FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Short Stories You'd Like to Read as Novels

Author Topic: Short Stories You'd Like to Read as Novels
flyby
Member # 3630

- posted      Profile for flyby   Email flyby         Edit/Delete Post 
This is coming from two things. First, when I read the Ender's Game short story, and saw how much more it got into it from transformation from short story to novel, it made me want so many more of his short stories to be novels. The second thing is that I just finished Dust, and it just left me wanting so much more from it. Although I remember feeling like that after I read unaccompanied Sonata also. I love his short stories, they are so good, and they just leave me wanting more from their worlds.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that way about "Euminides in the fourth floor lavatory." Maybe not a novel, but it always fills me with murderous rage [Wall Bash] that you don't know wheither or not his wife sees them when she wakes up. That is probably the point but it still makes me mad. Oh, and "Fat farm", I want to know what his assignment is.... I'm sure I could use my imagination but I want to know it in the story.

[ May 17, 2004, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: gwan ]

Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Although I remember feeling like that after I read unaccompanied Sonata also.
Actually, I hope he never expands Unaccompanied Sonata. A big part of the pleasure of reading it, for me, was the way it was written, not just the story itself. It's one of the few stories which I found to be very nearly perfect. That would most likely be lost in an expansion.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that way about "Fat Farm". I feel that giving it much more explanation and expansion --ha! <----bitter hating body joke-- would just take away the power of the raw emotion. I don't think the story is ABOUT what happens to all the bodies. I don't want to know.

What I would like to see as a novel is "Eye For Eye". I think for that to happen the format of how it's written would have to change, but I think that except for the suprise of the name dropped at the end --here I am being intentially vague in order to not have spoilers--, not much would be lost from the transition, and much would be gained.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhapsody
Member # 6514

- posted      Profile for Rhapsody   Email Rhapsody         Edit/Delete Post 
in "Euminides in the fourth floor lavatory" the whole point is to use our imaginations it just wouldn't be the same if he told us what happend alot of storys are like that you wish the author would tell you more about this or that but the fact that they withold certain information is what makes the story so good
Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peruru Dragoon
Member # 2545

- posted      Profile for Peruru Dragoon   Email Peruru Dragoon         Edit/Delete Post 
Breaking the Game
A Thousand Deaths

I'm a big Worthing fan. [Smile]

Posts: 61 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
"A thousand deaths" wouldn't work. I think it was all wraped up rather well. Do you really want to read an entire book about someones skin getting ripped off. Or thier body being thrown into hot oil and cooked? I think not. it's a very good story which I enjoyed thoroghly, but its too sadistic to be any longer.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Porcelain Salamander could survive the translation into novel quite well, but I don't have any particular desire for it to happen. [Dont Know]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.