FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Hatrack Historical Research Archive (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Hatrack Historical Research Archive
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
That was ae's secret plan all along...to take over the board with 1,427 pages of BTQ.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My first posts on the BML forum, under the name MorganMajors, were in November of 1996. My early stuff was mostly in the virtual Battle School, where I made myself quite obnoxious and created my own army. Shortly thereafter I began contributing diatribes to our fun political and religious debates. If I remember correctly, everyone was talking about the recent switch from AOL, so it couldn't have been that much earlier. The only folks I remember from way back when are John Hansen, Martha, Saudade, aka.. and was Amira around that long ago?

Anyway, I'd be interested to see how many early versions of the forum there were.

Is this reminding anyone else of the Foundation series?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to point out that March set the new record for sign ups with 250. Of course, this was "create a misfit personality" month.
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PhantomBumper
Member # 4957

- posted      Profile for PhantomBumper           Edit/Delete Post 
Which is so much cooler than "National Oatmeal Month" in January.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

I'd also like to congratulate Jon Boy on grabbing #5000, as well as crushing Pat's dreams, destroying the very fabric of his being, drifting him to the threshold of questioning his own existence. Way to go, Jon. [Wink]
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking forward to Pat getting it. Pat makes his pseudonyms with care and humor...and usually for a purpose.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

All right, this is the list of accounts for the class of 2000. I'm not making note that certain accounts have other usernames because I don't know all of them. Again, this is to give you guys a chance to check out some names for people who've disappeared, and some who are still around. I don't know what kind of impact this has had. Anyway... Here's 2000:

Bob_Scopatz

Doug J

katharina
Olivet

David Bowles

Pod (3955 posts)
Tresopax (3999 posts)
JohnKeats (3998 posts, what's with this trend here in the 3k club?)

AndrewR
Ophelia
ClaudiaTherese
Khavanon
porcelain girl
pH
Ela

The Rabbit
Amka
twinky
Chaeron
Destineer
Ethics Gradient
Marce al'Meara
Geoffrey Card
ladyday
Noemon
Dobie
Chris Bridges
Yebor1
Everard
Zevlag

500+
Ele
OlavMah
dspeyer
ginette
Pat
Rook
Jenny Gardner
Dante
cyruseh
Miro
wordman
jRc

The rest I didn't link because there's just too much. I hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings. [Razz] I did leave member numbers so you can check them out.

250+
699 A Rat Named Dog
741 DSH
807 ssywak
839 Taalcon
855 pYx
862 IdemosthenesI
956 TooTrueTroubs
964 Theo
1055 Grasshopper
1071 Narnia
1131 docmagik
1214 HonorDB
1316 Psycluded
1334 popatr
1407 Feyd Baron

100+
655 Galadriel
656 Machiavelli
672 Emily Milner
676 scottneb
700 AnthonyP
714 Freckles
740 mek
773 Pascal
789 Masdibar
810 Thor
850 Eirenical
886 JanusAurora
905 Fokren
918 Lead
936 Socrates
946 Caleb Varns
950 jacare
986 VidRoth
1056 General Sycophant
1116 MattB
1129 Stanton
1143 erinhowarth
1193 oneluckycricket
1249 Kalena
1357 Zyne
1385 lightpaths
1408 Paercival
1411 Jane_n_Ender

[ April 04, 2003, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: Khavanon ]

KEGE
Member # 424

- posted      Profile for KEGE   Email KEGE         Edit/Delete Post 
Khav,

Now I understand! [Frown]

I too was hoping that Narnia was wrong. Some of those threads deserved saving! I'd completely forgotten about aka's asteroid destruction plans! I wish I could read that one again.

It seems like they could have been backed up and archived somewhere? Oh well ....

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
On the old forum, the suicide thread was near to my heart. That's where Saudade and I became friends. And there was a religion thread there where Amira and I met. I really do wish all this stuff were being archived somewhere. Can we start doing it on www.jatraquero.com maybe? Just archive the all time favorite threads like Original Potry, etc.?

The asteroid project is still languishing for lack of more funding ideas. You guys need to get to work! [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I liked about the old forum was that we could post under different names without having to reregister a new identity. I remember posting as "Bad Hair Yozhik" in Annie's "700 Club" thread.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the old threads are archived here http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://hatrack.com
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obi Jon Boy Kenobi
Member # 5000

- posted      Profile for Obi Jon Boy Kenobi   Email Obi Jon Boy Kenobi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd also like to congratulate Jon Boy on grabbing #5000, as well as crushing Pat's dreams, destroying the very fabric of his being, drifting him to the threshold of questioning his own existence. Way to go, Jon.
Once again, I'd like to thank the other 4999 Hatrackers that I stepped on to snatch #5000. This one's for you, Pat. Except that it's not actually for you, 'cause it's for me.
quote:
I was looking forward to Pat getting it. Pat makes his pseudonyms with care and humor...and usually for a purpose.
Oh, ouch! Once again, Frisco's stinging wit has shamed me! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Zevlag, I could have kissed you when you posted that link, but when I went to look at some of the threads listed, they don't work. [Frown] But thank you anyway, I was able to re-read the home page for Charlie Ben right after he died and that was really good...there are other interesting things to see, but the threads won't open. (and there still seems to be a huge gap in time...from May-October 2000. Does anyone notice that? The threads that are labeled "July" open up October threads. Bizarre.) Thanks for the link though Zevlag, there's still lots of fun browsing to do.

We are all in mourning, we should have some kind of memorial service for our favorite lost threads. [Wink] But I did like the idea of backing up a few of them on Jatraquero.com. The landmark posts are already being backed up there, aren't they?

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the asteroid destruction thread! Just thought I'd point that out, cuz I really have been here that long! [Eek!] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Excitement!!! I found my printed out version of the WWW thread and for archive purposes and information, I'm going to post some of it here. It was started by a Rat Named Dog...(btw, where is he? Is it someone still on Hatrack under a different name?)

Posted July 23, 2000 03:52 AM
quote:
I've been thinking for a long time that our culture HAS to come up with a better way of pronouncing the three doubleyous at the beginning of web addresses. I mean, how fun is it to say "doubleyou doubleyou doubleyou dot hatrack dot com" when you're trying to direct a friend to your favorite website? You could just leave the three doubleyous off (which is the most common shortcut), but then if your friend is an idiot (as most friends are), they will probably spend ten whole minutes trying to find the site without typing in the doubleyous.

So we have to come up with a way to say it without twisting our tongues. I have a few suggestions:

--I read once in WIRED that someone had coined the term "TRIPLE-DUB", but it never caught on. "TRIPLE-DUB dot hatrack dot com"

--We could always pronounce it as it is written. "OOOOOOOOOOOh dot hatrack dot com"

--Or (and this is my favorite) we could borrow a phrase from Downtown Julie Brown: "WUBBA WUBBA WUBBA dot hatrack dot com"

What do you think? Any more suggestions?

Dog

So what followed was a suggestion from EG and then aka started the HUGE argument with her simple two-word post:

quote:
Octuple you?
Then Olavmah got in, Pod, Tom, JohnHansen, Tresopax, sarfa and Rabbit came back with mathematically sound proofs of whether it should be sextuple you...or octuple you. It was truly hilarious. On my printout that ended three days later, a conclusion still had not been reached. I don't want to start it again, but I was just so excited to find this after my hopes of 2000-2001 archives were totally crushed. So, I thought I'd share with you the crowning post of this thread IMHO. It was Rabbit's and I still just die every time I read it.

quote:
You guys are looking at this all wrong, w is not a mathematical operator and www is not a mathematical expression of any kind. It's just 3 w's sitting in a row, like three apples in a row, three couples in a row, or three pairs of pants in a row. Now pants are the most similar to w's since one "pair of pants" is only one article of clothing and one "w" is only one letter. You can also make a "w" with 2 pairs of pants or if you bend them at the knee in the right way, you can make a "w" with 1 pair of pants, so it seems that "pairs of pants" are clearly the direct equivalent of w's. When you put three pairs of pants in a row, you don't get 8 pants, you only get 6(assuming 2 pant= 1 a pair of pants), so when you put 3 w's in a row, you should end up with 6 u's(assuming 2 u= 1 w).

So now since "jeans are clearly the most common type of pants on the planet, why don't we just say "3 jeans".hatrack.com. That should be completely clear to everyone and it's easy to say.

Or we could simply go with the german "w" which is only 1 syllable, "vay", Then we could call it "3 vay".hatrack.com, which is not only easy to say but sounds alot like "freeway" which seems fitting on the information super highway.

HA!! That's just so funny. Thanks for letting me share my happiness with you. [Big Grin]
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
A Rat Named Dog is Geoff Card, right?
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

Yes.
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Narnia! Rabbits response was classic [Smile]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Wow. I never new that Dog was Geoff! That makes it even more hilarious!! [Big Grin]
KEGE
Member # 424

Narnia,

The same thing happened to me when I tried to look at the old forum it always was on the same day and not the day I thought I was looking at.

So how did you find the www thread and get to really open up?

[Confused]

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
oh man, i so remember that thread!

good stuff, good stuff.
(and YES, i was registered under a different name, so no more wrinkled foreheads and sideways looks.)

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

KEGE, I...um...actually...I had the WWW thread printed out. (yeah, can you believe it? It made me laugh so hard that I printed it out back in 2000 just so I could keep it. I'm glad I did.) I can't read any of the threads from the net archive and the dates are misleading...they only give you threads from Oct. 25th 2000 or something like that...sigh.
KEGE
Member # 424

Narnia,

[Big Grin] My first LOL all day today! I love it!

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just realized today that there weren't two separate alphabetical segments back at the beginning -- there was only one. Capital letters come before lowercase letters in the ASCII system. I can't believe I didn't notice it before now.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yeah, this is a crazy old thread, but I really love it and I was curious...

So. Our fantastic mods have helped us with our archiving efforts with the landmark post section of the forum. 3 cheers for the mods!!

I'm an organizational freak and it just makes me get all teary when I think of losing some of the funniest conversations I've ever seen.

I am wondering if anyone else has done anything like Pop used to do to preserve favorite threads or parts of threads. I know that the majority of our threads probably don't need to be archived, but there are those choice few here and there....the 4 horseman of the apocalypse comes to mind as well as some others. Have there been any recently that we could try to save?

BTW I think we should have an international holiday the day that Begging the Question reaches 100 pages.

ak
Member # 90

I just read in "Salmon of Doubt" what Douglas Adams said about www, which is that it's an abbreviation for world wide web that takes several times longer to say than the thing it's an abbreviation for. [Smile]

This is a hilarious book, btw. I can't believe I waited so long to read it. I keep laughing out loud while reading it in public places, and garnering "those looks" from the straights around me. [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

aka, how did you get your registered date to read like that? Did the mods do that for you? It's hilarious!
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the original slew of members all have the same thing. (Okay, not all of them, but a lot of them.)

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile;u=00000048

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
All those automatically transferred from the older system got "A long time ago," but some have since been updated. The following still show that as their registration dates (my list is as of April 8th, so updates since then are not reflected):Useless info? Yeah, probably. But dang if this list ain't gonna end up being useful for something.
--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff
Member # 4298

- posted      Profile for Jeff   Email Jeff         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it coincidence that the first 90 or so are in alphabetical order?
Posts: 122 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

There are a lot of NON posters in that list! And, funny enough, the early group seemed to be a little older in general. Anyone want to fess up to owning some of these early user names, or are they all gone for good?

And you can be happy Pop that I had fun looking at all of those random profiles. [Wink]

ak
Member # 90

What's weird is that if I'd only used capital letters, I'd have been member number 2 or something like that. <laughs> That would have gone too much to my head, though. Mwhahahahahahaaaa. All that power! That prestige! Even queens of the universe can't handle so much!

[ August 20, 2003, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: ak ]

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Class of 2001

7000+

Kayla

6000+

Ralphie

Belle

Leto II

Baldar

4000+

Strider

Jacare Sorridente

Rakeesh

bonduca

3000+

Jeni

Cedrios

ludosti

Papa Moose

jeniwren

fugu13

TheTick

2000+

jehovoid

celia60

Patrick

Irami Osei-Frimpong

Toretha

enjeeo

1000+

jasonepowell

luthe

The Silverblue Sun

Otaku

aretee

Ronin

MrSquicky

ByuCnslr

The Pixiest

Paul Goldner

Jeffrey Getzin

Black Fox

JaneX

CalvinMaker

odouls268

aspectre

:Locke (:Locke has a nice profile, did I mention that?)

Zalmoxis

Krankykat

Yank

jebus202

advice for robots

MyrddinFyre

Anna

waltdisneysfrozenhead

James Tiberius Kirk

500+

1448 Nato

1562 stihl1

1629 Theca (969 posts)

1641 Unmaker (991)

1660 Snowden

1662 Turin_4

1663 Alai

1703 LisB1121

1831 kwsni

1912 Shlomo

2024 jkkirk

2120 Kasie H

2150 FlyingCow

2180 Diosmel Duda

2191 Panguitch

2275 Saruman

2295 NdRa

2296 BootNinja

2300 Magson

2313 Skywier

2393 plaid

2509 WmLambert

2559 slacker

2586 HollowEarth

2654 Punchdrunk

2815 Duragon C. Mikado

2865 Chuckles (999 posts)

2872 Ron Lambert

200+
1512 lost
1573 pepperuda
1578 Van Aaron
1612 Xaposert
1669 Al
1670 Tristan
1676 dangermom
1698 Daedalus
1705 Elysium
1707 Lime
1787 Lutya
1869 Haunted
1871 Tstorm
1880 IrishAphrodite19
1894 maui babe
1947 Ornery
1950 Ses Adoms
1971 firebird
1990 Doc Brown
2099 Jaiden
2125 IonFish
2195 Snorri
2199 Kwea
2221 larisse
2256 Ace of Spades
2264 bruinlawyer2002
2326 Livious
2361 cross
2375 Cookie Monster
2413 LetoII
2465 Severian
2468 Promethius
2512 dem
2558 kingofallcorgis
2626 Vaultgirl
2651 screechowl
2682 Dim Sum
2699 bicentennialman
2787 deerpark27

There were a few (maybe 5) people from Poland. None of them posted even once. [Confused]

Half of the 2001 names are Pat's clones. Honest.

And may I ask, Mr. Novak, were you spying on Hatrack a year before you joined?

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
::cracks up::

Theres a story behind that, one for a later date, perhaps. If I told the story now, there would be no suspense.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S. Claus
Member # 6025

- posted      Profile for S. Claus           Edit/Delete Post 
Was Pat some weirded out spammer or something?

[Eek!]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Still is, last time I checked.

Hey Pat, are you still a weirded out spammer!?

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S. Claus
Member # 6025

- posted      Profile for S. Claus           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess my point is that it seems someone who registers half the names in a given year is doing a message board more of a disservice than a service.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Shoot! My old screen name only had 173 posts and so didn't make the 2001 cut...phooey. Atleast I'll make the 2003 cut. Unless they up the cut number because of the post whores...

quote:
Narnia wrote: That was ae's secret plan all along...to take over the board with 1,427 pages of BTQ.
Heh. Guess they didn't plan on a come from behind victory by the last post thread!

[ December 30, 2003, 04:42 AM: Message edited by: JonnyNotSoBravo ]

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I don't understand that list. There seems to be a zillion people missing. Like Annie for instance...she's above 3,000...Hobbes...???
ak
Member # 90

Narnia, I think it's only people who registered in 2001.

[ December 30, 2003, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: ak ]

Narnia
Member # 1071

Ah! [Blushing] Now I get it. Thanks ak.

I do love this thread though, I'm glad someone bumped it.

Narnia
Member # 1071

*bump in honor of some Khavanon posts this evening!!*
Khavanon
Member # 929

Wow, you guys saved it! I'm speechless. Thanks. I thought this one was history. This was probably my most famousest of threads.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
My member number is only divisible by 5 and 1097...

Neither of them exist!

So I guess I don't have any hatrack ancestors.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

What ever happened to jatraquero.com? There was someone in charge of it...was it you fugu? (that just totally rhymed!) *giggles*

I also just noticed something: When Narnia goes on a late-night posting spree, it be all the fluffy threads at the top of the first page. [Smile] It's not surprising actually.

[ February 28, 2004, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
All this history! How wondrous! I want more stories from folks that have been around a long time! Preeeettttyyyy pleeeaassseee? [Big Grin]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Errr... Could someone tell me how do i find the profile for a given number if that person has not posted at all ?
My user number divides with 5, 7, 163 so I tried to search for: #5, #7, #35 (5*7), #163, #815 (5*163) and #1141 (7*163) and apparently none of them ever posted or they didn't exist/don't exist anymore...

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

Click on your own profile and replace the number in the URL with a number that you want to find. It must be an eight digit number.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I still own the rights to jatraqueros.com and jatraqueras.com.

We all had issues with getting the naming to point to the right places (I've never done it before), and after inital excitement, the site hosted by some other folks died out due to lack of interest, I think.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Khavanon...
and i call myself a *computer scientist*... [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.