FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC: BSG?

Author Topic: OSC: BSG?
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
Battlestar Galactica?

(The new one, that is.)

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark
Member # 6393

- posted      Profile for Mark   Email Mark         Edit/Delete Post 
Judgeing from his essay at the beginning of "Future on Ice", I bet this is a show he would like if he doesn't already.

All that stuff about what makes a society reminds me of some of his stuff as well.

It's no firefly though

Posts: 94 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

I haven't seen Firefly, so I can't comment on that, and I just started watching Lost (got the DVDs), so I can't claim BSG is the best show on TV (yet)....but it's gotta be right up there.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
BSG: Big Scary Guy?
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get into it, and I generally love even the campiest of Sci-fi shows (i.e. Stargate up until this new season). I might need to give it a try from the beginning, though.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMCSteel
Member # 6321

- posted      Profile for AMCSteel   Email AMCSteel         Edit/Delete Post 
SCi- Fi channel has picked up Firefly repeats. So I am catching the show that way. So far I like it, but it is no BSG. Though it is like compairing apples to oranges. Hey if there are 2 great sci-fi series out there then GREAT.

On a side note. Sci-fi carring Firefly like this is the same thing it did with SG1 before they picked that up. They are seeing if they can get rating on the show, and if Serenity does well, I bet the station will try and pick it back up. That is if it can get most of the original cast back.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
I can't get into it, and I generally love even the campiest of Sci-fi shows (i.e. Stargate up until this new season). I might need to give it a try from the beginning, though.

Yeah, you may as well not even bother if you don't start at the, erm, start.
TZM
Member # 8610

- posted      Profile for TZM           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it myself, but my dad didnt for some reason, he hated that they chanhed some characters genders and such. So what... i'm glad it isnt another star trek right now... i liked it but cant watch it, he refuses to watch it with me and its the only way ic an... lol. God... 18 years old and still cant watch what i want XD
Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DF2506
Member # 6847

- posted      Profile for DF2506   Email DF2506         Edit/Delete Post 
I like both Firefly and the new Battlestar Galatica quiete a bit.

IF I had to choose which one I liked the best, I'd prob go with Battlestar Galatica (never cared for the old one, but this new one is amazing).

That said, I know last week I liked the Firefly rerun better then the new Battlestar (which I still thought was really good, its just I enjoyed Firefly more).

I'd say, overall, Battlestar is the best, but you know Firefly is really awesome too. And the movie is going to be VERY good (maybe even great). Can't wait for it!

DF2506
" I'd say right now I'm liking Battlestar Galatica and Firefly the best on Sci-Fi Fridays, though I am enjoying the new Stargate alot (Ben Browder is cool). I'm prob liking Atlantis the least. Its just not as good as that first season so far."

Posts: 128 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

cough*bump*cough
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't seem to get into Firefly, but I'm an avid BSG fan. [Smile] There's some good, good stuff on that show.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

I know! I wonder what OSC thinks.....

*cough*

archon
Member # 8008

- posted      Profile for archon           Edit/Delete Post 
Firefly is definitely the superior show when it comes to characters and their development, however Battlestar Galactica is cool in it's own right. I'm a bigger Firefly fan than I am a Galactica fan, but Galactica is fun to watch and I haven't missed an episode. Galactica is a series that actually benefits no matter what from a DVD release due to the fact that it wasn't shot in high definition in the first place, so this new DVD set from them this past week rocks.
Posts: 50 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you all know that in an episode of Battelstar a Firefly class ship flies by through a window?

http://www.poobala.com/battlestarandfirefly.html

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AMCSteel:
SCi- Fi channel has picked up Firefly repeats. So I am catching the show that way. So far I like it, but it is no BSG. Though it is like compairing apples to oranges. Hey if there are 2 great sci-fi series out there then GREAT.

On a side note. Sci-fi carring Firefly like this is the same thing it did with SG1 before they picked that up. They are seeing if they can get rating on the show, and if Serenity does well, I bet the station will try and pick it back up. That is if it can get most of the original cast back.

I think this is a little different than Stargate. The same company that runs Sci Fi channel/NBC and others runs the studio that made the movie Serenity. I think they put it on Sci Fi to get people to go see the movie. The whole cast has signed on to do sequels if the movie is a hit.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chuck7
Member # 8645

- posted      Profile for chuck7   Email chuck7         Edit/Delete Post 
BSG and Firefly are both great, but nothing holds a candel to Farscape.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose the ____
Member # 7791

- posted      Profile for Rose the ____   Email Rose the ____         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen, pertaining to that link, that plausibility that Firefly came after Galactica returning to earth doesn't work. The intro bits for Firefly talk about the great expanse, where people give up on earth and go everywhere. but note in the show there's many things that clearly express earth culture, and a strong connection to the Chinese language and culture are in the show - makes sense as they're basically the next superpower in the world and growing fast - neway - yeah. Firefly before Galactica, if anything. but probably just a funny lil' easter-egg - the stories just don't fit.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Got the first episode of BG for this season on our DVR, and we're looking forward to watching it Real Soon Now.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little confused Mr. Card. Do you mean the first episode of BSG of the first season, or the first episode of this second season? In other words, have you seen the first season or are you just starting to watch the series with the second season? The latter would be hard to follow.

The ultimate question is, have you seen the new BSG and what do you think of it? By the way, I think you should write an episode and see if you can get it filmed. It really needs a Mormon writer at least once -- although not an overtly Mormon story.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Got the first episode of BG for this season on our DVR, and we're looking forward to watching it Real Soon Now.

*pumps fist victoriously*
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
Note: Season 1 DVDs are now available pretty much everywhere, which include the pilot miniseries. All of this falls under the category of "must-watch."
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cr1spy
Member # 8407

- posted      Profile for Cr1spy   Email Cr1spy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by chuck7:
BSG and Firefly are both great, but nothing holds a candel to Farscape.

Why is that fans of one show are always stating how much better their show is. Apparently I can only enjoy my show is if the other shows suck.

I enjoy SG1, BSG, and I am just now watching all of Firefly. Enjoy them for what they are.

BTW Farscape blows and you guys need to get over the fact that it is over.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chuck7
Member # 8645

Wow, that was unnecessary. I did not say that either Firefly or BSG "suck". As a matter of fact, if you were to actually read the line that you quoted, I said that "BSG and Firefly are both great". I watch BSG regularly, and I watched the entire series of Firefly on DVD, and plan on buying them. I happen to feel that Farscape was a better show. That doesn’t mean that the others have to be bad.

If your next point is that this post is not about Farscape, then I request that you please take note that the post was also not about Firefly originally, but that someone brought that show into the discussion just as I brought Farscape into the discussion. Pardon me for that. I was unaware that there was an upper limit of 2 to the number of great sci-fi shows being discussed in this thread.

You are right, Farscape has been canceled just as Firefly has. Both shows were great, and in my opinion both were victims of short sighted networks.

So for the record, I love all three shows, I just have a favorite. Please do not accuse me of the bigotry that you exemplify.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
BSG is an amazing show. It's defiantly probably the darkest show on TV at the moment. Today my brother said it makes "Lost" look optimistic. Which is saying alot. I love politics in my TV that's done well, and I feel that this one is done very well.

I just have one problem with it:

Why did the second season have to end like that? I can't wait for the season premiere. That was one intense episode.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Domini
Member # 3880

- posted      Profile for Domini   Email Domini         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't watch too much SFF TV...I prefer books instead. Most SFF TV feels too short/rushed/focused-only-on-the-OOOH!SHINY!PRETTY! of SFF instead of the ideas behind it.

That said, the new Battlestar Galactica is the best SFF show on television right now, the only one I've been watching or following, and *I* think it's one of the best SFF shows ever on, period.

However, you really should start at the beginning with the miniseries if you're going to watch it...like someone else said, Season One, including the miniseries which is like a super-long season premiere, is in the stores now. [Smile]

BSG tends towards the long story arcs, and the start of Season Two is basically a wrap up of several arcs from Season One, and probably won't make much sense or have the same emotional impact without first seeing Season One, although I did manage to get a friend who hadn't seen the miniseries or season one into it mid-Season-Two, so perhaps I'm wrong...I started it with the miniseries, myself. (Best blind purchase from Borders that I ever made. I picked the miniseries up, thinking it was going to suck...and boy was I wrong!)

Anyway...good series. Very good series.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chuck7
Member # 8645

I think they ended it that way because the Sci-Fi network seems to be overly addicted to cliffhangers. Every one of the Friday night shows ended on a cliffhanger this ½ season. I guess they are really that scared that no one is going to come back in December/January. I love Sci-Fi TV shows, but I really don’t care for the Sci-Fi network. They keep giving up on great shows. Personally, I thought that The Chronicle was very good, but they killed it after a single season I think. They seem to be doing better with the StarGates and BSG, so with any hope these will all be around for a long time to come.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad to learn that BSG is not "bi-sexual/gay". Which I know says more about me than you.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cr1spy
Member # 8407

- posted      Profile for Cr1spy   Email Cr1spy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by chuck7:
Wow, that was unnecessary. I did not say that either Firefly or BSG "suck". As a matter of fact, if you were to actually read the line that you quoted, I said that "BSG and Firefly are both great". I watch BSG regularly, and I watched the entire series of Firefly on DVD, and plan on buying them. I happen to feel that Farscape was a better show. That doesn’t mean that the others have to be bad.

If your next point is that this post is not about Farscape, then I request that you please take note that the post was also not about Firefly originally, but that someone brought that show into the discussion just as I brought Farscape into the discussion. Pardon me for that. I was unaware that there was an upper limit of 2 to the number of great sci-fi shows being discussed in this thread.

You are right, Farscape has been canceled just as Firefly has. Both shows were great, and in my opinion both were victims of short sighted networks.

So for the record, I love all three shows, I just have a favorite. Please do not accuse me of the bigotry that you exemplify.

Chuck7, my apologies. I did not mean to speak as venomously as that may have come out. It is a bit of residual bitterness. I just get tired of all of the "Farscape is so great" stuff I have to weed through. There is way too much bashing of other shows.

I hope you recognize that my "Farscape blows" comment was completely out of character with the message of the prior paragraph. I am not as blessed in conveying sarcasm in print as I am person.

Much apologies and may Farscape live forever.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:

So, ah, check it out yet?
ballantrae
Member # 6731

- posted      Profile for ballantrae   Email ballantrae         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah. Clearly none of you miscreants and villains have seen the new Dr. Who! If you did, you would know that Dr. Who is THE greatest Sci Fi show of all time!

MUHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAH!

um... well, I like it at least.

-ron

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

bump, cause this is likely the most important question OSC has ever been asked about television.....
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - I've never watched BSG, but I'm gonna have to check out the DVD's. I can't imagine a better SF than Firefly, and I didn't get to see it until after it's cancellation (one of the drawbacks to living in the country, your entertainment choices are limited). Now that I have satellite and a DVR, I have a few more options - the local cows are safe from tipping!
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

Please tell me you've seen this show, Mr. Card!
BryanP
Member # 7772

It kills me that OSC doesn't seem to be watching this show...
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
BryanP, I wouldn't be so impatient. OSC is checking the threads now and then, but don't expect day-by-day replies. He's too busy wrinting books and I can't blame him for that. [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

Haha, I never expect a reply, the one I got in this thread was more than expected. But he's never mentioned it in his "OSC Reviews Everything" column, so I assume he's not watched it, or at least isn't a fan. Which is too bad. But you'll also notice this thread hasn't been bumped since February.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
BryanP, OSC did reply! [Smile]

quote:

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it sounds to me like he does watch??? Could be wrong though! I love BSG it is greatness every Friday night!

[ October 20, 2006, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: B34N ]

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.