FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hobbes's 10 Rules of Driving (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hobbes's 10 Rules of Driving
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
1. You may only go 5mph above the speed limit, except in special cases which must be decided on a case by case basis. Pregnancy (or soon to be lack of ) is an allowable cause for speeding.

2. Use your turn signal. Always. If you merge in front of someone without it, they have the right to ram you--twice.

3. If you don't wear a seatbelt it's your own problem, but it is a problem.

4. Never try to scare the person sitting next to you, you'll just tip the car over, and then who will look like a fool?

5. Driving drunk is surprisingly similar to murder.

6. If you feel the need to apply make-up going 40mph down a multi-lane road, please do us all a favor and just crash into something that won't die with you.

7. Same goes for reading a book in the car.

8. Only change the radio settings when you are the only car on the road (literally) or stopped.

9. The next person who dumps cigarette ash out the window gets life in prison, or (if you live in Texas) death.

10. If you do get pulled over, turn the car off, put the keys on the dash, and wait for the officer with your hands plainly visible at all times. Also, you can't seduce an officer who's writing you a ticket.

Hobbes

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I heartily agree with all. But I have a bone to pick with #10. What's this about not seducing officers? Who came up with that?!?! :P
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

It's just common sense. (Only I have the sexy power to seduce them )

Hobbes

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

<-- *Is reminded of Simpson quote* "Of course for saftey reasons, we don't keep the cannon loaded; it's just common sense." (that was from the episode "The PTA Disbands").

Hobbes

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Compared to my sexy power, your sexy power is worthless.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Back down blacwolve, no one compares to Hobbes - the sexy beast of the jungle!

Hobbes

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Now, now, children. We can solve this rationally.

I am the queen of ultimate sexiness.

There we go. Problem solved.

-sexy pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

:hugs ph in consolation:: All right honey, you are second sexiest.

Hobbes

flyby
Member # 3630

- posted      Profile for flyby   Email flyby         Edit/Delete Post 
About #8, I think I should be allowed to because my steering wheel has a thingy to change the stations, but otherwise I don't think you should. I almost got myself in a crash doing that in my old car.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad designed that type of steering wheel.

About #4--Can you try to scare them with things other than your driving? Like, I don't know, saying weird things?

And #10--Can you seduce the officer before he or she decides to write you a ticket? What about after?

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
<---- Tries to memorize list so she won't screw up when she learns to drive in 8 months.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
wow :impressed: Your dad invented the change the radio station steering wheel. That's cool! even though I've never heard of it.

Anyway, that's a good question about number ten. If I cared more I would have thought of that.

#4: I remember a book about having fun on a road trip. I read part of it that said you could trick a really gullible person into thinking some radio button was the horn. I don't have the title right now but I know the authors names were in it.

[This message has been edited by esl (edited October 29, 2002).]

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Revised Rule #8: Unless you have radios buttons that are accessible without taking your eyes off the road or removing your hands from the steering wheel, Only change the radio settings when you are the only car on the road (literally) or stopped.

Hobbes

flyby
Member # 3630

- posted      Profile for flyby   Email flyby         Edit/Delete Post 
I can accept that and I ratify the change.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
keep in mind that if you do succeed in tipping the car over, you will scare the person next to you.

number 2 should read
"Use your turn signal, when making a turn. Always. Only a conplete fool drives for miles with it on, never making a turn, shut the damn thing off once you are done turning."

Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Modified rule number five

5. Talking on a cell phone while driving is nearly identical to driving drunk which is surprisingly similar to murder.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Revised Rule # 2: Use your turn signal. Always. If you merge in front of someone without it, they have the right to ram you--twice. Smae goes for putting your turn signal on and not turning

No revision for rule # 5, though I'm considering sticking it in another rule.

Hobbes

LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, what do you think of these?

"A courtesy wave is required for any driver that lets you merge in front of them"

"The person who sits at "shotgun" is defacto naviguesser. Driver reading a map violates Rule #7."

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
*wishes all busdrivers would obey the revised #2*

Last year I got a whole long yelling lecture from our busdriver when I pointed #2 out...

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Hobbes's Secondary Driving Rules:
1. Using a cell phone while driving is up to you, but don't be surprised if the person next to you side-swipes you.

2. Thou shall wave to he who lets thy car in.

3. A stop sign is not a yield sign.

4. Really.

5. The music is the choice of the driver, but the volume control goes to the "shotgun" passenger.

6. A "Baby on Board" sign is not sufficient reason for ramming the car in front of you.

7. When it's icy out, it doesn't matter how much the person behind you honks, just go whatever speed you fell safe at.

8. 4-Wheel drive != invincibility

9. If you can't decide if you should have your lights on, best two out of three cars (of the next three you see) decides.

10. When the driver tells the passengers to be silent, a dead hush must fall over the car. Period. End of story.

Hobbes

Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, please take out #2. My only crash-a minor fender-bender, was when I thought I was safe to wave and did, so didn't have enough hands to correct my turn. Only wave if you've been driving for 4 years and it's not busy and its not night
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
What if your mom is against rap and System of A Down, and theyjus thappen to play on the radio station?
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
How 'bout "You should not adjust the radio, talk on the cell phone, read, etc. UNLESS you are, in your expert estimation, a good enough driver to do so without crashing, in which case you may do up to but not more than two of these."
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Well it's still your choice, you just might not want to choose them

All right, I certainly don't want to advocate anything harmful on my safe driving rules thread:
Revised Rule #2: Thou shall wave to he who lets thy car in. Unless thy hands are not free to wave, or if thou are not 100% sure of thy driving skills or driving conditions.

Hobbes

Hobbes
Member # 433

Icarus, not a chance

Hobbes

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Crap, I break that rule all the time. I have six presets and change the station when a commercial comes on to a different preset. Does it count if you don't have to LOOK at the radio controls?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

If it affects your ability to make sudden changes in your direction (i.e. avoid an animal that suddenly darts onto the road) then no. I'm not sure how it would be possible, but if it doesn't do that, then you're allowed.

Hobbes

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
What about scratching my ?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

No scratching your .

[EDIT: yep, I'm lacking in sleep ]

Hobbes

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited October 29, 2002).]

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
10. When the driver tells the passengers to be silent, a dead hush must fall over the car. Period. End of story

I sooo agree. I've a friend who doesn't understand that, and keeps talking while I'm trying to concentrate. Grrr. I need to yell at her sometimes.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
11) Reading a novel while crawling along with rush hour traffic will make it less likely that you'll succumb to roadrage

12) On cross-country motorcycle trips, a sleeping bag mounted between the handlebars makes a good pillow for the occasional nap while still piling on the miles.

13) A 10inch flatscreen mounted on the dashboard is much better for gameplay than a cellphone display on the steering wheel. Besides, tilting your head sufficiently to follow the steering wheel during turns is hampered by the seatbelt.

14) When making-out while driving, occasionally open an eye to make sure that there are no police cars nearby. Making an officer jealous is apt to get you a ticket.

15) Duct-tape any roadkill to the inside of the engine-compartment hood. After a few hours mmm...mmm...mmm them's mitey good eatin's.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
This thread is great!
I got a speeding ticket last week, and I was this (*holds up fingers*) close to crying right there. I should've. Maybe he would have just given me a warning. No, probably not. There's not much of an excuse for 18 over the limit.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emperor Palpatine
Member # 3544

- posted      Profile for Emperor Palpatine   Email Emperor Palpatine         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody's having a bit too much fun bumping threads.
Posts: 1004 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
<---wondering if she should rescind the offer to Hobbes for the OSC road trip based on the fact he might not be able to stand my CA/Chicago style driving.
[Wink]
AJ

(though I do have the cool radio station steering wheel buttons)

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
One should not drink hot beverages while driving because it obstructs vision and if spillage occurs may cause erratic driving and further inattention to the roadway. Also a driver should not attempt to find something on the floor or to hand something to someone sitting behind them. This causes both a lack of visual contact with the road and inadverdent swerving.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tullaan
Member # 5515

- posted      Profile for Tullaan   Email Tullaan         Edit/Delete Post 
Having 4-wheel drive may help you get places in the snow, but doesn't help you stop any better.
Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's not much of an excuse for 18 over the limit.
[ROFL]
I just got a ticket going 68 on CA-17, and it was on a section that was 50mph.

I just sent in my traffic school completion form. [Smile]

Here is my list (some might be CA only):
1. No going out of turn at all-way stop intersections.
2. No slamming on the gas when somebody tries to pass you.
3. No tailgating.
4. No flipping people off.
5. No going UNDER the speed limit on a bright sunny day with light or no traffic.
6. No blocking the right hand turn lane just because you are in a big car, move more to the left so cars don't have to wait for the green just becuase you're too much a selfish brat. [Smile]
7. No speeding up and slowing down when there is nobody in front of you. Use cruise control if you have it, if not, learn how to keep steady pressure on the gas pedal.
8. No blasting rap at 1 in the morning, especially if I'm working later in the morning and have to get up at 3am
9. No parking so close to the driver's side of the car that I can't get in my car. I keep a digital camera in my car for this reason and send it in it to traffic courts. It works. Really. [Smile]
10. No blocking cars from getting out of an exit only right after merging.

That's the ones that bug me most. [Smile]

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
Wetchik- I especially like rules 3 and 6.

And PLEASE no reading behind the wheel. I once saw a bus driver do that. It was pretty scary.

Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, you're great. Here in France we have some great problem with mortality because of cars. We should put your ten rules in all schools and make every student able to say it by heart.

[ October 22, 2003, 04:26 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, I can totally drive safely with my knees. Heck, I can parallel park with my knees.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with PC. But I'd be happy if the crappy drivers would take Hobbes' advice.

My only rule: Don't make me turn my cruise control off.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Wow it's been a while. [Eek!]

Frisco and PC, get off of the road! [Wink] [Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Frisco and PC . . . but rather than have cruddy drivers follow these rules, I would say that all drivers for whom these rules are a necessity should be taken off the streets!

[Razz]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
My additions to the rules:

1. Get that stupid toy dog off of your lap! (Man, I hate to see someone try to drive while their poodle hangs its head out the driver's window.)

2. If you want to tailgate, then I get to flick anything I want to in the airstream over my car to stick stuff to your windshield: cigarette butts, boogers, half a Big Mac.

3. If we all get stuck in a traffic jam on the intestate, do NOT start driving up the shoulder.

4. If you are on a bicycle, have a brain and act like you are moving unprotected through traffic on a little metal framework. I'm doing my best to give you room and consideration, you do your part. After all, it's you who is the most at risk.

5. Make your kids sit down, shut up and put on a seatbelt.

6. Clean out your car once in a while. If your car is piled to the gunwhales with old newspapers, Wendy's Bags and the detritus of a disorganized life, I don't wanna be sideswiped when a rat jumps at you from it's hiding place in the passenger seat.

7. Don't read when you drive. Ever.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
What's that sign say?

Well, I wouldn't want to distract myself, so I won't bother toAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!

x_x

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
hehehe, oh yeah...

[Razz]

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
You know who are even worse than people who don't signal and turn or signal and don't turn? People who signal right and go left. They're the ones I hate.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are not driving at least the speed limit in the right lane, I am allowed to tailgate. If you are not going at least 5 over in the left lane, I am allowed to tailgate. If there is a middle lane and I am unable to get over to the left lane, I am allowed to tailgate if you are not going around 5 over as long as I make every effort to get over.

I am allowed to read a novel in traffic jams on the interstate, because if I miss a few seconds it will not matter. I am not allowed to do it in rush hour traffic jams, because a few seconds might make a difference to the car behind me.

If you pull in front of me without a turn signal, you will get tailgated. I do not require 5 blinks; I do not even require 2 blinks. One is sufficient. Zero is not.

There are a few streets in Lexington that the righmost lane on one side of an intersection ends shortly after you cross the intersection. If you live here, you ought to know about them. If you do not, they are still labeled. If you cannot get over, do not expect me to let you over if your plates show you are from my county or the surrounding counties. If you and I are at the front, you have 1.5 seconds to get at least half a car length in front of me. If you do not, I have right of way, and I will not slow down, nor will I feel sorry if you have to slam on your brakes and let everyone pass you.

My truck is more than 5 years old, with minor cosmetic damage that is still too expensive to fix. It has over 100,000 miles on it. If I can let you merge, I will. If there is not room for me to get into the left lane, I will not. Exceptions to this are very old cars that cost significantly less than my truck does, and ambulances/firetrucks with their lights/sirens on.

Racing is illegal, and they are putting larger and larger engines in the new cars these days anyway, so I will likely rev my engine at the light and let you blast off and look like an idiot should you try to race me. If I wanted to race you, I would drive something very fast, and get those little stickers that say "equipped with NOS" plastered all over it. Note the absence of those stickers, as well as the fact that powerful engine or no, I drive a truck.

If for some reason I am feeling suicidal and do decide to race you, or as is more likely my brother is driving, you are not cool if you win, nor do I suck. However, should you lose, while I am still not cool, you really suck.

It is only legal to turn right on red if there are not cars coming, and space for me to turn right. Honking will not change this fact. If it did, I would probably be honking as well.

You may well need to get onto an onramp that I am blocking but able to turn onto. However, if I am blocking it for you, that means that I am unable to move in the direction I desire, which is obviously not onto the onramp. Most likely I am already aware that I am blocking it, and while honking at me will ensure this, it will not make me take a turn I do not want to take.

If an ambulance is coming the opposite way, is clearly in sight, and cannot possibly turn left, there is no reason to stop for it.

If an ambulance is coming the opposite way, is clearly in sight, and trying to turn left into the hospital, you need to stop for it.

I agree with your pro-legalization stickers, your "F*** the Police" stickers, and even at some rate your overly simplistic "No blood for oil" stickers. I do not have sympathy if the "pig" shows no mercy when he writes your ticket, however, and frankly if I pass you while in such a predicament, I will laugh.

If you are a pedestrian, you do not always have right of way. Even if you get a sympathetic jury or a good lawyer, you are probably the one who needs significant medical treatment. If your family is the one suing, you are probably dead. My life might suck, but yours is over. Act accordingly. I am not trying to hit you, in fact I will try to stop, but if you are jaywalking and emerge from between two parked SUVs or some such five feet in front of me, there is little to nothing I can do. Nor will I put myself or other innocent drivers at risk; if there is no empty lane or other safe place to swerve into I will not swerve into danger. If it is raining, not only is my visibility lessened, swerving will likely do neither of us any good even if there is an empty lane available. So maybe you should walk the extra thirty yards to a crosswalk, and wait for the light to change.

[ October 22, 2003, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Danzig ]

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*is very glad she doesn't drive the same roads as Danzig*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Emperor Palpatine: yep! [Razz]

rule #11: I someone is driving fast and hopping lanes, get in front and drive right next to another car so they can't pass you. It really ticks 'em off! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.