FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Newbies, Hey Newbies! Look in Here! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Newbies, Hey Newbies! Look in Here!
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
Would i be a newbie if i had proff i posted way back in 1997 on the old furom.

heres the proof. one of them at least

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/old/main/t2.cgi?m=1003&t=1230

hehehe ;O)

Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Newbie this...this is my one week anniversary and this is my 200th post.

This Newbie needs help!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang newbies and their post counts.

Ha!

I have waded through TWO arguments with Baldar. You may henceforth address me as Jatraquero-Emeritus.

Or Methuselah. Your choice.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

OMG - I just peaked at your post.

:bows head in shame - I am not worthy:

quote:
I have waded through TWO arguments with Baldar.

I'm thinking this implies a great accomplishment of sorts. Maybe when i'm 969 years old as you are O'Methuselah I will understand the battles you choose.

:bows again, and again:

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

You peaked at my post?? What is that supposed to mean? *gasps*
*recovers haughty posture*
Ahh, I see. A mere peek at my achievements brings about the peak of your life. Darn right it does!

(LOL. Just couldn't resist. )

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

You needn't boast
that I peaked at your post
Because all the while
I really meant profile

:blushing:

Centurion
Member # 3956

- posted      Profile for Centurion           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for that clarification, Tammy. I'm sure I read, here, that there wass to be no flirting unless you are Pixie. Also, no cyber-slutting(Is that a hyphenated word?). Once again, unless you are Pixie.

Pixie has to be really busy, by now. Perhaps you could drop her a line and see if she needs help in that department.

Posts: 717 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, I found it. Now.......BUMP
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Application to Lose Newbie Status: Written test:

#1- List 10 Jatraqueros who actually enjoy having Baldar on this forum.

#2- Why is David Bowles known as "Lil' Beefy"?

#3- If a train leaves from Baltimore, going south and traveling at 45mph, how many days should it take to get to Bob's lawn?

#4- Name all of Mr. Poyfair's alter-egos(and eggos).

#5- How do you raise a black boy?

#6- Give 10 reasons why the chicken crossed the road using 10 different Jatraqueros' styles.

#7- List your top 10 candidates for the role of Ender in the upcoming movie.

#8- Give either: The recipe for Belle's cookies or the exact lineage of Elrond, Lord of Rivendell.

#9- List the first 5 most likely people to post on a Mac-bashing thread.

#10- Create a sample thread containing the subjects "onanism", "abortion", "homosexuality", and "memes", then type the entire alphabet to prove that you didn't snort snot all over your keyboard in a futile attempt to make the above thread sound serious.

#11- Prove that Kama does exist.

#12- Tell why a spanking from Ralphie is better than being thumped by mack.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I would very much like to see number 11 answered by someone else than me, because, apparently, noone wants to believe my proofs.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polystyrene
Member # 3612

- posted      Profile for Polystyrene   Email Polystyrene         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo, I'm a possible answer!!
Posts: 1000 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
#3 is too easy since Bob doesn't allow anyone ON his lawn.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I don't have to take this..
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
<- must be a newbie, then
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
me too
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Well, then. If you don't like it, you can try one of the three ways on page 2 of this thread. I just thought I'd save everyone from going through what I had to. I still walk with a limp--that JohnKeats guy put up a real fight.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

Does a very strong belief--even if possibly somewhat inflated--in the existence of Kama's legs count at least as a partial answer to #11?
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
If you answer #4, you need to give the exact time that you started typing the list. You don't want to get nailed because a new one popped up while you were typing.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I'm confused, Poly. Are you a Patrick clone or a candidate for the part of Ender?
ValentineNicole
Member # 4511

- posted      Profile for ValentineNicole   Email ValentineNicole         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone! I'm new here to Hatrack, but some of you might know me as ValentineWiggin on Pweb. Well, I'm just letting you all know that I'm here...
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
*basks in the glow of having her thread bumped*

*waves hello to Val*

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
bump
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cynicism
Member # 4804

- posted      Profile for Cynicism           Edit/Delete Post 
*lays out a deck chair, some lemonade, sunscreen and snacks for Belle can bask in comfort this time*
Posts: 59 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

Please note that it is a really good idea, if you want to start a thread, to begin it by offering your own opinions on the subject. This gives a starting point for debate and will encourage responses. Similarly, posting a link followed by "What do you all think?" is not a super popular way to begin conversation.

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, that reminds me of my own newbie grilling. *reminisces*

Continuing on that same idea, here's my advice to newbies: Try to get to know people before diving into serious conversations. Would you walk up to a random group of people at a party and say, "So do you guys believe in religion?" No. You'd introduce yourself and make small talk first. I think it's pretty much the same online.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
We're getting another huge influx of newbies. I figured I'd bump this here thread a bit.

Seriously, I think it's easy to say that if you've only joined within the past two months you're a newbie. I don't care how many digits your post-count has. You're still new and may need to know a thing or three.

I do, however, admit that I still make newbie mistakes. So, don't worry, we still love you- we just don't want another thread about the EG movie or something.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frenchwomanonline
Member # 5084

- posted      Profile for frenchwomanonline   Email frenchwomanonline         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think I can be considered as a newbie here. I read all the rules and advices given here.
I don't post very often, I make english mistakes,I'm sorry about that, but I hope that my posts are understandable and express my feelings.

When I arrived on Hatrack, I felt good, finding people from all over the world, welcoming me as a friend. It's wonderful to share experiences, feelings, opinions, funny stories all together.That is in my views the most important.

I'll do my best to participate to this forum, with the quality I found when I arrived (almost in all topics !)

Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

*grind*

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Almost in all topics!
::laughs:: Almost being the key word there. [Wink]
Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
So, don't worry, we still love you- we just don't want another thread about the EG movie or something.
Ethics Gradient has his own movie? [Confused] [Wink]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
That Mr.Squicky post above on page 2 is the funniest post I've seen
The Morbo Strategy
First off, ignore everything above.

Try to make every post as funny as you can without savage attacks. Unless you know each other. Then you can come out blasting.

Make up your own rules.

If you can get the entire HR community to wondering who you are, they will pay a lot more attention to your every word.

If you can't understand the jokes and games, jump on to a thread and make up your own game

Rant, rant, rant. The longer and nuttier the better. Make sure you've got at least one crazy rant about memes.

Pick up random style points from whoever you think's funny or can carry on an effective argument and mash it all together. Think of it as downloading the "HR meme."

Now you're starting to sound like a HR're!
Use bluffing skills you never knew you had. Don't ask too many questions and dodge questions aimed at you.

Know when you've gone too far. Be magnanimous in defeat.
Pray for forgiveness.

In my defense, let me say that I had never been on a forum before, and rarely chat rooms.
I was dobied unmercifully on my 1st thread and thought a practical joke would be funny. It was at first but less and less as time went on.
I thought I was going to be caught out the first day.

I never told anybody I was I long timer and nobody said "noobie" on the unmasked thread
But you were all so sure you knew me! Flying Cowboy thought I'd been here longer than him. It was a very weird situation for me. And I didn't understand the social structure.
Also, I said repeatedly that the game was silly and unwinnable.

And kudos to the Cards for such a great online community. I developed writings skills I never knew I had, I think because of all the interactions.

I hope all of you players aren't too mad. I said it was silly and unwinnable but everyone kept playing anyway.
And to everyone else, I hope you will forgive me.
I hope you can take Morbor Unmasked as a funny but regrettable practicle joke that was not my idea. (the thread was not my idea but the joke was.)
I didn't expect a total meltdown like what happened today.
And I hope I didn't break any rules.
Morbo=cowboyfeng1=the professor
And thanks for the advice, Kayla

[ August 29, 2003, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
((Morbo))
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

((teshi))
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
What I think is funny is that people are still trying to guess, even after you've told!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
And ALR, you stop posting under your old sn to avoid your 1000th post, only to finally post it here???

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

They're still guessing? What do I have to do, fax-spam everybody? [Eek!] [Smile]

[ June 29, 2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Hmm. No one responded to my last joke. C'mon, people, I need some validation! (As if the compliment thread isn't enough.)

I misssed the whole Morbo revelation. Anyone want to fill me in?

Hi
Member # 5289

- posted      Profile for Hi           Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually been here for over three years and visited Hatrack regularly since. I had another screen name (my regular one) but posted only a bit over fifty posts on that one. I have a string of other sn's that I've used no more than ten times each. [Smile]

With me, there's always this long inactive period where I simply lurk and once in a while I'll break out from my isolation and I would go through a posting frenzy (If you call this a frenzy) as I am doing right now.

Then I get tired of all this posting and I go dormant for the next couple of months.

When I am overwhelmed with the urge to post again, I'll register another screen name and post anew.

No, I’m not Ced or Bonduca. [Razz]

I am simply an lurker that even if I wanted to tell any of you my screen names, you probably will not know who I am- But even if one or two of you might know me, I rather not have my er- hatrack baggage trailing my every post.

If I had meant this name to be permanent, then I would have chosen one so ambiguous as "Hi" [Razz]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

((lurkers)) what the bleep is hatrack baggage?
And when do I get mine? [Big Grin]

[ June 29, 2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

Jon Boy... I liked it. [Wink]
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

- posted      Profile for Sarcasm           Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to know that someone around here appreciates me.
Posts: 276 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, if you look at any of Poly's posts, the postcount would be 1000. It's a dynamic number. Neat, huh? [Smile]
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I suppose I'm a "newb", though I've been registered for over a year, I believe. But I stopped visiting/posting for quite a while when I went to work and left my computer behind. But now I have rediscovered Hatrack. So I look forward to not being a newb anymore (eventually).

[Smile]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Curses. This thread reminds me that I miss Sal.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
Curses. This thread reminds me that I miss Sal.
Meanwhile, I get no love. I've actually been on AIM every once in awhile, but there's no Ralphie to be seen.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Squicky! You need to come out and play more often!
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Kayla,
Sorry, despite the incontrovertible evidence to the contrary I'm now providing, I've left the forum. I even had a good-bye post somewhere or other, but I think everyone missed it. Anyway, I check back from time to time and Ralphie threatened me with horrors better left unmentioned if I didn't at least try to keep in touch with her, but I don't think that I'll be posting again any time soon.

filetted
Member # 5048

- posted      Profile for filetted   Email filetted         Edit/Delete Post 
sorta on topic.

is there a "welcome post" thread on hatrack? I guess I haven't seen it, or I tripped over it before I sprawled face first into the parlor.

might be a good idea.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
::bump::

This was on the last page. Good thing I looked there at random.

<---Twoson

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, how much time expired before Squicky announced that he didn't think he'd be posting again any time soon and his next post?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.