FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Is back with questions

Author Topic: Is back with questions
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello fellow Hatrackers! It has been awhile since I posted anything of length on here but I thought I would try my luck either way. Basic searches have garnered me no new information on the Ender movie front. Probably because there is none [Razz] If I am wrong on this please correct me! Has OSC stopped by to chat at all? If no I imagine that means he is hard at work on something new? Good to see many of the regulars never left and hello to all of the new faces!
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I believe the news is good. After they started working with Odd Lot Entertainment, I believe Card's words were he now believes the actor who is going to play has not only been born, he's actually in school.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't remeber where I read that, though . . .
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
lol oh really? well that sounds encouraging and it gives me new search terms!
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I've started to expect that we won't see this movie until a couple of different studios hit big with movies where all the human characters are realistic CGI. That'll convince OSC that it's a good option, and convince a studio to risk it. (It'll permit much better action scenes than you could get otherwise, which will help the story pass muster with committees and test screenings.)

I don't think we'll ever see the version with live actors that OSC has been trying to make.

Another thing I expect: the movie will not show the Stilson fight as written. They'll find it too difficult to redeem Ender if they show a plausibly fatal kicking-to-death by him. He'll probably use a weapon (other than the awful retcon of steel toed shoes). (I'd actually much rather see a treatment that fully confronts Ender's violence, but I don't think they can pull it off - not while preserving mass appeal which will always be a primary studio requirement. Voiceover narration sufficient to get us in his head like we are in the book would just be too clunky. It's clunky on Dexter, that's for sure, and that's just enough to keep us from loathing him enough to be fascinated by him. Ender needs to be more sympathetic.)

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Read Aaron Johnston's section in the Authorized Ender Companion it has movie info as well as production views. I found it really interesting.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've started to expect that we won't see this movie
Me too. [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

First to scifibum, thank you for a very well thought out response!
Rodger Brown, I still need to pick up a copy of the companion but this will probably get me off the couch and to my local chapters haha. Mr Porteiro Head I feel your pain! At times this site acts as an Ender movie support group for me [Razz]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.