FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Funniest moments in OSC literature! (a spoiler-rich thread, of course) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Funniest moments in OSC literature! (a spoiler-rich thread, of course)
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to add to this thread... finally... lol

I'm only going to quote "The Seventh Son" for now (I'm reading it again for the 4th time - so its fresh on my mind).

I've always thought Chapter 7 had some of the funniest stuff I'd read, maybe its cause I'm a country hick myself. But if you'll forgive the length, I have to quote my favorite verbatim...

"All the excitement had Alvin Junior feeling pretty spunky, and he hadn't figured out yet that sometimes he ought to keep all that jumpiness locked up tight. It happened that Matilda, who was sixteen and fancied herself a lady, was walking up the stairs right in front of him. Everybody hated walking anywhere behind Matilda, she took such delicate, ladylike steps. Measure always said he'd rather walk in line behind the moon, cause it moved faster. Now Matilda's backside was right in Al Junior's face, swaying back and forth, and he thought of what Measure said about the moon, and reckoned how Matilda's backside was just about as round as the moon, and then he got to wondering what it would be like to touch the moon, and whether it would be hard like a beetle's back or squishy as a slug. And when a boy six years old who's already feeling spunky gets a thought like that in his head, it's not even half a second till his finger is two inches deep in delicate flesh." I love that paragraph.

Then of course that is followed a page later with the interaction between Al Sr. and Al Jr. at the outhouse. I love the part where Al Jr. doesn't know who is in there and he says "If you don't come out I'll do it right in front of the door so you'll step in it when you come out!" That reminded me of a few campouts with the Boy Scouts.

Sorry to be so long.

Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.