FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ender's Game theme song

Author Topic: Ender's Game theme song
Ginosion
Member # 7066

- posted      Profile for Ginosion   Email Ginosion         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a while ago I posted a thread saying that 'Ender will save us all' by dashbored confessionals would make the perfect theme song for Ender's Game the movie (which i know still has a big chance of not even becoming a movie). Well, I've changed my mind. My new choice is 'Carry on my Wayward son' by Kansas or 'Speaker for the Dead' by Gatsby's American Dream or 'Life Death' by Brazil.

Why am I posting this? Just to see if anyone agrees with me. Also, I would of posted it in the older thread, but I couldn't find it for some reason.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trpollen
Member # 8274

- posted      Profile for trpollen           Edit/Delete Post 
Anything by Eels would be a fine theme song.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
"Defy You" by The Offspring. That song is perfect.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
So I guess this means "The Itsy-Bitsy Spider" is out.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll go with what the author says.

Although I would like a song by Simon and Garfunkle.

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
The Notwist - One with the Freaks

I laughed aloud when I read the itsy bitsy spider crack, but now that I think about it...that works.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that "Defy You" is good because there is a group of people who don't give up, the Jeesh. Ender decides to do whatever he can to get out of Battle School, he is defying the teachers. And he uses his emotions to help him win. I just thought it was the most perfectly, perfect song ever!
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that any contemporary rock or pop song would really fit for something set so far in the future. I think the best choice for the movie would be to just create an original score.

Using Mark Knopfler if possible. [Cool]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
Anything by Radiohead would work swell, especially Reckoner.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oobie Binoobie
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for Oobie Binoobie   Email Oobie Binoobie         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest Afterglow. No, wait, don't beat me!!!!

<runs away>

Posts: 89 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted this on another OSC board, but I'll repeat it. The James Horner SCORE to "A Beautiful Mind" would fit appropriately to an Ender's Game film. This due to Ender's Game having some similar "feels" and "moods" to the story as "A Beautiful Mind" (as well as "Lord of the Flies", etc. etc.)

If you have access to the score, you may want to give it a spin, close your eyes and picture the scenes that it would support. That and perhaps James Horner's "Bicentennial Man" as it's very similar.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
Must resist the urge to say something cynical and sarcastic. [Wall Bash]

Ok...

I think pop music works great in films such as "Hitch" and "Garden State" but for a sci-fi drama I prefer a lush orchestral score with melodic themes...but, that's just me and being as I'm going on 36 makes me old fashioned. [Wink]

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
<Agree> James Horner is awsome. I have the Glory soundtrack, and the Braveheart soundtrack which he also did and he would be perfect.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/antsgo.htm
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
<Agree> James Horner is awsome. I have the Glory soundtrack, and the Braveheart soundtrack which he also did and he would be perfect.

yeah, Horner has a tendancy to repeat himself....in fact, that's all he really seems to do anymore. if you use his, go with Wrath of Khan!
Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
uvscwolverine
Member # 8243

- posted      Profile for uvscwolverine   Email uvscwolverine         Edit/Delete Post 
How about the Super Mario Bros. theme song from the original NES?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpEeDMaSTeR
Member # 7568

- posted      Profile for SpEeDMaSTeR   Email SpEeDMaSTeR         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall the composer's name, but he does the work for most of M. Night Shyamalan's films such as "Signs," "The Village," "Unbreakable," and the "Sixth Sense." All of these have the same ominous and dramatic feel, but are great at setting a mood.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Must resist the urge to say something cynical and sarcastic.

Ok...

I think pop music works great in films such as "Hitch" and "Garden State" but for a sci-fi drama I prefer a lush orchestral score with melodic themes...but, that's just me and being as I'm going on 36 makes me old fashioned.

Beware of mentioning "pop" and "Radiohead" in the same sentence, or the more rabid fans will give you the bends, render you an amnesiac, steal your soul and scream "HAIL TO THE THIEF!"

After tattooing okComputer on your forehead.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 17 and I have read all of Mr. Card's series and I have to agree with Steev, I feel an orchestral theme would be perfect. Something slow and deep, as they show the first Bugger War and etc. the music could speed up just a little and then fade as they move into Ender's home. This would set a background for later, when they could use that same theme to illustrate more dramatic points. I am assuming you are all speaking about the movie of course.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
Beware of mentioning "pop" and "Radiohead" in the same sentence, or the more rabid fans will give you the bends, render you an amnesiac, steal your soul and scream "HAIL TO THE THIEF!"

After tattooing okComputer on your forehead.

[ROFL]
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leaf
Member # 7880

- posted      Profile for Leaf   Email Leaf         Edit/Delete Post 
Although the movie was.... sort of unnecessary (that's the nice word... you'll know what I mean) I think the soundtrack to Solaris would be fitting, because it is orchestral plus electronic (with different songs of course). I guess that's why it was appropriate for solaris, since it was future-set. But that would be cool. As far as pop goes though, perhaps...
Die eir von satan - by tool. If you've never heard it, check it out, and you'll agree - [Wink]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

Die Eir Von Satan? Isn't it a recipe for something (in German)?

I'm not sure that's the best choice for Ender...

RunningBear
Member # 8477

Um... I know a little about german and that sounds like The (?)Eir(?) of Satan. Not sure what Eir is.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leaf
Member # 7880

Well OBVIOUSLY it was not serious (please refer to the *wink at the end of that message.) But the first part I was serious about.
Also...
Die Eir Von Satan = The eggs of Satan. It is a recipe but I'm not sure what it is for, but it reads like a WW II war time speech... if you know german it is sort of amusing. Anyways... it is a ridiculous song and completely unsuitable for the movie. I was just kidding... as if saying enders game movie = no pop music.
Its just a bad idea for any good movie to have that.. except bill and teds excellent adventure....

Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

Ok, good. makes me think of scrambled eggs with just a pinch of brimstone.
RunningBear
Member # 8477

I know what the perfect theme would be, Mephistopheles by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, it has all of the sorrow and spirit with the periods of intense action. And if not that, then any other song by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dir en grey's 24 Cylinders reminds me of Ender's Game for some reason... So perhaps that would work.
I am overdue to reread that book. Perhaps I'll buy it instead of checking it out of the library which is punishing me for being addicted to books.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
Well OBVIOUSLY it was not serious (please refer to the *wink at the end of that message.) But the first part I was serious about.
Also...
Die Eir Von Satan = The eggs of Satan. It is a recipe but I'm not sure what it is for, but it reads like a WW II war time speech... if you know german it is sort of amusing. Anyways... it is a ridiculous song and completely unsuitable for the movie. I was just kidding... as if saying enders game movie = no pop music.
Its just a bad idea for any good movie to have that.. except bill and teds excellent adventure....

sorry, i knew you were joking, and it was pretty funny [Wink]
Leaf
Member # 7880

*mr. burns voice* (plus hand movement)

Excellent.....

Tigger
Member # 8171

- posted      Profile for Tigger   Email Tigger         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have to say that at first blush I poo-poohed the idea of "Wayward Son" and then I sang the song in my head, and then I googled the lyrics to see if I remembered correctly, and I must say they actually do fit (IMHO)- a remake, perhaps?

For memory refreshers for others, the lyrics from: Carry On, Wayward Son

quote:
Carry On Wayward Son
KANSAS

Carry on my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more

Once I rose above the noise and confusion
Just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion
I was soaring ever higher
But I flew too high
Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man
Though my mind could think I still was a mad man
I can hear the voices when I'm dreaming
I can hear them say

Carry on my wayward son
Don't you cry no more

Masquerading as a man with a reason
My charade is the event of the season
And if I claim to be a wise man
It surely means that I don't know
On a stormy sea of moving emotion
Tossed about I'm like a ship on the ocean
I set a course for winds of fortune
But I hear the voices say

Carry on my wayward son
Don't you cry no more
No!
Carry on
You will always remember
Carry on
Nothing equals the splendor
Now your life's no longer empty
Surely heaven waits for you

Carry on my wayward son
Don't you cry no more

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SpEeDMaSTeR:
I don't recall the composer's name, but he does the work for most of M. Night Shyamalan's films such as "Signs," "The Village," "Unbreakable," and the "Sixth Sense." All of these have the same ominous and dramatic feel, but are great at setting a mood.

James Newton Howard.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TZM
Member # 8610

- posted      Profile for TZM           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:

I dont know... it could work XD

How about 'One winged Angel?'

Okay fine, I'm into Final Fantasy, so sue me... *walks away grumbling*

Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginosion
Member # 7066

- posted      Profile for Ginosion   Email Ginosion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TZM:
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:

I dont know... it could work XD

How about 'One winged Angel?'

Okay fine, I'm into Final Fantasy, so sue me... *walks away grumbling*

Its okay (i bet secrety Orson is final tantasy fan, lol).

I like where your going though, I'm not too sure one winged angel would fit but and song from Nobuo Uematsu would be very nice.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TZM
Member # 8610

- posted      Profile for TZM           Edit/Delete Post 
*shrugs* maybe something in that general area... that type of music, not sure which one it was, but you know what i meen. Something well orchestrated with that sort of singing in the background... kinda like they had for Advent Rising...

heh, not to qoute other Card works... lol.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

Like Trans-Siberian Orchestra!
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of like Masters of War by Bob Dylan.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Are we talking an orchestrated theme, or an actual song with lyrics? If a song then something by Radiohead might be a good choice - it would be sufficiently dark, although perhaps too negative.

Or, how about a version of Disarm by the Smashing Pumpkins:

quote:
I used to be a little boy
So old in my shoes
And what I choose is my choice
What's a boy supposed to do
The killer in me is the killer in you
My love - I send a smile over to you

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I think an original piece by Lex de Azevedo, Janice Kapp Perry, or Michael McLean could be really good.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RynoW1
Member # 8365

- posted      Profile for RynoW1   Email RynoW1         Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly think that the orchestration for Ender's Game should be by Philip Glass.

Listen to "The Hours" soundtrack and read the book. Its a really cool experience and I think goes perfectly.

I agree about not putting pop music in the movie.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.