FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » A Question About "Speaker for the Dead"

Author Topic: A Question About "Speaker for the Dead"
johnlocke059
Member # 6220

- posted      Profile for johnlocke059   Email johnlocke059         Edit/Delete Post 
I was born and raised Catholic. While I don't much care for it now, I'm still curious...why does Card have all the characters calling anyone who isn't Catholic an "infidel". In all my years in Catholic school, attending church and attending religion classes, I never once heard this term used. Just wondering what made Card decide to use it...
Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I have always thought he was being humorous. Or having his Character be so.

I have always been puzzled as to why the Protestants always make a distinction between Christians and Catholics.

Were their no Christians before the Protestant reformation? Really what is the difference between the Lutheran faith and the post Vatican II Catholics?

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlocke059
Member # 6220

- posted      Profile for johnlocke059   Email johnlocke059         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not exactly sure, but I believe the only major difference between Lutherans and Catholics is that Catholics believe in the Eucharist and Lutherans do not.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have always been puzzled as to why the Protestants always make a distinction between Christians and Catholics.
-Protestants don't pray to Mary or believe she is holy. Important, but not holy.
-Protestants don't believe that good deeds can save you.
-Protestants don't believe that communion really is Jesus Christ's flesh and blood, but rather they believe it follows Jesus's command: "Do this in remembrance of me."

Scripturally, there isn't much support of quite a lot of what Catholics believe. Mary for example. Where in the Bible does it say you should pray to Mary?

They don't believe in condoms, birth control, or anything like that. No contraceptives.

Oops, that turned into a rant. I'm sorry, but I just have personal issues with that church.

Now, those are differences between Catholics and protestants. What makes both of those groups Christians is one simple thing.
They both believe Christ redeemed them of their sins and cleanse them of all unrighteousness. Catholics have a different belief on how you go about that cleansing too.

[ February 19, 2004, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Protestants are just jealous because Catholics get to go to Heaven.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
But Catholics have to go through "purgatory" first in order to get there -- Protestants don't!

[Big Grin]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Protestants are just jealous because Catholics get to go to Heaven.
And you believe I'm not going there because I'm protestant?

Bullcrap! [Razz]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the whole idea behind this is that it is a dedicated catholic colony. By the time Ender gets there you're at least 3 generations away from the original settlers. The colonists lives revolve around their religion and for those born and raised on Lusitania most of their understanding and knowledge of other religions comes from their Catholic priests. They have no first hand experience of members of other religions. This situation tends to lead to isolationism and breeds contempt and prejudice for anyone different whether its religion or not.

OSC also hints that there are similar situations on other planets that have been colonised by different religious groups i.e. Calvinism on Trondheim etc. but the main difference is that Lusitania is totally isolated. Unlike other planets no one else was allowed to emigrate there after the original settlers because of the discovery of the piggies. So the idea of others being infidels just concentrated because there was nothing to dilute it.

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BattleSchooler06
Member # 6279

- posted      Profile for BattleSchooler06   Email BattleSchooler06         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm i noticed...most things in his book are eaither catholic christian or athiest...no jews....lol i wonder why (im jewish myself) and i dont really understand the infidel thing...and how is the speaker for the dead satans servent? i never really understood that one....would a jew be a satans servent too? interesting question
Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It truly is amazing, especially since the Protestant religion was just a rouge section of the Catholic church.

Considering the reason it split from the Catholic church I always find it hilarious to no end when the complain about divorce rates and about the ruining of marriage, but thats irony for you.

(runs and hides from the angry protestants with their pitchforks and torches).

p.s. truly meant as a joke, but I don't suppose that will stop the blows.

~NOTLockeTreaty

Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're confusing the Anglican split with the Lutheran Reformation.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe so, but who knows.

(goes back to hiding, hoping no one foundhis hiding place)

~NotLockeTreaty

Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Edie
Member # 5771

- posted      Profile for Grandma Edie   Email Grandma Edie         Edit/Delete Post 
A reponse to the question: Why no Jews in Card's fiction?
My guess (I have not asked him this) is that he is following the old rule of "Write what you know."
Obviously, he knows Mormons. He served (I forget how many years) in Brazil. He discovered the Brazillian Catholic culture, and encountered much narrow-mindedness and much broad mindedness, both of which made an impression.
So, Roman Catholic is the faith he is second-best acquainted with. When he got irritated at too many U.S. science-fiction writers who assumed that
the habitable universe would be inhabited exclusively by American types, he decided to use the Brazillian Catholic culture to put into space.
Ender is the child of a lapsed Catholic father and an inactive Mormon mother.
No one ever called Ender diabolical except an extremely narrow minded Catholic (Card, as a missionary, probably got called diabolical a few times). Alvin was considered diabolical by extremely narrow minded Puritans. In both cases, there was nothing personal. Just a symptom of narrow mindedness.
Incidentally, Catholics DID call non-Catholics "infidels" as late as the 1950s.

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Enchantment has Jews.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, Yozhik, why would that book come to mind for you? *wink*
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess technically the "Women of Genesis" series is not about Jews because Judah wasn't born yet. And Moses was a Levite.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
and how is the speaker for the dead satans servent? i never really understood that one.

I always felt that was somewhat personal on Bishop Peregrino's part...Ender representeed a threat to the power and authority he has established on Lusitania, and what better way to ward that off, in a highly religious community, that to refer to that threat as Satan's servant?

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Agent Orange
Member # 6310

- posted      Profile for Agent Orange   Email Agent Orange         Edit/Delete Post 
Scripturally, there isn't much support of quite a lot of what Catholics believe. Mary for example. Where in the Bible does it say you should pray to Mary?

As a former Catholic I feel I should point out that it's a little more subtle than simply "praying to Mary." When a Christian prays to God, one is asking specifically for God's intervention, for your self or for others, or maybe saying thanks, but always the implication is that you are communicating directly with Da Boss.

When a Catholic prays to a Saint (and remember, Mary is a Saint as recognised by the Catholic Church), s/he is asking that Saint to intercede on his/her behalf with God.

As a Saint, Mary doesn't answer prayers herself, but instead takes your case before the Throne and pleads for you, the same way any other Saint could. What makes Mary so different is that she's supposed to be the most merciful of the Saints. If you did something naughty and wanted a Saint to intercede for you, you wouldn't pray to St. Thomas Aquinas, for example.

As to the Satan's servant question,I think romanylass is on to something. Bishop Peregrino isn't just calling Ender the Servant of Satan as a propaganda tool though, he really believes it. Peregrino sees Ender not just as a humanist, but as a "H"umanist, a representative of a rival faith, one that happens to be the predominant faith in the 100 Worlds, and rather antithetical to Church doctrine, if not Christianity in general.

Peregrino, as a servant of God (one who is not kept humble by Cardinals, the Pope etc) has an inflated sense of his own place in the Church, and grants to his enemy a similarly lofty (if more evil) title. OSC himself mentions this when he discusses the attitude of the crowd just before Ender speaks Marcao's death. Peregrino has cast Ender's visit as a great struggle between Good and Evil, and acts according to that belief. His flock picks up on this of course.

Agent Orange
PS this is my first post here, so if I stepped on anyone's toes, be gentle, mkay?

[ March 10, 2004, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Agent Orange ]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chx
Member # 3388

- posted      Profile for chx   Email chx         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome [Wave] to Hatrack, Agent Orange!
Posts: 30 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Moses as a levite means nothing. Jews refer to themselves as the Sons of Israel, not as the Sons of Judah. Jew was just a title given to the nation at a later date...

btw - Orson Scott Card puts Rose the Nose in Ender's game who I believe is jewish. He speaks of the polemarchs or something as jewish, something about great jewish generals in Shadow puppets and Shadow of the hegemon...

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.