FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Where is our Locke? (Page 10)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Where is our Locke?
Steel
Member # 3342

- posted      Profile for Steel   Email Steel         Edit/Delete Post 
Sooo... who here thinks that we should genetically engineer a Hegemon? Who thinks its a blasphemous idea and that we should kill the infidels? I've never much minded infidels, personally, but I understand that there's alot of animosity about them, and I'd like to hear from some zealots.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, kill the infidels, whoever they are . As for genetic engineering a hegemon, isn't that a bit of a dangerous idea? since genetic engineering is dangerous as hell and a world leader could be dangerous as hell???
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed Richards
Member # 3514

- posted      Profile for Reed Richards   Email Reed Richards         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, with genetic engineering, we could give him good qualities that we like. Maybe not even genetic engineering... just an organization (similar to Heinlein's Howard Foundation, or what the IF, apparently, is doing) that gives grants to people who marry other people with desirable leadership qualities, such as drive, ambition, and charisma.

This would, in theory, eventually give us a Locke. Maybe even several.

As for a world leader being dangerous as hell, well, if the leader is demented, yes. If we have a Locke, not really.

Posts: 135 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
The dangerous element is this: You can program ability, but we'd have to teach ethics, and teaching someone who has an inteligence vastly superior to the combined teachers', is sketchy at best.
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
altaris
Member # 4310

- posted      Profile for altaris   Email altaris         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody...
First of all, I quite disagree with the sentence "you can program abilities"... well, obviously, this isn't meant to be totally realistic ; but I don't think that the genome of any human being can be "programmed" ; and, even if it was possible, the genome isn't enought to define totally a human being.
On the other hand, I agree with the idea that u can't teach ethics to someone smarter than u are - would you accept to listen to someone obviously dumber than yourself ?
Still, a "supersmart being" doesn't have to be an Achilles : he can find his own ethics, and walk his own way toward it.
This is my point of view, anyway...

Posts: 117 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Akma
Member # 4345

- posted      Profile for Akma   Email Akma         Edit/Delete Post 
The obvious thing as that, with conflicts between human nature, things overlapping, which I will not discuss now, perfect agreement with everyone can not happen unless very special circumstances. World destruction helped Locke. What I am saying is the fundamental party is Demosothenes. The 2 gained power because they and all the views, Locke would have only gotten half, and without Demosothenes, his inevitable power could not happen. The conflicting arguments would get him far up in power, but not far enough to make the changes in society that you imply.

[This message has been edited by Akma (edited December 31, 2002).]

Posts: 284 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

gee, is your spelling that bad or are you doing that on purpose? No offense intended. I have to admit you have a point about Desmonthenes, at least insofar as it would make things more convenient.

Altaris: Granted, my knoledge of genetic engineering is limited, but I believe mankind is well on its way to programing every last gene. However, I do definitely agree that there is more to human being's than genetics.
As for "u can't teach ethics to someone smarter than u are" you'll remember I said that it is sketchy. What I did not say and do not believe is that it is impossible. Nor do I believe, as you say(if that is indeed what you intend), that (in the event we DO attempt this whole genetic programming bit) we should leave such things up to chance. There is, after all, more than one way of teaching; creating the environment, for instance. In defense of my belief that such a thing would be possible: Even Eienstein had teachers, and one of the things that he learned from was their mistakes.

'If I go with a beggar, a carpenter, and a theif, I will have three teachers'
-Confucius>>>aka you can learn something form any body, if ya know what I'm sayin'.

altaris
Member # 4310

I do think you can learn from anyone, but what I do NOT think is that you are always willing to learn. Confucius is surely right, but he is one of the few who doesn't have prejudices (or so he claims : I respect him and his writings, but, after all, since he's long-ago dead, we can't know if he really did everything he wrote... but that's not the point). A "supersmart" genetically created being would KNOW he is smarter than other human beings (he would guess it really early). So my point is to say that, of course, he could learn a lot from anybody on the world, but I doubt he would like to (I speak about ethics, not academic knowledge, of course...). It depends only on the psychology of this being, and of his education.
Which leads to another question : can you educate efficiently someone who can guess the purpose of your education (so to say : to make him an efficient leader, in this case) ? I mean... if you knew you were created and raised to be something without ever asking for it or wishing it, wouldn't you try to avoid becoming it ? Or to run away ? Unless you have an extraordinary sense of duty (which only a few people have), you will try to reject all this, especially during teenage, the time of life when you want to leave your childhood.
So I guess the education of our genetically created hegemon would be pretty hard (oh, BTW, about the genetic engineering... well, today, we have the technology to clone a human being, but not to CREATE one, and neither to "program" it, and we are not really likely to learn how to do it before another 100 years at least...)

Posts: 117 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

I'll definitely have to differ with you on that 100 year figure.
suntranafs
Member # 3318

Given that we didn't push our leader to hard, given that we were totally open with him about our objectives, given that we didn't try to play god in his education and be very free admiting that we didn't have the answers, and last and greatest, given that we not only fully realized that he had free choice in the matter, but made sure that he knew that he did, I think he would make the right choice(which is?) and that the thing of which you speak would not be a problem.

[This message has been edited by suntranafs (edited January 04, 2003).]

suntranafs
Member # 3318

Agreed?
imtheskywhoru?
Member # 4404

- posted      Profile for imtheskywhoru?           Edit/Delete Post 
anyone that is able to rule the world is dangerous how can there be anyone more dangerous than that?
Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

DON'T think anybody's arguing with you thar, matey!
altaris
Member # 4310

I do believe that it's about at least more than 100 years, since genetic engineering is too advanced for our current scientific advancement (hey, we're wondering if the raelians succeeded in CLONING someone, which is much easier than genegeering him... and even if they did succeed, it's almost for sure that the poor kid will have lots of genetical problems)
And about the education of the "leader", well... indeed, if we did everything you said, it might work (not 100 %, but, something like 90 % ).
The problem is that we are HUMANS, and that this kind of kid is sure to drive any guy trying to teach him anything totally mad... keeping your self control would be very hard

suntranafs
Member # 3318

About the genetic engineering, I'm not gonna argue what I can't presently back up scientifically.
As for self control, a group might be really a help in that department.

altaris
Member # 4310

ok, let's stop the discussion about genetical engineering...
about the self-control, it's true that a group could help, but you'd have to be really, really careful : each word, each sound, would be analyzed and memorized - and you'd need only one mistake to fail everything. Still, success is possible. But I don't think u can direct a human being (even provided u could "program" him genetically - and, if u could, would it still be a human being ?)

Steel
Member # 3342

"Would you accept to listen to someone obviously dumber than yourself ?"

Every day. Every frickin' day.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed Richards
Member # 3514

- posted      Profile for Reed Richards   Email Reed Richards         Edit/Delete Post 
The genetics argument is good. Let's go with it; morals and science are a horrible jumbled mess anyhoo, so I can't see one discussion without the other.

The problem is, you're seeing the problem from a Bean-type example; a test tube baby being reared to rule the world, as opposed to a Wiggin-type example.

I don't think thats the idea here.

"...(similar to Heinlein's Howard Foundation, or what the IF, apparently, is doing) that gives grants to people who marry other people with desirable leadership qualities, such as drive, ambition, and charisma.This would, in theory, eventually give us a Locke. Maybe even several."

Is everyone familiar with R A Heinlein's Howard Foundation? I've read some of his "Future History" series, and the Howards go like this: a wealthy buisnessman dies of cancer (or a similar fatal illness). As his dying act, he creates the Howard Foundation and leaves all his possesions and funds to it. It has only one purpose, "To prolong human life."

The way it's trustees go about this is simple. Anyone whos four grandparents have all reached one hundred are given money, grants, when healthy children are produced, exponentially. The more children, the more money.

The "Locke Foundation" might work similarly, only the crucial point wouldn't be age; it would be 'leadership positions' or 'intelligence' or 'charisma' or perhaps all three.

The problem of 'morals' is then out of our foundation's hands. They'll get their morals the same way we all do:

They'll learn from experience. From their parents and their siblings and their teachers and their friends. After all, the parents will be at least as intelligent as their children.

Its simililar, actually, in many ways to how Locke came about in the first place, or at least how Ender came about. Super-intelligent people given extra incentive to reproduce...

It solves both problems: it solves the problem of genetic engineering and it solves the problem of moral training.

[This message has been edited by Reed Richards (edited January 07, 2003).]

Posts: 135 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

That all depends...
WHO are the parents? WHO are the syblings? WHO are the teachers and friends? WHERE is the child raised? The list goes on and on. culture, environment, nutrition, etc. A mistake in any of these things (even if a mistake of negligence because of leaving things up to CHANCE) could be disasterous.

Reed Richards
Member # 3514

Well, but "disasterous" people would be weeded out in the first few generations, assuming it was a bad thing that they are "disasterous". They wouldn't be super-intelligent in the first generation; it'd be a gradual process that would eventually lead to super-intelligent people.
altaris
Member # 4310

To Steel : I guess lots of peoples are dumber than u r ; but then again, I'd be quite surprised if u were as smart as Ender, Bean, Val or Peter - I mean : the gap between your intelligence and the "common" one ain't as big, which makes it easier 4 u to listen to these fellas

Now... for once, I agree with sunatrafs : I don't think Reed Richard's idea would really be a solution : I hate the idea of "breeding". It can maybe work for physical abilities, but it surely won't work as well for mental trait. And, how would you put the "disastreous" peoples out of the program ? How would you know which of them are disastreous and which ain't ? From a certain point of view, Peter, Bean, and even Ender where disastreous...

suntranafs
Member # 3318

Reed: When I used the term disasterous, I did not mean unsatisfactory. I meant disasterous. If the wrong mistake was made, there could very well be no other generations. There could be a world government, a dictatorship. Or people, perhaps even the planet earth, could cease to exist in one way or another. I meant utterly catostrophic. Assuming, of course that we were dealing with a super genius, 'cause there's pretty much only two things a super genius is at all probable to be: Really Really Really(perhaps some other number of reallys) good, or Really Really Really Bad. There's very little middle ground.
suntranafs
Member # 3318

Not to say you don't have a point, Reed, but you just can't breed people like pigs, if ya know what I mean.
Abyss
Member # 3086

- posted      Profile for Abyss   Email Abyss         Edit/Delete Post 
If you pay people to have sex, they will.

I guarantee it.

Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steel
Member # 3342

"...I hate the idea of 'breeding'."

Well, be that as it may, the majority of people do not hate the idea of breeding. In fact, (and this may surprise you), most people take to the activity with quite a fervor.

Reed Richards
Member # 3514

"Well, but 'disasterous' people would be weeded out in the first few generations, assuming it was a bad thing that they are 'disasterous'."

"When I used the term disasterous, I did not mean unsatisfactory. I meant disasterous. If the wrong mistake was made, there could very well be no other generations."

Assuming that the percentage of geniuses in, say, America, is relatively low, and assuming that about half of these are discovered by the breeding program's tests, this elite group of people would not constitute nearly enough people to start a "Locke Foundation" project.

Let's back up a little bit. Let's say a wealthy (extremely wealthy) businessman has a child, a son, and that the son is tragically mentally retarded. Untreatable. The problem is traced to a defect in a blood vessel in the brain.

This businessman and wife courageously try again, and soon a daughter is conceived. The best doctors are summoned to examine the child. They find a similar defect, circulation of blood to the brain; everthing is done for the daughter in utero, and nothing works.

The daughter is born with the same mental defect. Untreatable.

The two failed attempts embitter the businessman; and his marriage is on thin ice at best. In a year he divorces his wife, and remarries a dashing young blonde. She concieves yet another child. Same story; untreatable mental defect.

By this time, the science of personal genetic mapping has come to fore. Upon examination, the businessman learns that he carries a reccesive brain circulation problem, the doctor informs him that in all likelyhood, every child he could possibly have will be born defective.

Meanwhile, the businessman's health has been rapidly deteriorating, and is diagnosed with cancer.

The man, from his deathbed, establishes the "Locke Foundation" and entrusts it with the task of increasing human intelligence.

You can see where this is going; I'll finish later.

altaris
Member # 4310

to Steel : I was talking about breeding a human stock like a pack of animals : "give'm money, they'll have sex ; we'll have a good stock..."
suntranafs
Member # 3318

Steel, Abyss, I believe my last post mis-lead you. I, blunt sociopath that I am, definitely don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with 'give 'em money and they'll screw like bunnies'. What I meant was, with humans, unlike pigs, there's a lot more involved in making who they are and what there capabilities are; there's a great deal of nurture besides the nature. Furthermore, if in some particular case the nurture went awry because it was left partially up to chance, and it happened that the particular individual in question was a natural super-genius, the world could find itself going to hell in a handbasket.
Again Reed, I don't really think there's anything wrong with the 'Locke Foundation' idea, insofar as it might theoretically lead to ethical, economical, and spiritual advancement of mankind, (or whatever the hell it is we think we should want). It's just that I'm not at all sure that it's going to give us the leader, that in the general opinion of this forum (not quite my opinion) we need.

suntranafs
Member # 3318

Let me try to justify that. I, personally, have been assuming, that in the general inteligence-residual opinon of the majority of the writers here (and that is what we should yield to, democratically speking, is it not?) that what the person we need to unite the world under a moral rule (though not neccessarily the person we need to lead after continued moral unification has been ensured) is not only a super-genius human, but an extremely ethically sound super-genius human.
Wow, that was a long sentence. Anyway, if we leave things up to chance the probability of getting the above person is small and approximately equal to that of getting a person who is an extremely ethically un-sound super-genius human. My point? Direct attempts to breed ethics into human beings are not likely to succeed on an idividual basis. And an individual is what we need. So sayeth the forum, in my perception. So sayeth suntanafs, though my idea has been pretty well shot down , we just need an ordinary Joe Blow with determined friends and the guts to try.
Again, Reed, I do think you may be on to something good for the human race as a whole(Brains is good shit to have ).

[This message has been edited by suntranafs (edited January 10, 2003).]

Leanne
Member # 4456

- posted      Profile for Leanne   Email Leanne         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all all sound like scholars (or six year olds from battle school) But my question is, do y'all think this up? Is it just a stero type with your businessman, Reed, was that was snatched from the air? Suntranafs, and the rest of ya, the human genome is no where ready for this kind of manipulation and I pity the first experiment on whom all of your theories are tested. I'm actually curious how long it'll take for people to fiddle. Not to much longer if the alien creeps are right about cloning.

Is it possible for a leader like what you describe to come forward anyway? In this time- there is no need for him, considering the fact that the entire world would reject any such possibility.Even if you speculate into the future- which nation would be willing to accept one without another force (such as the buggars ^.~) calling the need for one? I agree such possibilities are fascinating- yet sadly unlikely.

Also the fact that brains is good to have- but you need to be a politician. Ya need to know how to shmoose through the people. And who believes a good politician who is also good for the entire world? And one last thing, my little old opinion has almost nothing to do with any other subject- could someone explain the entire point of the Locke Foundation? I'd be much obliged,

[This message has been edited by Leanne (edited January 10, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Leanne (edited January 10, 2003).]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
altaris
Member # 4310

To Leanne : I've already mentioned the fact that current science couldn't do anything like that (and that neither genegeering nor breeding could possibly work).
And u're right : this about more than IQ (cf. the "Are you smart enough to go to Battle School" thread). Leadership has almost nothing to do with how smart you are ; which means that our Locke has to be BOTH a good leader and a very smart guy.

Abyss
Member # 3086

- posted      Profile for Abyss   Email Abyss         Edit/Delete Post 
"...Leadership has almost nothing to do with how smart you are..."

I disagree. I wouldn't want a moron for a Hegemon, and neither would you.

But you're right. In order for someone to become Hegemon, they would have to be charismatic; they'd have to be able to talk to everybody and get almost everybody to agree.

So what do we need? We need someone who's smart. We know that, an idiot is not at all what we're looking for. We also need someone who looks good on camera, someone who's good at giving speeches and the like.

But thats not all. We also need someone who's all there ethically, morally. Someone who's accepting. An Arthur, not a Mordred.

A Locke, not a Hitler.

Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed Richards
Member # 3514

But a subtle breeding program could do that! We could get those results!

Let's break it down:

We need our Locke to be smart. That's covered from ground zero under the program; thats what they test for. Problem number one solved.

He's got to be charismatic. Again, this is covered. If they're smart and ambitious, they'll learn charisma. even if we couldn't breed a Locke, we'd definently get a shlew of politicians.

Number three, we've got ethics. Locke's got to be a moral man. Fine. The breeding program might have thousands of ambitious, charismatic pre-Lockes running around. Isn't it incredulous to say that not one of them is an Arthur? That not a single one grows up to be a Roosevelt or a Lincoln?

Now that covers all three of your requirements, Abyss. Smarts, charisma, and ethics. What more do you need to see that it could work?

suntranafs
Member # 3318

Ideally? Extremely good Training. Here's a rather poor comparison, but you need the lab along with the lecture. Ideally.
Steel
Member # 3342

No, if you're running with the idea that you could make a Locke through a breeding program, you CAN NOT train them. They have to train themselves, like Peter.
altaris
Member # 4310

Well... I can't agree with breeding being a solution. It just WOULDN'T WORK !!! Your intelligence, leadership and ethics has very few to do with genetics (well... nothing to do with it for ethics and intelligence ; and not-so-much for intelligence. And even if it has 100% to do with it... have you ever heard about recessive genes ? Wiping persons out of the program owuld maybe mean throwing away the good part of the genetic stock. You can't know. Scientifically, we can't do it)

And about the qualities of a leader... of course, a Locke HAS to be smart. But a leader ? Leading peoples doesn't mean being smart. It means feeling, somehow, how to please, hurt, or lure them enough to get them to follow you. It CAN be done on purpose (though it's kinda hard to TRAIN someone to become a leader) ; but it's often an "instinct" : it comes without need to think of it.
Think about it : maybe all the "great-leaders" were smart guys, but all leaders are not.

suntranafs
Member # 3318

Steel: Praytell, why do you think so?
Steel
Member # 3342

Otherwise, we're using them. They're not Peter, they're Ender.

It's got to be about them. They've got to do it on their own. If we ever get a Hegemon, it'll be becuase he reaches up and takes Hegemony, not because we give it to him.

If we train him, he's not going to have the ambition to take what he wants and make the world a better place, he's going to feel that the world is his to begin with, no questions asked.

Regardless, thinking the breeding program through, you couldn't possibly train them all.

Reed Richards
Member # 3514

The whole point of the breeding program is that it's at least partially secret. The grants aren't given until they aren't Hegemon, if you catch my drift. Leaders, businessmen, politicians, nuclear physicists; anyone with a high status and intelligence gets grants to marry and have children with other similar-minded folk.

Altaris the Skeptic:

quote:
Your intelligence, leadership and ethics has very few to do with genetics

Yes, that you know of. Your first paragraph is (or appears to be) ranting on your part. You underestimate science. We can do it. We're doing it now. We've been doing it for thousands of years.

Granted, the point of the breeding in past incidences has been primarily domestication; but it doesn't have to be so. Breeding mankind for favourable traits is both possible and beneficial. You can't simply say, "It wouldn't work", because we know that it could. It is being done as we speak, by farmers all over the world. Now, when it comes to human beings, the only problem is ethical, and that is merely logistics. That problem can be worked around.

Your second paragraph is self-defeating. You conceed my point, "...of course, a Locke HAS to be smart.", but then you keep going. I conceed your point, to a certain extent; yes, idiots are capable of leading people.

I personally wouldn't follow them, but hey, thats really a more personal choice.

kevinphill
Member # 4469

- posted      Profile for kevinphill   Email kevinphill         Edit/Delete Post 
Locke if there ever will be such a person, would have the ambition of Hitler, the brain of Einstine, the heart of Mother Theresa, the power of influence of The Pope or The Dali Lama.

The Locke persona whould have to have the good with the bad. One that is willing to kill or be willing to give orders to an army that would have to do the same. He/She would have to be smart enough to know when it is better to kill or better to keep alive. Must have the power to influence the masses and to be known by people everywhere.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
altaris
Member # 4310

Reed Richards : Sorry, being new I dunno how to make those "quote" things ... still, they're things id'like to say about your reply.
First of all ; no, we can't scientifically do it. If we have done it, give me exemples... I'd like to know about them. Don't misunderstand me : I do not underestimate science. Given time (maybe a few centuries) ; we'll surely be able to do this. But we cannot now. What we've currently barely achieved is DECODING human genome ; not altering it in any way. And we haven't even decoded everything ; we don't know what exactly lots of iour chromosomes program for. It's not underestimating science ; it's stating a fact. If you have any proof of the opposite ; then, I'd like to know about them.
So, of course, we could try ur breeding program (secretly and son on) ; but it would be of no use without a perfect knowledge of human genome.
Now, my second point. I never, ever said that Locke doesn't have to be smart (in fact I even said the opposite : (quote : "(...) which means that our Locke has to be BOTH a good leader and a very smart guy. "). What I was saying (and u agreed) is that being a good leader didn't imply being smart ; and, so, that Locke wouldn't have to be "only" the smartest being on the earth - but also the best leader, which is different.

Whoops... sorry about the "iour", I meant "our"

[This message has been edited by altaris (edited January 14, 2003).]

Reed Richards
Member # 3514

Your first point: You beleive that mankind's science is not capable of eugenics (breeding humans to reach a desirable goal). You are asking me for an example of an instance where a breeding program accomplished what it set out to do.

Cows.

Cows have been bred for centuries. They are now healthier, and produce better milk, meat, and birth healthier calves than they ever have before, all as a result of selective breeding.

This was done WITHOUT an intricate knowledge of the bovine genome. We've had the science to do this for centuries.

Your second point: Yes, Locke has to have charisma. Granted. I agree with you. Locke has to be both intelligent and charismatic. Bravo. You're brilliant. Kudos.

So, in conclusion, a breeding program is feasible.

If you want another example of successful eugenics, I can dish 'em out by the barrelful.

suntranafs
Member # 3318

Though I'm not so skeptical as Altaris, I'd be quite interested in hearing the entire barrel full.
Reed Richards
Member # 3514

You yourself mentioned pigs, Sutranafs. Any domestic farm animal is the product of the collective breeding efforts of the human race; horses, chickens.

But one of the most diversly and effectively manipulated animals is the dog. Just look at all the useful things we've been able to breed the wolf into! Sheepdogs, bulldogs guard dogs, domestic dogs... It's all there!

Steel
Member # 3342

To say nothing of the plants that have been selectively bred.
altaris
Member # 4310

... yes of course you can breed plants. And cows. And horses. And kangaroos, if you want to. Agreed.
But there's one thing which is really important about all those breedings ... it's always for PHYSICAL traits (size, health, and so on...). And indeed, this kind of things IS possible with humans.
but what we're talking about is breeding in order to raise MENTAL traits, right ? And it's much harder. Because, first of all, we don't know if IQ and leadership have anything to do with genetic (and, even if they did, we'll also have to know whether they can be transmitted to children or not). And, second, it's quite hard to know exactly how smart a person is (the IQ tests are good, but not unfailable ; and remember Einstein : for a long time, he couldn't even talk, he "became" smart somewhere in his teenage) ; and what kind of a leader he is (almost no possible test for this).
BTW, ReedRichards... YOU were the one who didn't read what I wrote : if you had, you wouldn't have mentioned anything about me thinking Locke doesn't have to be smart. Who's brillant ?

Reed Richards
Member # 3514

Altaris, you seem to be replying to point I never made. I've never said that you don't fully read my posts (I'll never know), but you seem quite angry with me over that. Because you continue to disagree with me, either I have been unclear or you have misunderstood me, or both.

To help you understand, I'll echo something Sutranafs said ages ago, in this very thread.

"How many of you are there that you use the pronoun 'we'?"

You say:

"we don't know if IQ and leadership have anything to do with genetics"

YOU don't know. Qualified experts (of which I assume from your statements you are not) disagree with you.

"it appears that intelligence (as measured by I.Q.) is a result of a combination of genes..."

"From a study of twins it appears that I.Q. is about 80% nature and 20% nurture..."

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Lane/8771/chromosomes.html

I agreed with you, before I read this, about leadership not being genetic.

It turns out we were both wrong.

Scroll down to right underneath the "Viking Genetics" snipet and the Isaac Newton quote.

You see where it talks about all the different forms of inherited intelligence? See where is says interpersonal relationships and intrapersonal relationships?

So a breeding program according to the EXPERTSwould actually be more succesful than I origionally thought.

suntranafs
Member # 3318

Wait a sec.
A Quote from Steel: "If we train him, he's not going to have the ambition to take what he wants and make the world a better place, he's going to feel that the world is his to begin with, no questions asked." That definitely seems to indicate that ambition is not a purely genetic trait (if it can be trained out of you or only evolves through lack of training). I think we can all agree that ambition is a quality crucial to leadership.
That argument has one little flaw. Steel is not God(sorry Steel ), and could be wrong.
Nonetheless, while it is true that genetic scientists are probably generally at least as smart as they think they are, social scientists are, in general, no where near as smart as they think they are. Consequently, inteligence is hardly measureable except in that hindsight is 20-20 and 'Stupid is as stupid does'.
Another thing, which Altaris brought up: while we have a half decent understanding of genetics, who can really say that genes are the only thing that counts (Maybe thickness of toenails<<<instead of being a product or invisible halos(SP?) actually override genes)
Yet again, just the argument of a skeptic, I'm not saying your theory wouldn't work. However, do you think that putting into action could, instead of bettering mankind, create (or add to) a much unwanted class structure?

suntranafs
Member # 3318

And look what happened to monarchy in europe.
1. primitive societies chose kings that were the best and the bravest.
2. primitive societies had a pretty fair idea of the evils of inbreeding(taboos)
3. They had a good thing going until they decided princes should only marry princesses, though it took quite a while for things to go to hell and the ruling class to generally become morons, it did and they did.
I'm sure convincing myself, am I covincing anybody else?

Steel
Member # 3342

I don't really understand where the monarchy bit came from, but you've got one thing wrong. You come from a democratic society and are thinking in a democratic way. You said "primitive societies chose kings who were the best and bravest."

You forget that primitive societies were not democracies. They did not "choose the best and bravest", but rather the strongest men and best fighters rose to the top, killing those in their way. Now, that brute strength is worthless; smarts is where is really counts. But the ambition to rise to the top is still key.

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.