FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you read your name? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How do you read your name?
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
You probably pronounce it better than me, anyhow! Besides, I just meant that everyone else seems to think it's pronounced Rye-OOO-koh. O_O

And AFR: Yes, I used to think Ctrl-Z! Ctrl-Z!! And a few times when I was a kid, before I knew shortcut keys, I tried to undo something in real life by going up to the menu.

Edit: Oh, no, not that video!!! And being a language with a different alphabet than ours, Japanese can be transliterated many different ways. Which annoys me, because sometimes Shi is transliterated as si, and confuses me. But I digress...

[ August 28, 2003, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
*attempts to poke out own eyes*

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Scary Gay Japanese Men Wearing Fig Leaves Stapled to their BVDs!!!!!

evil evil hatrack

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
5'9"! [Cool]

So, you're more like a character from Tenchi then eh?

Do you have a Cabbit/Battlecruiser?

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sax, there are two 't's in Yatta.
You are, of course, correct. ::hangs head in shame::

quote:
And being a language with a different alphabet than ours, Japanese can be transliterated many different ways.
Well, yes and no. The Japanese actually do use the Roman alphabet in addition to the three of their own. They call it "romaji" (as contrasted to kanji, hiragana and katakana). As such, there is a right way to spell things using that alphabet, however, that doesn't stop people from doing it wrong all over the place.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Although I called Leonide by her real name in the Parachat room once and it seemed to creep her out. Of course, she didn't know I was me, but I still wondered if that was something she didn't want being general knowledge.
Icarus, you're silly! When was this? I don't mind people knowing, i'm just always surprised that they *remember*...that's the key! Everyone can know my real name if they want. Just as long as i don't start getting fan letters and the like. Remember that, people....I come here to take some time away from the hustle-bustle of fame.

[Evil]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

quote:
So, you're more like a character from Tenchi then eh? Do you have a Cabbit/Battlecruiser?
(shudder) All points bulletin! My name is NOT, I repeat, NOT RYOKO!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny, I thought mine was pretty straight-forward, but it's actually pronounced: "NEE-ock"

jk [ROFL]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryoko? O no!
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I read blacwolve; usually with a side thought of either, "yay, they left off the k!" or, "darn, they used the k."
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm used to answering to multiple names, since half of my acquaintances know me as Morgan and the other half as Anneke. It was weird, though when I got a message on my phone from Narrativium when we were trying to arrange a hike in Yellowstone and he said "Hi, Annie!"

I guess I think of myself as Annie in print, but not vocally.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Ryuko, I thought you didn't catch the reference at first.

:sigh of relief:

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

OK, Eslaine, if it's an anime reference, I'll probably catch it. If I know it's an anime reference, but I don't know what it is, I'll look it up.

<--- Obsessive Dweeb.

That was my 1200th post. Woo!

[ August 28, 2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Are you going to have internet access when you leave for school?

Edit: You're obsessive? This is my eleventy-first post as Erik Slaine! [Big Grin]

[ August 28, 2003, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

O.O Hm? Yes. I don't know when... But it'll be much faster than this is.
Member # 4842

- posted      Profile for *           Edit/Delete Post 
Saxon, you got the pronounciation right. The problem is I can't say it right out loud. Oh well [Smile] .
Posts: 353 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

:envy:
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, someone actually noticed me! Is there any way to make my real name disappear so people can actually see my screen name? I only put my real name because I thought it would be like other sites I've been at where it only shows your real name in user look-ups. Can I actually change that so my name doesn't show or should I make a new one before I get too attatched?
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How do you read your name?
Pretty much like I read all the other words. It's tricky for some, but I've been doing it for as long as I remember.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Jules, no. You need to get a new screen name. Just resign up. [Smile]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoo-hoo!
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Kayla, that is left to right, I hope....
aka pbcup
Member # 5591

- posted      Profile for aka pbcup   Email aka pbcup         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this is the member formerly known (by about two people) as Julie. I had to add a space to get the same name back. [Frown]
Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Um, just so you know, aka is a really long-time poster. Can we just call you reese's? [Wink]
Kayla
Member # 2403

Connecticut. Isn't that up near New Hampshire? You know, mack is up there. And there's lots of Jatraqueros in the NY/NJ area. [Smile] Oh, and Maryland/DC. You're in good company up there.
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I can't relate to this problem.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

[Confused]

Is your real name Ryan Hart?

aka pbcup
Member # 5591

- posted      Profile for aka pbcup   Email aka pbcup         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you can call me reese's. The nick-name is actually from fourth grade and it never stuck but I've kept it as my e-mail address so I use it for other things randomly. And for the record, when I read akapbcup I either don't pronounce anything in my head, or I read A.K.A. P. B. Cup. Every once in a while it comes out as ak-ob-cup.

Edit: I just realized what you were talking about. I knew that, though.

[ August 28, 2003, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: aka pbcup ]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it's the name of this guy I completely worship. He is INCREDIBLE. I only wish I were him.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Ryan, watch it. That sounds kinda gay. [Wink]

Reese, I read your name as also known as peanut butter cups. Hey, I have chocolate on the brain, what can I say. [ROFL]

Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I now read my name as Julie. Very simple.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
kwsni, I always pronounce it "koosnee."
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to say Icarus Eyecareus, but I saw some cirque du soliel thing whatere Icarus is a character, and they pronounced it Ickarus, and I liked that better.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I would prefer everyone call me PSI like my fellow Jatraqueros. I get tired of people mispronouncing and misspelling my real name, but it's easy to do because my real name is not pronounced in a traditional way. My kids call me mom, you guys call me PSI (or Paula, which is fine), and my husband calls me "wifey". The few other people that I see from day to day tend to call me something other than my real name too. Wow this is freaking me out! I'm starting to realize that the only people who call me by my real name are my parents and parents-in-law. How weird! No wonder I can't get used to it!
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My kids call me mom,
You have two sons, right? [Wink]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
I like my name. Easy to pronounce. The only thing I dont' like is when people treat me like a pequinino! For the last time, I took my name from one, but I am NOT one!
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I would probably answer to "littlemissattitude" or "lma" quicker than I would to my first name, which I never use.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dannyXcore
Member # 5332

- posted      Profile for dannyXcore   Email dannyXcore         Edit/Delete Post 
I answer to Mr. Core...
Danny...
Dan.....
Daniel.....
I like Mr. Core....
God works, also....sometimes....depends.....

And you're wrong, Emp, the 'X' is silent, not pronounced....

[ August 29, 2003, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: dannyXcore ]

Posts: 146 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to always read it as T.

Only prob is we have lots of T's, it seems.

<T> Being Thor.

T. being T. Analog Kid from time to time.

T being me.

Gets confusing when I see someone say "Your a cool person, T." when in reference to TAK.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dannyXcore
Member # 5332

- posted      Profile for dannyXcore   Email dannyXcore         Edit/Delete Post 
T_Smith's as good a name as any, so that's how I refer to you.... ^_^
Posts: 146 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
I read my name as Orchid. It throws me off when people call me Bella. Especially since there's also a Belle on Hatrack. I believe this discussion has been had before.

I only really answer to two names, one is my real name, and the other is Orchid, which I've responded to as my sn since I was 14.

I don't know, I'm starting to also respond to the call of 'Hatrack's Friendly Neighborhood Witch'.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, Human. Your secret is safe with us. We won't tell the people who think you are a pequinino.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
Online I always think of myself as Deirdre. I first chose the name because it sounded funny to me (it being the default name for the comic female in Monty Python sketches) and I was trying to be all ironic and self-deprecating. But now I've gotten attached to it, and it doesn't seem ironic at all.

I'll answer to Katie, too, but only with some hesitation, partly because katharina also goes by Katie, but mostly because we Katies instinctively hesitate whenever we hear our name, unless the person calling looks us in the eye or is our mother. It's the curse of having a common name.

Oddly enough, after I took this screen name, I started working on a project with a RL Deirdre. Whenever I hear her name, or especially when I see it in an email, I always do a mental double take.

Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus:

quote:
You have two sons, right?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Ha.

[ August 29, 2003, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

PSI, you broke the formatting!

Edit, thanks twoson paula, now I'm the crazy one again!

[ August 29, 2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom is a Katy, and the only one in her generation at that. She grew up being used to having quite the unique name, but then the 80's came around and everyone's offspring were named Katy. She says it took her a good ten years to stop responding to angry mothers in the supermarket.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.