FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC, You and Me, We Disagree (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OSC, You and Me, We Disagree
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Italians should be so lucky as to get pizza as good as ours.
I've seen a lot of whacked out things on this website-- Universe People, Lizard People, Cat People...Liberal Mormons...

But this really takes the cake, and I'm going to have to call you on it.

Italian pizza is OBJECTIVELY and QUANTIFIABLY better than anything by the same name in the US.

Fly me to Italy, and I'll prove it to you. I spent two years there, and I can take you to the best pizza place in the world.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I BEG TO DIFFER!!

The US may have lower standards when it comes to many other foods, but it takes the pie when it comes to pizza.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I offered my credentials: two years of wandering the cities and towns of Italy, tasting the wares.

Back up your slander with something more than capitalization, scalawag.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Where have you had pizza in the U.S., Scott? That's the real question.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
Pizza is Hungarian anyway.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been to Italy, so I can't say anything about real Italian pizza. But here in the U.S. of A.--there's nothing like a nice slice of plain cheese pizza from a New York pizzeria, the kind you fold in half to eat and the oil drips from it, lots of oregano in the seasoning--yum. I've never developed a taste for the various other forms of pizza found around the country.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh-uh. The best pizza is Hawaiian.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Oh, Joldo. Oh dear oh dear. *shakes head sadly*
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Uh-uh. The best pizza is Hawaiian.
Ick.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you spend your time in Italy? I spent two years in Italy myself and I much prefer American "authentic" Italian pizza to actual Italian pizza. I was mostly in southern Italy, San Vito de Normani, Caravigno, Brindisi area and their pizza was not that great at all. Could be regional differences in pizza making just like we have in the States?
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kit the Odd
Member # 4975

- posted      Profile for Kit the Odd   Email Kit the Odd         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, when we can't even get people to agree on thin-crust, pan-style, hand-tossed, or deep-dish let alone hawaian, pepperoni, meat-lovers, plain cheese, supreme, chicken & bacon (one of my favorites), or any other set of toppings...

I think Italian vs US is going to end up being a matter of personal opinion more than anything else.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
The best pizza in the world comes from Café La Brezza in the Marina Grande of Capri.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, Late Night Pie in Midtown Houston is the best pizza I've ever had.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
The best pizza in the world is made by me. No sauce. I challenge anybody to make something better than that.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I make a damn fine pizza myself. Though OSC has never had it. Maybe I should FedEx him one.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, everyone make a pizza and mail it to OSC. Personally, I'm gonna use USPS, cause my pizza needs to ferment a little.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

I have had italian pizza and it does not have that thick and mmmmmmm feeling that a huge slice of pepperoni/sausage/extra cheese with oregano and basil pizza does...

Homemade all the way...

I dont think I can mail my pizza though,

because it is EXPLOSIVE!

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

by the way, I am not a northerner who has moved to the south to take advantage of economic peril!

Didnt think I knew the definition of scalawag did you!

you carpetbagger!

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Um. Actually, a scalawag is a southerner who joins the Republican party during Reconstruction. It's the carpetbaggers that are northerners moving south. [Smile]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought a scalawag was someone who doesn't know the difference between a possessive and a contraction.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

LOL, thanks for the link, Papa. I'll have to remember that catchy little jingle!
RunningBear
Member # 8477

That is not what I was told.

I was... oops.

I was wrong.

CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Strong Bad. The ultimate authority on everything.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...the best pizza I ever had was made by a really good cook in a small fishing village in Mexico.....beans on a pizza....who would've thought....
Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Old Chicago pizza in Omaha used to make awesome steak pizza, with steak sauce instead of red sauce. It ruled so much, I can't even tell you.

Of course, it was a promotional item, and they only made it for about 6 months.

Way to go places, always discontinuing your best tasting food. D-holes!

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

The word scalawag has historical connotations, true. However, the word today has lost that meaning. It no longer has anything to do with the Reconstruction.

quote:
I spent two years in Italy myself and I much prefer American "authentic" Italian pizza to actual Italian pizza. I was mostly in southern Italy, San Vito de Normani, Caravigno, Brindisi area and their pizza was not that great at all. Could be regional differences in pizza making just like we have in the States?
You're in denial. You've been so long away from good food, you've imagined something that doesn't exist-- namely that the American profanity known as "pizza" resembles the Italian divinity of the same name.

I served a mission for the LDS church in northern Italy-- in Chivasso, Cuneo, Settimo Torinese, and Milano. So I know pizza, and I know divinity. And the twain meet and merge in Italy. [Smile]

Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmmm...the best pizza I ever had was made by a really good cook in a small fishing village in Mexico.....beans on a pizza....who would've thought....
Yes, And if you forget to order "tomato" you don't get tomato sauce on it eather. The gringos sometimes call it quesadilla.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bCurt
Member # 5476

- posted      Profile for bCurt   Email bCurt         Edit/Delete Post 
The best pizza I have ever had was at an Italian restaurant in Belgium. The American "Italian" pizza I have had to date doesn't come remotely close.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

Scott, pizza is specificaly Southern Italian/Neopolitan and was not known in N. Italy until introduced by Americans. The Pizza in Capri is better than in Florence or Rome.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
The best Pizza is my homemade pizza.
Thick crust, plenty of pepperoni, ample cheese, and sauce spiced just right. Wow… nothing better.
Yum.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
pizza is specificaly Southern Italian/Neopolitan and was not known in N. Italy until introduced by Americans.
You're going to have to back that statement up.

At any rate-- the best pizza is made by two brothers from southern Italy in a ghetto outside Torino. The second best pizza in the world is made by a pizzeria owned by another southern italian family in the town of Chivasso.

Aryei
Member # 9025

- posted      Profile for Aryei   Email Aryei         Edit/Delete Post 
I make the best bagel pizzas in existence :-]. sorta- not that I've tried anyone elses. And Hawaiian pizza does rock. at least in Maui, there's a neat lil' place to the north? of Haleakala - northeastish, near the shore, I forgot the name of the place. Oh, and pizza in Greece is almost as good as upstate NY pizza, which I like because most of the places I get it from make it less oily and saucy and more cheezy and crunchy than in NYC. I don't so much like the grease when it's spilling, I like it better when it's absorbed or not even noticable.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aryei
Member # 9025

- posted      Profile for Aryei   Email Aryei         Edit/Delete Post 
but, yeah, overall, America has pizza down, and I'm sure at least half our states do it equal or better than any other nation. for now.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

"Modern pizza is attributed to baker Raffaele Esposito of Naples in the Italian region of Campania. In 1889 Esposito, working in the pizzeria "Pietro... e basta così" (literally "Peter... and that's enough", established in 1890 and still operating under the name "Pizzeria Brandi"), baked three different pizze[1] for the visit of King Umberto I and Queen Margherita of Savoy. The pizza preferred by the Queen was very patriotic, evoking the Italian flag in its colors of green (basil leaves), white (mozzarella), and red (tomatoes). It was named Pizza Margherita in honor of the Queen. This set the standard by which today's pizza evolved and spread worldwide[1]."
—Wikipedia

chickenfeet
Member # 9451

- posted      Profile for chickenfeet           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Okay, everyone make a pizza and mail it to OSC. Personally, I'm gonna use USPS, cause my pizza needs to ferment a little.

Yum! Do you put sauerkraut on your pizza too? Delicious!
Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Pelegius, this is the part of your statement that needs explanation...

quote:
pizza ... was not known in N. Italy until introduced by Americans.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The best pizza I have ever had was at an Italian restaurant in Belgium.
Oddly, the best pizza I've ever had was in a Belgian restaurant in Haifa, Israel. Seriously.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the Chinese (Or Japanese, I can't remember which) made the first "pizzas". Then someone (Marco Polo?) brought the idea to Italy, where it became our modern pizza. Either way, homemade pizza is the best, if you can make it.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
M Cow, Old Chicago still does make some awesome pizzas, that's for sure. I do chicken with red onions and sometimes garlic. None of that thin crust crap either! Deep dish all the way. I have never been there when they've made the pizza you're speaking of.

When was it you were visiting our fine city? Next time let us know you're coming and we'll have lunch!

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost wasn't going to read this thread because it was going to be about Bush, or gay marriage. Phew.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it all has to do with the environment in which the pizza is consumed. I don't think an Italian pizza made in Italy would taste nearly as good if eaten within the ambiance of a family room. Nor would a deep dish greasy Chicago style pizza taste good if it was being eaten outside on a street cafe, served by heavily accented, broken-english speaking, Italian waiters.

With the right backdrops though, the respectable personal Italian delights and American family pizzas can not be compared in any manner. They are like different species that share a genus; both wonderful in their own sense.

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, what about pizza eaten in a parent's bedroom while watching 'Corpse Bride' and 'Theif Lord'?
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bCurt
Member # 5476

- posted      Profile for bCurt   Email bCurt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oddly, the best pizza I've ever had was in a Belgian restaurant in Haifa, Israel. Seriously.
Actually, not too surprising. Some of the best pizza around here is made by a Venezuelan immigrant who also makes some great Gyros.

[ June 26, 2006, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: bCurt ]

Posts: 134 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

Scott, oh, that is something I was told in Italy by a Belgian folk singer/art historian and is thus, like all my other travel stories, perfectly and completly accurate; however, I am only truely infallible when speaking ex cathedra.
Kit the Odd
Member # 4975

- posted      Profile for Kit the Odd   Email Kit the Odd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeesh:
Hmm, what about pizza eaten in a parent's bedroom while watching 'Corpse Bride' and 'Theif Lord'?

Papa John's or Pizza Hut delivery.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're in denial. You've been so long away from good food, you've imagined something that doesn't exist-- namely that the American profanity known as "pizza" resembles the Italian divinity of the same name.
You're making me hungry for American pizza.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

whats with the belgians and pizza?

I may have to visit and sample all the belgian pizzas I can find.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Giordano's pizza in Chicago. Best stuffed pizza in the universe; best pizza anywhere.

Or so I recall. <sniff>

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

RB, maybe it's not so much Belgian pizza as Belgian beer with pizza [Smile]
Crocobar
Member # 9102

- posted      Profile for Crocobar   Email Crocobar         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to believe ScottR. I am yet to try Italian pizza though. So far the best pizza (by far) is thin crust Arinell cheese pizza in Berkeley. I assume it's much like italian since it looks and tastes nothing like typical american pizza. And yes, it is that kind that is very thin so you can fold it in two when eating.
Posts: 114 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.