FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Hatrack Stock Exchange (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Hatrack Stock Exchange
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I was just trolling around the old postings to find some stuff to read. It really is quite entertaining for a newbie, such as myself, and, by exposing myself to the veteran Hatrackers' styles, I might stand a better chance in dkw's fine Guess the Author threads.

I typed in the search term "pariah" for fun. Only two results came up. I took the most recent.

This topic concerned a posting by Jettboy. Some heated things were being said by everyone, so I really couldn't tear myself away. It was rather like watching a car plow through a crowded shopping mall--I was horrified and fascinated all at once. (Aside, I really enjoyed mickillian's flames!)

Then I found a real voice of reason from, for me, a very unlikely source!
quote:
posted March 19, 2003 01:38 AM

I hope I don't sound sanctimonious, but I think the one thing this board is losing it's grip on is humility.
A lack of humility is what prevented Baldar from backing down and allowing himself to be a valued member of Hatrack.

It's not a lack of humility that causes one to be offended when they perceive a slight to their beliefs, but it could be a lack that prevents a person from apologizing when they realize offense has been taken, and to forgive quickly when it's been received.

Humility is really difficult to exercise all the time. The people involved in what seems to be the crux of the situation are people I generally think of as being pretty humble - thinking of others before they post and showing a concern for the pulse of Hatrack by trying to keep peace. But when the offense hits a vital nerve, that's when it's really easy to harbor a small resentment and protect it.

I know, because I do it all the time.

Humility is a quality I'm working on with a vengeance. It doesn't come naturally to me, as I tend to be judgemental of people I perceive to be in positions of power, but I'm realizing how important it is all the time. And how amazingly difficult it is to exercise.

A truly humble person won't let themselves be walked on, but they will do everything in their power to think first of the other person, most especially when it is someone they have a close relationship with. At Hatrack, we may not have fostered close relationships with everyone, but it's like living in the same house. Your posts are going to touch at some point, and you're going to run into them often enough so that it's in your best interest to keep peace. But, more importantly, it's in theirs.

Jettboy - Probably no one outside the LDS faith can understand the specific type of persecution you face than someone of my religion. But that's to be expected - isn't that what both of our religions teach us is a sign that we're doing the right thing? A double standard as a reaction to other double standards may seem like justice, but it's only the same injustice practiced twice, not a balancing of the scales. Knowing how it feels should make you incensed at the thought of others having to face the same ordeal, specifically because you know what it's like. I think you know that.

I understand I really have no place to be preachy (my humility is shaking it's head at me), but I think the reason most of us were attracted to Hatrack is not just the good conversation, the proper grammar and spelling, the diversity of backgrounds or simply the author who we all love - it's because we're attracted to each other as people, and we feel safe enough to post our ideas hoping they're attracted to us. I think the only way we can keep that attraction to each other is to look out for each other's best interests. Because then I know, if I've got everyone else's back, then everyone's got mine.
--Ralphie (!)

To my own experience here (and no, I won't paste in the obligatory link) this was very surprising. We all had fun with my cynical, obsiquious thread I've Been Warned. , and in this thread about Ralphie's rep.

But, you know what? I'm really glad that I purchased all of those shares of Ralphie, they are gold standard! And I'll take a thousand more! [Cool]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the wisdom of the saints... Or is it from the mouths of (hot) babes? [Wink]

[ July 27, 2003, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Godric ]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

*Rubs recently boxed ear*

And, 500 shares of Mac.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn skippy. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

50 Shares of Human, please. With options for the sequel.

50 Shares of Ophelia, I hope her luck will rub off!

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
:Bump:
So newbies can suck up to those they like and sell short those they don't like.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Hey, did I buy options on Morbo? 200 please. [Big Grin]
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
400 more shares of Ralphie. She's on fire! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Give me a round 500 shares of Ralphie, due to her 'beefy arm drunkenness' quote on the Burnination Thread!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

15 shares of MojoJojo! That monkey's on a roll!
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

400 shares of Hobbes for bravery in the face of burnination!
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take 500 of Trogdor.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Oooh. Don't forget what happened to Martha Stewart!

Edit: I better take some Trogdor too though, biz has been picking up. 300 shares please.

[ August 27, 2003, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Gimme' 100 on Chade Fallstar. I want to get in on the ground floor on this one!
eslaine
Member # 5433

Dang, Chade was a good investment!

I'm on a roll! I have got to pick up 500 shares of Youth ap Orem! This guy is quick! [Big Grin]

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I am trading in the pink sheets?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diosmel Duda
Member # 2180

- posted      Profile for Diosmel Duda   Email Diosmel Duda         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh! You people need to take second-grade math again. I missed this the first time around, but reading it now, I have found some wild atrocities. Namely:

Icarus

quote:
::buys Ryuko, Ralphie, Elizabeth, Annie, Diosmel Duda, and TAK::
Godric

quote:
::purchases 10,000 shares in Diosmel Duda::
Hobbes

quote:
Also, 300 of DD since the merger will also boost that stock.
There's a possibility Icarus meant "buys stock in . . . " when he said "buys," but if not, I seem to be spread a little thin (as in, Jatraqueros seem to own more than 100% of me, to say nothing of JB). And then I started adding up how much of Ralphie and celia you people own. Whoa.

And I never even put myself on the market. [Smile]

Posts: 537 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably best that you didn't. Putting yourself on the market is a sure way to devalue your own stock.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
At least I have the consolation of knowing that if anyone has a legitimate claim to you, it's me. [Smile]

No, Saxon, I wasn't talking to you.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.