FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hobbes's 10 Rules of Driving (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hobbes's 10 Rules of Driving
Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
rule #11: I someone is driving fast and hopping lanes, get in front and drive right next to another car so they can't pass you. It really ticks 'em off!
I enjoy doing that to cars that drive fast, but if you're going 50 on an interstate, don't expect me to be understanding.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
See, I drive fast, but not because I'm in a hurry. After having that sort of thing done to me, I'm likely to pass you, get in front of you, slam on my brakes, and do the same exact thing only 15 MPH slower. And for twice as long. And hold down my windshield wiper fluid button.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
o_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, I dunno about the not trying to scare the person sitting next to you. it all depends on how you do it. For instance, if you are driving your sister somewhere for the first time, the roads are completely empty and you scream without moving the wheel at all, it's a pretty safe way of scaring them with little risk. Or if you drive up to pick up a friend wearing a bike helmet and hand her one telling her your parents said you had to wear them in the car-that's a perfectly safe way of scaring her!
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

Granted Frisco, I'm not one to go the speed limit, but if a car is going 90-100mph and is all over the freeway, I don't think they deserve any kind of courtesy.

I just want to keep my cruise control on when I'm on the freeway. If there is anything you can do on the freeway that will tick me off, it's making me turn off my cruise control.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I don't usually follow the speed limit, but I've had to lately.

And it's a really, really BAD idea to scare the driver. It's ok if the driver is scaring someone, but you don't want to scare the driver. Recently my grandmother was in 2 car wrecks. My cousin was riding with her one day, and when she was making a turn she yells "Oh my gosh! Look out!!!". She scared her and made her slam on the brakes. It was a good thing no one hit her.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubusdriver
Member # 5846

- posted      Profile for cubusdriver           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think a rule that has been left out is don't use cruise control while driving. Yes, it may be easier because you don't have to keep your feet on the gas petal the entire time you are driving down the highway, but at the same time it also causes people's feet to be further away from the brake petal, making their reaction time slower. Also, cruise control means that you have less to pay attention to while you are driving, which from my experiences makes me less attentive of my driving.

By the way, most bus drivers are fantastic drivers with lots of experiences, although I will admit that I have been a passenger on city buses before where the drivers are either reading or eating food while they drive, neither which is normally allowed.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't blame the cruise control. Blame the bad driver. Now, using cruise on snow or ice is phenomenally retarded, but that's a different story.

Cruise allows you to pay more attention to actual driving by relieving you of the duty of looking down at the speedometer every so often.

And unless one is sitting indian-style in the seat, the time difference in getting to the brake pedal is negligable, if any. Faster, possibly, when the cruise is on, because your eyes will be on the road and not checking your speed.

If you think that having less to worry about makes driving more dangerous, do you find automatics to be more dangerous than standards?

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubusdriver
Member # 5846

- posted      Profile for cubusdriver           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think that automatics are safer than standards, primarily because many drivers are not capable of driving standard transmission vehicles at the same performance level as automatic transmission vehicles.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my liscence on Friday!

*goes out to break all the rules* [Evil]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
*runs out to save mailbox*
[Razz]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

quote:
I got my liscence on Friday!

*whisper* Hey Dragon *whisper*
*whisper* psssst. *whisper*

You spelled license wrong. [Taunt]

Congratulations! [Party] [Hat] [The Wave] [Wink] [Wave]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
HOLY CRAP! I LIVE AND WORK IN THE SAME STATE! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
*whisper* hey Wetchik *whisper*
*whisper* you don't need to spell to drive [Razz] *whisper*

Mack: [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally, I think a rule that has been left out is don't use cruise control while driving.
Good idea. I think I'll start using it when I'm parked.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

[ROFL]

Dragon: [Taunt] [Evil]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.