FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Classics Discussion Group (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: A Classics Discussion Group
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
John Steinbeck [Angst]

I read The Pearl in 6th grade...

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm totally in.

The Illiad- Homer (translated by Alexander Pope)

that would be like double classic.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryan, I have that! I started reading it but it's ... it's ..... it's POPE! I mean it's all 18th century and stuff. Nothing like Homer at all! So I quit.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

Yeah. True. I also would suggest Dracula by Bram Stoker
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

More possibilities:

Wilkie Collins: The Woman in White
Albert Camus: The Myth of Sisyphus
D.H.Lawrence: Sons and Lovers
Steinbeck: The Pastures of Heaven
Sinclair Lewis: Arrowsmith
Richard Adams: Traveller

[ September 01, 2003, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

I added those new ones to the bottom of the comprehensive list on the previous page. Why don't we take a vote? Everyone who plans to actually read the book please cast a vote for your preference. We will have a run off if none is a clear winner after the first round. The links take you to pages with blurbs, covers, and reviews, where available. Take a look and cast your votes, folks! [Smile]
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
As I kind of sort of know what the Myth of Sisyphus is about, I'll go for that one.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Okay, looks like we also have 2 votes for The Glass Bead Game and one for Demian.
Chade Fallstar
Member # 5581

- posted      Profile for Chade Fallstar           Edit/Delete Post 
Not many votes going on.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. I'll read anything but Hesse.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

I vote The Persians. I'm a Greek nut.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also for The Persians.

Woot! Tally that vote!

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
The Glass Bead Game
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
Steinbeck sounds good
Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Since the thread originator started with "...any classical work created before, say, 1900 would be fine", perhaps a selection out of ProjectGutenberg?
No disagreements about 'classical'.
With the added benefit that those who cannot find the selected text in a bookstore nearby, can't afford it, do not have a well-stocked library, etc, have easy access to a free source.

[ September 03, 2003, 04:29 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

aspectre has a very good point about the whole "free" thing.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I realize it's not a classic, but it is on the list and I just started reading it anyway so my vote is for Artemis Fowl.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

*bump*

Anyone else going to vote?

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
The Glass Bead Game, I think... from what I hear...
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Don Quixote, Paradise Lost...

Was Jane Austen mentioned?

Victor Hugo!!

(by the way, I don't have time to participate in the reading-discussion group, I'm just making the already-too-long list of suggestions even longer)

[ September 03, 2003, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: jehovoid ]

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Looks like 4 for The Glass Bead Game and 2 for the Persians.

Zalmoxis, you don't like Hesse? I'm curious why not. What of his have you read? I've read Siddhartha, Narcissus and Goldmund, Steppenwolf, and I think that's all, but I love how passionate he is. The Glass Bead Game is the one he supposedly won the Nobel Prize in literature for, though they don't officially assign the prize to a given work. Often it's something in particular that prompts it, and this was his. I just thought it would be worth reading. It's maybe his master work.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

ak: To be honest, I've only read Siddhartha and Steppenwolf and it's been awhile. I guess the lingering impression I have of Hesse is that his prose tries to hard to invest itself with meaning -- too much of the look here! this is allegorical or symbolic.

And in general, I'm just not a fan of the post-WWII male German novelists.

However, I'm always willing to revise my opinion. And I do feel the need to read some German fiction -- it's been a while. And if I'm going to read Hesse it might as well be his meisterwerk.

So:

I'll be reading _The Glass Bead Game_ sometime in the next three weeks -- if any of the rest of you would like to also do so, I'd love to discuss it here at Hatrack.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I put Das Glasperlenspiel on my list as the next German book I want to read for fun. So I vote for that (The Glass Bead Game).
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Show off. [Razz]

The rest of us will read ours in translation.

Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I know about Hesse is that a good friend of mine dated a guy who was really into him and turned out to be a real creep. But I guess I'll take a stab at it.

All 590-some pages of it.

(Heartofadogisonly150somepagesgrumblegrumble.)

[ September 04, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Deirdre ]

Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Hey, now. Be grateful we're not asking you to wade through all 720 pages of Thomas Mann's _The Magic Mountain_

[which is actually a great novel, btw].

Deirdre
Member # 4200

Yeah, but I don't mind reading 720 pages of a good novel. I do mind reading 590 pages of creepy intellectual posturing.

So all I'm saying is, no promises.

Or rather, I promise only that if I don't finish the book I'll try very very hard to control my English class BS reflex and not pretend I know what the book's all about when I only got up to page 73.

Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Oh, yeah! Anyone who hates it please feel free to stop and then rant about why you hated it to all of us! [Smile] That's totally okay. I'll read it too as soon as I finish the book I'm on. (James Baldwin's Giovanni's Room, in case anyone cares.)

Whoever finishes first just start posting here. We will assume there will be spoilers so other people who are reading it too can decide whether to venture in here or not between now and the time they finish.

Deirdre, I'll read Russians with you any time! If we don't pick one for our next one here, then we can do a separate Russian Reading club too, if you like! I can read a book every night or two (if I will limit my hatracking some [Smile] ) so am not even near the saturation point yet.

Deirdre
Member # 4200

I just might take you up on that, ak.

[Cool]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

ak: I'd be interested to hear your take on the female characters in _Giovanni's Room_.
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that website!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I'm almost finished with Anna Karenina, if anyone would like to discuss it. I really like it.
Raia
Member # 4700

I did finish it. I'd be happy to talk about that too. *on time, cough...*

[Razz]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

We don't have to have it finished for 4 weeks, it's not my fault you overachieve. [Razz]
Raia
Member # 4700

Actually, technically we had to have it done before school started... it's not my fault you procrastinate until the teachers decide to give us a break. Sorry, I'm just a better student than you are.

[Razz]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I would have gotten it done if I hadn't talked to the teacher BEFORE school started, and been told I didn't need to.

*looks around*

Oh, were you having a discussion, what? A book group? How nice.

Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
*cough* bump *cough*

This isn't going ahead anymore?

Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

It is for me. I'm reading! [Smile]

I'm still reading Giovanni's room right now, and it's making me very sad. Very sad. For a number of reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with homosexuality. That's why it's taking me so long, I guess. I keep having to steel myself to read on. We already know things turn out disasterously.

Zalmoxis, you asked what I think of the female characters in this book and so far I've only really seen one, the aunt, and she's interesting. She's very strong but also very critical of David's father. Well, should she be? I'm not sure. We don't like her very much. Why not? Maybe because she doesn't really seem to love anyone. The father doesn't either but we don't hold that against him because he's so obviously helpless.

It's very interesting to contrast these characters with the family in Go Tell it on the Mountain which I had thought echoed James Baldwin's own family. In that book the (step)father is definitely the heavy, and the mother is a good guy. But there is still that aunt who is very strong and very critical of her brother. In GTiotM the aunt is fairly sympathetic, in that she at least stands up and tells her brother the truth. That Deborah was not the enemy of anybody.

In this book we really don't like the aunt, nor, so far, the absent girlfriend. She seems to be off trying to decide whether she really loves this guy, and I have to wonder if there is some lack of chemistry in their physical connection that comes from him really preferring and being more attracted to men.

As for Giovanni and the first boyfriend (Joey?), I just feel very very sympathetic to both of them. I really wonder if I'm going to be able to like the viewpoint character at all in this book. How do you give your heart to someone who destroys those he loves most?

[ September 10, 2003, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: ak ]

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the pre-1900 rule. I like Amy Tan and all, but calling her classic reminds me of the "Michael Jordan is an artist" line of thought.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

Okay, believe it or not I really did mean to resurrect this thread today, but someone else did it first. [Smile] ak, you seem to be the one who has collected the votes, so which book are we reading?
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I now have my copy of _The Glass Bead Game_. I'll start reading it this evening.

------

blacwolve: I'm interested in discussing _Anna Karenina_. What do you want to talk about?

I'll start with one comment: one of the things I like about the novel is how Tolstoy actually made me like Vronsky and understand why he would be attractive to Anna. I don't come readymade with sympathy for type-A, reckless, charmers. I tend toward the more brooding, cautious types. But I kind of get Vronsky because Tolstoy renders him so well. The same is true of the other characters in the novel. It's why I like it so much.

-------
ak: I asked because I came away with the novel with the sense that Baldwin doesn't know how to write female characters very well or what to do with them. Part of that (or maybe all of that), of course, has to do with the viewpoint character's attitude towards women so it's hard for me to separate that out from the overall effects of the story.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I was amazed with Tolstoy's characterization. The characters were so utterly believable, it was hard for me to imagine they were all writen by the same man.

(I've never been in a discussion group, I'm not really sure what you're supposed to do)

In other, related news: I just finished The Chosen and was in shock for a day after! I had assumed he would be boring because he's so highly thought of; instead it was incredible! Now I'm almost finished with Davita's Harp which I don't like nearly as well, it's so sad!

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried My Name is Asher Lev? I LOVE that book. [Smile]

[ September 10, 2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
Deirdre, I'll read Russians with you any time! If we don't pick one for our next one here, then we can do a separate Russian Reading club too, if you like!
Hey, how about "The Master and Margarita?" Either next, or now, whatever... I was planning on having that be my second independent reading project in AP lit... it's by Michael Bulgakov, I think... something like that...
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

That hack piece? No way!
ak
Member # 90

I've already read the Master and Margarita, but I'll be glad to discuss it with anyone. Also Anna Karenina, which is my favorite Tolstoy novel.

I was not calling Amy Tan a classic, just giving a wide variety of books for people to choose from. Actually this is only a partial list of books I've got that I'm planning to read. When I go to the bookstore I often pick up several things and sometimes don't read them all before going back again. I tend to read all the fluff first <laughs> then work my way into the deeper stuff as the mood takes me. So I seem to have lots of things lying around waiting to be read at any given time. Which is nice. Sort of a book-storage program for emergencies, though I don't think I have a year's worth collected up yet.

Seems like The Glass Bead Game got the most votes for the first round, so I'll be reading that directly I get done with Giovanni's room. I await other people's thoughts with great anticipation.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

No, I haven't, I just started reading him because The Chosen was small enough to fit under my desk in government, and I'd heard of him before.

I'm reading Far From the Madding Crowd next, for the same reasons.

ak
Member # 90

blacwolve, I LOVE Potok, too, but I've already read almost everything by him. The two Asher Lev books were my absolute favorites, but all his stuff is very good. I'd love to discuss Potok with anyone who is interested as well.
ak
Member # 90

I'm really excited with how many people we have responding to this thread now! Mayhap this will actually take off and become self sustaining. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] I'm thrilled!
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Anna Karenina too. Confession, that's what I thought your ID stood for the first time I saw it. But that's because I'm mental.

I make a motion that when we finally pick a book we change the thread title to that.

I'm not up for arguing in favor of any specific book. I'm not well read in a breadth sense. I'm just to hammered right now. Not by alcohol, FYI, just hammered.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.