FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Newbies, Hey Newbies! Look in Here! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Newbies, Hey Newbies! Look in Here!
Rruk
Member # 3288

- posted      Profile for Rruk           Edit/Delete Post 
LadyDove, I love it!!

This thread is helpful; I was especially wondering about starting a new thread vs. bringing back an old one. So thanks, all.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
i was wondering about whether newbies would recognize this thread too. i saw it a couple times and figured it out. they might not know it right away but i think it'll sink in.

[This message has been edited by esl (edited May 06, 2002).]

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruinlawyer2002
Member # 2264

- posted      Profile for bruinlawyer2002   Email bruinlawyer2002         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL ~ Do new bees know they are new bees?
Posts: 424 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

For Samantha1013 to post an introduction for herself!

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samantha1013
Member # 3439

- posted      Profile for Samantha1013           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone...aretee said that I should come here, so here I am. I'm new at this though so I don't know what to say. More will come to me later I'm sure

Have a good night

Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya, Samantha! With a name like Samantha1013, you've got to be a fellow X-Phile. Yay...I love meeting other Philes!

Just curious...you posted on another thread that you go to an X-Files forum. Which forum would that be?

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samantha1013
Member # 3439

- posted      Profile for Samantha1013           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I'm definitely a phile! It's nice to meet another!

I go to the X-Files forum on the Official Site. Have you been there?

Great to meet you!

~Samantha1013

Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dyany
Member # 3415

- posted      Profile for dyany           Edit/Delete Post 
So...um...is it just my imagination, or is the surest way to get all the old regulars to post to your thread simply to address the thread to 'Newbies'??
<blink blink>
Dyany

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
What is Onanism and how can I get involved in starting a thread about it? And how do you play this Ender's game? It sounds intruiging.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyan
Member # 3577

- posted      Profile for Cyan   Email Cyan         Edit/Delete Post 
::big bump::

Just for the heck of it.

Posts: 85 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellie
Member # 3481

- posted      Profile for Ellie   Email Ellie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... am I a newbie or not? That is the question.
I was on the young writers Open Discussion forum last summer as Jayelle before it died.
So, I have been "here" for a year, but I only started posting in this forum a couple weeks ago.

Also, I'm on Hatrack spinoffs... and in the chat alot.

So... am I a newbie or not??

Posts: 80 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
No, you're not. Sorry.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuckles
Member # 2865

- posted      Profile for Chuckles   Email Chuckles         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump at Leto's suggestion*
Posts: 999 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m. bowles
Member # 3743

- posted      Profile for m. bowles   Email m. bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy do you think you have enough rules?
I mean ,I hope i can meet all the pre-requisites.(?)

Posts: 128 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Mobius
Member # 3614

- posted      Profile for Dr. Mobius   Email Dr. Mobius         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to piss off a lot of Hatrackers, ignore numbers 8 and 10. Just trust me on that, I'm not going to explain it. It might cause more harm than good.

Something to add to the list:
12. Reading people's profiles may help you understand more about them and don't be afraid to add stuff to your own. (the profile is the button that has a face and a ? mark.) Here's mine.

P.S. Stay away from the whole Apple vs. Microsoft thing...unless of course you're pro-Mac.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Mobius (edited July 13, 2002).]

Posts: 338 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Mobius
Member # 3614

- posted      Profile for Dr. Mobius   Email Dr. Mobius         Edit/Delete Post 
13. Don't get carried away with Dobies.
Posts: 338 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mammoth
Member # 3757

- posted      Profile for Mammoth   Email Mammoth         Edit/Delete Post 
im definitely a newbie, ive only made one post! thanx for the tips guys (and girls), ill try to follow them from now on.

PS im sorry if i insulted anyone by saying that christianity is flawed.

i guess some of you might be waiting for my proof of Islam, ill be posting that soonish i hope, as soon as i can put all my arguments together in a readable form. i dont go onto the net often, so it might take some time for me to reply to the counter-arguments presented, so dont think im ignoring you if i dont reply immediately.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lurker
Member # 3696

- posted      Profile for Lurker           Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 1549

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw         Edit/Delete Post 
so what if your really just a very long time lurker? Am I exempt from the rules since I have maybe 4 posts to my credit since november of 2000?
Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Red - You are only exempt if you have an intimate knowledge of David Bowles' history with 'spankers for hire' and his newly discovered association with the underground "el pollo erotico" movement.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyby
Member # 3630

- posted      Profile for flyby   Email flyby         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how I missed this topic before because it was here after I became a member, but I think as a person barely past the newbie stage, that it is helpful.

I would also like to add, in serious threads, some people will get really upset if you don't use proper grammar and spelling.

In silly threads, if you mention it, you will get laughed off the block.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I must ask: what is a dobie?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
A dobie is a parody of another thread, usually with a link, named after the master of parody threads, Dobie.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't flirt...lol..or in other words don't postslut, unless you're Pixie..lol.jk.

Don't get on Leto's and Paul's bad side.

Err...Idk if I should consider myself still a newbie..

Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
The most important thing for newbies to know is that there is a secret commitee that strictly regulates the number of true non-newbie spots. Thus, there are only three ways to achieve non-newbieness.

1) Petition said council for special dispensation. Warning: This route will invariably require heroic acts of self-sacrifice and humilation in service of the council. Make no mistake, you will be called on to break the laws of both God and man. You will plumb the depths of human depravity. You will go tricycling with albino kelp farmers. You will wrestle penguins just to perserve a shred of the life you once knew. If you choose this route, be prepared for a constant stuggle with the forces of darkness to hold onto your heart, mind, and soul. The only good thing about option 1 is that it is by far the easiest of the three paths.

2) You can kill an non-newbie and thus take their place. Back in the early days of the forum, this was the preferred method of advancement. On any given weekend, save holidays, a good 12% of the population would be shuffled off this mortal coil. However, the years of infighting have led to a darwian survival of the fittest situation. Those who are left are the roughest, toughest, meanest bunch of paranoid freaks you'd ever run as fast as you can away from and we've had years to perfect our defenses. My sources tell me that Advice for Robots has recently upgraded from the T800 to the T1000 "liquid metal" model. David Bowles lives in a huge fortress in the depths of the Amazonian rainforest, surrounding by thousands of his fanatically devoted and supernaturally vigilant followers. Slash, after successfully arguing that there were no laws about it pertaining to lizardmen, has cloned himself at least 20 times. Each of these clones has killed and eaten an average of 45 people. Using a wildly unstable combination of millenia-old forbidden magics and the latest advances in post-quantam physics, the research team of Ralphie and Bob_Scopatz has developed the mental ability to reduce anywhere from 1 to 666 people instantly into a state of chuckling idiocy, from which no one has ever reemerged. I myself have taken to living as a parasitic spirit, jumping from body to body as it serves my needs and fancy. So, if you choose option 2, strap on some body armor, load up your weapons and come get some, you little punk.

3) This path lies obscured in the mists of time, attested to only by scraps of barely remembered legends and the frantic gibbering of madmen. Already, I have said too much and yet I feel strangely compelled to continue. I will remain strong. I will not falter. Do your own damn homework!!!

Choose your road newbie, but never say that I didn't warn you.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... Which option should I pick? Ive been around 2 months and am still considered by a few to be a newbie. So, the petition idea sounds like fun but so does devouring the other non-newbs. Time takes too long.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, dear, you are still a newbie.
-----

To befuddle the obfuscation, it simply takes time. Many people here have been here for a year or more.

You simply have to convince enough people that you not new, that you've always been here, and that you have staying power. That's all.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Or chain yourself to a post and go on a hunger strike until we let you be a oldbee.

Remember, you cannot chew what you eschew!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Oh I have staying power alright. Im here till I leave on my mission. Then Ill come back and visit at least once a month, maybe more.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Centurion
Member # 3956

- posted      Profile for Centurion           Edit/Delete Post 
As an itinerant lurker, I was here some time before I posted anything. However, I never thought of myself as a n00bie. As always, I recon the area before I let others know of my presence.

I've posted relatively few times, but I'm sure I've ticked a number of you old-timers off on more than one occasion. Some intentional, some not. I am admittedly fairly outspoken.

That said, I will have to choose path number 2. I was raised in a family that did hunt, and I've always been somewhat good at it. Later in the Corps, and other military activities, I learned to use scopes and other fun things. (Slightly nervous about the metal in Leto's body, but that's his fault anyway.)

Posts: 717 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I would gravel and suck up but it seems that if I did, I would only reaffirm my place as a newbie.
Centurion
Member # 3956

Does worrying about one's newbie status confirm one's place as a newbie?
lol T

Posts: 717 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

If I said no, would you believe me?
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
If so, then I'm not worried at all, not at all.

So, does this mean I get to stop being a newbie sooner?

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarfa
Member # 579

- posted      Profile for sarfa   Email sarfa         Edit/Delete Post 
for his last post, I would bare MrSquicky's children if it were physically possible for me to do so.

[This message has been edited by sarfa (edited September 06, 2002).]

Posts: 748 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

*looks around*

Ok...

sarfa
Member # 579

- posted      Profile for sarfa   Email sarfa         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, and for those of you who think getting my non-newbie spot will be easy, I'd like to point out that my research in bio-math has allowed me to create a nearly invincible army of semi-sentient plant creatures and I have altered my cell structures so that I now have infinite regenerative abilities (though it has the slightly annoying side effect of changing my blood to the consistency of tree sap).

Posts: 748 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Centurion
Member # 3956

Of course I'd believe you.

As for countering math, especially considering my own minimal expertise in this area, I'd have to counter with napalm.

"Math hurtzsss, it burnzss!

[This message has been edited by Centurion (edited September 06, 2002).]

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I should have just came here to begin with. But noooo I have to jump in and act like I own the place.

Creating my own topics, simply because I can. The moderator should deny access in that particular area for awhile, it's so easy to abuse.

I suppose my profile is a bit annoying. Since I spilt the beans about myself on my very first post. It's actually embarrassing for me to spread anymore honesty about myself now. I started with the truth and now I will slowly regress into a fuzzy little blur.

I'll try to be a better newbie from this point on.

Is this what confession feels like?

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
T how long you're gonna be gone???
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"for his last post, I would bare MrSquicky's children"

I'm almost certain that's a typo.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monteverdi
Member # 2896

- posted      Profile for monteverdi           Edit/Delete Post 
this newbie/honeybee gradation is like an attempt to 'monetize' the space these interactions take place in - that is, a sort of 'value' is identified and then used to differentiate an outside/inside hierarchy - a form of capitalization.....and like any form accumulative capital - the greatest fear is inflation - inflation , in this case, always being the arrival of new people - which causes a sort of firm monetary policy to be upheld - attempting to maintain and stabilize the currency (identity) - and so the endless prattle and mystification (newbie etc.)

I think the market for identity is as large as the internet itself (and not any particular community - in spite of the attempt to overvalue 'local' currency) the only real measure of newbie as newness to the internet overall - and even that in the context of ones age and previous experience - that is - if you are 15 and you have been on the net since you were 10 you are 'older' then an adult of 40 on the net since they were 35 etc - the measure is the proportion of ones communicative life - not elapsed time etc. The rest is old school hierarchy and power politics disguised as joking...a flaccid attempt by the disenfranchised in real life to impose old models on this new young space - there are few newbies anywhere (unless you want to call hatrack an interactive game) - there is only the remenants of rituals of hierarchy -

the king is dead ! long live the king !

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Mission = 2 years.

Time till I leave on my mission: 1 year 8 months 2 days. (thats an estimate anyway)

Centurion
Member # 3956

Not to worry, Tammy.

Most of those around here don't mind a bit of fluff. And seem to be willing to forgive a n00b a few beginner mistakes. But I'd still be cautious of lizards in skirts if I were you.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, it's worth noting that not all the Hatrack regulars are, in fact, disenfranchised in real life.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
After reading MrSquicky's post about getting rid of newbie status, I've decided to go with option 3. I would have gone with #1, but self-sacrifice and humiliation pretty much suck. If I had wanted humiliation, I would have joined a frat in college. Even though I'm sure I could take out a few of you veterans, I love you guys too much for that. So that left #3.

Luckily, I was on vacation last week, so I tracked down some old legends I had heard about an ancient temple located somewhere in the Everglades. I was finally able to make contact with old Seminole Indian who supposedly had been there. Of course, he was mad and I could barely make out what he said for all the gibbering and drooling, but you take what you can get. I was a little surprised when he gave me the cooridinated for the temple, but apparently, the last time he went, he had one of the new luxury SUV's that has GPS installed.

My wife was rather upset when I told her that our vacation to the Bahamas was cancelled because I had to go to an ancient temple in the Everglades. I didn't really understand what the problem was. I mean, what would you choose - laying on the beach with a frozen cocktail or trekking through the swamp to face unspeakable terror?

Off I went. My Grand Cherokee only got me so far, but I was able to rent an airboat (those things are really loud BTW). I found the ancient temple with my trusty GPS and made my way down a long winding stair going deep into the bowels of the earth. Anyone who has ever tried to build a basement in Florida can understand the shocking amount of power that would take. I've been trying to find out if the Ancient Ones do any contracting work.

Anyhoo, I won't bore you with the details. I went down for hours with that creepy feeling going the whole way down. Found an ancient tome with the proper spells to become a Hatrack veteran. Had to dodge a few Shoggoths on my way out. Hair turned white because I had the bejesus scared out of me. I know what you Hatrack veterans are saying - been there, done that.

I got home and started the spell right up. I probably should have researched it a little more, but vacation was almost over so I was running out of time. Apparently the spell summoned one of the Great Old Ones (he told me his name, but I won't even try to spell it). He told me that Hatrack had evolved way beyond his powers and even he couldn't make be a veteran. And get this, then he tells me that because I had bothered him he was going to open a hole in our universe (kinda like the hole in the ozone, but not really) and suck our world into his so he could feed on it or something like that.

Then he said, "Just kidding" and left.

So all that work and I'm still just a newbie. Anyone want to buy a copy of the Book of Eibon before I put it up for sale on Ebay?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
zgator...that was wonderful.

I was just about to declare you a veteran for giving me so much amusement. Then you had to go and ruin it with your attempt to use Hatrack to sell unwanted merchandise.

Rookie mistake.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
But Bob, I give a really good Hatrack discount.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

<cough>kickback</cough>
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.