FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Where is our Locke? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Where is our Locke?
Abyss
Member # 3086

- posted      Profile for Abyss   Email Abyss         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only read the first book, so I don't know. I liked it.

There are some little SPOILERS ahead, but I'll keep them to a minimum.

Anyway, those who have read it, or have some vague idea of what I'm talking about, remember Nicolae Carpathia before we absolutely knew he was the AntiChrist? I think that's a good Hegemon, right there. A good model for one anyway.

Knowledgable, intelligent, peace + disarmament as their ultimate goal...

Anyone?

Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Humph. An armed society is a polite society.
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
An unarmed society is a society in fear.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abyss
Member # 3086

Thats the thing. Nicolae's plan was: all countries destroy 90 percent of all nuclear arms, and donate the rest to the UN (the Hegemony) for peace keeping purposes.

Sounds like a great plan... except that it put a whole friggin' bunch of nukes at the AntiChrist's disposal.

But take a less demonic Carpathia and apply the same plan...?

-Abyss

Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abyss
Member # 3086

The Hegemony would hopefully be well designed w/ checks and balances, hopefully a just and fair government, which we would trust with the remainder of nukes. Useing America for an analogie, would america trust california to launch nukes? Does the governor of any state have that kind of power?

Does he live in fear because he does not have that power?

Reed Richards
Member # 3514

- posted      Profile for Reed Richards   Email Reed Richards         Edit/Delete Post 
Just rhetorically, or do you not know?
Posts: 135 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again, I've been gone awhile. Abyss, was your question rhetorical? Certainly California has no power to launch nukes, and in a federalist system, could not have. Forgive me if I seem to be contradicting myself, but nukes are really really dangerous. In fact, as far as the humans vs. humans on planet earth scenario is concerned, I do not forsee a condition even remotely justifying their use. Another(perhaps better) reason for limiting nukes is that, unlike guns, they may kill people without being fired. They decay. Nukes are obviously a huge angle of this issue. Incredibly, one that I had not thorughly realized. If there is one world govenment, one organization, in charge of having but not using nukes... hmmm... a chalenging question, requiring some thought,(for me anyway) I'll get back to ya'll . Ideas anyone?

[This message has been edited by suntranafs (edited July 26, 2002).]

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarigwaemir
Member # 3870

- posted      Profile for tarigwaemir   Email tarigwaemir         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me if you addressed this point before, but I was just wondering how you expected the nations of the world to entrust their nuclear weapons to a world government? I mean, the whole reason for the ineffectiveness of the UN lies in the repeated invocations of national sovereignty.

If we're considering the possibility or the basis for a world government, that is the barrier to be overcome first. How do you get China, the U.S., Russia--heck, even the small and tiny nations like Cote d'Ivoire--to willingly submit to the power of any individual, no matter how charismatic? It was possible to set up a Hegemony in the Ender universe because there was a common threat to all nations: the Buggers. Without a common threat, how is any of this possible?

Posts: 30 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

Tarig: We've pretty well hammered the question of why, and we've hit the question of what pretty well, but before we move on to the equally legitimate question of how, I'd really like to get this nukes thing figured out.
suntranafs
Member # 3318

Still no solutions anyone?
Vampyr18
Member # 3694

- posted      Profile for Vampyr18   Email Vampyr18         Edit/Delete Post 
i don't know if at this point its even realistic to discuss a hegemon. I for one think America and the other either powerful, power hungry, or crazy nations(by crazy i mean nations that have nukes and money up to here and have know idea how to use it) would even consider the idea of a hegemon. people want power and won't just give in to one leader. But i believe that in the future after everything in the Middle East is settled and we have at least a minor grip on the crazy, powerhungry, and dangerous nations of the world a hegemon would be useful. I love the idea and believe it would be a great step for humanity, heck, i;m not sure anything will ever we settled, i think at this point if people keep going on the same track, we are all going to destroy each other.
Posts: 279 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarigwaemir
Member # 3870

- posted      Profile for tarigwaemir   Email tarigwaemir         Edit/Delete Post 
Just as long as we're not even considering the idea of "how?", I think complete disarmament is a good option. Very unlikely, maybe even downright impossible, but that is what I'd prefer. Of course, the threat of nuclear weapons won't go away, since we'll still have nuclear energy.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

Ok, I'm stalling. Never mind. We'll discuss nukes later.
How to Unite the World, Initial step(s),(tentative): Aquire influential connections in strategic places in attempt to unite (most of, at least) Europe. Unite all of the 'third' political parties in the U.S. into one, and/or reform either the democratic or republican parties. In so doing, choose and elect a president of the U.S. as well as possibly several choice members of congress. From the new and powerfull U.S. position, stongly suggest and support the creation of a European state. Further suggest and support the unification of the European state, Canada, and the U.S. under the democratic government already covered to a degree in the "what" section of this discussion. Also activate the European influences in the latter step; it may take a while, but it will happen if it appears to have genuine support from both sides at once. If the government is sound and moral, it will get accepted, if slowly, because smart people who have the ability to make things happen recognize a good idea when they see one.
Well folks, it's all downhill from there. Eastern Europe, Russia, and Australia would quickly and easily jump on the bandwagon. The Carribean Islands, most of the rest of oceania, India, South Africa, south and central America would join as soon as they saw the benefits they would reap from superior technology and economy. Forgive me if I'm missing anybody, but the main powerfull groups you have left are The Radical Muslim states, the Moderate Muslim states, the tribal peoples of Africa+SoutheastAsia, Israel(?), and of course, China. To Be Continued...
Yeah I know I'm simplifying things a little, but otherwise, how am I doing so far?

[This message has been edited by suntranafs (edited July 27, 2002).]

BootNinja
Member # 2296

- posted      Profile for BootNinja   Email BootNinja         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you've got it a bit backward. I somehow think that Israel would jump on the bandwagon before Russia would.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarigwaemir
Member # 3870

I think you have the right idea--I always imagined a world government would form from regional mulitnational organizations like NATO or EU, too. But I think there's a major stumbling block: considering the anti-UN sentiment which is popular in the US, wouldn't many Americans oppose the creation of any supernational government that supersedes American sovereignty?

I think your idea is to pick the right leaders with enough charisma to push forward for a world government, right? But would there be enough people like that in America? It would work if there was enough support...which would mean intense PR campaigns and a substantial change in American attitudes towards international relations. Because any multinational government would require some decrease in U.S. influence and power in global politics; otherwise the government would only be a U.S. puppet.

Humani
Member # 3892

- posted      Profile for Humani           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone, I just read through this thread from the beginning to end.

The last point on this thread seems to be a unified "western" governmemt as a step toward a unified world government. What kind of powers would the western government have? Where would you put in geographically? Would each person have an equal vote? how would it be set up? e.g. does each state in the US, Canada and country/and or state in Europe elect their representatives, and then those representatives elect European/North ameriacn level representatives, and these form a sort of coalition? or is it more direct, e.g. each citizen of Europe/north maerica gets one vote to elect a "western hegemon"? Would there be pollitical parties, or does the hegemon stand as an individual? What would you do on major issues where Europe and USA disagree?

When I ask where would it be geographically, it may not seem important, but phsycolgically it seems so. I mean in the EU, the European government is in Brussels, and also in Strasburg. All the änti-unification" articles refere to giving powers to Brussels, even thought Brussels and Belgium have no more power than other countries of the EU. How would you persuade European to be governmed from the USA, or Americans to be governed from Europe. Either would be very hard. Or would you have the different branches of the government in different countries?

[This message has been edited by Humani (edited July 30, 2002).]

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humani
Member # 3892

Hey, I was just thinking, maybe instead of the United Government starting by EU and USA, maybe it will start in Russia? Is this possible? Notice how Russia is saying to the EU "We are European too, we belong together" They are saying to China, "we are brothers" and have made the mutual defence treaty, they are co-operating with USA's "war on terrorism", and suggesting a sort of unofficial allience. Maybe it will be Russia, who can make friends will all the major powers and bring them together? They are even keeping thei option open in the Arab countries, by being against attack on Iraq, and having Nulcear plants in Iran etc. Maybe Russia is the answer?
Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BootNinja
Member # 2296

I think sun has the right idea. The world government, when it becomes reality, will have to work from a position of power. Russia's only power right now comes from its huge nuclear arsenal. Yet still, most countries consider Russia to be something of a joke. They appease her to keep from being blown up, but esp. the US doesn't take Russia all that seriously. This might make it tough for them to come out superior.

I can see, however, China finding a way possibly through conquest of creating a world government. Esp. if America over extends herself in this war on Terrorism.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humani
Member # 3892

USA thinks Russia is "a joke", because they have no money. They have just changed from state controlled, to free market economy, or are on the way. This is a difficult change so will take some time. Russia is trying to attract inverstment from USA and EU. Also they might join the EU, and adopt the Euro, this would give them a big single market, with no import costs, and they have huge resources. I think if they would do this, they could become economically more stable, and competitive. There is no reason for them to stay "a joke". And they don't really have an enemies anymore, not on idealogocal issues. USA, (Europe?) and China have more enemies.

tarigwaemir
Member # 3870

If China overcomes its recent economic setbacks and recovers its cultural dominance in Asia, I would definitely place my bets on China. I have to admit, I'm biased. My parents, being Korean, have a "Asiacentric" perspective, and they have told me, ever since I was little, that if China continued on its path to economic growth, then that region of the world would eventually become the next great world center.

I think this isn't quite as unreasonable as it may sound. I live in America, but I have contact with people in various parts of East Asia, and there is a gradually evolving Asian pop culture. Chinese and Taiwanese singers, Korean hip-hop bands, Japanese anime and toys...these fads may seem trivial but I think they're contributing to a sense of common identity among the people in that region. This would indeed be one step towards a multinational government. Of course, it may never jump the gap from a regional entity to a global one. Still, it's not such an impossible idea.

As for Humani's point about geography, I always imagined a Western world government being centered in New York. All right, I'm biased on this too. But New York is so cosmopolitan that it tends to have less of a specific national loyalty than other major cities. I mean, you can walk for blocks without hearing any English in some parts of the city. On the other hand, a better option may be to station branches of the government in different cities. Sort of the way parts of the UN are in Geneva? Except more widespread? I think that could be a good idea too.

Question: how would this world government gain military power? Would there be a separate standing army? Contributions of troops from member nations? The latter is a bit dangerous, though.

Humani
Member # 3892

I agree with tarigwaemir, that Chinese culture identity is popular. Many people (inlcuding in USA and EU) have TThirts or tatoes with chinese symbols etc I think the attraction to China is for it's culture and identity and anchient history, and not for it's politics though. For a Chinese-based world government to be more acceptable, they would have to improve faster on democracy and human rights, unless they were going to rule only by fear/military?

If/When China is democratic, it would also be a good choice. They have to alot to create loyalty to.

Humani
Member # 3892

As for the military. I don't know anything about military, but I think it would have to be directly from the world government, otherwise if the countries didn't agree, they would only withhold their troops. Or the country with the biggest army (USA??) would be the one who was deciding where to commit troups, rather than the world government, so it would be the same as now.
Humani
Member # 3892

Geographical location of World Government

Are there clearly defined world regions do you think? So maybe there could be 1 department in each region? That way it would be less orientated or associated with one country it was based in.

e.g.
1.North America
2.Central America
3.South America
4.Europe
5.Arab Countries
6.Africa
7.Central/Western Asia (Russia, Caucasus..)
8. South Asia (India, Pakistan..)
9. China
10.South East Asia (ASEAN)
11.Australia + NewZealand

What's missed out? where would Japan fit in? Should Central and South America be the same region?
[Changed "latin" to central, Latin america is south america, right?]

[This message has been edited by Humani (edited July 31, 2002).]

BootNinja
Member # 2296

I think that Japan would probably get thrown in with the Chinese. Not necessarily a good fit, but Us western guys tend not to see the subtle differences between chinese and Japanese culture/history.

Personally I think that the subdivisions you've mentioned would be like a secondary level. The primary level should be separated by Continent.

1.) The Americas
2.) Africa
3.) Europe
4.) Australia/NZ
5.) Asia
6.) Micronesia/Polynesia/Indonesia

and I'd probably throw russia in there as a separate one just because.

Humani
Member # 3892

Also how would it work? Would there be global democracy, with everyone having one vote?
Someone said something about it being like the USA, having 2 houses. I'm not in the USA, how does that work? who votes? Is it one house is voted for by people (one person, one vote), and one is voted for by state (each state has the same number of votes regardless of population)? But also don't the borders of the states change occasionally, so that each state has about the same number of people. If you would do the same with countries, regions, I don't think you can go changing the borders to fit the population???? and each country has totally different numbers of people. e.g. China has 1.3. billion, vatican city has.. a few thousand. are they both only to have the same number of votes?? it doesn't seem fair. Also the USA is technically 1 country. The EU is 15 countries, so because they never declared EU to be one country they would get 15 times the number of votes as the USA. I think most of the people on this board are from the USA, what do you think of that?? It also is not fair. Please explain what you mean, by saying it will have 2 houses like the USA.

BootNinja
Member # 2296

ok, The two house system is quite simple, and very similar to the British Parliamentary system.

We have 3 branches of government. The executive (The president, Vice President, and the cabinet. This also covers law enforcement)

The Judicial(the courts)

and The Legislative (law making bodies)

our 2 house legislative system works this way.

First we have The House of Representatives. Each state gets a certain number of representatives based on population. This number of representatives is always the same, it is only the distribution that changes. That number is 540.

Next, is the Senate. Each state gets exacty two senators. No more, no less. This is a sort of check to give the smaller, less populous states a larger voice.

I don't believe that state borders have ever been changed to fit the population. There have been restructurings of borders, but not due to population. Virginia was split into two states over a disagreement on seccession during the civil war. Several New England States have been split in the past as part of a compromise over slavery issues, and my very own state, Texas, was chopped up into pieces when admitted into the union. But there hasn't been such a redrawing of the lines in more than 100 years. It wouldn't be an issue in the international Government.

As for your example of the EU having more votes because of more countries, that is immaterial. I seriously doubt that they would be united in every decision/vote.

Humani
Member # 3892

quote:
"As for your example of the EU having more votes because of more countries, that is immaterial. I seriously doubt that they would be united in every decision/vote".

But on things such as Kyoto (or some future equivelent), on ICC, on Isreal, genetically modified food, legality of death penalty, civilians owning guns.. etc there are many things that EU agrees on, which the USA disagrees on.

What if, when the world government gets more powerful, that some countries decide to split themselves into 2 or more countries to get more votes? Like if UK became England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, to get more votes?

Is it up to each individual country, how they define themselves as a country? If the UK were to say well already we are 4 countries, so we get 4 (or 8 if you get 2 each) votes. United kingdom, is a kingdom (??), not a country. Would this be allowed, if no real change within the UK?

But anyway, I think it is easier, and fairer if it is per person, rather than per country. what if one person were to declare themselves a country?? [OK probably this can't happen, considering how difficult palestine is finding it, to declare itself a counry] If each person has an equal vote, I think it is more fair. Or maybe it could be like 2 + (cetain fraction of population). So every country would get at least 2, then bigger (population) countries would get more.

And what areas do you think the world government should have power over? Trade rules, military, environment, human rights.. the kind of things we aready have international organisations for? Does the world government collect taxes, like in the shadown of the hedgemon. Would this be for things like famines in Africa, and other "emergencies"? or would this even be to provide social security in all countries?

BootNinja
Member # 2296

Personally, i feel that the EU should be treated as one entity. This is why in my breakdown I went by continent/culture rather than political organization.

Countries splitting to get more votes? That won't happen. to continue your previous analogy, you don't see states splitting to have better representation, because inevitably, the two would eventually disagree and would have the power to hinder rather than help the original. Plus, you are not taking into account the factor of nationalism/patriotism. Loyalty to one's nation is of paramount importance to most people. Barring some kind of civil unrest or political/religious persecution, a people will prefer to work within the existing state/system to make their changes. Nobody will be willing to forsake their country just to have an extra voice in the international government.

If you will remember, in all the recent examples of new nations coming about, you are not official, and you don't matter, until the other nations recognize your independant status. This is why civil wars are fought. To achieve independant recognition.

As to your proposal of a popular vote, or a certain number of votes based entirely on population, this is not any more fair. in this scenario, you get a huge populous country like China controlling the entire thing for their exclusive benefit and the detriment of the smaller less populous countries, like say Israel, or Rwanda or Lithuania. The two party system gives us majority rule but prevents the extremely large populations from dominating.

Something I neglected to mention about this system is that the way things work follows thus:

a law is first created in the house of representatives(based on the majority). Once they pass the bill, then it goes to the senate(2 each) where it can be halted. In this way, the smaller states get their voices heard, while still giving the larger states more representation than the smaller ones.

I'm sure you'll agree that this is more fair than a strictly populational system.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but I think it's the best we've got available. (if someone else has any other ideas about what's best, please step forward and present your ideas.)

BootNinja
Member # 2296

also, I forgot to mention this, but it is impractical to hold a popular vote on every single issue on a national scale, much less a global scale. it just isn't feasible. Takes too much time, manpower, and money. Would never happen.
Abyss
Member # 3086

Unless you use the internet. that's why Greek democracy failed: there are only so many people you can fit in a single ampitheatre.

But that's changed.

We transmit incredible amounts of information instantly and effortlessly. A popular vote of the people has become remarkably and surprisingly more feasible.

-Abyss

BootNinja
Member # 2296

Fair enough, but you still have the issues of security. It's a lot easier to forge votes in an electronic system than it is for a hand cast ballot. I personally don't feel that they are ready to spend the money on creating such a system as yet. And you know that there would be people trying to crack it the day it came out.
Humani
Member # 3892

First we have The House of Representatives. Each state gets a certain number of representatives based on population. This number of representatives is always the same, it is only the distribution that changes. That number is 540.

Next, is the Senate. Each state gets exacty two senators. No more, no less. This is a sort of check to give the smaller, less populous states a larger voice.
a law is first created in the house of representatives(based on the majority). Once they pass the bill, then it goes to the senate(2 each) where it can be halted. In this way, the smaller states get their voices heard, while still giving the larger states more representation than the smaller ones.

OK, so in the international version of this, instead of each country having 2 "senators", it would be each region, as defined by one of the following:

1.North America
2.Central America
3.South America
4.Europe
5.Arab Countries
6.Africa
7.Central/Western Asia (Russia, Caucasus..)
8. South Asia (India, Pakistan..)
9. China
10.South East Asia (ASEAN)
11.Australia + NewZealand

1.) The Americas
2.) Africa
3.) Europe
4.) Australia/NZ
5.) Asia
6.) Micronesia/Polynesia/Indonesia

Or do we need a few more?

In the "house of representatives" or "world parliament" countries, or regions would have representatives based on their populations.

Now do we have political parties, or political groupings, or individuals?

Considering this probably isn't going to happen for ages, it could be that by then most people have the internet anyway? Or there could be alternatives for the others? This could be for important referendums etc.

tarigwaemir
Member # 3870

The thing with the popular vote idea is that it would require a massive bureaucracy. Expensive and hard to establish.

I think the two-house system is a nice compromise. But your regional breakdown needs some work. The first system not only excludes Japan, it also leaves out Korea. Yeah, I know Korea doesn't sound too important, but I *am* Korean so I feel a bit left out. If we go with the first system, it should be called East Asia. My problem with the second system is that having just an "Asia" region is too broad and general. And I'm pretty sure that places like India and Pakistan are not going to agree with each other on anything, so dumping them together in the same region may be counterproductive. Split Asia into the Islamic countries, India and its Hindu neighbors, Southeast Asia and East Asia, perhaps?

I don't know about most people having the Internet. There are people without telephones in some countries still. Of course, we don't know exactly what the world would be like in the future. I prefer a political party system. Or rather, I see it as a necesssary compromise. Party systems evolved because populations grew too large and complex, so I think they would be inevitable in a global democracy.

What about this? Each country votes on electors, who then vote for party candidates on a regional election for representatives to the World Parliament/Congress. The representatives then can vote for party candidates on a global election for President/Hegemon.

Also, any ideas about term lengths? A short term length reduces the chance for a cohesive long-term government policy, but a long term length increases the risk of dictatorship or tyranny. I prefer the long term length, myself. How long would terms be?

I'd also like to mention that about fifty years ago, a bunch of professors at U of Chicago published a draft for a World Constitution, in which they outlined a very elaborate system of world democracy. It is actually not so different from what we're coming up with now, except it's much more complicated. If you live in NYC, you can find it on the fifth floor of the MML, somewhere in the 340s.

Humani
Member # 3892

Yeah, asia is way too broad, I agree, it has about half the population of the world. we could invent a new group of japan and korea, maybe? Maybe you'd better reprint the list, with your definitions for within asia, as you probably know more.
We should look up some of the poulation numbers, i guess, try to make it at least roughly equal, so at least you don't have one group more than say twice as big as another group?

http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/

has populations, a long with whole load of other info.. does anyone have a link, of populations more directly?

Whilst we're thinking about political aprties etc, I'll write about how it works in the European Parliament.

Each country in the EU is assigned a number of representatives, according to population. The countries can then sub-divide this by region/state if they wish.

In the Euro-pariliament there are political "groups" e.g. socialists, librals, christian somethings..(i don't remember their name), greens/enviromentalists etc, independants..
Then each political party in each country chooses a group to affiliate to, or they can create a new one if none fit. So in the countries you vote for one of the parties in your country, and this counts to the political grouping which that party has chosen. maybe there could be a similar system? The political groupings have their own manifestos, websites etc..

I mean when you vote for a political party in your country, the representative will be from that party, and be from your country. In the parliament the representative would sit with the other representatives of the same political grouping, even if they were from another country.

This way if you don't happen to agree with the majority of your country, your vote still counts to what you voted for, not what the majority of your country voted for.

[This message has been edited by Humani (edited August 01, 2002).]

BootNinja
Member # 2296

do you think you could elaborate on that a bit, I don't have a clue what you just said.
suntranafs
Member # 3318

!

[This message has been edited by suntranafs (edited August 01, 2002).]

suntranafs
Member # 3318

To be a bit abrupt and direct:
1. The internet is the only way to go. A. The countries without it should get it(the world government can help them) B. Voter Fraud and such is a bit of a problem, but computers are the future, and the newWG must be prepared for what will the most dangerous criminal/rebel problem, i.e. crime through computers, anyway.
2. What is all this talk of giant States(capital S)? A. Throwing everybody into one mob will i. Defeat the purpose of having a Senate, as the State will not have a strong common view point. ii. Increase chances of one group(country, ethnicity, or religion) taking control of more power(the whole State) than they are entitled to. iii. Severely increase chances of rebellion against the newWG if such a group did take control, especialy if in more than one State. B. Even now the democracy of the U.S. is becoming limited by the fact that people in different areas of the individual states have totally different cultures and situations. Therefore, instead of grouping the smaller ones, I propose we shrink the larger countries, perhaps even to the size of large cities. None of this, of course, can happen in full until after the newWG is united, to do so would create to much discord.
3. Yeah, I left out Japan and Korea, they might be the key to annexing China perhaps? Certainly that action will be difficult, more difficult, I think, than getting the muslims to join us.
4. Maybe I spoke too soon starting with the western world, perhaps the thing to do is to start small and highly focused? Or perhaps not.

flyby
Member # 3630

- posted      Profile for flyby   Email flyby         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a little hard to want to make some countries spend money on having internet and computers for their people when they don't have decent food or housing. Once we have people not starving in high numbers in certain countries, only then do I think it is actually plausible to try and get them to hook up with the internet for the World Government.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BootNinja
Member # 2296

although, we could have some sort of outreach program. public computers in outdoor kiosks. Some people have been experimenting with this in India I think, and the kids have been teaching themselves to use a computer. If there were public computers available for voting and stuff, then it might be feasible. of course, then we'd have more things like in Florida this past election. "The ballot was confusing. We didn't know how to use the computer!!!"
Humani
Member # 3892

There could also be alternatives to internet voting, there could be some normal types of voting with apaper too, or televoting or poastal voting, depending on what was more suitable in that area. Only if you have a computer, and are kind of lazy, then it's much less effort to vote by computer. No queuing, travelling etc. Did you see the queues on TV, for voting in Zimbabwe, I'm glad we don't have to wait that long.

The outreach program is a good idea too, maybe that could be one thing to be funded by the world government, so it wouldn't be a burden on some poorer countries? Along with basic computer lessons, or something? I think they have some of those already, funded by IT companies, I think but i'm not sure.

Humani
Member # 3892

BootNinja, was the message to me, that you didn't understand? you mean about the political groupings in the European Parliament?

They are basically the same as political parties, but have different names in each country, depending on which parties were already there before the existence of a euro parliament.

I'm suggsting it, because each country in the world already has different selections of political parties. Instead of getting rid of them all, and creating new world parties, this is a type of compromise. So for example the German Socialist party, and the UK labour party, and the australian labor party would keep their original names, but act as one party in the world parliament. Because they probably have similar (socialist) views on most issues, if they don't they can choose to be separate if they like. It just makes for less really small local parties in the world parliament.

[This message has been edited by Humani (edited August 02, 2002).]

BootNinja
Member # 2296

ok, I guess that makes some sense.

Humani
Member # 3892

quote:

2. What is all this talk of giant States(capital S)? A. Throwing everybody into one mob will i. Defeat the purpose of having a Senate, as the State will not have a strong common view point. ii. Increase chances of one group(country, ethnicity, or religion) taking control of more power(the whole State) than they are entitled to. iii. Severely increase chances of rebellion against the newWG if such a group did take control, especialy if in more than one State. B. Even now the democracy of the U.S. is becoming limited by the fact that people in different areas of the individual states have totally different cultures and situations. Therefore, instead of grouping the smaller ones, I propose we shrink the larger countries, perhaps even to the size of large cities. None of this, of course, can happen in full until after the newWG is united, to do so would create to much discord.

No-one said the have big states. It was just a comparison to the roles of states in the US senate, to the world regions in the 2nd house of the world government (which we didn't have a name for yet).
It would be an option to have indivual countries, and split up bigger countries into regions, but that would make too many representatives. The world has about 6 billion people, and they are all equally imortant, we are trying to think of way that everyone is reasonaly equally represented, without smaller groups having no say. If you have another idea, please post it. Already countries in th same area are forming groupings, such as EU, ASEAN, SAARC, Arab league, carabean and latin american trading block (name??), Nafta, african has discussion thing too, Commonwealth of independant states (Russia and some more are in this)... etc.. we are sort fo expanding on this idea.

quote:

3. Yeah, I left out Japan and Korea, they might be the key to annexing China perhaps? Certainly that action will be difficult, more difficult, I think, than getting the muslims to join us.

Please try not to be anti-china, or any other country. China doesn't need "annexing", what do you mean by this?? China is joining WTO, and is part of the internatinal community. If we are being fair to them, why would they specifically not want to join?

quote:

4. Maybe I spoke too soon starting with the western world, perhaps the thing to do is to start small and highly focused? Or perhaps not.

It would probably be easier to just get the "western world" to agree, but already there are no (hardly) wars within the west, so it wouldn't promote more peace. Also once it was established as a western idea, other non-western countries might feel they were being taken over by the west if they were to join. If it is a global plan from the begnning, and non just pressured fro the west, I think ithas more chane of being accepted.

flyby
Member # 3630

- posted      Profile for flyby   Email flyby         Edit/Delete Post 
I still see it as a little disturbing to be like "Oh, here are some computers...oh you're starving? Well we only were funded to get your votes, so good luck with that..and just cast your vote on the computer." Paper ballots may take more time, but they are much less a slap in the face and leaves more money for food and housing.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarigwaemir
Member # 3870

I agree with the alternatives to Internet voting idea. If the World Government itself were to provide Internet access to other countries, then how would they have participated in the W.G. before the outreach program gets started? The outreach idea could be eventually implemented but I think you need to have other options to begin with.

I think the political groups idea is interesting, but I do have some small objections. People might support a party's policies on the national level, but not on a global level. Example: New Yorkers are notoriously Democratic, and most of us voted for Gore in the last elections, but we ended up electing a Republican mayor *again*. I know a lot of people who call themselves Democrats, but voted for Bloomberg (the Republican candidate) in the last mayoral elections because they thought he could deal with the economic setback in the city better. The party may have good policies on the national level, but not necessarily on the global level. Also, what about nations that don't have as many established parties? I think that would put some political groups at a disadvantage. I really like this idea of groups, but I think it needs some work.

The idea about splitting states into large cities...we're just considering this as a way to divide up voting, right? We wouldn't actually redraw any political boundaries? I think the regional idea is still best, as long as we take into consideration cultural differences and population size.

Humani
Member # 3892

You wouldn't have to vote for the same party at local national, regional and world level. there could be separate elections.

In the european parliament now, there are separate elections for that, than for national elections.

You mean like, if there was a socialist group, then at the moment there is no socialist party in the USA, so this would be unfair to the socialist group? I guess, if they thought that people in the USA would want to vote for them, they could create a new party? There's no rule, as far as I know that says there can only be 2 parties in the USA, or is there?

But What about China? Right now, do they only have CCP (Chinese Communist Party) party? They call them self "One-party democracy"? or is that out of date? I'm not sure of the chances of them introducing a few more. On local elections in China, are there more options, does anyone know? I'll try to find out. I heard they take the paper to your door, and ask you to chose one, but tell you which to choose. In theory you can choose any you like, but maybe if you chose a different one they might accidently lose your voting paper. ... I'm not sure if that's different parties you can choose, or different people in the CCP. Anyone with more info?

suntranafs
Member # 3318

Gee, Humani, did you really want to shoot me down, or what? I'm feeling a bit ran over.
"It would be an option to have indivual countries, and split up bigger countries into regions, but that would make too many representatives." Ok, wait a minute, what exactly makes you think that there will likely be to many elected representatives provided all reps are elected fairly, and (via the internet, most likely) can vote on policy fairly? As to "smaller groups having no say", I'm afraid I misunderstand. Are we trying to give political power to groups? Or to the people? Be aware, groups have leaders, not always fairly elected. Further, It seems to me that the clause, "majority rule, minority right" applies here. Everybody has their unalienable rights, but beyond those, the will of the majority must be served.

Another thing, dang it all, I'm not anti-China! Alls I meant by "Annexing" is getting them to throw aside their government and join a higher cause. I happen to have a great deal of respect for Chinese culture and history, which their government has all but destroyed. I also believe in the goodness of the Chinese people, as I believe in the goodness of all people. Many of the inate freedoms of those people(who I like) have been taken away by their government(which I don't like). Additionally, I don't believe that any such government should have any part in the creation of the newWG. That is, as I assume, it is to be a moral establishment. Now do you get it?

On a similar note, but a more conroversial one(But controversy is not the purpose here), and to answer your question about the two party system in the USA, Humany, There not only can be, but indeed are other parties in the U.S., but due to a great deal of scandalous control through wealth (because of which both parties should be denied, or seriuously reformed before, participation in the creation of the newWG) those other parties never hold any kind of real power.

Question Tarig, what exactly do you mean by,'Poltical boudaries' in your last post? What I thought we were discussing, and indeed what I thought more important, was the geographical an populational size of the States(cap. S) that the House of representatives, and probably more crucially, the Senate, would come from. What were you talking about?

[This message has been edited by suntranafs (edited August 05, 2002).]

Humani
Member # 3892

Hi suntranafs. I apoligize for getting annoyed, without understanding what you mean, please accept. Especially since I am new to this board, I'm used to another board which is... less co-operative.., sorry.

quote:

"It would be an option to have indivual countries, and split up bigger countries into regions, but that would make too many representatives." Ok, wait a minute, what exactly makes you think that there will likely be to many elected representatives provided all reps are elected fairly, and (via the internet, most likely) can vote on policy fairly? As to "smaller groups having no say", I'm afraid I misunderstand. Are we trying to give political power to groups? Or to the people? Be aware, groups have leaders, not always fairly elected. Further, It seems to me that the clause, "majority rule, minority right" applies here. Everybody has their unalienable rights, but beyond those, the will of the majority must be served.

You mean not to have a physical parliament building, I didn't think of that, what do other people think? So you mean for example, to have 1 representative for every .. what's the smallest countrry size? about 1000 people (vatican city has 890 people)? 1 representative for every 1000 people, means 6 billion/1000 is 6 million representatives, who are members of the world parliament? Do you think that is a possiblilty? and what about the "senate". That was actually what we were discussion the regions for. The USA has 50 (almost equally sized) states, each has 2 representatives in the US sentate. The world has... many many different sized countries. But there are regions which could act as the states. should there also be 6 million representatives in the senate? or just some for each region?

quote:

Another thing, dang it all, I'm not anti-China! Alls I meant by "Annexing" is getting them to throw aside their government and join a higher cause. I happen to have a great deal of respect for Chinese culture and history, which their government has all but destroyed. I also believe in the goodness of the Chinese people, as I believe in the goodness of all people. Many of the inate freedoms of those people(who I like) have been taken away by their government(which I don't like). Additionally, I don't believe that any such government should have any part in the creation of the newWG. That is, as I assume, it is to be a moral establishment. Now do you get it?

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. But since it will probably be the Chinese government who will make the decision to join or not to join, I don't now how we can get around it. Just hope they speed up their reforms, and anti-corruption drive... They are probably too strong to try to overthrow afganistan style.. or what do you suggest?
How to persuade them into giving more human rights, without it looking like western pressure..?
How much do you know about the political system in China? I would be interested to hear your opinions. I think the biggest problem is the corruption.

[This message has been edited by Humani (edited August 06, 2002).]

BootNinja
Member # 2296

Humani, you are misinformed. the physical size of states differs widely in the USA. the smallest, Rhode Island, is very very different in size from say, Texas, or Alaska, or Arizona, many of which have grossly smaller populations than say, new York or New Jersey. Population density must be taken into account. But this is why the 2 house system is neccessary. If all subdivisions were approximately equal in size, then you wouldn't need the limiting factor of the Senate. But seeing as how splitting up countries probably wouldn't go over very well, the 2 party congress makes more sense.
Humani
Member # 3892

quote:

Humani, you are misinformed. the physical size of states differs widely in the USA. the smallest, Rhode Island, is very very different in size from say, Texas, or Alaska, or Arizona, many of which have grossly smaller populations than say, new York or New Jersey. Population density must be taken into account. But this is why the 2 house system is neccessary. If all subdivisions were approximately equal in size, then you wouldn't need the limiting factor of the Senate. But seeing as how splitting up countries probably wouldn't go over very well, the 2 party congress makes more sense.

OK, i don't know the populations of US states, what is the biggest (pop) and which is the smallest? By the way everytime i mention big/small. i mean population size and not physical land area. but anyway it varies ess than Vatican city compared to China.. that's what i was comparing it to.

is Congress the senate or the house of representatives, or is there a 3rd house?
I think world wide you have to have way more than 2 parties... there are many possibilities except just say capitalist or communist.

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.