news, no other media. Just the one truth-sayer, who can pull lies out of his ass and pass them off as fruitcake. No go.

3. An honest government-run governtment reporting agency... a great idea, but impossible to pull off. You suppose that they have two simple factual sections: "Things That Could Possibly Affect You", and "Trivial Govt. Stuff"

"Things That may Affect You"

Government Actions:

1. Will now require bicycle helmets be worn.

2. Outlawed skateboarding in public restrooms.

3. Decreased penalty for horse-theft.

4. Changed Main Street speed limit to 45 mph.

5. Increased Taxes

[etc]

552. Declared Mar. 5th "Green Tea Day".

553. Will now require Braille on driver's liscenses.

End of Government Actions that may Influence Your Life.

Trivial Govt. Crap:

1. Razed Ms. Johnson's orange tree; disease.

2. Criticized Cheif sanitation minister of Main Street.

3. Fixed city hall bathrooms, the second toilet to the left wasn't flushing properly.

[etc.]

347. Outlawed Abortion.

[etc.]

613. Outlawed Judaeism.

[etc.]

End of Trivial Govt. Crap. Thank you for reading the official newspaper of Arnold-America.

I hope that the inherent flaw was appalingly obvious.

quote:
maybe anything that's possible small scale is possible large scale.... that hasn't been very well demonstrated... YET.

I agree whole-heartedly. Take communism, for example. Works in small, Amish societies, and some farms in Israel benefit from it... but on large scales, it's bad politics and bad economics. Some structures succeed on a small scale, but fail on larger ones. Single-celled organisms outnumber humans Trillions upon Quatrillions to one, but they cannot grow to our size. Efficient on a small scale, failing at a larer one.

I truly admire your idealism and faith in our government, but question the practical applications of your principles.

OverMyHead
Member # 4586

- posted      Profile for OverMyHead   Email OverMyHead         Edit/Delete Post 
All This Talk Of Needing A Hegemon And Where Is He Has Got Me Thinking About Some Of The Lines Of That Foo Fighters Song "Learn To Fly"(Possibly because It's Playing).

Looking To The Sky To Save Me
Looking Cause I'm Tired Of Trying

I'm Mean It Seems Like Everyone Is Giving Up On Humanity And Trying To Thrust Power Into Someone Elses Hands. We Should Be A Little More Like Path, Metaphorically, We Must All Pick The Rice. Literally, We Have To Get Our Hands Dirty If Not For The Greater Good Of Humanity, Than To Honor Those Who Have. Seriously, Even If We Had A Perfect World I Would Protest In Honor Of People Like Benjamin Franklin, Or Abbie Hoffman. Just To Show I Don't Take My Life For Granted, That I Pay Homage To Those Who Tried To Make It What It Has Become. Sorry, I'll Wrap it Up. In Short, Don't Wait For A Hegemon To Change The World, Get Off Your Lazy Ass And Make The World What You Want It.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed Richards
Member # 3514

I Love The All-Caps Style. I Have To Say, It Shows That You Put A Lot Of Effort Into Your Post.

Your Message, That "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves", Or, Essentially, "We're All Locke, In Our Own Way." Is A Good One. But It Ignores Our Need, A Very Real Need, For A Leader.

OverMyHead
Member # 4586

- posted      Profile for OverMyHead   Email OverMyHead         Edit/Delete Post 
What I Was Saying Was That We Should All Be Our Own Leaders. That When We Obviously Are Upset With The Rulers We Should Work To Overthrow Them And Put In A System That We Like And Works. The True Leaders Only Show When The People Have Decided That The One They Have Is Wrong. Who Would Napolean Have Been If There Was Never A Revolution? We Must Get The Ball Rolling For The Good Leaders To Arise. And Thanks, I've Been Getting Hassled Over The Caps Thing.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.