FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » disagreements resolved at long last (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: disagreements resolved at long last
Taw-qing-jao
Member # 6127

- posted      Profile for Taw-qing-jao   Email Taw-qing-jao         Edit/Delete Post 
My ex-boyfriend and I were always fighting over this, so I'd be glad to hear everyones opinions on the subject. I idolize Orson and he told me that, he makes mistakes, I argued atht theu books are sooo maticulously checked over and over that there are few mistakes. He says that the word formic is a mistake because, it is not used in Ender's game. I say it is used in Ender's game but,only fleetingly because they had no respect for the buggers. someone please prove me right. [Grumble]
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
You are wrong.

Now send me all your money.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
While Uncle Orson is a really neat guy, he is not perfect. He had made several mistakes in his books, and by this I mean continuity errors. This has happened even with the help of many memebers here.

For example in the most recent book in the Alvin series, Crystal City, neither OSC or the proofreaders here at the site caught that the sex of the stillborn baby of Alvin and Peggy had changed.

Small examles that should not take away your enjoyment of the books.

Now send me all your money. [Smile]

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
The author is great
he commands much respect
but please do not hate
that he is not perfect

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taw-qing-jao
Member # 6127

- posted      Profile for Taw-qing-jao   Email Taw-qing-jao         Edit/Delete Post 
By no means was I saying that Orson is perpetually perfect, actually I was saying that his wrighting is ususally without mistakes. The point though that you all have seemed to miss is my question about the word formic.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
The point you seem to miss is that we got your point, and then we told you that you're wrong.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The change from bugger in Ender's Game to Formic in Ender's Shadow was deliberate. Is that what you are getting at? There is a passage in Ender's Shadow that explains how bugger is a very bad word in England.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
The word "Formic" was never used in Ender's Game. However, even in "Ender's Game" it was implied that Bugger was a slang term. The official term Formic was not introduced until later books, but that does not mean the word did not exist when Ender was in Battle School.

Furthermore, since the change from Bugger to Formic is a deliberate one, I really don't see it as a mistake. It was OSC's way of being culturally sensitive to those poor Brits, and hence not a mistake at all.

P.S. One good turn deserves another, as JKR's original title for her famous first book, "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone" was changed to "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" because Scholastic felt American children just wouldn't know what a "Philosopher's Stone" is.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
You're joking, right, Beren? Tell me you're joking . .. pretty please?
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
About which part, Shan? I'm fairly certain he's right on all counts.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
The story goes something like this . . .

Since OSC knew that bugger was such a strong word in England, and he knew he wanted this movie of Ender's game to get made, and he didn't want all the British kids giggling at all the scary parts when they heard the naughty word, he knew he had to come up with a new word to use in the movie. He used it for the first time in early drafts of the screenplay, and then worked it in to the Shadow novels.

It was never even used in the Speaker series.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

[Angst]

Why, did I say something wrong?

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

It's the part about American kids not knowing what "philospher" means . . . *Shudders* [Grumble] What has the world come to?
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it is not the word Philosopher that americans do not know it is the alchemical use of the word, the quest for the "Philosopher Stone" that changes lead to gold and grants immortality that has never been part of American myth as it was in Europe.

We had science fairly early and alchemy became chemistry.

BC [Big Grin]

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
msquared could you please put in a spoiler warning? I'm only on the second book in the Tales of Alvin Maker, and I really didn't want to find out about that.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camber
Member # 6154

- posted      Profile for Camber   Email Camber         Edit/Delete Post 
BOH and BC, thanks for the JKR trivia. I'm not a reader of JKR, but I had wondered why the Sorcerer's Stone was called the Philosopher's Stone in the European release...I had thought the reverse was true, that the word Sorcerer had been removed to satisfy anti-witchcraft critics.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
So it's true: some Americans have NOT heard of the Philosopher's Stone.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camber
Member # 6154

- posted      Profile for Camber   Email Camber         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's true. I heard about it a little after I had first heard the JKR title. I was reading a very inaccurate book about Jesus, the Essenes, alchemy, and the Holy Grail, called Bloodline of the Holy Grail. A waste of time; I highly recommend not reading it. In my previous 30 years of living life as an American, the term never came up, and I tend to read a fair bit of sci-fi/fantasy and medieval history.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree. I am no slouch when it comes to vocabulary, and I was not familiar with that definition of the word Philosopher. It's just not a part of American English. Sorry.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not that the word philosopher has different definitions in Britain and America, mph. The title refers to a specific item called the "philosopher's stone," which most Americans have not heard of. Medieval alchemists, incidentally including one Nicolas Flamel (real person), devoted much of their experimenting to make a philosopher's stone, which would, as previously stipulated, turn things to gold and grant immortality. At least from what I understand; I've read about it several places. [Smile]

I still don't see why it had to be changed. The stone's properties were explained in the book adequately enough. *shrug*

[ January 29, 2004, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Lissande ]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Flamel was a real person, and a philanthropist, but he was not an alchemist (or even an amateur scientist). He made his money the old fashioned way -- he married it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I was sort of surprised people hadn't heard of it. I would have understood the book so much more quickly if it had stayed the Philosopher's Stone. I don't even remember how I learned about it, it's just one of those things I've always known.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, really? I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Master Kakashi
Member # 6165

- posted      Profile for Master Kakashi   Email Master Kakashi         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, all this talk about HP is great, but I have a question on the earlier subject: What does bugger really mean? You say it's a naughty word, but how much? That's what I ask.

And I'd also like to point out that this smiley [No No] looks like he is flipping you off.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
It also looks like he's telling you to bugger off. Does that answer your question?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
Its quite funny that the name was changed at all. I'm English and have read all the Ender and Shadow Books and didn't find Bugger remotely upsetting.

These days its usually used in a joky sense when annoyed - i.e. the televisions buggered or isn't he a cute little bugger. It original meaning was rude but its not that bad these days - or maybe thats just up north where I come from! [Dont Know]

In relation to HP I didn't know what the Philosophers Stone was until I read it - so its not just Americans! And like Lisaande said it explains it in the book anyway so whats the point!! [Confused]

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Lissande, I was trying to find the article from Chemical & Engineering News about Flamel. I know I clipped it, I can't find it. Drat. So I'll just have to summarize my memory of it.

IIRC, Flamel did get a rep as an alchemist -- but after he was dead, as way of explaining his wealth, and not based on actual facts. So Rowling's use of him was based on the legend, not the real person.

Oh, looky ("Mainstream Alchemy")! I love Google!

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

According to the Da Vinci Code, Flamel was also a protector of the sacred feminine.

*I know, I know, that book is fluff. But fun fluff IMHO*

Master Kakashi
Member # 6165

- posted      Profile for Master Kakashi   Email Master Kakashi         Edit/Delete Post 
May I ask a question totally off subject here? Umm, you all talk, well type actually, like you're graduates of some big ol' university or something. Don't think less of me if I ask what age group you all are in. No need to answer, but you all sound like adults to me. Not that it's a bad thing. [Razz]
Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Education - it's what you make of it, not what it makes of you . . . [Big Grin]

Go visit Ornery for some very scary educated writing . . .

Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What does bugger really mean? You say it's a naughty word, but how much?
It means "to [f-word] someone, using the back door."

For more on this subject, see the following song from Terry Pratchett's Discworld. (Do not click on this if you are easily offended. Unless you like having things to be offended about -- in which case, this'll do it.)
The Hedgehog Song

[ February 01, 2004, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea that it was that vulgar.

While we are on the subject, can anybody tell me how offensive the word "bloody" is over there?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

I'm guessing it is not that bad of a word. Doesn't Ron say "bloody brilliant" all the time in HP?
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Master Kakashi: We're anywhere from 10 to 99. Just assume you're talking to somebody with two digits in their age and you'll be fine. I'm sixteen.

Oh yeah, and I heard "bloody" is at the same level as "damn".

[ February 02, 2004, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

- posted      Profile for Liquor and Fireworks   Email Liquor and Fireworks         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there are some 12 year olds creeping around somewhere(I stumbled upon a thread full of them once, it was creepy) but most people here seem to be atleast 20.
Me? I'm only sixteen, so you can feel free to think of me as a naive, stupid person posting out of his butt. Which is pretty much what I am, I never spend time trying to make my posts fit for human consumption, I just post as soon as something comes to mind.

Posts: 331 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

I would guess at least 75% of the people who post here are either college graduates, grad students, college students, or college bound. The other 25% are just too smart to even waste time with college.

If you would like to hang out with a younger crowd, you might also try philotic web. [Smile]

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
And by "Philotic Web", she means this (their forum).
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

And by "she", Da_Goat means he. [Wink]
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, bloody generally refers to (I've heard) the blood of Jesus Christ. So I guess it depends on whether you find that sacred or not.

[ February 02, 2004, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: blacwolve ]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laraem
Member # 6103

- posted      Profile for laraem   Email laraem         Edit/Delete Post 
i wouldnt go so far as to say that the majority of people in here are college students and/or grads.
of course i dont actually know... but i would assume not... and if im wrong, then im suprised.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron doesn't say "bloody" in the books, Beren. That's movie contamination.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Master Kakashi
Member # 6165

I actuall think that Ron saying bloody is kinda cool. But that's just me, since no one in the US says it.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

I hate the bloody movies. [Smile]
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Bloody does not traditionally refer to the blood of Christ, the history of the term refers to the unclean state of women during menstration. It was generaly a taboo topic for primitive Europeans.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mankind
Member # 2672

- posted      Profile for Mankind   Email Mankind         Edit/Delete Post 
I understood it to be a shortened form of "By our Lady," sort of a way of swearing by Mary.
Posts: 75 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Take Our Word For It (a great etymology site) says:
quote:
As far as bloody being used as a chiefly British expletive, that dates from the 17th century. There is not a widely accepted explanation for its origin. One suggests that the word is a contraction of by our Lady, our Lady being Mary, the mother of God; another explanation is that the word became an `intensive,' as linguists call such words, by way of the nickname for Mary I of England, Bloody Mary.

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 16. I think what you're noticing in the posting is because most people (if not everyone) here enjoys reading, and so they prefer to have full sentences with capitalization and punctuation. The main reason I don't talk to people online very much is because most people I know don't know how to type in such a way that I won't get a headache from it.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Master Kakashi
Member # 6165

midnight blue i like so totaly a gree i meen lik ppl r 2 bizy 2 type like they r edukated enugh to no baseic speling and gramer [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

*head explodes*
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I feel sorry for anybody with so little imagination that they only know one way to spell a word.... [Wink]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.