FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Shadows in Flight: Possible connections (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Shadows in Flight: Possible connections
Rome
Member # 12263

- posted      Profile for Rome   Email Rome         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ticonderouga:
Bean's ship would certainly have an ansible, after all the idea was for Bean to remain at relativistic speeds until a cure could be found they would need a way to communicate this fact and considering that it was Bean who first suggested using the fantasy game to manage Ender's pension, and using it to find Bean's kids, Jane should be well aware of Beans existence and his need for a cure. The only question is whether bean himself will still be alive to reach Lusitania.

Right. Remembered as such. I wonder how OSC will reconcile the omission about Bean and his kids for all that time. Again obviously he couldn't know... but still.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticonderouga
Member # 12267

- posted      Profile for ticonderouga           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure, OSC didn't even start the Shadow books until long after Children of the Mind was released. Ender in Exile talks a little about Bean and his kids but I do not recall whether Ender knew about Beans flight, but it was supposed to be a very closely held secret. However even if Jane immediately sent a signal to Bean it could take a long time for Bean's ship to reach Lusitania, unless Jane brings them via outside. I do however think that their will be plenty of places for good story to develop with the Beanie Babies.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that in all that 3,000 years, genetic manipulation has advanced as can be seen by the 'Godspoken of Path'. But no real cure was found until Jane and other conceived of 'Outside'.

Once they had that idea, they had to prove it, and once proven, they had other problems to worry about. Problems like their imminent death from the Driscolata virus, and the approaching fleet with its 'Dr. Device'. Compounded further by the shutdown of the Ansible in a effort to kill Jane. They had their hands full.

As to Jane communicating with Bean, remember when Jane explains herself ... to someone?.... She says she has many many many levels of activity. Most are on auto-pilot.

Because she was so tightly tied to Ender, her consciousness was on him. But her subconscious could have easily been on Bean. She could have been paying Bean's bills as he restocked for food or upgrades to his ship. She, on one of here lower levels, might have even communicated with Bean in a somewhat formal business-like way. To let him know he had money, where he could be find certain supplies, or best place to update his libraries, or get his ship retro fitted, etc....

But I don't see her with a personal relationship with Bean, as she had with Ender.

However, now that things have settled down on Lusitania, thoughts could turn to Bean and his fate. Perhaps Valentine will mention that it is too bad their discovery didn't come in time to save Bean, and Jane will reply that Bean's kids are still wandering the universe waiting for that cure.

That would set into motion Jane contacting the Beanie Babies, and explaining the possibility of a cure.

So, I am making two points.

1.) OSC card doesn't need to explain the Beanies coming into the story, or why no one called them before. NOW is the prefect time to call them. And, since it has been 3,000 years. Likely most have forgotten that he even existed.

But Jane has not forgotten, she simply needs to be reminded that they are out there waiting for a cure. And that NOW they actually have a cure.

2.) Jane could have been managing and helping Bean and his kids on something of a Subconscious level. She was doing her duty, just as she preformed billion of operations per second everyday. But her conscious mind was with Ender. I can see her conscious mind not having thought about Bean, because up until now, there was nothing to think about.

As to Bean himself, going into space would only extend his life briefly; a couple to a few more year of real time. I think the real time equivalent of 3,000 relativistic years is far too long for Bean to have survived.

However, this is one of the great unresolved plot lines of the other books. Bean just vanishes with no indication of what happens to him or his kids. You can't create a character like Bean, and not finish his story. I need to know what happened to Bean, what his life was like, how he lived and how he died, because, without that, Bean's story remains forever untold.

Bean doesn't have to tell it personally, but that story has to be told, even if it is only recounted by his kids.

Steve/bluewizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 12278

- posted      Profile for 12496   Email 12496         Edit/Delete Post 
My theory is that Bean went into the Outside and accidentally created a pseudo-Ender. He then converted his spirit-thing into it just before he died, creating a being with all the attributes Bean thinks Ender has, Bean's mind, and a normal lifespan. His children will soon follow suit.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rome
Member # 12263

- posted      Profile for Rome   Email Rome         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 12496:
My theory is that Bean went into the Outside and accidentally created a pseudo-Ender. He then converted his spirit-thing into it just before he died, creating a being with all the attributes Bean thinks Ender has, Bean's mind, and a normal lifespan. His children will soon follow suit.

I haven't been poking through these forums for very long, but i think the idea you just posed is a very cool idea. i personally think the series took a big downturn when it got all about aiua's and such. But your idea strikes me as an original thought.

the only problem is that jane didn't even understand the outside thing until way after bean would have been dead right? I might have my timeline wrong, but I don't think it would add up.

But i love your thinking!

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silas
Member # 5220

- posted      Profile for Silas   Email Silas         Edit/Delete Post 
With the Bean and Ender series there have both been introductions (either spoken as in Ender's Game, or later with the rest of both series in the form of documents and emails). It think this is going to be most of where we see Bean in the story. His writings that he's left.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
h
Member # 12306

- posted      Profile for h           Edit/Delete Post 
In Cotm peter said that jane would transport all ships in flight to their destinations. I wonder how that will affect Bean/ his kids?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sambeckett
Member # 12345

- posted      Profile for sambeckett   Email sambeckett         Edit/Delete Post 
i think osc wrote the speaker for the dead with all this in mind. the family on lusitania is petra's and bean's normal children's decendants. the colony speaks portuguese. bean lived in ribeirao preto with sister carlotta. they spoke portuguese. the family name is ribeira on lusitania. any thoughts?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kata
Member # 9524

- posted      Profile for Kata           Edit/Delete Post 
From what OSC said in one of his audio-books (Ender's Shadow). He began to think about writing a book about Bean later on, when he was discussing this with a friend (I don't recall the name).

I don't think that he planned this in advanced, but I think that he fit in the Shadow books what he had already written in the first 4.

I do think that the people on Path are somehow related to Beans condition.

In the next book, if Bean happens to be alive, my guess is that he is as Volescu said, a big mass of flesh that fills the ship.

I would like to see in the next book what happened to Bean's children that remained on Earth with Petra (the ones that didn't had his condition).

Since it likely that Petra and Peter would have told them about Bean not being dead (and about their other brother that was not found) it is possible that one of them would go to look for them (maybe even take with him/her/them one of Peter and Petra's child). Maybe at one point, they meat along the way with Randall and continue their journey together.

It would make an interesting point in the story the meeting between one of the original Peter's child and this new version of Peter that Ender created.

If Bean is alive and has grown so big that he can barely fit in the ship (or compartments of the ship) his shouldn't be able to speak anymore, the only way to communicate would be by the means of computers.

The meeting between all parties (Peter and Wang-Mu, Jana and Miro, Bean + his kids, Bean's other kids) would be tricky to write. If this is not orchestrated correctly, it would ruin the book.

Jane's connection to all the ansible (and implicitly Bean's ship) could be an explication for this. Another variant would be that Bean + his kids hear about the Descolada and head towards Lusitania.

An explanation about the new Peter would be nice to have (is he Peter?, is he Ender?). He could be partially Peter, partially Ender.

Well, I have a lot more ideas but I leave them be for now. [Smile]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ender.bean.peter.24
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well everyone is saying that in Shadows in Flight, Bean will already be dead, and it'll pretty much be about new-Peter and Bean's kids. but i think OSC will do a few chapters to quickly skim over what has happened during Bean's trip...

People have also been saying that Bean already diees cause they've been in the ship years, but i was just re-reading the shadow of the giant, and bean is emailing graff or mazer(i forgot) and saying that there is plenty of room on the ship, and a BIG library... "the library will last for a few weeks... it's just a few weeks... right?" bean said that! so did he mean that he'll die in a few weeks, or that the overall TRIP for them is only a few weeks!

im just saying, but please, correct me and tell me your thoughts! correct me if i'm wrong, cause ya bean prob DOES die in the book, but im still hoping!!! [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kata
Member # 9524

- posted      Profile for Kata           Edit/Delete Post 
From what I recall, Bean would have died in a few weeks if he remained on Earth. But as Voulescu (I don't recall in what book), when in space, Bean's heart will not be exposed to the same risks, since in space there is no gravity.

So if he remained on the ship, Bean would still live. And considering that Ender and Valentine have traveled a lot and lived while 2000 years passed for the rest of humanity (and were 20-30 years old when they settled down), then Bean would still be pretty young, but realy, realy, realy big. And his kids would be around 15-20 years old I guess (unless they have lived on a planet for a while).

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NetKat
Member # 12395

- posted      Profile for NetKat           Edit/Delete Post 
***Spoiler warning***

quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
The Lusitanians determined that the the Descolada caused the Piggies to become intelligent

Not true. The Lusitanians, in fact, determined EXACTLY the opposite of that.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NetKat
Member # 12395

quote:
Originally posted by Rome:
Right. Remembered as such. I wonder how OSC will reconcile the omission about Bean and his kids for all that time. Again obviously he couldn't know... but still.

There is PLENTY of stuff that Jane doesn't tell Ender. She only really discovered her humanity after he was dead, so there's no reason that she would have thought it important to mention to Ender that his buddy from battle school was still alive, with three of his children.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by NetKat:
***Spoiler warning***

quote:
The Lusitanians determined that the the Descolada caused the Piggies to become intelligent

Not true. The Lusitanians, in fact, determined EXACTLY the opposite of that.
Okay, let me rephrase. They determined that the Descolada caused the Piggies to adopt their current life cycle many thousands of years ago. Either way the descolada was present on Lusitania long before Bean was born. Long before humans even achieved space flight.

As for the omission of Bean and his kids, does anything actually indicate that Ender didn't know about them? Ender in Exile reveals that he knew about the details of Bean's life and his leaving Earth. But why should this have come up in the Speaker books?

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NetKat
Member # 12395

quote:
Okay, let me rephrase. They determined that the Descolada caused the Piggies to adopt their current life cycle many thousands of years ago. Either way the descolada was present on Lusitania long before Bean was born. Long before humans even achieved space flight.

OK. And yeah, I agree that there's practically no way the Descoladores are Bean's decedents.

quote:
As for the omission of Bean and his kids, does anything actually indicate that Ender didn't know about them? Ender in Exile reveals that he knew about the details of Bean's life and his leaving Earth. But why should this have come up in the Speaker books?

Ender knows about them, and at the end of Ender in Exile, Ender tells "Achilles II" that "Three of your siblings were giants, and of course they're gone now-Ender, Cincinnatus, Carlotta." I agree that there is absolutely no reason for this to have come up in any of the Lusitania books. I also agree with the theory that Jane must have some idea of these children. Beyond that, though, who knows? [Smile]
waranghira
Member # 12481

- posted      Profile for waranghira           Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest question here is...
Why is OSC not writing SiF??

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fremen
Member # 11984

- posted      Profile for Fremen           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also agree with the theory that Jane must have some idea of these children. Beyond that, though, who knows? [Smile]

I would have to respectfully disagree with this fact.

1) If jane knew about this, she would definitely tell Ender about Bean and his children after the first trip outside (especially if Ender knows about the children).

2) If Jane knew about this, she would DEFINITELY tell Ela and ask her to work on fixing the children of Bean, or she would bring them to Lusitania because it's the base of their group of people AND because they are some of the smartest people in the world and would be a great addition to their cause.

I think that there is no way that Jane can know about the children, and if she did, there is no explanation of why she didn't take any action on them or bring them back earlier. If Jane did take action and didn't tell the people of Lusitania then it would still make no sense since they are in "exile" because of a genetic problem, which is Lusitania's specialty. Because of Jane's omniscient nature, I think she would have to be out of contact with the children for them to come back and for it to make sense.

Also OSC has like 7 series that he's not "working on" so I think it'll be a while until SiF. He also said that there are a lot of problems with writing it, and I agree with him. Putting together these two storylines seems to be a really formidable problem.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackthunder
Member # 12529

- posted      Profile for blackthunder   Email blackthunder         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fremen:
quote:
I also agree with the theory that Jane must have some idea of these children. Beyond that, though, who knows? [Smile]

I would have to respectfully disagree with this fact.

1) If jane knew about this, she would definitely tell Ender about Bean and his children after the first trip outside (especially if Ender knows about the children).

2) If Jane knew about this, she would DEFINITELY tell Ela and ask her to work on fixing the children of Bean, or she would bring them to Lusitania because it's the base of their group of people AND because they are some of the smartest people in the world and would be a great addition to their cause.

I think that there is no way that Jane can know about the children, and if she did, there is no explanation of why she didn't take any action on them or bring them back earlier. If Jane did take action and didn't tell the people of Lusitania then it would still make no sense since they are in "exile" because of a genetic problem, which is Lusitania's specialty. Because of Jane's omniscient nature, I think she would have to be out of contact with the children for them to come back and for it to make sense.

Also OSC has like 7 series that he's not "working on" so I think it'll be a while until SiF. He also said that there are a lot of problems with writing it, and I agree with him. Putting together these two storylines seems to be a really formidable problem.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackthunder
Member # 12529

- posted      Profile for blackthunder   Email blackthunder         Edit/Delete Post 
i really don't think that would work. Jane would not pay attention to every ansible connection, not even ones with Beans children on them. When the time is right she would probablyy just call bean and his children to Lusitania and they'll work out some kind of cure.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.